hulika

Author Topic: Summertime Blues series at Backdoor Blues Cafe  (Read 11405 times)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Summertime Blues series at Backdoor Blues Cafe
« on: May 03, 2008, 07:04:37 AM »
In case you guys didn't know, there's an ongoing blues gig series at Backdoor Blues Cafe featuring Manila's finest blues-based bands. 

1st: Plug
2nd: Kulukati
3rd: Snakecharmer
4th: Jook Jam  (TONIGHT)

I don't know of a place in Manila where you can just walk in any Saturday night and hear real blues music being played live.  Kuddos to Backdoor Blues Cafe for keeping the flame alive.

backdoor_man - post mo naman dito yung mga pics and videos from the earlier gigs in the series. :-)

Offline v00doochi1d

• Veteran Member
Re: Summertime Blues series at Backdoor Blues Cafe
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 11:28:43 PM »
In case you guys didn't know, there's an ongoing blues gig series at Backdoor Blues Cafe featuring Manila's finest blues-based bands. 

1st: Plug
2nd: Kulukati
3rd: Snakecharmer
4th: Jook Jam  (TONIGHT)

I don't know of a place in Manila where you can just walk in any Saturday night and hear real blues music being played live.  Kuddos to Backdoor Blues Cafe for keeping the flame alive.

backdoor_man - post mo naman dito yung mga pics and videos from the earlier gigs in the series. :-)

bakit nga ba wala sa manila? lagi na lang sa qc? ang daya nyo meyn..hehehehe.. :mrgreen:

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 01:41:33 PM »
4th in the series was a humdinger!  Halos puno pa rin altho the weather wasn't good. 

I was really stoked to play again after a brief hiatus. I've been working back on my old 'pondo' and was glad to showcsase em last nite: Howlin Wolf, Willie Dixon, Koko Taylor, John Lee Hoooker, Big Bill Broonzy, Lightnin Hopkins, Skip James.  At the same time, Ronnie "The Kid" and Chester "The Lickmeister" were humming on all cylinders! Judging from Big Boss Backdoor Man's reaction, I think it was a success. Di pa nga todo yun eh; there's more where that came from. ;-)

Great jams with guests Kit (Kulukati), John and Kedy (Working Stiff)!  Whew -- parang nagensayo!  :-o

Watch out for  the next installment.  Sino nga ba at kelan, Big Boss Backdoor Man?

Offline backdoor_man

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 06:53:12 PM »
4th in the series was a humdinger!  Halos puno pa rin altho the weather wasn't good. 

I was really stoked to play again after a brief hiatus. I've been working back on my old 'pondo' and was glad to showcsase em last nite: Howlin Wolf, Willie Dixon, Koko Taylor, John Lee Hoooker, Big Bill Broonzy, Lightnin Hopkins, Skip James.  At the same time, Ronnie "The Kid" and Chester "The Lickmeister" were humming on all cylinders! Judging from Backdoor Man's reaction, I think it was a success. Di pa nga todo yun eh; there's more where that came from. ;-)

Great jams with guests Kit (Kulukati), John and Kedy (Working Stiff)!  Whew -- parang nagensayo!  :-o

Watch out for  the next installment.  Sino nga ba at kelan, Backdoor Man?

ey delta, thanks for the post... last night was definitely fun! Jook Jam was jammin alright... nice choices you made, too!  And Kedy? Dang, his blues guitar was sweeeeet!  :mrgreen:

next up is AKI on May 10, a young group doing their first stripped down set at the Backdoor. SNAKECHARMER gets down on May 24. Still waiting confirmation for other saturdays of summer. uhmmm.. Johnoy and Kakoy w/ Ronnie might do a bluesy set before summer is over. :mrgreen: Will post here as things unfold.

