hulika

Author Topic: "No good sounding Ibanez guitar" talk (offshoot of "..Good old, Cheaper Set-up")  (Read 50236 times)

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
George Benson sounds pretty goodto me.
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
Personally din, when strumming an ibanez unplugged and then comparing it to Fender strats or the like, it's not as resonant as with the latter. I'm not a fan of ibanez, but I know a lot of respected people who uses it and sounds good.
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
Ibanez sounds decent depending on what type of music you want to play. If you play like Vai or Satch who uses a lot of effects Ibanes really sounds good. But if you're the time who looks for a more transparent sound, then Ibanez is not for you.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
George Benson sounds pretty goodto me.

He use SS amps right?

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
That being said...  I did NOT start this thread.  Someone hacked into my ID.

I just split the posts in this thread from the "Reverting to the Old, Cheaper Setup" thread. There seemed to be another discussion on Ibanez guitars so I just made a new topic for it.

Carry on, guys.
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
Yup.... His distortion is kind of harsh.

I disagree, Alex. This, may once again fall under the "preference" category but I honestly think that PG has one of the best guitar tones out there. It's unique, distinctive and recognizable right off the bat. His dirt tone is not "harsh" at all. I'd prefer the term "sharp." But not sharp enough to make your ears bleed.
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
The general sentiment is enlightening. ...so even from the Ibanez AS series, wala rin good sounding guitar? ... am seriously curious.

Sounds fine to me.
http://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10151144863498234

Offline Chum

• Forum Fanatic
Hi Alex,

Would this statement apply to all Ibanez, or just the new ones (lets give a cut-off year, maybe)?

While I don't claim to be an Ibby fan (I only have one Ibby, and I still haven't tested it, its still with Micsis and I had him REPLACE EVERYTHING LOL), even some of the Jazz greats use 'em, like John Scofield for example. Would the statement apply to the old Jazz boxes and 335 copies as well (hmmmm the so-called "Lawsuit" era guitars)? On a further note, would this also apply to rodded guitars, or those that have been modified a bit (change of pickups, maybe)?

And yep, I agree that a guy paid to play a guitar would make do with his "signature" model, but maybe the statement may be too generally applied?

Really curious of course  :-P

Chum
Immanuel Kant, BUT Genghis Khan!!!

Offline blancer

• Veteran Member
ang pangit pala ng tone ng mga to:

vai, satriani, gilbert, timmons, stanley, scofield, moore, metheny, li, gambale, friedman, benson, buckethead etc.... :-D
Good girls go to heaven,
Bad girls go to my room...

Offline throwinshapes

• Forum Fanatic
I disagree, Alex. This, may once again fall under the "preference" category but I honestly think that PG has one of the best guitar tones out there. It's unique, distinctive and recognizable right off the bat. His dirt tone is not "harsh" at all. I'd prefer the term "sharp." But not sharp enough to make your ears bleed.

Not to mention it's perfectly tailored to his chops and style. The Fireman + Injector pickups give his fast runs amazing clarity, absolutely not muddy or harsh at all. I prefer his tone now a lot more than when he was still using Laney amps. :)

I probably wouldn't pay for a signature or Prestige/Premium Ibanez guitar upwards of $1000... At that range, I'd probably go for a Rasmus or G&L instead. And for the price of a J. Custom, I'd go with a Suhr Modern. That being said, I'm sure chops and style have a lot more to do with how good of a tone you're getting, in Ibanez's case. It's perfect for guys like Vai, Satch, PG, Andy Timmons, etc. but of course it might not be for everyone. At the end of the day... YMMV lang.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Alex claims that someone hacked into his account and that he didn't start this thread.

Locking this thread until further notice. Ian, for investigation please.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Alex claims that someone hacked into his account and that he didn't start this thread.

Locking this thread until further notice. Ian, for investigation please.

Hi Kit,

Nobody hacked into Alex's PhilMusic account. LOL. I just split the original thread from the off-topic discussion that started within that thread.

I'll just unlock this thread since it's just a false alarm :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator

I thought his tone was rather harsh when Mr. Big played at the Araneta Coliseum last May 2011. He sounded better during the "Bump Ahead" years, in my opinion. The high frequencies were disturbingly borderline eardrum-piercing :lol: Paul Gilbert's playing was just such a spectacle on its own, so I didn't care much about the icepick highs.

But unfortunately, General Luna (Mr. Big's opening act) sounded a lot worse. Everything was too loud.

