hulika

Author Topic: FOR JAZZ Guitar players: Guitar setup.  (Read 14084 times)

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
FOR JAZZ Guitar players: Guitar setup.
« on: May 22, 2007, 03:54:10 AM »
what guitar and guitar setup...strings....

should I get to get this sound? I am into smooth contemporary jazz..... and I'm loving this guys tone and playing.

www.myspace.com/paulbrownjazzartist
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline jenster_17

• Netizen Level
Re: FOR JAZZ Guitar players: Guitar setup.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 10:41:07 PM »
tips naman jan mga sir bro brad tol at iba pa.. may rj les paul style elctric guitar akong nabili pwede ba sa jazz na tugtugan yun guitar ko? ano ba ang mga kailangan sa jazz setup?

Offline extreme16199

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 12:47:55 AM »

should I get to get this sound? I am into smooth contemporary jazz..... and I'm loving this guys tone and playing.

the guy's tone and phrasing is rather similar to one of my favorite guitarists (and favorite contemporary jazz guitarist), jeff golub.  http://www.jeffgolub.com  check out his soundclips.  if you find his tone similar to paul brown's, golub actually has a section on his site where he lists the guitars, amps, and effects he used for every single song on every single cd he has made.  maybe you can use that as a reference point for the guitar setup you want to aim for.

hope this helps.

cheers.

P.S.  i was just looking through jeff golub's discography and i noticed that the producer of his "temptation" cd is "paul brown".  coincidence? :)

P.P.S.  oh, and just to whet your appetite for the fuchs amp you were considering, it may be interesting for you to note that most of the songs on jeff golub's latest cd, "grand central", were recorded with a fuchs ods50 amp.  :-D

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 06:51:24 AM »
...well judging from the jazz guys from the other site ..the cheapest way is to get a inexpensive archtop hollow or semi hollow and put flats in them ..... a popular one that most of them like is Thomasatik Infeld Swing Series .  One of 'em is going to ship me for free he's Gibson Flatwires that he doesn't need. He said ...it's the real flatwounds that they use during the 60s...unlike the chromes..... I believe him ...the guy is a jazz celebrity.... really cool of him to entertain me and even gave me his strings to an starting unknown newbie player like me.

the guy's tone and phrasing is rather similar to one of my favorite guitarists (and favorite contemporary jazz guitarist), jeff golub.  http://www.jeffgolub.com  check out his soundclips.  if you find his tone similar to paul brown's, golub actually has a section on his site where he lists the guitars, amps, and effects he used for every single song on every single cd he has made.  maybe you can use that as a reference point for the guitar setup you want to aim for.

hope this helps.

cheers.

P.S.  i was just looking through jeff golub's discography and i noticed that the producer of his "temptation" cd is "paul brown".  coincidence? :)

P.P.S.  oh, and just to whet your appetite for the fuchs amp you were considering, it may be interesting for you to note that most of the songs on jeff golub's latest cd, "grand central", were recorded with a fuchs ods50 amp.  :-D
I like Jeff Golub too.... yeah I'm gonna get one of those Fuchs....maybe this year.... and sell my other amps. thanks extreme.  :-)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 08:46:40 AM by Phil »

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 11:06:06 AM »
u may want to check steve cardenas set-up.. has similar tone to pat metheny, rythmic ang attack nila-- with heavy gauge strings, mga 13 cguro..  :-D

hey phil, parinig ng soundclip mo pg-na-install mo na strings, tnx.. keep it comin'!! :-D

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 12:25:48 PM »
u may want to check steve cardenas set-up.. has similar tone to pat metheny, rythmic ang attack nila-- with heavy gauge strings, mga 13 cguro..  :-D

hey phil, parinig ng soundclip mo pg-na-install mo na strings, tnx.. keep it comin'!! :-D
sure... it's gonna take time...have to send it to my guitar tech and the guy is BUSY....but I don't have any choice....I have to "pila". I'll install the Gibson Flatwires sa ES335 ko ...I didn't even know if he's sending me medium or medium light (free kasi so why should I ask).... hope it's medium light.

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 04:10:10 PM »

sure... it's gonna take time...have to send it to my guitar tech and the guy is BUSY....but I don't have any choice....I have to "pila". I'll install the Gibson Flatwires sa ES335 ko ...I didn't even know if he's sending me medium or medium light (free kasi so why should I ask).... hope it's medium light.

boss phil..

papatulong sana ako sa tone hunting, so far ito ung geegee ko..
ive got a fender 54 ri strat, with emg sa active pups, flatwounds 9s ang string ko..im not really what you call a "jazz cat" but im working on my tone..hmm, me advice ka ba a good pup to be used? hmm, advisable po bah ang lace sensors?

need it to switch to blues or have a good time jammin with a jazz/bluesy tune..
thanks po..
"It is not great men who changes the world, but weak men in the hands of a great God."

