hulika

Author Topic: BLUE RATS....95'-present.a decade of blues  (Read 131768 times)

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
BLUE RATS....95'-present.a decade of blues
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2006, 03:46:24 PM »
aaahhh the name of the blue rats reunion

"talong party revisited"
:lol: ang pangit!hehehehe
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
whatever happened to? part III
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2006, 05:09:11 PM »
miguel o. and tricie g.

well...i last saw him near santa monica,attending a benefit show with pinoy bands (and some white rock bands) held court.

right about the time before he went to australia to be with his better half tricie g. told me...eventually they're gonna tie the knot na....and maybe have their own set of little blues musicians in the future. :wink:
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
Re: whatever happened to? part II
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2006, 06:45:58 PM »
Quote from: blue buddha
Ok, when is the next "Talong Party"?  :lol:

Ask Apa... He's the one who got those gigs, di ba?  :lol:  And didn't we swear that we'd never do that again? Maybe we should for the benefit of those not in the know...  :lol:
Imagine a world without bass...

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2006, 07:03:24 PM »
Maybe we shouldn't.... for the benefit of us.  :lol:  :lol:

Offline kamots

« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2006, 08:07:18 PM »
Woah. Cool thread. Well, worth every single second I spent reading it.

Thanks for sharing maestros. Judging from the, apparent humilty and grace, in your posts a lot of us would do well to learn from you guys.   8)
walang maisip

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2006, 08:36:47 PM »
Quote from: kamots

Thanks for sharing maestros. Judging from the, apparent humilty and grace, in your posts a lot of us would do well to learn from you guys.   8)

The tune is from Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suites.  :wink:  And thanks for the complement. See you at the gigs sometime.  :)
Imagine a world without bass...

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2006, 10:25:42 PM »
Quote from: dopedeeva
...Who even knew that singing blues with these dudes could save one's soul from the cudgels of corporate impropriety? :) Hallelujah!

you're living my dream. after resigning from my first job, i'd seriously thought about (even told my parents about it, to which i got a lot of rolled eyes and deep sighs) taking a couple of years off to follow my muse.

now if we could only work on those scary old men lurking around at gigs going RAAARRR unexpectedly :shock:

hey. we're not that old...

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2006, 03:47:11 AM »
B2D, shoot! i'll see if i still have that email and will send it to you in a more godly hour...:)

Quote from: nathanmanansala
...Who even knew that singing blues with these dudes could save one's soul from the cudgels of corporate impropriety? :) Hallelujah!

you're living my dream. after resigning from my first job, i'd seriously thought about (even told my parents about it, to which i got a lot of rolled eyes and deep sighs) taking a couple of years off to follow my muse.

now if we could only work on those scary old men lurking around at gigs going RAAARRR unexpectedly :shock:

Nathan, thanks man! It was a huge twist of fate, really. I never even thought I'd EVER sing again. But if you ask me, I'd say do it. If it doesn't work out for you after a while, then quit it. At least you tried :) Say hello to your muse while you still can. It might just be YOU she's waiting for...

The word "old" as defined here refers to the 50 and above range...whitey can affirm this :) All the more reason why the blues should be kept alive now...young people who fancy Paris Hilton's new video should know what they are missing (but then again, maybe i'm pushing it too far...)
"When I see waste here, I feel angry on the inside. I don't approve of myself getting angry. But it's something you can't help after seeing Ethiopia." - Mother Teresa

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2006, 05:33:01 AM »

The word "old" as defined here refers to the 50 and above range...whitey can affirm this :) ...

:shock: kami pala yun!  :oops:  :lol:

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2006, 06:56:07 AM »
Quote from: vegetablejoe

The word "old" as defined here refers to the 50 and above range...whitey can affirm this :) ...

you know, i think i actually did hear veggie joe swoon and go RAAARRR. tas tinuturo nya yung katabi nya when people looked at him funny. be grateful for that. tinulugan lang nya yung D3 e.

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2006, 07:44:47 AM »
Quote from: kamots

Kind words are much appreciated. Frankly, we're really not maestros.... well, maybe Joey is.  :lol:  

Aside from Mai and Kim who are just sliding into the prime of their lives, the rest of us are really just a bunch of hacks who have never forgotten what incredible things music can do to feed the soul, and who have been lucky enough not to have lost whatever meager skills we developed in our youth -- just enough not to completely embarass ourselves in public and just maybe have an occasional out of body experience once in a while onstage. That anyone would actually pay us to do this once in a while still blows me away.

