hulika

Author Topic: "Mango" as tone wood  (Read 14790 times)

Offline rickbig41

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: "Mango" as tone wood
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2012, 05:21:09 PM »
Kapag hindi maganda ang mango na ginamit sa gitara, maasim ang tunog :lol: :lol: :lol:

nice Sir mods...hehehe...maasim ang guitar...seasonal na guitar yan..hehehe..dapat hinog na, para matamis ang tunog...hehe...
Those who did not learn from history are meant to repeat it...

Offline dakungfuking

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2012, 06:19:33 PM »
(ash, alder and pine are NOT cheap now and it still is used in a majority of higher end instruments.  So, despite as so-called 'dirt cheap' wood in the 50s, it is still around and has become a standard -- something that mango will NEVER become for guitar wood.)

if acoustic guitar builders use mango i have no doubt in my mind that it can be used on Electric guitars,

Alex don't get me wrong, im not saying its the ultimate tone wood or that we can substitute it with the traditional woods for instrument making,
im just saying some builders use them and i personally dont have any problems with that

(but if you compare 'some' ply guitars than sound better than 'some' of the killer sounding vintage guitars, I think the ply guitars will sound like crap.)

and if we also compare some not so good sounding vintage instruments  with a decent ply guitar, the vintage no so good sounding guitars would most probably sound like crap too,

(hold your horses, have you tried a Trussart?  I have and though the metal component is mainly the pickguard which does affect sound, the majority of the guitars is still wood.  And I can tell you that the metal component does not make it sound any less 'woody' in sound.)

some trussarts have a hollow steel body but the neck is wood of course
ex. steelcaster, steeldeville and no i havent tried one

(Would YOU spend something like US$5000 on a 'decent' instrument made of mango?)

by decent i didnt mean a $5000 guitar alex :)

im curious alex, would you pay $5000+ for a killer instrument made out of mango?
let say yaron was willing to make you one and he said that mango was a killer wood?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:58:10 PM by dakungfuking »

Offline sonikyut

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2012, 06:19:59 PM »
bagoong tone
It's heavy metal fatigue.                                                                                                      Postlude.

"Biruin mo na ang lasing maging ang bagong gising, wag lang sa βading na inagawan ng booking"... - George Harrison

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2012, 07:14:27 PM »
I saw the mango tone wood guitar by face. As i was keenly looking at the grains, ibang klase. Parang dent lines siya at ang dami. One thing na na badtrip ako was the way it was made. Hindi pulido. I didn't buy it.  :idea:
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2012, 09:14:06 AM »
Isn't mango wood "ma-dagta" (what's that in english  - "sapful"  :?)?  I remember we had to cut down this mango tree in my grandparents' place and the trunk and branches from that tree still felt sticky years after the tree was cut down.

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2012, 11:18:06 AM »
some trussarts have a hollow steel body but the neck is wood of course
ex. steelcaster, steeldeville and no i havent tried one

I think there's a Trussart full-hollow steel Jazzmaster.

@Alex: How do you feel about Travis Bean, those aluminum-necked Kramers, and stuff from the Electrical Guitar Company? I know you're really particular about tone/wood but what are your thoughts on steel/aluminum?
Offset guitars for life.

Offline 69Thursdays

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2012, 12:50:08 PM »

at 1:06 of this video, gary moore explains how he tests the guitar unplugged. i think this makes sense.

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2012, 07:28:21 AM »
Isn't mango wood "ma-dagta" (what's that in english  - "sapful"  :?)?  I remember we had to cut down this mango tree in my grandparents' place and the trunk and branches from that tree still felt sticky years after the tree was cut down.

I do believe that it's quite ma dagta. But I don't know how old the wood was. Siguro, it dried up for years of leaving it in the stock room. As per research, modern guitars daw are mostly influence na with the pickup and not so much with the tone wood. One reason also why I didn't buy it is because its set neck. Looking at the fret job of the custom guitar, mag may sablay (buzz, rings, etc.) di ko maayos na ganon ka dali comparing it with bolt on necks.
Do-it-yourself tirada!