hulika

Author Topic: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?  (Read 104515 times)

Offline aHeartThatNeverFade

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2013, 10:46:51 AM »
Goldea AT-30 lang talaga ang na-try ko honestly.  :lol: But IMHO, "better" sounding ang Goldea kesa sa Bandit ko in terms of clean sound. Sa dirt using SH, "better" naman ang Bandit. Ayan lang. Probinsyano lang ako na namumuhay sa bukid.  :wave:
For He satisfies my longing soul and fills my hungry soul with goodness. -Psalms 107:9

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2013, 11:07:51 AM »
It would be nice if a guitarist is blindfolded and his guitar is routed to a tube and solid state amp and then see if he can "feel" which one is which :)
Melody over speed anytime!

Offline toybitz

« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2013, 11:15:45 AM »
imho, it depends on your taste...

but dig this, solid state amps try to emulate the sound of tube amps. 8)
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2013, 11:55:49 AM »
It would be nice if a guitarist is blindfolded and his guitar is routed to a tube and solid state amp and then see if he can "feel" which one is which :)

I think there's a video in youtube comparing a JCM900 vs. an MG100. If you're used to listening both, then you can distinguish them aurally even on a blind test.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 12:22:05 PM by tonwins11 »
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline batang80s

« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2013, 12:31:55 PM »
Don't rely 100% on youtube demos. It compresses the audio too much. Not to mention the speakers/headphones you're using, will also affect it.

I'm with FM55, it has to be seen and heard. There are good SS out there, but I prefer tubes. A lot of SS/digital hybrid amps simulates how a tube behaves. Even all these Kempler, Axe FX etc-etc, they all copy what a good tube amp sounds.

Offline teleleng

« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2013, 03:07:07 PM »
This is interesting. Although I'm trying to be in the market for a good tube amp nowadays, it seems there is really no clear cut answer as to why a tube amp should sound better than a ss...Preference wise, if one can't really distinguish between a tube and a ss aurally and as a guitarist user, then it just boils down on how much time you would are willing spend time in amp maintenance and forget about which one really do sound better cause both of them are still relevant at present...If we were to believe that tube amps really do sound better then many of us would say that "it just boils down to ones preference", then we can safely say that buying a good tube amp should be taken in a "proceed at your own risk" kinda perspective...

Offline juwanfidle09

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2013, 03:10:54 PM »
walang mas maganda kasi pangit pareho at panis pa din sila sa karaoke. :lol:

seriously speaking, personal preference na rin talaga ang usapan dito. maraming factors talaga yung dapat iconsider tulad ng sinabi ni shredmaestrobri :)

Offline jehed

« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2013, 04:11:42 PM »
Kawawa naman mga SS... But to/not to answer your question- There's a LOT of factors to consider on assessing which is better, not just "tube"-"solid state". I prefered an SS over a tube for my purchase once..
AND, I've been gigging and recording with my Randall RG1503 for a couple of months and it has been amazing everytime! I recommend it!!

Butt.. Would I trade my SS RG1503 to a Tube Randall Satan or 'some-other-tube-amp-that-im-in-favor-but-too-many-to-mention' if asked? Well... YES!!!

Lets not discourage our fellow musicians that their SS sounds like [gooey brown stuff] or they will never sound as good as the ones playing with tubes.. Kasi baka yun lang talaga ang kaya at the moment... Sabi nga nila.. Wala sa pana yan- nasa Indian!
and thats the fun i have though.

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2013, 04:37:12 PM »
For me, it all boils down to being practical. If you can't bring it to a gig then what's the point? If I have a roady and a van then a 100W Marshall AFD is fine. But I only have myself and a sedan so my Behringer GMX212 is fair game because it fits in the trunk and sounds like a real Marshall. After I broke my right leg, 2x12 is getting too heavy so I opted for a Peavey Bandit 112. It still sounds like a real tube amp. I have no complaints so far. If I sound [gooey brown stuff] then there is nothing to blame but myself. It would be a very different story though if you still sound [gooey brown stuff] in a real Marshall tube LOL!!!
Melody over speed anytime!

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2013, 04:52:26 PM »
Kawawa naman mga SS... But to/not to answer your question- There's a LOT of factors to consider on assessing which is better, not just "tube"-"solid state". I prefered an SS over a tube for my purchase once..
AND, I've been gigging and recording with my Randall RG1503 for a couple of months and it has been amazing everytime! I recommend it!!
Butt.. Would I trade my SS RG1503 to a Tube Randall Satan or 'some-other-tube-amp-that-im-in-favor-but-too-many-to-mention' if asked? Well... YES!!!
Lets not discourage our fellow musicians that their SS sounds like [gooey brown stuff] or they will never sound as good as the ones playing with tubes.. Kasi baka yun lang talaga ang kaya at the moment... Sabi nga nila.. Wala sa pana yan- nasa Indian!