Post ko recent pics later... unfortunately, walang pics from last night. My batt went dead (tupid!) and even the lomo group were out of film coming from a shoot at the fort. Di bale, bawi na lang ako sa next gig. :wink:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 01:46:45 AM by backdoor_man »
http://backdoorbluescafe.multiply.com
"LAY DOWN MORE SORROWS" Another Night Of Soul-Stirring Blues Music@Backdoor Blues Cafe Oct.4 (Saturday)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 08:33:27 AM »
Re pics: I already asked John to ask Kedy to share the pics/vids they took.

Ayos, dami pa pala aabangan sa series...  Put Jook Jam down for another Sat that's available, kahit tag-ulan na ang Summertime Blues Saturdays.  :-)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 09:18:03 AM »
I just checked my calendar... ano plano natin sa Sat, June 7?  Perhaps in celebration of June 5....  Dapat big party to!   ;-)

Offline backdoor_man

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 10:11:39 AM »
pics from past gigs:

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 10:21:10 AM by backdoor_man »
"LAY DOWN MORE SORROWS" Another Night Of Soul-Stirring Blues Music@Backdoor Blues Cafe Oct.4 (Saturday)

Offline backdoor_man

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 01:11:15 AM »
Sked update:

AKI - May 10
SNAKECHARMER - May 24
JOHNOY & KAKOY w/ Ronnie The Kid on blues harp - May 31

here are links to some vidz:

PLUG "Someday After A while"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yKO7mUPKMQM

SNAKECHARMER "My Slow Draggin' Week"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JCWBleuvG_M

JOOK JAM "Cross Road Blues"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JCWBleuvG_M

*pls bear w/ the crappy cam
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 05:08:56 PM by backdoor_man »

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 08:59:22 AM »
backdoorman - gawa nga tayo ng mtv or pictorial dyan sa backdoor para mas maganda-ganda naman ang presentation namin.  baka pwd tyo tulungan nung lomo peeps.  i can also bring a digicam.  pagusapan natin...  ;-)

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 02:17:55 AM »
mga senor,

thank you very much for the privilege of being able to play ALONGSIDE some of the most admired blues players in the country.  ron, it was an honor to meet you.  buwisit ka, nagpapabili tuloy ng silindro si arion!! chester, when i was your age i could play only 5 percent of what you did that night.  you are an awesome player and god knows how big you're gonna get in a few years time.  and delta, pinagyabang ko na nang todo hanggang sa blue rats na nakatugtog na ako sa tabi mo.  thanks for the enriching experience listening and playing jook jams material. sana po mapagbigyan niyo akong tumugtog muli kasama niyo sa mga susunod na pagkakataon.

backdoorman - salamat at nagkita at nagkasama tayong muli after -- years (oo, di ko ilalagay at nakakahiya)! ituloy mo lang ang ginagawa mo at salamat sa pag-asikaso. kit, sana jam din ako sa inyo sa kulukati. pareng leo, salamat din sa kwentyhan.  sana di naman ako kahiyahiya sa tugtugan. pareng john, salamt sa imbita at sa pagbabaho.  parang ws rin di ba?

keep the blues spirit alive.  i truly enjoyed that one! pics coming soon. inaayos lang ng anak ko. dilim eh.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 07:26:02 AM »
asus!  it was our honor and pleasure to jam w/ you and john. masarap!  sa uulitin ha. ;-)

btw, mostly Soul Benders material yung jinam natin. :-D

Offline backdoor_man

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 09:49:05 AM »
backdoorman - salamat at nagkita at nagkasama tayong muli after -- years (oo, di ko ilalagay at nakakahiya)!

haha, iwan na nga natin sa 2-digit question mark... kitakita ulit!

Offline el dorko

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 11:51:19 PM »
haha, iwan na nga natin sa 2-digit question mark... kitakita ulit!

