hulika

Author Topic: Latin Jazz  (Read 5956 times)

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Latin Jazz
« on: November 13, 2011, 10:31:16 PM »
This is a latin jazz appreciation thread.

Share your experiences and insights about this very enchanting (but sometimes underappreciated) jazz style.

To those born earlier in the world (hehe): I heard Cal Tjader died while touring in manila. I'd love to hear first hand information about the tour and the way he loved the Philippines.

Also, for the benefit latin jazz beginners (myself included) and soon-to-be latin jazz fans, kindly share "must know" artists or songs that duly represent latin jazz and its culturally diverse origins.

Med student. Bassist. Jazz fan.

View my youtube videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/beabass

Offline hatfield110

Re: Latin Jazz
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 07:58:07 PM »
Question. Is Bossa Nova and Samba considered as Latin Jazz since they both originated in Latin America?

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 08:18:10 PM »
Yes they are definitely latin styles.. originating from brazil along with Partido Alto, Baion, etc.

This confuses me as well, kung origin lang ba ang key determinant for classifying music into "latin jazz". The idea sounds kinda off right?

in one book i've read, its definitely latin jazz. In another, its called "latin" lang and theres a genre called "latin jazz" separate from all of these latin styles. Interesting to note that some "legit" latin jazz tracks i've listened to use these styles quite frequently, they even like to switch among them along the song. Here is my inference: all latin styles such as bossa, samba CAN be latin jazz IF they have that key element in jazz... improvisation. :) I hope this makes sense. :)

Another example... Hector Lavoe is not latin jazz... "latin" lang siya. BUT Paquito D'Rivera is. Even though they both migrated from their homeland (and carried the style's authenticity with them) to the states to pursue music. Therefore origin is not the sole determinant. hmm...

Back to your question: Is Bossa Nova and Samba (or any particular "authentic" latin style) considered as latin jazz? The answer is that it depends. Depends on how they play it. hehe. :) Samba in a cultural parade in brazil is different from a samba done by Paquito D'Rivera (sorry, im in love with this artist. hehe). Though there are very similar elements, only the latter is considered as "latin jazz". :)

Care to comment on this, fellow enthusiasts? I might be completely wrong but this is what I think. :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 08:35:27 PM by bea_rox »

Offline hatfield110

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 10:02:47 PM »
Here is my inference: all latin styles such as bossa, samba CAN be latin jazz IF they have that key element in jazz... improvisation. :) I hope this makes sense. :)

I was thinking of the same. :))

Tsaka kung titingnan mo ang kasaysayan at pinagmulan ng Bossa, halos katulad siya ng Jazz, buhay ng mga Brazilian ang pinagmulan. Ang pinagkaiba lang, sa Bossa, mas magaan ang tema ng mga kanta, which is understandable. Definitely, they live better lives than the Afro-American slaves. :| (just my two sentimos hehe)

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 07:32:21 AM »
I was thinking of the same. :))

Tsaka kung titingnan mo ang kasaysayan at pinagmulan ng Bossa, halos katulad siya ng Jazz, buhay ng mga Brazilian ang pinagmulan. Ang pinagkaiba lang, sa Bossa, mas magaan ang tema ng mga kanta, which is understandable. Definitely, they live better lives than the Afro-American slaves. :| (just my two sentimos hehe)

Yes, it shows naman sa music. It reflects their experiences. :) They didnt have it as hard as those in the US, kaya light lang. :) Hehe, its nice to think about no? :p

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 05:52:50 PM »
I like my latin jazz on the spicy salsa side, then again I like it latin big band style like this classic from Dizzy Gillespie.

feature=player_detailpage#t=33s
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 11:24:03 PM »
I like my latin jazz on the spicy salsa side, then again I like it latin big band style like this classic from Dizzy Gillespie.

feature=player_detailpage#t=33s

love this song. :D :D :D im sure you love arturo sandoval's hits too. :D

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 12:34:31 AM »
Although Sandoval has been around for decades my first exposure to him was via a laser disc recording of the GRP bigband live concert recording in Japan. Manteca was the opening number and what an opening number it was. a handful of trumpet players including Sandoval, Chuck Findley and Randy Brecker. and with Weckl and Pattituci on rhythm their performances were as slick as they could get. as in sterile na nga eh. which could be good or bad either way. 

Dizzy Gillespie was partly responsible for getting Arturo Sandoval to the States. there was a movie about this.
wala lang trivia.
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 05:53:50 PM »
Although Sandoval has been around for decades my first exposure to him was via a laser disc recording of the GRP bigband live concert recording in Japan. Manteca was the opening number and what an opening number it was. a handful of trumpet players including Sandoval, Chuck Findley and Randy Brecker. and with Weckl and Pattituci on rhythm their performances were as slick as they could get. as in sterile na nga eh. which could be good or bad either way. 

Dizzy Gillespie was partly responsible for getting Arturo Sandoval to the States. there was a movie about this.
wala lang trivia.
Yes sir, Dizzy Gillespie has helped a lot of talented young musicians, even from "outside" his reach. <3 I love manteca!! Wish I could view that concert sir. Konti lang yung nasa youtube.

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 01:34:50 PM »
Chick Corea is Latino. but most of his rep is modern jazz.

Same w/ Carlos Santana. He has jammed w/ the jazz heavyweights like Miles, John McLaughlin, Mc Coy Tyner, Ron Carter, Joe Zawinul, Wayne Shorter, & the list goes on... yet, his music is "classified" as Latin Rock...  :-D

Offline starkiller

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 11:13:29 PM »
I find it hard to believe that the father of bossa nova, Antonio Carlos Jobim, hasn't been mentioned in this Latin jazz thread :)  And every time one talks about Jobim, Joao Gilberto, Astrud Gilberto, Stan Getz, and Carlie Byrd are also always in the mix.

Growing up, my dad always played Latin and jazz samba records and CDs.  Besides Carlos Santana, Jobim is my other major Latin guitar influence.  And yes, I find it a little bit under-appreciated.  On acoustic, my friends within my age group (early 30s) mostly like acoustic rock and folk... lots of arpeggiated chords.  Ako lang ang bumabanat ng jazz samba-style jazz chords and syncopated tempo... hindi sila maka-relate, haha.

Another type of Latin Jazz music I like is Gypsy Jazz.  Same story... my dad always liked the music of The Gypsy Kings (sumikat kasi yung "Volare" noon).  I was amazed with the musics percussive tempo and high-speed lead runs. 

They -- bossa nova and Gypsy Jazz -- are both Latin Jazz, but sound drastically different.  With bossa, there are a lot of jazzy chords, chords substitutions, and laid-back syncopated tempo... but the improvisation is more conservative.    With Gypsy Jazz,  you get upbeat percussive tempo, at a lot of improvisation using diminished scale runs and embellished diminished arpeggios.  In fact, the diminished scale runs are very similar to shred guitar.

And back to Santana, Latin Rock naman.  His riffs and licks are mostly pentatonic and blues-based.  But in a good number of his songs, the rhythm accompaniment has the same syncopated tempo of bossa nova and samba, and Latin percussion.  Same story again... whenever I play classic Satana riffs like the ones from Oye Como Va and No One To Depend On, no one in my age group can relate to me.  My friends are only familiar with Santana's crossover stuff like Smooth from the Supernatural album.

I don't know if I have my theory terms entirely are accurate... I'm just self taught :)  I just know that a good part of my guitar influences are the Latin guys.

Offline lifestory08

• Netizen Level
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 04:16:19 AM »
mga sir baka pwede naman magpaturo sa inyo
jerson

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 12:56:55 PM »
mga sir baka pwede naman magpaturo sa inyo

shameless plug... :-D

ako po, hair & make up tinuturo ko...   :lol:

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 01:46:53 PM »
Carlos Santana. Mizmo!  :-D

Offline starkiller

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 10:38:35 PM »
^^ WOW, Carlos Santana! I hope he gets to do a concert here in Manila

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 03:14:39 PM »
I find it hard to believe that the father of bossa nova, Antonio Carlos Jobim, hasn't been mentioned in this Latin jazz thread :)  And every time one talks about Jobim, Joao Gilberto, Astrud Gilberto, Stan Getz, and Carlie Byrd are also always in the mix.

Thanks for the informative reply!! :)
Yes, they are THE key people in brazilian jazz ie Bossa Nova and Samba, the more popular latin styles along with Songo. hehe! :)
I do not think they are unappreciated at all, i guess compared to the other latin subtypes! hehe! :)

And btw, i get you when people your age "can't relate" - thats why we are here in this thread. hehe!!

Offline Chum

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 03:03:16 PM »
Just saw this thread.

I have to mention Luis Bonfa. He composed, among others, Samba de Orfeu and Manha de Carnival... Very good guitarist! One of my favorite albums of his is Braziliana, also featuring Maria Toledo, his wife at that time. 

Maria Toledo is another singer who should be mentioned because she recorded not only with Bonfa but also with Stan Getz. "Maria Toledo Sings The Best Of Luis Bonfa" is a very good album, if you can find it.  Sometimes I find her voice more sensual than Astrud, but that's just me...

Chum
Immanuel Kant, BUT Genghis Khan!!!