hulika

Author Topic: Regarding Turkish Brand Cymbals  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Valve

• Veteran Member
Regarding Turkish Brand Cymbals
« on: November 25, 2007, 07:55:20 PM »
Any users here? Any thoughts about them in general?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 11:04:51 AM by Akira JUMBO »

Offline autoexec

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Regarding Turkish Cymbals
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 02:22:14 AM »
di ba turkish ang zildjians? ewan ko, not sure...

Offline Valve

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 05:41:41 AM »
Not zildjians. These ones-  http://www.turkishcymbals.com
I might be getting a hold of them, and I want to know if thy're worth shipping them over here.

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 10:32:08 AM »
Not zildjians. These ones-  http://www.turkishcymbals.com
I might be getting a hold of them, and I want to know if thy're worth shipping them over here.

i almost bought a set 2 years ago. i went with the cheaper saluda's instead (which are rebranded wuhans). i was a zildjian/sabian user and in comparing them with the turkish brand, the turks are darker and drier. pangit pang rock, swabe pang jazz, not good for all around use. kulang sa 'presence'. take note that the observation came from soundfiles (from cymbalsonly.com when they used to sell them) and turkish did not have any other models then besides what is now called the classic line

guess what...now im back to using the familiar sounding ones. sabian na ulit gamit ko

lesson learned: kung gusto mo yung tunog na naririnig sa radio, buy from the familiar brands as you wont get that "sound" from boutique makers. if you feel adventurous, by all means, take the plunge and let us know how they sound  :-D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 10:34:36 AM by peeves24 »

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Regarding Turkish Brand Cymbals
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 04:02:23 PM »
I'm visiting Singapore this month. Hopefully I can find time to visit Turkish's dealer there (The Music Lab) to check them out.

In the meantime, you can check out my probably similar-sounding Istanbul Mehmet hi-hats sa gig namin sa Magnet this Jan 10... with The Haneps, Fuseboxx, Reklamo, 5 Feet Adjustment, One Big Jesus, and Feeble. (hehe, plugging)
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 05:27:32 PM »
There are notable rock drummers who endorse Bosphorus, tulad nung sa Poison at MAE.

Si Stanton Moore din pala, ginamit niya yung cymbals niya para sa Corrosion of Conformity.

Offline vdonati_fan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 05:32:14 PM »
how about the pricing of this brand of cymbals?

is this as pricey as Zildjians and Sabians or is it even more?
"Praise Him with drums and dancing...Praise Him with cymbals. Praise Him with loud cymbals."- Psalms 150:4-5

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 05:41:16 PM »
Ang alam ko mas mura ang Turkish brands e. Pinakitaan ako ni sir Mikah (liquidxhosa) ng price list ng Bos, di hamak na mas mura kaysa Zildjian o Sabian, siguro mga +20% ng price ng Staggs. Nagkakatalo lang talaga sa shipping.  :-(

Offline Paolo-I-b

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 02:29:22 AM »
meron bang Dream cymbal users dito sa forums? comments din..
I can't say what I want to.. even if Im not serious.. just kidding..

Offline vdonati_fan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 05:20:15 PM »
meron bang Dream cymbal users dito sa forums? comments din..

i don't think there's any one yet in this thread and besides it's Off-Topic.
"Praise Him with drums and dancing...Praise Him with cymbals. Praise Him with loud cymbals."- Psalms 150:4-5

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 09:57:27 PM »
I just got me an 18" Turkish Classic series crash. Ayus sya, sounds more complex than a K, but more shimmer, but not K custom-ish.  It's like a hammered 70's A, if you ask me. Can't wait to get home to try it with a kit.

If you guys wanna hear it... our band has a gig on Jan 31 sa Al's Bar, or Feb 1 sa Mag:Net Katipunan. ;)

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 08:50:50 PM »
I just got me an 18" Turkish Classic series crash. Ayus sya, sounds more complex than a K, but more shimmer, but not K custom-ish.  It's like a hammered 70's A, if you ask me. Can't wait to get home to try it with a kit.

If you guys wanna hear it... our band has a gig on Jan 31 sa Al's Bar, or Feb 1 sa Mag:Net Katipunan. ;)

I just tested the thing with my chipipay kit kanina. Sounds good. As in not bad at all.

Since it's between medium and medium thin, the thing is responsive kahit mahina lang ang palo. It swells easy. It blends well with my 2 other main cymbals (22" Zildjian K custom dark ride & 18.5" Sabian Chad Smith crash). Its trashiness (being a handmade cymbal and all) turns to shimmer as the rest of the other parts of the kit drown each other.

It sounds suitable for low to medium volume gigs. Baka mahirapan sa loud gigs. I find the sound warm and not particularly peaky, so I found it more suited for crashes on the 1 and 3 (with the bass drum), as opposed to the 2 and 4 (with the snare), if you get my drift.

There were other crashes. The Kurak and Sehzade series. The Kurak's an unlathed and unpolished variant. Imagine a K Custom Ride na hindi pinolish, so kinda brown siya. The Sehzade's a striped one, na may alternate rings of lathed and unlathed bronze. These two variants have warmer sounds that I imagine are more appropriate for jazz or other low-volume and low-"density" types of music.

Anyways, this one's a keeper. I'm wanting to buy another Classic series crash next week (punta ulit ng Singapore eh, hehe), kaso lang wala na raw stock sa The Music Lab, and they won't have any for a while daw. In any case, I'll still try to drop by the store kasi ang bait ng mga tao dun... sila Alvin (the owner), Mark (an instructor), and Tristelle (?) the one who received my order. Si Tristelle pala tsiks, hehehe.