hulika

Author Topic: Boutique Pedal Review: Matchless Hot Box -- Not for the financially challenged  (Read 72411 times)

Offline Avayaman

well, in fairness to him, meron din naman siya mga reviews of items he bought for a lot of money that didn't meet his expectations. i don't know him, and all of those which he has reviewed before i've never heard before. but i take it at face value, and if he feels that my gear is inferior to his, well, that's his opinion, not mine. he does mention a lot of boutique things which i'd probably never buy, but i find his reviews interesting. it's like when i read reviews of benz's and bmw's on car magazines which i don't plan on buying, but i read it anyway, bec. it's fun!  :lol: he could tone done on a lot of things though... :wink:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 07:07:59 AM by Avayaman »

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Not for the financially challenged, but definitely within the reach of the electronically gifted.

Pretty simple circuit. Doesnt even have exotic mystifying parts like an output tranny.

Give or take, with production (and not NOS tubes) it can be assembled within 2k pesos worth of parts.

http://www.schematicheaven.com/effects/matchless_hotbox_overdrive.pdf

Hmm BAMF, I can make a Fuzz Face clone - electronically gifted na ba ako? I plan to venture into making a tube pedal for MYSELF e.  Wala lang, fun siya. :)
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
The review is informative. For information's sake. But as for the title... the "politically correct" term is bound to cause anarchy.

I don't consider myself financially challenged, and I believe that many of us here possess the humility not to flaunt how many zero's there are in all the bank accounts they have, or "materially fixated" they can be.

I'm tempted to bite... but my zen tells me to stay cool.

The title is a turn off, I may even go as far as to call it offensive. A post like that in any forum is sure to cause a stir. I don't want to preempt you, but I'm sure it was intentional... you controversial dude.

"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline R0B1EP061

The review is informative. For information's sake. But as for the title... the "politically correct" term is bound to cause anarchy.

I don't consider myself financially challenged, and I believe that many of us here possess the humility not to flaunt how many zero's there are in all the bank accounts they have, or "materially fixated" they can be.

I'm tempted to bite... but my zen tells me to stay cool.

The title is a turn off, I may even go as far as to call it offensive. A post like that in any forum is sure to cause a stir. I don't want to preempt you, but I'm sure it was intentional... you controversial dude.

now that's what i was talking about!

Offline cumbersome

• Philmusicus Addictus
If boutique gear is his fullfillment, let the guy be. And even if he doesn't play as good as someone would expect a guy with arguably the best gear around (at least pricewise, hehe) to be, he's still in a position to review these things simply because he has them. And he's rich. Hehe. Conversely, if you own a beat up Fernando and play like freakin' Van Halen, then no amount of money can change the fact that you can kick oas' ass when it comes to doing melodic minor runs and fills. Kanya-kanya lang yan, hehehe. But i do want to try out oas' stuff. So i wonder when that party will be... :)

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus

Wait wait - the title IS politically correct?  :?

Offline superoxy

• Forum Fanatic

It maybe a Politically-correct insult, but its still an insult
\\\\\\\"I am afraid of people who are boring, but require too much attention to ignore. \\\\\\\" - Jamie Hyneman

Offline Avayaman

for whatever motives or topics OAS has, i'll have to give it to him...

HE ALWAYS HAS THE MOST INTERESTING POSTS!!!

:-D :-D :-D

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus

It maybe a Politically-correct insult, but its still an insult

Got it. :)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
i was trying to find sound clips of this Hot Box online but I can't find any - anyone found some? And before I forget, BAMF, meron ka ba na link sa mga pedals mo? I wanna browse and see what I might be interested in.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
haha.. pareng Robie, my point is wag na lang sana patulan yung posts nya coz madaming napipikon pa rin sa kanya, which in turn turns into flaming (yet again). kung baga e we should just try reading his "reviews," no matter how opinionated and price-based they seem to be, without any ill feelings about his claims that all the other pedals, etc. are inferior and crappy, among others. magandang mindset na lang is kung pumasa sa standards ni oas, who claims to be of another "level" eh di at least aware tayo na may ganung gamit na nag-eexist :)