Bossing, many thanks again for inviting us to play! It was also great getting to meet Ronnie, Leo and Chester. Sana maulit, kahit makijam lang kami!  :-)
www.youtube.com/jebspogi<br />www.soundclick.com/jebs<br />www.facebook.com/ginilingfestival<br /

Offline backdoor_man

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 01:01:21 AM »
ey jebs, salamat din! u guys are always welcome sa backdoor... daan lang kayo, pagusapan natin.  :wink:

Nga pala, baka may interesado sa grupo, joric aka deltaslim will be conducting a blues guitar clinic/s. meron na rin ata post sa guitar central, check it out.

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 09:23:48 AM »
ey jebs, salamat din! u guys are always welcome sa backdoor... daan lang kayo, pagusapan natin.  :wink:

Nga pala, baka may interesado sa grupo, joric aka deltaslim will be conducting a blues guitar clinic/s. meron na rin ata post sa guitar central, check it out.

sabado na ito!!

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 03:58:59 AM »

tagal ko nang di napapadpad dito... nice pic backdoor!

Offline backdoor_man

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 11:27:37 AM »
sked update for MAY 24 @ Backdoor Blues Cafe:

Deltaslim's Blues Guitar Clinic 5-8pm, at ang bandang kung tawagin ay

SNAKECHARMER sa isa na namang masarap na gabi!!! 9:30 - ???
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 11:32:52 AM by backdoor_man »

Offline backdoor_man

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 12:40:34 PM »
Salamat ulit sa Snakecharmer, umugoy-ugoy na naman ang ulo ko kagabi!  :mrgreen: Pati na rin ang katahimikan ng mga kapitbahay eh umugoy-ugoy! :lol:

At salamat din sa jammers... mai, ronnie, alex at si johnoy.

Si johnoy,kakoy at ronnie naman ang magpapasarap satin sa darating na sabado. :wink:

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 01:03:31 PM by backdoor_man »

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 05:09:19 PM »
Wala bang Back to School blues series? LOL

Naiwan ko pa yung amp ko jan. Umulan kasi, bad trip.

Offline backdoor_man

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 08:05:39 PM »
Wala bang Back to School blues series? LOL

Naiwan ko pa yung amp ko jan. Umulan kasi, bad trip.

"but there ain't no cure for the back to school blues..." hmmmm... :-D

your amp's in a safe corner, daan ka lang

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 01:48:01 PM »
thanks kay Delta for the amp and the extension chord!  :-D

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 07:36:35 AM »
thanks kay Delta for the amp and the extension chord!  :-D

... and the clamp-on tuner (to tune Ruben's parlor)! ;-)

Offline backdoor_man

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2008, 10:11:05 AM »
delta, makikiraan lang ulit. :-D

sked update:
JOHNOY(danao) & KAKOY (legaspi)  - May31. Ngayong gabi na po! Kasama nila si Ronnie on blues harp. Sya yung mag conduct ng blues harp clinic next week.

JOOK JAM - June 7.
To close the summer, it's the Reverend Deltaslim's JOOK JAM w/ his congregation, Chester of Plug on guitar, Ruben of Snakecharmer on lapsteel, Ronnie on blues harp.

BLUES HARP CLINIC - June 7 and 14  5-7pm
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 10:12:21 AM by backdoor_man »

Offline utoy

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 01:19:44 PM »
delta, makikiraan lang ulit. :-D

sked update:
JOHNOY(danao) & KAKOY (legaspi)  - May31. Ngayong gabi na po! Kasama nila si Ronnie on blues harp. Sya yung mag conduct ng blues harp clinic next week.

JOOK JAM - June 7.
To close the summer, it's the Reverend Deltaslim's JOOK JAM w/ his congregation, Chester of Plug on guitar, Ruben of Snakecharmer on lapsteel, Ronnie on blues harp.

BLUES HARP CLINIC - June 7 and 14  5-7pm

balita ko may celebration sa June 7  :mrgreen:
jul, plug

Offline backdoor_man

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 02:12:08 PM »

balita ko may celebration sa June 7  :mrgreen:

oi jul! end-of-summer jam,pre. :wink: punta kyo ng boys, panoorin natin sila chester.  :-D