hulika

Author Topic: Remember the Club Dredd days?  (Read 7623 times)

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Remember the Club Dredd days?
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2006, 12:47:41 PM »
Quote from: PRSMan
Quote from: deltaslim
yikes! ako inabutan ko pa ung old club dredd in timog (?).  ang liit!  ung CR nasa likod ng stage so ung mga magbabanyo dadaan sa tabi nung gtrst or bassist. kailangan pa umiwas nung tumutugtog!

yikes din!  ako naabutan ko yung sa timog, and didn't even know na may ibang venue.  teka lang, baka mali tanda ko.  club dredd is the same as red rocks right?

up,it's the same place as red rocks.i've been there since day one ng red rocks hanggang sa katapusan ng dredd timog.i think dredd edsa is more "masa".don't ya think?

Offline zook

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2006, 01:54:52 PM »
Quote from: Letour
For a few months, I played bass for Violent Playground and went up on stage with them at a few multi-band events.

I guess I predate some of the people here as well.  8) I actually saw you guys play at Atrium during Sneak Attack II. I was a high school freshman and went there by myself. Lots of Punks, Hardcores and Chongs! Whatta sight!!! Those were the XB days... :) Back then, lots and lots of people trooped to these venues. Ngayon, parang wala na masyadong pumupunta sa gigs. Although, I must admit, mas marami din naman ngayon ang venues for gigs.

Of course I remember Red Rocks before it became Dredd; and Dredd after it transferred to P. Tuazon. Somehow Cubao Dredd lost the vibe of the old Timog Dredd. My fondest memory of Red Rocks? Discant-X. Eto yung lolo nung mga local thrash bands that came out in the mid-90s. Well, not really lolo, since nauna pa sa kanila (I think) yung mga Twisted Red Cross Bands ... G.I. and the Idiots, Dead Ends. Man those were the days.  8)

Offline Perf_De_Castro

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2006, 02:18:12 PM »
For a few months, I played bass for Violent Playground and went up on stage with them at a few multi-band events. I shared the stage with the Dawn, Identity Crisis and I forgot the others. We played in - The Atrium (of Makati). Every weekend, there would be concerts there. New Wave! Oh my gosh, I just revealed my age.

Were you the orig bass player or did you sub for Maly Andres while he was in  New Zealand (? yata) ?

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2006, 12:04:09 AM »
Quote from: Perf_De_Castro
For a few months, I played bass for Violent Playground and went up on stage with them at a few multi-band events. I shared the stage with the Dawn, Identity Crisis and I forgot the others. We played in - The Atrium (of Makati). Every weekend, there would be concerts there. New Wave! Oh my gosh, I just revealed my age.

Were you the orig bass player or did you sub for Maly Andres while he was in  New Zealand (? yata) ?

I subbed for Maly while he was there in the land of the hobbits. Boom was my batchmate in Bene and Raton is now a owner of spanish restaurant in Alabang. He married someone from Pretty in Pink (yata).
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline toybitz

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2006, 05:38:20 AM »
My cover band did play at Dredd EDSA a few weeks before it closed.

We covered Pearl Jam's Evenflow, Once, State of Love and Trust, Porch and STP's Interstate Love Song...GRUNGE BAYBEH!

Kasabay din nun bill was Teeth and a new band...Sandwich which replaced POT last minute.  I thought it was cool to see POT on the same night, but Sandwich was cool too!
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Remember the Club Dredd days?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2018, 04:17:55 PM »
Figured it was worth sharing that Rob Sunico - the other half of Club Dredd - passed away last December. Without him, the Eraserheads story would have been a different one.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 04:55:53 PM »
My Club dredd days were memorable as well..  (went back home recently to find my brothers old dredd teeshirt but couldnt find it anymore) anyway, didnt catch the timog branch, only read about it on Rock and rhythm, the closing article..

went to the CUbao Dredd everytime SKY CHURCH had a gig, as Russ,always would invite me and classmates to ROADIE for them..haha.. sometimes I would go all the way over their house in Sampaloc to help load their gear..and his dad would drive their L300... his dad also worked at the Police Camp opposite dredd cubao..