If there are any nuggets of wisdom to have been learned along the way, perhaps the most valuable is this: To keep a good thing going, it's really important to have a sense of perspective about all this and not end up developing an inflated sense of self, an attitude of entitlement, and living one's life as if it were always a pissing contest. It's not rocket science folks. The real substance of the blues and rock 'n' roll has always been about questioning the status quo, doing something to make it better, and having a barn-stormin' good time while you're at it. Really, if more people embraced this rather quaint idea, we'd be living in a far kinder world.  :wink:

Hehe. You should have expected that Nate. Our "muse" to a great degree has always been about rebellion and something ephemeral -- the very things that make parents go  :roll: ...  [-(  ... and  :doubt: . That's just the way it is -- no doubt they had some idea what that could mean in terms of being able to put something on the table. Mahirap din dito sa atin. Glad you're playing tho'....... am sure you are!

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2006, 08:02:35 AM »
glad to have been part of it ...always brothers and sisters in the blue rats family.

more than anything....i not only miss the gigs and out of body experiences onstage with blue rats. i miss the cameraderie. well, not to take away from the other bands i joined...they were all good friends too.
it's just that even if the attitude of blue rats were laidback in general, i'd say we inspired and made a lot of people happy through our music....i mean genuinely---i think that is our purpose as musicians in general...bluesmen in particular.

blues----although most people would think is kinda depressing and negative.it's more than that.it's expressing your inner soul...your deeper self...hell...your singin about your troubles....and expreesing that...acknowledging that you couldnt take it anymore....that brings a sort enlightenment to the soul...

wether from the perspective of the performer...or from the observer's standpoint....expressing or witnessing these acts of total submissiveness...will turn the negative emotions into positive...

the promise of a brand new day so to speak.

well, getting down and dirty will also do that     :twisted: ... :lol:  

the blues is alive...long live the blue rats!

and the saga continues!!!!!  8)

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2006, 08:19:03 AM »

And it's the Blue Rats for cryin out loud...It's not just ANY band. Who even knew that singing blues with these dudes could save one's soul from the cudgels of corporate impropriety? :)

Hmmmm..... it occurs to me that I knew that.....  :lol:

....won't be too long before some of us will be scary old men lurking around at gigs going RAAARRR unexpectedly -- will be scarier because we'll have guitars slung around our necks or drumsticks poking out from strange places. Someone already has a harp clenched between his teeth. :mrgreen:

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2006, 09:04:27 AM »
Quote from: blues2death
glad to have been part of it ...always brothers and sisters in the blue rats family.

more than anything....i not only miss the gigs and out of body experiences onstage with blue rats. i miss the cameraderie. well, not to take away from the other bands i joined...they were all good friends too.
it's just that even if the attitude of blue rats were laidback in general, i'd say we inspired and made a lot of people happy through our music....i mean genuinely---i think that is our purpose as musicians in general...bluesmen in particular.

blues----although most people would think is kinda depressing and negative.it's more than that.it's expressing your inner soul...your deeper self...hell...your singin about your troubles....and expreesing that...acknowledging that you couldnt take it anymore....that brings a sort enlightenment to the soul...

wether from the perspective of the performer...or from the observer's standpoint....expressing or witnessing these acts of total submissiveness...will turn the negative emotions into positive...

the promise of a brand new day so to speak.

well, getting down and dirty will also do that     :twisted: ... :lol:  

the blues is alive...long live the blue rats!

and the saga continues!!!!!  8)

B2d, o, nagsesenti ka yata ah! Dapat talaga reunion time soon.... maybe June 2007? If we're still around then, that will be 12 years. Wow. If all the surviving Rats gathered, one could probably put 4 complete bands together! There have been so many of us that we forgot to mention others... like Francis Magat (!) now of Salindiwa -- he was briefly a Rat too. And other jammers... Perf de Castro, Paolo and the other Mr. Crayon guys, Pinikpikan, Wolf Gemora, Louie Talan,.... now that would be something.

We were talking about this thread last night at rehearsal (lahat na-adik na sa thread na 'to) and realized there are even more outrageous stories -- maybe best relegated to when the beer is flowing....