just to lighten things up, how does it compare to the equally-expensive Soldano Supercharger pedal sir oas? that should be a better comparison because at least they're in the same ballpark in terms of pricing.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 08:50:34 AM by Poundcake »
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
If boutique gear is his fullfillment, let the guy be. And even if he doesn't play as good as someone would expect a guy with arguably the best gear around (at least pricewise, hehe) to be, he's still in a position to review these things simply because he has them. And he's rich. Hehe. Conversely, if you own a beat up Fernando and play like freakin' Van Halen, then no amount of money can change the fact that you can kick oas' ass when it comes to doing melodic minor runs and fills. Kanya-kanya lang yan, hehehe. But i do want to try out oas' stuff. So i wonder when that party will be... :)

yes, we would all like to try out those toys. particularly, if he doesn't leave the "financially challenged" out of it either, which i'm sure he wont because oasgomez is a darling in person and his generosity in letting us play with his stuff is great. his reviews of reference quality stuff is fantastic, coz we get to show the world that we're not left out on all the goodies on the boutique market.

BUT, i only have beef with the title, its too demographically sensitive. its a hit on the 75+% who are living below the poverty level. not a very friendly title to posteither in a forum that brandishes its title with the name of a country that is classified as bearing third world status.

your ability to make music is another thing. you wont see perf or aya post a thread that is not for the "technically stunted", "tibrally deprived" or the "tonally impaired".  they'll provide tips freely with no strings or hidden messages attached. its a matter of presentation and intention.
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline cumbersome

• Philmusicus Addictus
^Unfortunately, humility isn't one of his virtues. The gear-musicianship corollary was a way to sympathize with those who were offended by his blunt market description. And since mr. oas is ostensibly financially advantaged, a tone party for those who are otherwise should be in order. Beer and chow shouldn't even make the tiniest dent compared to boutique stuff. :)

Offline agentx44

• Veteran Member
(cuddles Zoom G1)

There, there, baby! Don't let the meanie make fun of your Hotbox module....  :-D
soylent green is people.

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
... its a matter of presentation and intention.

Some people have unfortunately just not come across a good book on etiquette in their formative years...

...or chose not to read/internalize/practise what most people follow to get along with the rest of society.

Some people have Jekyll and Hyde personalities...

Some people are purposely controversial, as oas has been (from his own admission in a past thread). Their threads walk the thin line between controversy and civility, volunteering great info in the guise of 'public service', but dipping it in vinegar or taking a dig at everyone else, while serving it up. oas has not been the only one. 

Personally I don't care what great info a thread bears if it's served up distastefully like this. I wish the mods would ban their asses or at least delete effin threads like this one.

This thread title WAS willfully malicious. Truly and Totally "a CRASS ACT." 'nuff said.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 10:51:38 AM by vegetablejoe »

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
Man, I can't believe the title of this topic. It screams "I am so much richer than all of you". It's insulting, degrading and totally disrespectful.

Sana, if it was the first time, or a typo, I would let this pass. But coming from this person, I shall not.

As I said in his other topic about titanic saddles, posting an offensive, rude and insolent message is an open invite for reaction (violent or wussy). I think Mr. Gomez is KSP. Why would he make such an slighting gesture? He relishes in our aggressive retorts.

He is an insult to guitar players, to musicians and to anyone who is a member of this forum.  Just think, if this was a general assembly with all of us physically present, would he make the same statements? Mr. Gomez hides behind the anonymity of the internet. He knows he is sheltered by his LCD screen (Oops, he once said his computer is crappy) and wire of his dial-up pre-paid internet card.

Now, how much again for the TC Electronic Tube SCF with the egotistic, low self-esteem finger?
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
i was trying to find sound clips of this Hot Box online but I can't find any - anyone found some? And before I forget, BAMF, meron ka ba na link sa mga pedals mo? I wanna browse and see what I might be interested in.

Here's me Hotbox - http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3835735&q=hi :)

Pardon the sloppy playing.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Ahhh well with all the brouhaha...

Ang akin lang, money can't buy everything, and some things (great tone??)need not be expensive.

So far, in the less than a year I've been into modding and tinkering, I've been very much encouraged by my successes.

