hulika

Author Topic: Transparency with affiliations with music gear businesses  (Read 8840 times)

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
Transparency with affiliations with music gear businesses
« on: August 14, 2013, 10:52:51 AM »
I ran across this notice in TGP just now:

"Based on the number of complaints about members who are affiliated with music gear businesses not disclosing that fact in their signatures, this is a reminder that we do require it. "Affiliation" is meant to include owning a music gear business, being employed by such a business, being paid by a business (either in cash or gear) for work done on behalf of a business or receiving a benefit of any type for posting about a business. Please see our Rules for further information. Members who do not list their affiliations clearly in their signatures risk being sanctioned. The goal here is to make sure that appropriate disclosure is made so that readers will understand possible biases."
(emphasis mine)

I think it's a good idea to require members who are affiliated with music gear businesses (stores, manufacturers) of this, so we know where they're coming from when they post their opinions about certain gear.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
Re: Transparency with affiliations with music gear businesses
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 12:11:47 PM »
yes, i have read that same disclaimer too on talkbass ... i am all go for it.

Offline mcf

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 12:14:43 PM »
Please read our Service Policy.

Offline Riff_6603

• Philmusicus Moderatus
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 03:27:00 AM »
Indeed. We have a number of forumites though who are openly known to be affiliated with certain brands/distributors. If ever, would a sanction be in order if they fail to disclose said relations? Some type of coercion, albeit a mild one might be needed should their cooperation fail, me thinks.

Offline rtf_axeman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 07:42:18 AM »
does this include small scale independent distributors?

Offline mcf

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 09:57:41 AM »

rtf_axeman, where and how is the line drawn? So IMO, I think it should.

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 03:41:35 PM »
Indeed. We have a number of forumites though who are openly known to be affiliated with certain brands/distributors. If ever, would a sanction be in order if they fail to disclose said relations? Some type of coercion, albeit a mild one might be needed should their cooperation fail, me thinks.

Given that the forumite isn't cooperating despite confirming the affiliation, maybe the moderator can just add in the forumite's signature: "affiliated with/employed by XXX company". Forumite must retain the signature or else his account/email address would be suspended for a month or until compliance.

However, discretion to display or not to display affiliation (for whatever purpose) must rest with the Jim-ocracy and his minions. I dare not question the wisdom. This is not my house.

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 03:51:09 PM »
rtf_axeman, where and how is the line drawn? So IMO, I think it should.

Ya me too. I think you're within the line as long as you have a store or a shop, meaning there's an inventory of products, official distributorship, employees, or a steady stream of customers. Pag pa-order service lang (e.g., any brand or site, or according to convenience), I don't think there's basis for economic bias, so beyond bounds na sila. Besides, if you're small-scale, you post your service in your signatures anyways. (or meron bang hindi?)

Offline mcf

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 05:39:08 PM »
I've seen a lot of misunderstanding about the word 'distributor'. So for the record...

In a simplified illsutration, the distribution chain across the planet goes this way (by and large):

Manufacturer -> Distributor (for each country, for all, one, or some products) -> Dealers ("wholesalers") -> End User

I think the ruling should cover anyone affiliated with a Manufacturer (such as Korg or Elegee), Distributor (such as Audiophile), Dealer (such as JVS Audio System in Davao), including their Agents (those not in their employ that..."refer"...and earn from sales leads)

And by inigo's definition:
"... "Affiliation" is meant to include owning a music gear business, being employed by such a business, being paid by a business (either in cash or gear) for work done on behalf of a business or receiving a benefit of any type for posting about a business ... The goal here is to make sure that appropriate disclosure is made so that readers will understand possible biases."

even the order-takers forever trying to fly under the radar, living off the hard work of distributors and dealers, must once and for all also step up.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:58:01 PM by mcf »

Offline jefisipbata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 09:46:56 AM »
does this include small scale independent distributors?

yup, dapat nasa sig.

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 01:53:55 PM »
@mods... Any updates on this? :)