But thanks for starting this conversation. Sure brought back a lot of memories. Tricie texted from downunder and remarked how amazing it was that we had done all these strange things. Well, as they say, maybe it's a portent of other stranger things to come....  :lol:

Keep well and stay out of trouble, y'hear?  8)

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2006, 11:22:56 AM »
this thread deserves to be immortalized...B2D, you gotta add some photos here (of the stetson and the poncho perhaps? I think that I gotta see...)

some of us were left in the dark during that explosive blues heyday and your vivid account has been a fascinating adventure so far...kulang na lang ng visual aid :)

[/img]

here ya go dopedeeva.

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2006, 12:07:05 PM »
this thread deserves to be immortalized...B2D, you gotta add some photos here (of the stetson and the poncho perhaps? I think that I gotta see...)

some of us were left in the dark during that explosive blues heyday and your vivid account has been a fascinating adventure so far...kulang na lang ng visual aid :)

[/img]

here ya go dopedeeva.

we were just talking about this b2d! last night at practice...

say, did you really wear this unique ensemble on the beach? :)
"When I see waste here, I feel angry on the inside. I don't approve of myself getting angry. But it's something you can't help after seeing Ethiopia." - Mother Teresa

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2006, 12:19:52 PM »

why not?  :lol:

anyway the show was night time....and kinda windy.anyway i thought it looked cool....even though it was the beach.

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2006, 12:34:48 PM »
Quote from: vegetablejoe

you know, i think i actually did hear veggie joe swoon and go RAAARRR. tas tinuturo nya yung katabi nya when people looked at him funny. be grateful for that. tinulugan lang nya yung D3 e.

oops! i didn't mean to push the wrong buttons here :) i'm grateful, more than you know...

there's no problem with the swooning, only with the excessive drooling especially before kissing me. :shock: try to be the girl in this case for a change...

unless veggie joe is a foreigner who drones on onstage when he jams and considers Hobbit House his lair, then he's definitely NOT old...(and if he slept through D3, that means he's hip...no offense Joric!!!) :)

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2006, 12:41:41 PM »

why not?  :lol:

anyway the show was night time....and kinda windy.anyway i thought it looked cool....even though it was the beach.

it probably was :) don't mind what these guys are saying, they're just "inggit" with your getup :)

Offline ortigas

Re: whatever happened to? part II
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2006, 01:22:16 PM »
Quote from: blue buddha
.... Ok, when is the next "Talong Party"?  :lol:

hoy!!! teka, teka, teka! sama ako dyan!  :twisted:

Offline ortigas

« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2006, 03:12:12 PM »
ok...speaking of talong party, do you guys remember that that was the 1st time i actually played with you guys on the drums? prior to that, i had only sung with you all (drunk and badly too!  :lol: ). bosyo called me over and handed me the sticks so i got on the kit. there i was, pounding along and having a good time when all of a sudden trice turns around and continues singing the rest of the song without facing the audience. the stage was quite high so i couldn't see what was going on at the front of it. needless to say, there was some nasty action going on! mwahaha!

guess nalang. hehehe.

oh, yeah, at the dressing/bed room they gave us to hang in, apa lay down on a wet spot!  :shock:

Offline ortigas

« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2006, 03:22:06 PM »
did i say too much? nah...no one knows pa rin what happened there... :lol:  :shock:  :twisted:  :wink:

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2006, 03:25:31 PM »
Lintek ka talaga Migs. That's supposed to be a closely guarded trade secret -- the memory of the talong party is where the Rats' mojo resides!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

But not on the wet spot.  :lol:

Offline whitey

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2006, 03:35:59 PM »
Apa lying down on a wet spot is pretty mild. Give us the real dirt. I v'e heard so many stories but mind you all behind closed doors and Iv'e been sworn to secrecy. Blue Rats code of ethics is a live and living.

Offline Beatrice Gomez

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2006, 04:17:18 PM »
Quote from: ortigas
did i say too much? nah...no one knows pa rin what happened there... :lol:  :shock:  :twisted:  :wink:

Wet spot is an understatement!!! But enough of the Talong Party!!!! ENOUGH!!!!!  [-X  This secret must stay within the circle of trust.

I have to post some pictures and stuff. Will do soon.

Dopediva, don't worry about the dudes that come up to you for a kiss. I used to use my hair as a splash guard so their laway wouldn't reach my face :lol: