hulika

Author Topic: nasaan na si Mr. Perf?  (Read 8857 times)

Offline markflo

nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2006, 12:43:53 AM »
i think they use the four extra strings for droning...parang open lang parati...that's the way perf explained it to me when we were recording drum tracks at his studio...i don't think it's for show though...it has its purpose...
Quote from: Santo Muerte
Quote from: stringman

If your fingers can play up to a 10 string classical fretboard maybe you can weigh the options better.

Who needs a 10-string when I can get the same notes on a six string? Besides, having a guitar w/ more than six strings is most of the time for show anyway.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2006, 01:31:01 AM »
Quote from: markflo
i think they use the four extra strings for droning...parang open lang parati...that's the way perf explained it to me when we were recording drum tracks at his studio...i don't think it's for show though...it has its purpose...

If your fingers can play up to a 10 string classical fretboard maybe you can weigh the options better.

Who needs a 10-string when I can get the same notes on a six string? Besides, having a guitar w/ more than six strings is most of the time for show anyway.

So, parang bass ang guitar all in one. Hhmm... ayos yon. I try ko nga yon... tapos kanang paa apak sa kick drum then kaliwang paa tadyak ng snare. ONE MAN BAND, hehe :lol:

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2006, 01:33:38 AM »
Quote from: titser_marco
That guy is one of the best local guitarists I've heard, pero parang na-bored yata sa rock at nag-classical na lang. Siguro mas challenging sa kanya yung ganun ngayon. One day hopefully he'll grow back his balls & go back to the six string.

I don't think his classical playing is less "ballsy", as you might like to call it. Electricity is not a requisite for a moving musical performance.

Rock has always been more aggressive & ballsy than Classical music, that's for sure.

Not true. Way before the screaming girls in the US when the Beatles came, or the riots at punk shows became commonplace, Stravinsky already caused a riot at the premiere of "Le Sacre du Printemps" (The Rite of Spring). I've read somewhere that he had to get out of the concert hall through one of the windows because the audience was trying to get him. After getting a recording of this work, I can say that it was quite disturbing, considering the time it was first written and performed. When I looked at the score - you couldn't imagine how a big **** that was.

If you mean being able to rouse intense emotions when you say "ballsy", one could always argue that the electric guitar is very capable of that but that doesn't mean that a classical instrument, say the bassoon, can't create a noise that can have an emotional effect (albeit a different one) of a similar magnitude.

You have a good point but the fact remains that a guitar plugged into 200-watt Marshalls in the hands of a capable guitarist in an "Arena Rock" setting has way more balls than the London Symphony & New York Philarmonic combined.

Ahm, not true. Again. Performance of classical music banks heavily on the natural acoustics of the concert arena and when in the hands of a good conductor, an orchestra can be the most bitchin' "instrument" known to man. The venue, at least traditionally, serves as their amplifier and the sound can be just GLORIOUS if the venue is that good. That's why some classical musicians today still have some disdain for the recording medium because they say that it doesn't capture the feel of the music being performed in a venue that resonates beautifully with an orchestra.

I also love loud marshalls and hiwatts but I guess I derive pleasure (and different types at that) from both forms. But I don't think "balls" should be equated with mere volume and/or the very ambiguous parameter that we guitarists use to describe tone: SIZE, i.e. ("his tone is just 'enormous'", etc.). It would be very limited to think that emotional content can be carried solely by volume.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2006, 01:35:40 AM »
Agree. Think sitar.
Quote from: markflo

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2006, 01:38:05 AM »
Hahaha, orchestras bring teh mosh!  :lol:

Offline walis_bluz

• Philmusicus Noobitus
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2006, 03:10:06 AM »
Eto mosh pit ng mga classical guitarists, circa 1800s

Talo mga pa-concert ng Pulp

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2006, 06:51:16 AM »
You have a good point but the fact remains that a guitar plugged into 200-watt Marshalls in the hands of a capable guitarist in an "Arena Rock" setting has way more balls than the London Symphony & New York Philarmonic combined.

what is your definition of "more balls" when it comes to musical genres?

i listen to classical, jazz, rock, and some metal (not shred).  i have never felt the urge or need to compare one to the other in terms of "balls".  are you saying that one genre is more cool than the other?  if so... apples and oranges dude... i don't get your point, but would love to understand more of what you're trying to say.

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2006, 08:51:07 AM »
Quote from: PRSMan

i listen to classical, jazz, rock, and some metal (not shred).  i have never felt the urge or need to compare one to the other in terms of "balls".  are you saying that one genre is more cool than the other?  if so... apples and oranges dude... i don't get your point, but would love to understand more of what you're trying to say.

My definition of a "ballsy" sound(and I'm sure most people would also define it this way) is that one big monstrous roar that comes out of the cabinets when that first power chord is struck. It rattles your teeth, shakes your nuts & gets your adrenaline going, & Rock is usually the genre that gets associated with that kind of sound. Yeah, yeah, you may say that an orchestra can also be "ballsy" when it wants to but I don't think it would be on the same magnitude as, let's say, an Iron Maiden concert. Let's look at it this way, compare the sound of a regular accoustic guitar vs. a guitar plugged into a rig. Now tell me which has more power & balls? The answer is quite obvious, so the whole "Apples and oranges" comparison is not applicable.

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2006, 08:57:57 AM »
But I don't think "balls" should be equated with mere volume and/or the very ambiguous parameter that we guitarists use to describe tone: SIZE, i.e. ("his tone is just 'enormous'", etc.). It would be very limited to think that emotional content can be carried solely by volume.

So, how else would you define a "ballsy sound" aside from having enormous tone? I think the argument here is not with how you define what a "ballsy sound" is, but how one kind of sound is more "ballsier" than the other.

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2006, 09:33:00 AM »
My definition of a "ballsy" sound(and I'm sure most people would also define it this way) is that one big monstrous roar that comes out of the cabinets when that first power chord is struck. It rattles your teeth, shakes your nuts & gets your adrenaline going, & Rock is usually the genre that gets associated with that kind of sound. Yeah, yeah, you may say that an orchestra can also be "ballsy" when it wants to but I don't think it would be on the same magnitude as, let's say, an Iron Maiden concert. Let's look at it this way, compare the sound of a regular accoustic guitar vs. a guitar plugged into a rig. Now tell me which has more power & balls? The answer is quite obvious, so the whole "Apples and oranges" comparison is not applicable.

If what you meant was loud and monstrous, then yes, rock is what would be most associated with that.  However, I do not agree that rock is "the" genre that "rattles your teeth, shakes your nuts & gets your adrenaline going".  I have a good friend who's a blackbelt in Taekwondo, and before each fight, he listens to classical music to psyche himself out.  Strange I know... personally, I would listen to Metallica... but like I said earlier, you can't stack each genre against each other and stereotype one as being able to create more of an impact than the other.

The problem I (and I think others as well) had with your initial comment that:
One day hopefully he'll grow back his balls & go back to the six string.
was that you seem to have implied that Perf had somehow lost his balls.  I'm sure you will agree that having "no balls" means being weak, lame, whimpy, gay... you get the point right?  And this led to people asking you why you think turning to classical music is like a step back.

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2006, 09:52:37 AM »
LKet's rephrase the question.................. Does Santo Muerte have the balls to gho head to head with Perf?
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2006, 10:54:14 AM »

If what you meant was loud and monstrous, then yes, rock is what would be most associated with that.  However, I do not agree that rock is "the" genre that "rattles your teeth, shakes your nuts & gets your adrenaline going".  I have a good friend who's a blackbelt in Taekwondo, and before each fight, he listens to classical music to psyche himself out.  Strange I know... personally, I would listen to Metallica... but like I said earlier, you can't stack each genre against each other and stereotype one as being able to create more of an impact than the other.

was that you seem to have implied that Perf had somehow lost his balls.  I'm sure you will agree that having "no balls" means being weak, lame, whimpy, gay... you get the point right?  And this led to people asking you why you think turning to classical music is like a step back.
I listen to classical music, jazz, soft stuff....does that make me "balls" less?
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline Zazza

nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2006, 12:06:20 PM »
i think Santo Muerte's arguement would apply to less musically inclined peeps tsaka dun sa mga taong indi malawak ang pagtingin sa musika. syempre mas maangas nga pakinggan ang rock and roll in general :D

and it's funny that Santo muerte himself said that....

The answer is quite obvious, so the whole "Apples and oranges" comparison is not applicable.

then why are you going to the direction of indirectly comparing classical to rock? what makes you say that perf lost part of his balls when he turned to classical, whereas it's actually his roots?

hehehe sablay na sablay ung comment towards the great Perf De Castro, which also applies to all peeps who appreciate classical music all in all :roll:

peace sells..... 8)
The Cranberrie's "dreams" is a rip off of Sampaguita's "Laguna".....

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2006, 12:09:15 PM »

So it is volume that you associate with "being ballsy".

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2006, 12:10:02 PM »
LKet's rephrase the question.................. Does Santo Muerte have the balls to gho head to head with Perf?

Uh oh.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2006, 12:14:10 PM »
But I don't think "balls" should be equated with mere volume and/or the very ambiguous parameter that we guitarists use to describe tone: SIZE, i.e. ("his tone is just 'enormous'", etc.). It would be very limited to think that emotional content can be carried solely by volume.

So, how else would you define a "ballsy sound" aside from having enormous tone? I think the argument here is not with how you define what a "ballsy sound" is, but how one kind of sound is more "ballsier" than the other.