I wasnt in an established band yet then, but luckily I got to play once or twice as a substitute bass player for some hardcore bands.

I usually went there with my younger brother who played drums, I was in HS and he was still in elementary ..there where no phones yet.. then.. haha our dad would pick us up after the sky church shows we watched...I dont remember ordering beer just some soft drinks I think.. Id bring home the famous xeroxed "DREDD SKED".. haha I remember there was a chill wing..on the right side..and the steps on the entrance where the kids sat and smoked..

I remember their POSTER wall, pre photoshop posters adorned that wall..there was a RHCP sock in [sausage] poster there..and on the left was the reception counter and tickect table..next to the double swing door..

there was some small food shop beside with a lady tending to the easy cooking.. some times, my classmates older brother would fetch us..in an old VOLVO..his kuya was a huge metal head as well..and hed be blasting sepultura and slayer songs as he drove us back home..

good fun times.. my parents were pretty cool for letting us check out the scene back then.. good times.. I know I saved the t-shirt somewhere..I hope I can find it...

when dredd cubao closed, I planned on asking for the sign..that was hanging there for the longest time, before they changed it to a shooting range..haha
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:59:11 PM by gandydancer123 »
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 05:35:35 PM »
Yung pinsan ko madalas sa Club Dredd EDSA dati. At yung mga ka-banda nya, tumatambay sa compound namin. Nung hindi na sila tumutugtog sa Club Dredd, they'd still hang out sa compound...and i got free guitar lessons.  :-D
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 04:31:55 PM »
Never got to visit Dredd in Timog or EDSA. I lived in Muntinlupa and the farthest up north I could go to confidently was Ayala Center in Makati. Real shame

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Offline slowspeeder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2018, 12:55:05 AM »
Got to meet Cookie Chua in Dredd edsa.  :)
Gibson LP Std + Marshall Stack = Rock n Blues
JPP CA 4xx gLp/AF#3x a/s/p/Cc#&/MMc#x8

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2018, 03:19:37 AM »
never had a chance to visit any dredd locations. god damn far away where i was living that time.
but I do know good stories about bands who successfully made it to mainstream because of club dredd.
Sa pinipig, bukod sa pwede mo singhutin, pwede mo rin tikman.

Offline red lights

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2018, 08:34:42 AM »

Nakatugtog kami once sa Dredd Eastwood, hindi na yung orig Dredd ang dating eh
Kahit na nasasaktan, Hindi pa rin mahindian

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2018, 10:28:03 AM »

Nakatugtog kami once sa Dredd Eastwood, hindi na yung orig Dredd ang dating eh
Same. Ang polished niya and it felt like a fire hazard (LOL) pero I think it did what it could to give the Dredd name some continuity into the 2000s.

Offline red lights

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2018, 10:45:15 AM »
Same. Ang polished niya and it felt like a fire hazard (LOL) pero I think it did what it could to give the Dredd name some continuity into the 2000s.

oo nga haha

ang alam kong huling Dredd ay dun na sa may malapit sa Sta Lucia Mall, pero sandali lang yata Dredd dun
Kahit na nasasaktan, Hindi pa rin mahindian

Offline mozart123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2018, 09:05:12 PM »
yung banda ng friend ko tumogtog sila dredd sa edsa noong 90s pinanood ko kasama kapatid nya. production sya.
check out my new page:Condo for sale Luzon.

Offline MrGobots

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2018, 11:40:43 PM »
I was in third year High School when I first set foot in the original Dredd in Timog. I was always early (around 8pm-9pm) during the Tuesdays I would get to go, because it was the only day of the week where my parents were out and I could stay out late. I have a few very distinct memories of those times among the many memorable times I had.

