hulika

Author Topic: How Many Times have you thought of selling your EMU 1820m?  (Read 1650 times)

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
How Many Times have you thought of selling your EMU 1820m?
« on: July 19, 2008, 07:03:04 AM »
I found this topic from another forum. I was just wondering what replies would we get from pinoys in pinas.

The 1820m is a pretty old digital audio interface. In fact its production has been discontinued (according to EMU insider it is because some components have lead content which affects the workers who build them). The model has been replaced by the 1616m but cannot compare with the capabilities of the 1820m.

This unit has also plenty of issues running and solved. A lot of people find the patchmix somewhat complicated. Others think the components used in building this device are substandard thus after several years some components wear out (especially capacitors). But still people dont sell it, and have the unit repaired instead. Since support from the EMU people is scarce (especially in pinas + EMU people will not repair them but will encourage you to buy the 1616m instead) most have to force local electronic technicians to understand the device and have it fixed. Still people hang on to it and wouldnt give it up.

There is the issue of the christmas lights. The noise getting into channel 3L and 3R even when there is nothing plugged in. IRQ conflicts. Motherboard incompatibility, etc. Despite all these issues, 1820m users still would stick to it.

So how many times have you thought of selling your 1820m?

And what would be the going price for such a device considering its not in the market anymore?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: How Many Times have you thought of selling your EMU 1820m?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 09:19:10 AM »
There is the issue of the christmas lights.

Resolved since the 1.7 drivers. I used to have the xmas lights issue but I was able to trace it to the audiodock itself and had the whole thing rma'd - no problem whatsoever since the replacement. The v.2 drivers have given me no issues although my latest issue seems mobo related rather than the soundcard itself (I suspect instability is more due to my video card and/or PSU). I'm going to try a P35 chipset for my new build... let's see what happens.

The noise getting into channel 3L and 3R even when there is nothing plugged in. IRQ conflicts.

Of course that will happen since 3L/3R have a phono preamp wired in parallel with the line inputs. The preamp is active when nothing is inserted in the 1/4" inputs, and is 'switched out' of the circuit when you insert a plug... I have a pair of 1/4" adaptors plugged in even though they're not connected to anything ATM - no noise whatsoever.

Motherboard incompatibility, etc. Despite all these issues, 1820m users still would stick to it.

About mobo incompatibility, I think it's partially due to the pci 2.3 spec. I've read that the old 1010 card is pci 2.1 spec but it's working quite well with my K8N NF3 at present. This soundcard has been connected to an Asus A7N266 and MSI K7N Delta ILSR - this card seems to like Nforce chipsets. As long as there is no IRQ conflict, this card will give you glitchfree performance, which is true for most 'dedicated' soundcards anyway (the old soundblaster style "just-plug-it-in-any-free-slot" won't work with most high spec soundcards because of their higher pci bandwidth requirements).

I'll probably replace it when it gives out the ghost. Till then, I'm a happy camper with my Emu.

I know which forum you're talking about... I moderate there, too.  :-)
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 12:30:25 PM »

i never even considered sellin mine.  if ever you do sell yours, i'd happily buy it for 5k.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 02:33:41 PM »
Just a month a ago, I got a friend who sold his emu1820m with 1010 and sync card for P15k. At pinag agawan pa ito at this price.

Over the internet, I saw it even go higher than that.

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 02:41:46 PM »
cool!  now i'm thinkin i might sell mine.

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 02:12:28 AM »
ako....

laking sisi ko nung binenta ko yung akin :(
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 05:17:34 PM »
ako....

laking sisi ko nung binenta ko yung akin :(

sige na nga.  i won't sell mine.  it still works fine, but i've been considerin shiftin to mac kasi.  mainly cause of ram usage limit issues with pc's, which the mac os effectively addresses despite bein 32-bit.

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 06:29:02 PM »
I think it is wise to have both systems. Mac is definitely much powerful for several purpose especially for audio. But a lot of people still uses windows and its always wise to have a system running for this purpose.

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 07:24:25 AM »
Scanning thru the site of audiophile components after it was unsuspended from bandwidth issues, I realized from the list of brands they carry, it include EMU.

I havent tried to call audiophile about this yet. I think someone from audiophile is here. Is it really true that audiophile carries EMU products.... as well as lexicon?

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 01:12:08 AM »
audiophile used to carry the hardware emu stuff from what i understand.

officially, it's axisglobal who brings in emu, along with all things creative.  you can actually order through them, then you choose which among their retailers you'd want your stuff delivered for your purchase.

i've spoken with the local product manager for emu a couple of years ago, and sadly she tells me that she's got a hard time movin emu stuff.  that's why she doesn't stock it at all.  per order basis na lang.

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 08:36:22 AM »
thanks for the info x_taxi.