A piece can become ballsy because of the combination of the notes. Or in my case, really BIG harmonic structures sound really mean and evil to me which makes me like them very much.

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2006, 01:40:44 AM »

If it's a drinking contest then f uck yeah, I'd annihilate the guy.

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2006, 01:53:59 AM »

So it is volume that you associate with "being ballsy".

It's only part of it. Another is how you actually play the instrument. If you play continous buzzsaw-style riffing & wind tunnel-like soloing ala Slayer as opposed to just doing regular power-chords & bends then the sheer ballsiness of your sound can collapse mountains.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2006, 02:05:03 AM »
Generally, I am not a fan of Perf, but I believe he is a well-rounded musician.  What do you expect of a #1 talent test passer at the UST conservatory during his freshman year?  

Anyway, what balls are you talking about?  I'm pretty sure Stravinsky had "more balls" than Beethoven.

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2006, 02:09:26 AM »

That's weird because I also have a friend who's a 3rd degree blackbelt & he psyches himself up by putting on some Machine Head or Fear Factory, but that's besides the point. I'm not saying one genre has more "impact" than the other, whatever your definition of "impact" may be. What I'm getting to is one genre being more aggressive than the other, & we all know that aggression=balls.

Well, that's how I see an artist switching over to a musical genre that's less aggro than his previous one.

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2006, 10:26:07 AM »
It just differentiates the level of what you play and what you listen to.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2006, 10:46:52 AM »
What I'm getting to is one genre being more aggressive than the other, & we all know that aggression=balls.

we all know that aggression = balls?  if that's your opinion, so be it.  i don't think you can generalize and say that everyone thinks the same way.

Offline superoxy

• Forum Fanatic
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2006, 02:59:53 PM »
since nandito na si Mr Perf mismo sa forum, sana masagot nya ang tanong sa thread na ito
\\\\\\\"I am afraid of people who are boring, but require too much attention to ignore. \\\\\\\" - Jamie Hyneman

Offline Perf_De_Castro

• Philmusicus Addictus
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2006, 04:07:58 PM »
Quote from: superoxy
since nandito na si Mr Perf mismo sa forum, sana masagot nya ang tanong sa thread na ito

Aling tanong? Balls?

Ang musical preference ng isang tao, e, kahit ano pang sabihin ng kung sino man, di pa rin mababago. Ang makakapagbago lang ay ang tao yun mismo.

Linawin na lang natin yung definition:

BALLS = round or roundish body or mass: as a : a spherical or ovoid body used in a game or sport

BALLS = laki, gigil at dating ng tunog

Yung mga opening chords ng kahit anong AC/DC na kanta, yung intro ng "Sad but True" ng Metallica, yung tunog ng Les Paul ni Gary Moore sa "Still Got the Blues", yung 3rd fret 6th string G na iva-vibrato mo habang naka humbucking bridge pickup ka na nakasaksak sa Marshall full-stack, yung putok ng mga kanyon sa Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture, open E chord na rasgueado sa isang magandang flamenco guitar, yung mga mabibilis scala ni Paco De Lucia sa flamenco, yung tunog ng low A string ng Jose Ramirez 10 string ko pag sinaltik ko ng thumb.....etc...etc...etc...

BALLS = tapang

Pagtugtog live sa isang stage harap ng ilang libong katao; pagtugtog sa harap ng isang iniidolo; pagtugtog ng napakahirap na pyesa/kanta na wala pang ibang nag-aattempt tugtugin; pagsuot ng super higpit na spandex na bakat bakat ang mga yagbols para kitang-kita ng madla; ngaratan ang mga bouncer sa Pulp concert sabay sugod; ngaratan ang mga nasa moshpit sa Pulp concert sabay talon sa gitna; mag-stage dive ng patalikod; tumugtog ng isang buong concert na walang distortion-walang efx-walang ka-banda na sasalo ng mga sabit at walang singer na magpapatawa sa gitna ng mga pyesa; pag-alis sa kinasanayan nang "comfort zone" at tumahak ng bago at di kilalang teritoryo upang maka-diskubre ng bagong musika, bagong tunog, bagong audience....etc...etc...etc...

Anyway, ang sa akin... lahat ng tao entitled sa kanyang sariling pananaw at kaya ko tanggapin yun.

"If you are nothing to somebody, then you are something to everybody"...John Quincy Adams

Offline superoxy

• Forum Fanatic
nasaan na si Mr. Perf?
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2006, 04:12:35 PM »
welcome to the forum  :D

hope you can enliven, as well as enlighten,  the discussions on the board
\\\\\\\"I am afraid of people who are boring, but require too much attention to ignore. \\\\\\\" - Jamie Hyneman