Bro, honestly, when I heard you play thru your RG1503 with my 2x12 at Mike's place, I swear I liked the tone. I was surprised to know that it was a solid state amp. For the stuff you play, it kills.  :mrgreen:

Now I'm not saying that it's better than a tube amp. But hey, for the price you got everything, I don't think any high gain tube amp on the same price range (if there's any) would sound as good as your rig.

Offline jehed

« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2013, 05:25:54 PM »
WOW!!! Pero it won't sound the same without your custom 2x12 pareng chino. I'm very happy with the randall+the-cab-you-built combo so thats why im still thankful!! Will share you a demo once were done ah? hehehe!

Bro, honestly, when I heard you play thru your RG1503 with my 2x12 at Mike's place, I swear I liked the tone. I was surprised to know that it was a solid state amp. For the stuff you play, it kills.  :mrgreen:

Now I'm not saying that it's better than a tube amp. But hey, for the price you got everything, I don't think any high gain tube amp on the same price range (if there's any) would sound as good as your rig.
and thats the fun i have though.

Offline youthanasia

« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »
Jist depends on what type of sound you're looking for. Kinda like comparing apples to oranges.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2013, 09:03:30 PM »
WOW!!! Pero it won't sound the same without your custom 2x12 pareng chino. I'm very happy with the randall+the-cab-you-built combo so thats why im still thankful!! Will share you a demo once were done ah? hehehe!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jist depends on what type of sound you're looking for. Kinda like comparing apples to oranges.

True.

Marshall MG50 drive channel (even if it sucks) will sound better than a 70s silverface Fender Twin Reverb with the master volume pulled for drive. Hehe.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2013, 09:10:33 PM »

Kaso napatay ng mga cowboy ang mga Indian gamit ng single action Colt revolver! Heh Heh.  I do agree with you that fellow musicians can and will use their SS but at some point they have to upgrade to something better.  And guitar tube amps are superior to solid state amps.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2013, 09:23:09 PM »
if my options are..

this tube amp

and this solid state

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2013, 10:12:30 PM »
if my options are..

this tube amp

and this solid state

then which one would you choose then?
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2013, 10:13:07 PM »
This...

:-D
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline maximus0fficial

• Veteran Member
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2013, 10:20:44 PM »
tube adds saturation to the signal

mas maganda tlaga tubo

Offline acidtest

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2013, 03:53:03 AM »
if my options are..

this tube amp

and this solid state

I'll go for the Roland any day on those two.  Maybe it's just me, (and off topic) but I think the better question would be, 'If the amp is good, do you really care if it's tube or not?'
- Joyo AC tone demo

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=736032  
feature=related  KBP musicfest teaser - 'Nandito lang' - entry number w00511

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2013, 05:40:21 AM »
I'd gig or tour with a good and reliable brand of solid state amp no problem. Mahirap na mag crap out ang tube in the middle of nowhere at mabigat din tube amps. pero kung may mga roadies, durable cases and reliable transpo, id take a tube amp in a snap.

solid states are spartan, though.   

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2013, 05:50:24 AM »
I'd take a tube preamp and run it into two ZT Clubs if I had to tour.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline nickson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2013, 06:17:04 AM »
Not necessarily true because some of my fuzz boxes sound sweeter with the ZT Lunchbox Jr than the Fender Tweed.

If I wasn't happy with the solid state, it probably got sold a week after the buy. It's good to have options.

I also had a chance to try a ZT Club and I think they are awesome, awesome amps. Pakiramdam ko nagvvibrate talaga nya yung air around the amp when it plays. You get that big sound. Specially liked it more when Saturn/Return was playing through it with his sweet Les Paul Studio, and when we got to try the BeeBaa on it. Wall of sound.

Sh*t I gotta look for a cheap one on the ads.
“I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it.., seek knowledge from those wiser than me and try to teach those who wish to learn from me.”

― Duane Allman

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2013, 06:47:05 AM »
I second that ZT Club! It also sounds good when connected to external cabs with its speakers also in operation. Takes pedals well in front and its power amp is also clean and responsive it takes well to modelers or pre amp pedals.

I'd be happy with a ZT Club rig and a Randall rig. 

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2013, 07:09:23 AM »

then which one would you choose then?

i own a jc120 and have tried the kustom defender 5watter,  i would pick the roland any day,

i really dont know what the selling point of the defender 5 watter, cleans were not decent sounding, the head was plug through a used blackstar 8 cab, i returned the unit to musicgoround the next day..i was at some point into lower wattage amps around the 5-15 watt, i tried all i could find and blackstar / e-wave / bugera at those times had amps that deliver good cleans

I'll go for the Roland any day on those two.  Maybe it's just me, (and off topic) but I think the better question would be, 'If the amp is good, do you really care if it's tube or not?'

exactly..let your ears be the judge of tone, not your eyes...