1. I would start drinking downstairs, a gin drink I forgot which cost only around 20 bucks. Got drunk enough to have courage to open a conversation with Robbie. I thought I was cool then because I was talking with the owner. There was a writer for a songhits magazine waiting to interview bands. Ely Buendia, pre-label days, was with Marcus at one of the tables. Writer asks Robbie if she can interview some bands regarding the "Alternative" rock scene, which was the buzz word those days. Robbie points her to Ely, Ely firmly says "Ay hindi kami alternative. Pop kami".... And they went on to be the poster boys of the local "Alternative" music scene. Ely then pointed to the guys from The Youth who just arrived for their set.

2. Robbie's bday. Had about 20 cases of beer stacked in front of the bar. He takes all the bottled liquor and pours them all into a big white jug with a faucet. Made a pink liquid that smelled like isoprophopyl alcohol with a touch of cherry, he called it adios motherf*cker ,and served that to everyone who came and handed out stubs for the beer. Felt cool getting 2 stubs.

3. This band that defined my guitar playing goals. If anyone knows them please let me know. It would be nice to see where they are now. Dude on guitar had a custom mightek. Singer was a chick that I think went on to play guitar with a band called Maria something and then went on to Pretty In Pink, not prettier than pink. Hoping Perf would know who they are. It was the first time I saw Cliffs of Dover played live. Set had Green Tinted, 316/Top of the World VH, and a satriani song i forgot what it was. They seem to have friends in the south who went to see them.

Usual rituals after Dredd were looking at the pokpoks at q.ave on the walk back home. Occasionally, looking at the fish tanks of Maalikaya and Ginza. What? My buds and I were typical horny HS kids. And eating Kowloon Jumbo Pao which cost only P12 then or the old 7-11 chili con carne hotdog.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 12:03:42 AM by MrGobots »
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
- Oscar Wilde

Offline mozart123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2018, 11:46:06 PM »
Robbie Sunico died Last December.

Sent from my Che2-L11 using Tapatalk

check out my new page:Condo for sale Luzon.

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2018, 09:28:53 AM »
i was in grade school nung naka tuntong ako ng dredd edsa. it was the only dredd i know, di ko alam na may pre-dredd story pa in a diff location.

napuntahan ko din yung eastwood. medyo classy yung mga inumin dahil shared sa gweilos eh. yun lang, it felt different. the ambience, the vibes, etc.
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline jake z

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2018, 10:03:02 AM »
counted ba yung dredd sa eastwood? played there i think 5 or 6 times.

Offline queer_rocker

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2018, 10:13:34 AM »
ahhhh dredd '95 hmmm kakamiss din mga tugtugan dun (nostalgic)
dude, there is a difference between having fun and just being a troll.
weh di nga?

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2018, 11:34:47 AM »
I was in third year High School when I first set foot in the original Dredd in Timog. I was always early (around 8pm-9pm) during the Tuesdays I would get to go, because it was the only day of the week where my parents were out and I could stay out late. I have a few very distinct memories of those times among the many memorable times I had.

1. I would start drinking downstairs, a gin drink I forgot which cost only around 20 bucks. Got drunk enough to have courage to open a conversation with Robbie. I thought I was cool then because I was talking with the owner. There was a writer for a songhits magazine waiting to interview bands. Ely Buendia, pre-label days, was with Marcus at one of the tables. Writer asks Robbie if she can interview some bands regarding the "Alternative" rock scene, which was the buzz word those days. Robbie points her to Ely, Ely firmly says "Ay hindi kami alternative. Pop kami".... And they went on to be the poster boys of the local "Alternative" music scene. Ely then pointed to the guys from The Youth who just arrived for their set.

2. Robbie's bday. Had about 20 cases of beer stacked in front of the bar. He takes all the bottled liquor and pours them all into a big white jug with a faucet. Made a pink liquid that smelled like isoprophopyl alcohol with a touch of cherry, he called it adios motherf*cker ,and served that to everyone who came and handed out stubs for the beer. Felt cool getting 2 stubs.

3. This band that defined my guitar playing goals. If anyone knows them please let me know. It would be nice to see where they are now. Dude on guitar had a custom mightek. Singer was a chick that I think went on to play guitar with a band called Maria something and then went on to Pretty In Pink, not prettier than pink. Hoping Perf would know who they are. It was the first time I saw Cliffs of Dover played live. Set had Green Tinted, 316/Top of the World VH, and a satriani song i forgot what it was. They seem to have friends in the south who went to see them.

Usual rituals after Dredd were looking at the pokpoks at q.ave on the walk back home. Occasionally, looking at the fish tanks of Maalikaya and Ginza. What? My buds and I were typical horny HS kids. And eating Kowloon Jumbo Pao which cost only P12 then or the old 7-11 chili con carne hotdog.

damn that 7 eleven chilli con carne dog, it wal like 10 pesos lang yata...I remember wedding sacristan duties they would give us 20 pesos..and wed eat at National bookstore 7 eleven
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline MrGobots

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2018, 02:23:05 AM »
damn that 7 eleven chilli con carne dog, it wal like 10 pesos lang yata...I remember wedding sacristan duties they would give us 20 pesos..and wed eat at National bookstore 7 eleven

yup and it brewed in a crack pot not in the sachets they have now. kaya mainit yung chili sarap.

anyway, yung usual na gimik nun was dredd pag-magisa at konti lang pera.
casa leonisa pag-inuman ng barkada at may konting pera
jaloux pag hanap chicks pero konti lang pera.
kalye bar, atrium at kung anu-ano pa sa makati pag medyo loaded ang bulsa

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
- Oscar Wilde

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2018, 02:34:14 AM »
Paano ba galawan sa Club Dredd noon? Bring your own amp? If no...naalala nyo pa ba yung gamit na andun?

Meron ba nagdala ng Soldano, Dual Rec or Peavey 5150? haha

Offline MrGobots

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2018, 02:45:18 AM »
Paano ba galawan sa Club Dredd noon? Bring your own amp? If no...naalala nyo pa ba yung gamit na andun?
Meron ba nagdala ng Soldano, Dual Rec or Peavey 5150? haha
haha shi.t, wasn't knowledgeable sa gear nung timog days

i bet the live sound sucked then. if you listen to most of the albums then tang1na, you can imagine how bad they were live
nobody would debate gear vs fingers kasi lahat raon ispeysyals ang gitara at rage amps lang pwede na.
of course back then there were also rich kids that thought their purchasing power made them better guitar players than those that can actually play
but they couldn't throw their sh.it around as much kasi nobody cared, ngayon na lang yung ganun e dahil marami na talagang gear at kelangan snobbish ka in favor of boutique stuff
or else nawawalan ng value yung binili mong kemahal mahal pag napantayan lang ng chinese knockoffs

anyway in dredd timog, ang kitid ng stairs so deterrent talaga for anyone to bring their own halfstacks. but there were some that brought their rolands and fenders then
- Oscar Wilde

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2018, 03:22:18 AM »
haha shi.t, wasn't knowledgeable sa gear nung timog days

i bet the live sound sucked then. if you listen to most of the albums then tang1na, you can imagine how bad they were live
nobody would debate gear vs fingers kasi lahat raon ispeysyals ang gitara at rage amps lang pwede na.
of course back then there were also rich kids that thought their purchasing power made them better guitar players than those that can actually play
but they couldn't throw their sh.it around as much kasi nobody cared, ngayon na lang yung ganun e dahil marami na talagang gear at kelangan snobbish ka in favor of boutique stuff
or else nawawalan ng value yung binili mong kemahal mahal pag napantayan lang ng chinese knockoffs

anyway in dredd timog, ang kitid ng stairs so deterrent talaga for anyone to bring their own halfstacks. but there were some that brought their rolands and fenders then

Haha i could imagine ang dami siguro naka Boss Metal Zone noon. Siguro Razorback and Wolfgang (and kids from Electric Sky Church) baka magaganda gamit.
Also...yung mga gitarista na nakilala ko na inabutan yung Dredd Timog and Edsa...pucha ang gagaling.  :-)