hulika

Author Topic: "Gear gets in the way if it becomes your focus" - Derek Trucks  (Read 18502 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: "Gear gets in the way if it becomes your focus" - Derek Trucks
« Reply #150 on: October 01, 2009, 03:44:26 PM »
Hey, I have a Princeton 65. And I love it. It gives me the Fender Clean which almost everyone might like or have liked or may like. And the gain channel coupled with the 3 band eq gives me several options from blues to metal.

Of course, this post has nothing to do with the topic because DT doesn't use Princeton 65. I still looking for the honey roasted "nut" though.

Peace  :-D

No offense atty, but that amp will really work hard in a rock band scenario...

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #151 on: October 01, 2009, 03:58:24 PM »
I saw a Twin Reverb there in Ratsky Morato...

Ditto na marami ring rock gigs na pinapatay ang tenga ko pagdating sa tone, pero ang major difference is maturity.  Pag nakakita ako ng teenagers na tunog bandsaw ang gitara, naiintindihan ko kung bakit.  Di gaanong problema ang timplahan sa mga may experience na gitarista.  

When I said COMPRESSED ang tunog, it simply means the gain/distortion and the clipping nature of the fx pedals through a harsh-sounding SS-amp with the treble attenuated yields this tone.  

And one thing about PAs... no amount of 'timpla' through a pocket amp can save you if the PA is gawdawful especially without monitors.

Oh yes if the PA system was crap then siguradong yari ako nun... But see most pop venues rarely have bad PA systems...
Oh but teenagers aren't the only ones guilty of sounding like crap... Maturity is a state of mind not of being... Kahit naman matatanda na nasa underground scene eh may mga d din maganda ang tone... Pareho lang talaga yan kung sa pop man or sa UG meron lang talagang mga tao na mas marami ang nakakaapreciate ng tone nila... But as I've said it is subjective maaring sayo pangit sa iba maganda...  PA sytems aren't the basis of good tone  kelangan mo lang eh yung tamang klase hindi kelangan na laging top of the line at boutique para lang maka produce ng magandang tone kahit naman ordinaryong gamit napapatunog din ng maganda eh :-D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 04:25:34 PM by bluenote »

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #152 on: October 01, 2009, 04:00:58 PM »
No offense atty, but that amp will really work hard in a rock band scenario...

65 watts hmmmm.. I can make that work... 48 watts nga lang ang ginagamit ko eh... depende lang talaga... kung maingay ang drummer mo kelangan talaga naka mic at nakapatong sa upuan...

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2009, 02:47:59 AM »
DT rocks. His music is an eye opener for me. But has no pedulz.  :lol:
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline 24242009

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #154 on: October 02, 2009, 05:45:36 AM »
i think I got his point but first id like to point out that he gets his tune straight via electric guitar and amp as written in the interview. so basically he is a guitar-amp guy, correct me if im wrong here :) because i havent heard his music nor watched any.

but there is a big distinction between playing guitars and playing with stomps/effects. its like using two different weapons but of the same purpose. other guitarist start with clean then add effects, which is what they like. others gain sound straight via effects without looking in the clean side, and when the effects are off sometimes it sounds like crap but with effects on its cool. just like the intro of "bulls on parade" the wah sound, with no wah effects will sound bad as if its only a one-way strumming, but when effects are on it sounds catchy.

i do hope you get my point, if gears are the enemy we might as well go back to acoustic and throw away electric guitar since its limited. well put it this way whateever car we drive its the same car but with different features, its not how fast we drive, its about using it to the full potential. just look at the ae-86 trueno of takumi in the initial d anime, watch it and you will get what i mean.

moreover, creativity in what? what medium? it using full potential about the gears you have. you might only have a single ds-1 and yet you can make chart topping hits, well i guess you got what being a musician meant. you may have truck loads of pedals but you cant even compose a song and all you do is cover songs, where is creativity in that? so its best to use whatever we have to the full potential and upgrading later on

I also agree with him well gears, gutiars whatever are just mediums, whats important is how we express ourselves using the mediums. eventhough its only a ukelele if we can make truly good songs, what ever weapon we choose we can do it. Im not saying that all guitarist must be a pro singer, no! the topic is about expression so I guess we truly must let it out. with imagination anything is possible  :-D

well just take a look at beatles, during their early days they hardly had any gears like what we all have now. all they have is clean electric guitar and truck loads of imagination. but on the later part of their career when they had access to various equipments their imagination also expanded. try listening to their albums "sgt pepper" and "abbey road" those albums I can say are the point of beatles maturity in writing music. their early days are catchy as well but so simple but cool. Nirvana's music is next to simple as well.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 05:57:53 AM by 24242009 »

Offline erniebong

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #155 on: October 02, 2009, 11:14:44 AM »
I guess just the bottom line is try to write good song and try to play them well regardless of what or were you plug into :-D

Offline 24242009

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #156 on: October 02, 2009, 10:09:37 PM »
right on dude,  :-D