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 10:57:14 PM »
Getting a good jazz tone may have very little to do with such things as string types or amp brands.

While those things can help put you in that ballpark, the very same sounds that you seek could very well be in that same guitar that you're cradling now - and you don't even have to change anything about it at all.

Of course, we've all heard that talk about flats and all that jazz, but I wouldn't consider them to be a 'necessity' in getting a good jazz tone.

I say that because I've gone through that same phase years ago. I used to have that notion that flats were the ONLY way to go to get that jazz tone going.

I even went as far as putting .012 D'Addario Chromes on my Yamaha 335 - thinking that that would make my tone even 'jazzier' ..

To cut the long story short, I took 'em off right away. The tension was just too much for the guitar, and I didn't want to tweak with the guitar's neck just to accommodate the new strings. Besides, the flats felt super stiff on the 335 then. Sure, it sounded jazzy, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice the guitar's playability for it.

Somehow, I still craved for the feel that the normal .010 roundwounds offered. I felt more confident knowing you could bend a note anytime.

Not that I'm saying flats aren't great. Don't get me wrong.

Let's just say that if you do decide to try them, just be prepared to deal with the extra tension, and the other tradeoffs such as not being able to bend fully up a whole step or more (unless you're SRV).

Which brings us back to roundwounds ... and Jeff Golub, as extreme mentioned earlier.

It's interesting to note how a smooth jazz guitar player like him uses ... (guess what?) .09s on most of his guitars. He said so in the Gear section of his webpage, citing his tendonitis as the main reason behind it.

But see, even with such a gauge, the man sounds as jazzy as jazzy can be.

I think getting a good jazz tone has a lot more to do with getting acquainted with the guitar's volume control. From experience, you can get great jazz tones with a humbucker-equipped guitar (like a 335 or even a Les Paul), with a guitar's volume around 5 only. That way, the sound isn't as punchy, and the attack isn't as pronounced compared to when it's on full volume.

Heck, you can even dial the same tones on a Strat or a Tele.

Lastly, maybe it would also help to use thick picks

So there .. hope that helped

« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 11:14:40 PM by Deacon Blues »
"No static at all ..."

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 08:13:25 AM »
tips naman jan mga sir bro brad tol at iba pa.. may rj les paul style elctric guitar akong nabili pwede ba sa jazz na tugtugan yun guitar ko? ano ba ang mga kailangan sa jazz setup?

watch this... solid body like les paul pero naka flatwounds.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 08:21:05 AM »
Getting a good jazz tone may have very little to do with such things as string types or amp brands.

While those things can help put you in that ballpark, the very same sounds that you seek could very well be in that same guitar that you're cradling now - and you don't even have to change anything about it at all.

Of course, we've all heard that talk about flats and all that jazz, but I wouldn't consider them to be a 'necessity' in getting a good jazz tone.

I say that because I've gone through that same phase years ago. I used to have that notion that flats were the ONLY way to go to get that jazz tone going.

I even went as far as putting .012 D'Addario Chromes on my Yamaha 335 - thinking that that would make my tone even 'jazzier' ..

To cut the long story short, I took 'em off right away. The tension was just too much for the guitar, and I didn't want to tweak with the guitar's neck just to accommodate the new strings. Besides, the flats felt super stiff on the 335 then. Sure, it sounded jazzy, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice the guitar's playability for it.

Somehow, I still craved for the feel that the normal .010 roundwounds offered. I felt more confident knowing you could bend a note anytime.

Not that I'm saying flats aren't great. Don't get me wrong.

Let's just say that if you do decide to try them, just be prepared to deal with the extra tension, and the other tradeoffs such as not being able to bend fully up a whole step or more (unless you're SRV).

Which brings us back to roundwounds ... and Jeff Golub, as extreme mentioned earlier.

It's interesting to note how a smooth jazz guitar player like him uses ... (guess what?) .09s on most of his guitars. He said so in the Gear section of his webpage, citing his tendonitis as the main reason behind it.

But see, even with such a gauge, the man sounds as jazzy as jazzy can be.

I think getting a good jazz tone has a lot more to do with getting acquainted with the guitar's volume control. From experience, you can get great jazz tones with a humbucker-equipped guitar (like a 335 or even a Les Paul), with a guitar's volume around 5 only. That way, the sound isn't as punchy, and the attack isn't as pronounced compared to when it's on full volume.