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
I thought his tone was rather harsh when Mr. Big played at the Araneta Coliseum last May 2011. He sounded better during the "Bump Ahead" years, in my opinion. The high frequencies were disturbingly borderline eardrum-piercing :lol: Paul Gilbert's playing was just such a spectacle on its own, so I didn't care much about the icepick highs.

But unfortunately, General Luna (Mr. Big's opening act) sounded a lot worse. Everything was too loud.

Nawawala ang attention ko sa tone pag pinapanood ko sila.  :drool: :drool: :drool:

Offline IncX

Nawawala ang attention ko sa tone pag pinapanood ko sila.  :drool: :drool: :drool:

tama! nanonood ka ba ng WWE para sa fighting techniques?

... ganun din sa GL :D

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator

Actually pinanood ko pa rin sila... habang tinatakpan ko yung mga tenga ko :lol: :lol:

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
tama! nanonood ka ba ng WWE para sa fighting techniques?

... ganun din sa GL :D

Nadale mo!  Mismo!   :-D

Actually pinanood ko pa rin sila... habang tinatakpan ko yung mga tenga ko :lol: :lol:

Magawa nga yan sa susunod!  Checking their gig sked now.   :-D

Offline ael_israel

• Philmusicus Addictus
Nadale mo!  Mismo!   :-D

Magawa nga yan sa susunod!  Checking their gig sked now.   :-D

sama ko pag manonood ka hahaha! ttry ko din yan,,andun din ako nung mr big concert well tama si Ian hahaha..pero ganun talaga inenjoy ko nalang silang tignan.. ^ _ ^

@ian sama ka samin pag nanood kame sa GL hahah para F na F ka ulit hahah
AMMK!!!

Offline rolexm

• Philmusicus Addictus
What could be the difference ba? If most Ibby guitars are made of basswood, ano diff niya sa basswood na ibang brand? Honestly, I used to be a BIG fan of Ibby guitars but then it got redundant in my head. I realized that I only needed one, because they sound limited. lol

Offline IncX

basta ako, hinihintay ko lang makipag eye contact saken vocalist ng general luna, tapos smile ... buti naman nag smile-back din sya.

sigurado akong di mag smile back yun kung nakatakip tenga ko.

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus

The PAs obviously weren't really working right for PG that night. Could be the culprit.
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline ael_israel

• Philmusicus Addictus
The PAs obviously weren't really working right for PG that night. Could be the culprit.

yep actualy yung sa mixer and PA din suspetsya ko eh..kasi parang di marunong yung gumagalaw na tech sakanila sa monitor kaya sabog at mahina ang tunog ng guitara niya
AMMK!!!

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
yep actualy yung sa mixer and PA din suspetsya ko eh..kasi parang di marunong yung gumagalaw na tech sakanila sa monitor kaya sabog at mahina ang tunog ng guitara niya

Yah! Kasi nung napanood ko naman siya dito nung 2001 e buong-buo yung tunog niya e.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
What could be the difference ba? If most Ibby guitars are made of basswood, ano diff niya sa basswood na ibang brand? Honestly, I used to be a BIG fan of Ibby guitars but then it got redundant in my head. I realized that I only needed one, because they sound limited. lol

It all boils down to the intentions of the manufacturer. Ibanez is a profit-now, quality-later manufacturer. If they weren't, then they wouldn't have invested a lot of their resources on guitar factories in China, Indonesia, etc. and instead, they would have focused on investing more on R&D (e.g. further luthier training, etc.), better equipment (e.g. PLEK machines, etc.). That being said, I'm sure that even their sourcing of wood is highly compromised. People will still buy lower quality guitars for these reasons: 1) if the price is right; 2) if they don't see the perks of having better sounding guitars as a need (this also has something to do with the consumers' knowledge on guitar construction, etc.); and 3) if they employ the right marketing strategies that will convince their target consumer base that their guitars will bring them aurally closer to being like the guitar heroes that use Ibanez guitars.

In the end, manufacturing guitars is still a business. Different manufacturers have different visions, missions, objectives, core values and philosophies.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
sama ko pag manonood ka hahaha! ttry ko din yan,,andun din ako nung mr big concert well tama si Ian hahaha..pero ganun talaga inenjoy ko nalang silang tignan.. ^ _ ^

@ian sama ka samin pag nanood kame sa GL hahah para F na F ka ulit hahah

Game!