hulika

Author Topic: 2nd (?) Philippines International Jazz fest  (Read 5739 times)

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: 2nd (?) Philippines International Jazz fest
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2007, 11:30:22 AM »
Undoubtedly.... the brazilians are THE BRAZILIANS. The real deal.

Am just thankful that some pinoys haven't let versions of this music just disappear from the scene, crossover or not. Joey P. and I were saying that the local bands are to be commended for getting up there and doing it in an entertaining way, with some great playing from individual guys.  What drove us nuts were the plumed and costumed dancers -- some of those bodies had no right being in those outfits -- Ugh.

Don't know if the big girl was their daughter. But wow -- what pipes. Very bluesy too.

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: 2nd (?) Philippines International Jazz fest
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2007, 11:47:08 AM »
I did some quick Internet research, yes that robust girl is Flora and Airto's daughter alright. Her name is Diana Booker and she's married to the band's percussionist Krishna Booker. Diana has inherited her mother's face and hair and that voice --- sounds just like Flora in her twenties. You could close your eyes and not tell the difference except for having less of a Portugese accent because she's an American. Her rendition of "Bridges" with just electric piano and voice, first sung in the original portugese, then segued to English, sent chills up my spine, and I don't even like the song all that much! Also dug that Nina Simone blues song.

Diana and Krishna's own music borders on nu jazz and triphop, a little taste of what we heard in the concert. I also find it interesting that Flora's daughter (a singer) wound up marrying a percussionist as well.

Some info on Diana: http://www.lamusicacademy.com/departments/vocals/instructors.asp

Other trivia - Krishna is Wayne Shorter's nephew.

I also checked up on the bassist Gary Brown - he's American as well. Maybe the other musicians are american as well, but hanging out with Flora and Airto allows them to "carry" the brazillian vibe quite well.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 11:55:00 AM by Jim Ayson »
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom