hulika

Author Topic: Setting up your PC for Recording  (Read 296815 times)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Setting up your PC for Recording
« Reply #425 on: July 29, 2009, 09:43:50 AM »
im planning to buy a Toshiba satellite, with core2duo, but the sound card doesnt have rca or pl55, how can i change the sound card into an M-Audio 2496?

You can't.

The Satellite is a laptop, probably with pcmcia or expresscard expansion options, while the 2496 is a pci card and neither the 'twain shall meet. Sorry.

Your only expansion option is either to get a usb soundcard (firewire if the Toshiba has that port) or find an expresscard soundcard.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline wilfredo.eclipse

« Reply #426 on: August 07, 2009, 02:55:40 PM »
may i ask a question? gusto ko lang sana malaman kung ano yung sinasalpak sa desktop pc yung parang small cable? "input: electric guitar, output: desktop computer". Saan naman po makakabili and magkano po? salamat.  :-D

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #427 on: August 10, 2009, 08:09:38 AM »
You can try something like the Behringer UCG102 Guitar to USB interface.

Inquire at Behringer outlets (there's one at the 5th flr of Megamall... can't recall if it's Bldg. A but it's at the building with the theatres).
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline cky

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #428 on: August 17, 2009, 03:20:10 PM »
sir Kit I have a question...do I really need a DI box to connect the guitar to the mixer then mixer out to computer or there must be some stuff in between those connections?...Hindi ko kasi mapalabas yung sound ng guitarra pag sinaksak sa input...i tried sa XLR, umilaw yung peak led pero hindi parin lumalabas yung sound even to the headphone out...thanks :mrgreen:

Offline ogagka0606

• Veteran Member
« Reply #429 on: September 02, 2009, 03:57:35 PM »
tanong lang po. gusto ko po sana magrecord ng mga kanta na nagawa ko. kaso po di ko alam yung mga softwares na kailangan. sabi sakin dati yung fl studio daw. pero di ako makarecord. ano po ba yung mga kailangan para makarecord? yung pwede na kasama pati yung drums.

laptop po pala gamit ko. acer aspire 4920.

ok po ba yung fast track ? at anong software po mga kailangan? salamat

Offline juanjudas

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #430 on: September 02, 2009, 05:22:44 PM »
If I were to buy/assemble a pc now, what are the specs should I get?
for 15k and 25k budget.

Offline s2ry0fdyr

« Reply #431 on: September 03, 2009, 12:12:37 AM »
for 15k and 25k budget.

it depends on what you are trying to achieve in recording.

Offline juanjudas

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #432 on: September 03, 2009, 09:26:42 AM »
One man band lang.  Guitar and Vocals - everything else through soft synths.  I am a Reason and Record user so I want to have a decent setup for the two.  Bumigay na kasi pc ko.

So after I buy a new pc, audio interface na ang sunod.  Tama po ba?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #433 on: September 03, 2009, 02:03:56 PM »
sir Kit I have a question...do I really need a DI box to connect the guitar to the mixer then mixer out to computer or there must be some stuff in between those connections?

You need a DI that has instrument level inputs. Check with the various DIs, some are designed for line level instruments such as keyboards.

ok po ba yung fast track ? at anong software po mga kailangan? salamat

Fast track is a 2 channel usb audio interface from M-audio. If you want to record drums or a full band, you will need more than 2 channels, which equates to a more expensive interface. As for software, there are a lot of suitable multitracking software that you can use ranging from Sonar to Cubase to Propellerheads new Record. Check out the various manufacturer's sites, some offer fully functioning 30-day demos such as Cakewalk's Sonar and Presonus' new Studio One.

for 15k and 25k budget.

That can be a tough one especially if you want to achieve a powerful machine. You can try AMD machines which are usually less expensive, but always design your pc according to the soundcard you will use. For ex., if your soundcard is pci, you will want a mobo that has at least 3 pci slots so that you can choose the slot which does not share and irq with an onboard device. Often, 2 pci slot mobos will have you sharing an irq with the sata controller, or worse, video. If your interface is usb or firewire, search the interface manufacturer's forums for users who have problems with certain mobos.