I agree with the volume control...... aside from that its also skill and experience. I love the .10s I have in my 335 right now. I can express more than I could with 'em. That is precisely why I am also looking at buying a cheapo hollow guitar so I can put flats.
Deacon, you are confusing me.... something tells me not to install those flatwires in my 335 (considering I have to pay for the installation and setup).... coz I might not like it.  Another voice tells me to just buy a el cheapo guitar and experiment with flatwounds.  :-D

I do however am gassing a Fuchs OD50 head for this year.....so no matter what you guys say...I'm still eyeing and leanng towards pulling the trigger on one. hehehehehe (one of my dream amp)

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 08:25:12 AM »

boss phil..

ive got a fender 54 ri strat, with emg sa active pups, flatwounds 9s ang string ko..im not really what you call a "jazz cat" but im working on my tone..hmm, me advice ka ba a good pup to be used? hmm, advisable po bah ang lace sensors?

thanks po..
I would look at jazz player using the strats or clones .... research mo sino ang jazz idol mo na nagstrat and look at his gear and see if thats the kind of jazz/blues tone you want. I know Larry Carlton used to play strats ...... welll a lot of them use in one point of their career.

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 08:52:07 AM »

boss phil..

thanks po..
I would look at jazz player using the strats or clones .... research mo sino ang jazz idol mo na nagstrat and look at his gear and see if thats the kind of jazz/blues tone you want. I know Larry Carlton used to play strats ...... welll a lot of them use in one point of their career.

thanks sir..
check ko nga mga heroes ko..thanks..

sir deacon..naliwanagan ako..thanks po talaga..yehey!!!
"It is not great men who changes the world, but weak men in the hands of a great God."

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 05:09:34 PM »
Phil,

If that 'voice' keeps pestering you to go 'flats,' I guess there's only one way to find out..  :-D

Besides, you'll be using Thomastiks naman, diba? I've heard good things about that brand, and I'm sure their flats might feel differently on a 335.

So, go ahead bro ... Just keep us posted on your review.

As for the amp, wow, that Fuchs would definitely sound great as well. I remembering watching a video of someone demoing that some years back. Pretty tasty player too. Parang Carlton. What's his name? Eddie something ...

Thumbs up for that amp too..
"No static at all ..."

Offline extreme16199

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 07:18:02 PM »

As for the amp, wow, that Fuchs would definitely sound great as well. I remembering watching a video of someone demoing that some years back. Pretty tasty player too. Parang Carlton. What's his name? Eddie something ...

eddie berman?

Offline extreme16199

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 07:22:08 PM »
...well judging from the jazz guys from the other site ..the cheapest way is to get a inexpensive archtop hollow or semi hollow and put flats in them ..... a popular one that most of them like is Thomasatik Infeld Swing Series .  One of 'em is going to ship me for free he's Gibson Flatwires that he doesn't need. He said ...it's the real flatwounds that they use during the 60s...unlike the chromes..... I believe him ...the guy is a jazz celebrity.... really cool of him to entertain me and even gave me his strings to an starting unknown newbie player like me.

I like Jeff Golub too.... yeah I'm gonna get one of those Fuchs....maybe this year.... and sell my other amps. thanks extreme.  :-)

you're welcome, phil!  do post a review of the fuchs if you finally get one.  oh, and the flatwounds too, if you try em out.

cheers.

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 08:09:29 PM »
Jack,

Yes!!! I think it was Eddie Berman ..

Very unassuming guy with killer chops. Damn, that guy must be up there with Carlton, Ford and the other jazz/blues/rock guys ..

Thanks for that tidbit..

By the way, I miss your amps' jazzy tones ...  :-)
"No static at all ..."

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 10:28:21 AM »
Take care of the sense and the sounds take care of themselves.

Wala 'yan sa pana. Nasa Indyan.

c",)
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 10:30:16 AM »
wow sir ayas back... i saw ur youtube clip.. gling!! :-D

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2007, 11:09:05 AM »
Salamat.

But avert your gaze. Gaze at the moon.

All i am is a finger pointing to it.

Gaze at the moon, friend.

Gaze at the moon.

Fame means nothing unless used to illumine Life.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2007, 05:09:47 AM »
......just wondering what strings you jazz guitar players are using?

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2007, 07:34:41 AM »
......just wondering what strings you jazz guitar players are using?

I use 9s.

It really doesnt matter what guage, imho. I've tried 10s, and messed with cable wire 12s, which i found to be a pain in the ass to use. played with flatwounds too, and i';m glad to know that ron afiff dumped his flatwounds coz roundwounds have more ooph factor.

because of the deviant nature of jazz, any tool is valid. i dig my jazz with a strat, and i've seen jazhombie work his magic with the same  :wink:
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2007, 07:47:17 AM »
... well, i found this nice spool of pink thread in my daughter's dresser and....

:-P :-D

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2007, 11:28:57 AM »
... well, i found this nice spool of pink thread in my daughter's dresser and....

:-P :-D
...what brand? I'll try it.  :-D

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2007, 10:32:37 PM »
try ko nga!yung thread n pink!! :-D