Talk to my customers. P500 can go a long, long way, tone-wise and I've proven it already. 

If you want, I won't even clone the matchless, I'll just bring my existing BAMFulator pedal (thanks for the idea Kulaski nyahehehe). One 12AX7 with FET pre-boost circuitry and let's A/B that instead with your Matchless. Everyone who's played through it got their panties wet (ooops hahahehe).

And then we can A/B your  Riken-ohmed TS808 versus my TS7 with metal films and TL072.

Then your MIJ OD3 vs my Sushi Taiwan DS1.

Wala lang. This is not at all a hostile challenge. It's just educational for me din. Hopefully, for you too. With luck and lots of fun in mind, hopefully it will be an eye-opener for both of us (coz you're right, I've never heard a Matchless in person).

December 18, Purple Haze. I'll be bringing my RJ Tele, pedals and my solid state Fender amp. If you've got better gear to spare, bring that. But when we A/B kelangan equal, either your amp or mine and your guitar or mine. That way it's the pedals that get A/B'ed and not the amp and guitar. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 12:17:18 PM by BAMF »
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
hanep! parang pay-per-view event!
*kuha popcorn*

may pustahan ba?  :lol:  :lol:

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Uy walang ganyanan hehehe.

It's education for the most part.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
Vegetablejoe,

Dont give me a lecture on etiquette.  Remember the strat you were trying to sell?  I even wanted to make sure that you were sure with what you were doing because I felt that I should not just get a good sounding guitar from you without you knowing how I felt about it.   You were very demanding then. You talk about etiquette but you refuse to censure those guys with dirty fingers.  You talk about provocative Subject Titles yet there are even more provocative thread titles that aim to insult specific people.

As I explained, the Matchless hot box requires a whole collection of NOS 12ax7s, 12at7s, 12au7s, 5751s, ecc81s, ecc82s, ecc83s, etc. to really appreciate and those cost a whole lot of money.  So this pedal which I mentioned is really an acquired taste and really did not WOW me at first is not for those who do not have the extra moolah to spare.  Now, it is up to you decide how much its worth for you. And I am saying for what it does, it does it well and the construction is really top notch and tough.  But I also mentioned its CONs.   The problem kaya nagmumukhang nagyayabang ako sa inyo is kasi ang mga na-review ko mahal and considered boutique.  Just tell me if you want me to review crap and thats fine because I will be more abrasive with crappier stuff.

Letour,

I am just saying it the way I see it.  Kung wala kang pera pang NOS tubes hindi mo ma-maximize ang potential ng Matchless Hot Box -- thats it.   For people who feel there are cheaper alternatives, I am just saying its not worth your while.  Pati ako, mapapagastos ngayong ako sa NOS tubes na dati akala ko ay hindi masyadong importante -- iyun pala for some circuits it makes such a big difference.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
December 18, Purple Haze. I'll be bringing my RJ Tele, pedals and my solid state Fender amp. If you've got better gear to spare, bring that. But when we A/B kelangan equal, either your amp or mine and your guitar or mine. That way it's the pedals that get A/B'ed and not the amp and guitar. 

And the shredmaster too! :) I'll be there!

Offline nicemusic

Hmm... :roll:

Money can buy gear, but not respect... :-(

But i think earning respect is not the purpose for writing thread reviews like this... :?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 01:14:41 PM by nicemusic »

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
By the way, I like the Shredmaster too.  Despite the volume drop, I actually like the texture its adds and it matches with a real loud tube amp. 

Offline toybitz

Vegetablejoe,

The problem kaya nagmumukhang nagyayabang ako sa inyo is kasi ang mga na-review ko mahal and considered boutique.  Just tell me if you want me to review crap and thats fine because I will be more abrasive with crappier stuff.

Well, Alex, "if it were only a review", then there wouldn't be any problem, would it?

Review is review.  But viantly calling modellers this, and SS amps that after detailed review of your own gear isn't just a review.

Since recording is impossible, I would hope you'd join the EB with your stuff and play them as we all have different tones in our fingers.

A word of caution though, don't call the other gears lined up for the shootout crap..or you'll we'll beat the crap out of you. (pun intended)
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?