Offline ogagka0606

• Veteran Member
« Reply #434 on: September 03, 2009, 05:20:17 PM »

Fast track is a 2 channel usb audio interface from M-audio. If you want to record drums or a full band, you will need more than 2 channels, which equates to a more expensive interface. As for software, there are a lot of suitable multitracking software that you can use ranging from Sonar to Cubase to Propellerheads new Record. Check out the various manufacturer's sites, some offer fully functioning 30-day demos such as Cakewalk's Sonar and Presonus' new Studio One.

sir yung may built in drums na ? anong software po ba yun ? plano ko kasi yung guitars at built in drums lang gamitin ko. thanks

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #435 on: September 03, 2009, 06:44:04 PM »
sir yung may built in drums na ? anong software po ba yun ? plano ko kasi yung guitars at built in drums lang gamitin ko. thanks

karamihan ng software ngayon may kasamang drums. maganda sana kung mac based ka, garageband ang gamitin mo kasi halos kumpleto na yun sa requirements mo. ang Sonar at Cubase may kasamang drums, pati ang FL Studio rin.

Offline ogagka0606

• Veteran Member
« Reply #436 on: September 03, 2009, 07:53:31 PM »
karamihan ng software ngayon may kasamang drums. maganda sana kung mac based ka, garageband ang gamitin mo kasi halos kumpleto na yun sa requirements mo. ang Sonar at Cubase may kasamang drums, pati ang FL Studio rin.

edi sir pwde na yung fl studio, at yung fast track usb? thanks sir kitC!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #437 on: September 04, 2009, 09:23:06 AM »
edi sir pwde na yung fl studio, at yung fast track usb? thanks sir kitC!

The short answer is yes, pero see if there are any issues when using the fast track with your pc.

Offline melody_guitar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #438 on: September 09, 2009, 07:56:46 PM »
can i use the "stock" soundcard of my pc?? yung mismong kasama na sa miotherboard?? the simple line in, ou and mic in soundcard??
Available Guitarist for bands, Showbands/variety music, acoustic etc../color]

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #439 on: September 10, 2009, 10:48:50 AM »
can i use the "stock" soundcard of my pc?? yung mismong kasama na sa miotherboard?? the simple line in, ou and mic in soundcard??

No one is stopping you from doing that.

You can get some good sounds, but I/O will be limited usually to 1/8" and you could conceivably burn up a motherboard if some stray voltage from your gear inadvertently finds it's way into your pc - try using a small inexpensive mixer as a buffer. Be aware that your sound can be compromised by the quality of the mobo's converters, which are usually consumer grade at best. One big limitation with today's mobos? They usually only work at 48 khz so be aware of any sample rate conversions if burning to audio cd. The workaround is to burn to dvd audio, I guess.

Offline ferdie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #440 on: September 17, 2009, 05:15:16 PM »
Sir KitC musta po.

Need your advice. Meron akong yamaha stage pass 300 pa/mixer and m-audio fast track USB. Nag attempt ako magrecord ng acoustic guitar. eto yung set up: guitar---mixer----mixer RCA output---m-audio guitar input (using rca to stereo plug adaptor)  pero di ko ma-record yung guitar ko. Pero kapag di ko nman pinadaan sa mixer using multi effects direct to m-audio guitar input ok nman. Ganun din nangyayari pag gusto ko magrecord ng vocals.
Thanks in advance sir!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #441 on: September 17, 2009, 05:54:55 PM »
Need your advice. Meron akong yamaha stage pass 300 pa/mixer and m-audio fast track USB. Nag attempt ako magrecord ng acoustic guitar. eto yung set up: guitar---mixer----mixer RCA output---m-audio guitar input (using rca to stereo plug adaptor)  pero di ko ma-record yung guitar ko. Pero kapag di ko nman pinadaan sa mixer using multi effects direct to m-audio guitar input ok nman. Ganun din nangyayari pag gusto ko magrecord ng vocals.

First of all, the fast track has a single 1/4" input which is switchable from guitar to line. You have to use a MONO guitar cable with this input. The other input accepts XLR (cannon) cables for direct connection of microphones.

One thing you can do is to put the fast track first in the chain: mic to ch. 1 and guitar to ch.2 (set to guitar, not line). Next, connect the outputs of the fast track to channel 5/6 or 7/8 on the stagepass. The only caveat is that you cannot record the stagepass reverb/EQ - you will have to do that in your pc. Except for live recordings, we don't usually record with fx anyway, except in a few instances such as distortion and some other cases.

Offline ferdie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #442 on: September 17, 2009, 06:09:54 PM »
First of all, the fast track has a single 1/4" input which is switchable from guitar to line. You have to use a MONO guitar cable with this input. The other input accepts XLR (cannon) cables for direct connection of microphones.

One thing you can do is to put the fast track first in the chain: mic to ch. 1 and guitar to ch.2 (set to guitar, not line). Next, connect the outputs of the fast track to channel 5/6 or 7/8 on the stagepass. The only caveat is that you cannot record the stagepass reverb/EQ - you will have to do that in your pc. Except for live recordings, we don't usually record with fx anyway, except in a few instances such as distortion and some other cases.

Sir thanks ng marami! will try that tonight.

Offline ferdie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #443 on: September 18, 2009, 01:59:23 PM »
Sir thanks ng marami! will try that tonight.

Sir KitC!!

Na-try ko na yung advice mo and it works!!!!!!

Sobrang salamat po talaga.!

Offline ferdie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #444 on: September 19, 2009, 05:16:29 PM »
Sir Kit another newbie question:

How can I add effect on my guitar and vocal track on Live Lite 6. (i.e. I want to add reverb on the vocals and guitar).

Offline --randz--

« Reply #445 on: September 23, 2009, 09:17:34 AM »
hi sir kitc.. bago lang po ako dito sa forum... i have a behringer xenyx 802 and uca200.. ok naman sya mag-record.. the problem is hindi ko marinig yung tinutogtog ko (i.e. keyboard) while recording...pero nare-record naman (im using audacity).. then sa playback mo na lang maririnig yung ni-record mo...may mali kaya sa connection ko..

here is my existing connection:

xenyx 802 cd/out to uca200 input
xenyx 802 cd/in to uca200 output
uca200 usb to pc
headphone to xenyx802 phones

maraming salamat.. bago lang din po ako sa pc recording..

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #446 on: September 23, 2009, 12:04:23 PM »
Sir Kit another newbie question:

How can I add effect on my guitar and vocal track on Live Lite 6. (i.e. I want to add reverb on the vocals and guitar).

When you highlight a track, there's a section of the bottom portion of the screen that says, "Drop effects here". Just drag any fx into that portion.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #447 on: September 23, 2009, 12:10:45 PM »
hi sir kitc.. bago lang po ako dito sa forum... i have a behringer xenyx 802 and uca200.. ok naman sya mag-record.. the problem is hindi ko marinig yung tinutogtog ko (i.e. keyboard) while recording...pero nare-record naman (im using audacity).. then sa playback mo na lang maririnig yung ni-record mo...may mali kaya sa connection ko..

It has something to do with how audacity 'monitors' an incoming signal. You might have to play around with the playthrough setting in audacity's preferences. Software playthrough appears to record a 'stereo mix' so this is best avoided since this mixes down whatever you are recording and playing back at the same time.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 10:06:30 AM by KitC »

Offline --randz--

« Reply #448 on: September 24, 2009, 08:55:08 AM »
thanks sir kitc,,, how about if i'm using mixcraft4 or sonar 7? ano pong settings ang kailangan?
ask ko din po kung pwede sabay i-record ang vocals at guitar in different tracks sa uca200, pano po ang connection..?

salamat ulit.. :-)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #449 on: September 24, 2009, 10:13:59 AM »
thanks sir kitc,,, how about if i'm using mixcraft4 or sonar 7? ano pong settings ang kailangan?

software input monitoring in sonar is activated by 'pressing' the button immediately after the M S R buttons in the track. it kinda looks like this .>> once activated, it should turn light green in color.

ask ko din po kung pwede sabay i-record ang vocals at guitar in different tracks sa uca200, pano po ang connection..?

you have to understand that the UCA is stereo in/out so you are limited to only 2 mono channels/tracks at a time. to record guitar and vocals simultaneously, you have to hard pan them. For ex., vocals are hard left and guitar is hard right. set your software to record mono tracks and assign input to the left or right channel accordingly. Same thing with the mixer that is feeding the UCA. That way, you can 'multitrack' simultaneously.