hulika

Author Topic: Giving new life to your axe (mods for your humble Epi LP)  (Read 37095 times)

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Giving new life to your axe (mods for your humble Epi LP)
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2010, 10:16:25 PM »
Ok folks, sorry for the long wait...

Right now, all of the hardware, pickups, and electronics were taken off. I didn't have to change the tuners though since it already came stock with Grover's.

bro suggest ko lang make it a classic and switch it with something like this (chrome):

btw, im enjoying this thread! :D

Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline nalu

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2010, 10:50:57 PM »
cool tip nalu

if im gonna do this, i'll draw a cardboard template first, then put all the 4 pots and solder them capacitors, wires etc. then put them all together and just solder the connections. its easier that way. But i bet you knew this already. :lol:

continue continue :mrgreen:

Right on the spot there Rmansh... thanks!
That's actually what i'm planning to do... the control cavity is a relatively small working area when you start bringing in both hands to work... cheers.

Offline nalu

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2010, 10:54:17 PM »
Ok folks, sorry for the long wait...

Right now, all of the hardware, pickups, and electronics were taken off. I didn't have to change the tuners though since it already came stock with Grover's.

bro suggest ko lang make it a classic and switch it with something like this (chrome):

btw, im enjoying this thread! :D

Nice suggestion bro!
I will consider that (slowly peaking into my wallet now) LOL
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 11:02:38 PM by nalu »

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2010, 11:05:04 PM »
Okay This is my Black Beauty LP. When a set of EMG-HZ pickups became available, I snapped this up and installed it.

Then I made and installed a high-impedance unity gain preamplifier which greatly de-loads the pickups and makes the guitar sound "breathe".

I forgot to take a photo, but in the switch cavity is a crystalcore scalarizer, which transformed the tone. Now my LP sounds like a fat strat. Best of both worlds. LP playability, sweet strat tone.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2010, 11:10:18 PM »

Nice suggestion bro!
I will consider that (slowly peaking into my wallet now) LOL

@nalu i would also consider locking grover tuners that have the same type of profile your exisiting tuner has, hey if you love that guitar you'll spend on it regardless :)

Offline nalu

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2010, 11:22:26 PM »
Okay This is my Black Beauty LP. When a set of EMG-HZ pickups became available, I snapped this up and installed it.

Then I made and installed a high-impedance unity gain preamplifier which greatly de-loads the pickups and makes the guitar sound "breathe".

I forgot to take a photo, but in the switch cavity is a crystalcore scalarizer, which transformed the tone. Now my LP sounds like a fat strat. Best of both worlds. LP playability, sweet strat tone.

wow! that's one heavily modded electronics right there. \m/
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 11:23:30 PM by nalu »

Offline nalu

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2010, 11:29:32 PM »
@nalu i would also consider locking grover tuners that have the same type of profile your exisiting tuner has, hey if you love that guitar you'll spend on it regardless :)

I wasn't aware that Kluson had locking tuners with metal keystone knobs.... cool.
But I think i'd go with the regular keystone knobs if ever I do upgrade the tuners.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2010, 11:33:29 PM »
I wasn't aware that Kluson had locking tuners with metal keystone knobs.... cool.
But I think i'd go with the regular keystone knobs if ever I do upgrade the tuners.

these arent klusons(2 screw), these are grovers..

Tuners     Locking Grover Keystone

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/2008-Les-Paul-Standard/Specs.aspx

Offline nalu

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2010, 12:02:24 AM »
these arent klusons(2 screw), these are grovers..

Tuners     Locking Grover Keystone

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/2008-Les-Paul-Standard/Specs.aspx

Oh yeah, you're right.
Never seen those before, but if it has the same profile as the stock Grovers then that would mean you don't have to drill holes for the Kluson's with 2 screws. And yet you get the benefits of locking tuners and keystone looks. Excellent recommendation there bryan... thanks! I wonder what's the price tag on these though I can't seem to find a site to order from.  :-D

Offline nalu

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2010, 12:03:25 AM »
Alright, finally got the chance to resurface, grab some food, and post some progress here  :-D

I'm finally going to assemble the RS Vintage Kit with Luxe Bumblebees and I'm going for the 50's style wiring which is shown below:

Good thing about the Luxe Bumblebees is that it's got this glossy sheet of paper with a complete guide and diagrams on the 1959 Gibson Les Paul wiring and electronics. Here's a snapshot of that sheet of paper:

So hopefully I end up with something that looks like this

Before we move on to the actual soldering, let me introduce the tools of the trade.

I have this soldering stand which comes with a cavity were you can put the sponge on. Really useful when you don't want to burn stuff when you accidentally place your soldering iron somewhere else. Of course, the main tool, we have a 40W Hakko Red soldering iron.

40W I think has the most versatility specially for audio parts where you have to do some small solder joints and yet it gives you the needed power to quickly heat up surfaces like those of a pot.

I also use soldering paste.

I don't really apply it on any of the parts. Instead I regularly dip the soldering iron into it to help clean up any oxide build up for a more efficient soldering.

For the solder, I use a 60/40 rosin core.  It has a flux in the center which is really inert at room temperature, but at highly elevated temperatures it helps clean the surfaces to be soldered, prevents oxidation, and its also an excellent wetting agent.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:58:04 PM by nalu »

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2010, 12:18:20 AM »
Oh yeah, you're right.
Never seen those before, but if it has the same profile as the stock Grovers then that would mean you don't have to drill holes for the Kluson's with 2 screws. And yet you get the benefits of locking tuners and keystone looks. Excellent recommendation there bryan... thanks! I wonder what's the price tag on these though I can't seem to find a site to order from.  :-D

there's speculation that gibsons buy the normal looking grover locking tuners and replaces the pegheads from allparts or what not..it maybe costly but thats up to you nalu

Offline nalu

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2010, 12:38:18 AM »
there's speculation that gibsons buy the normal looking grover locking tuners and replaces the pegheads from allparts or what not..it maybe costly but thats up to you nalu

i see...
Looks like i need to do a bit more researching for the tuners but I think any keystone option that would have the same screw holes as the stock Grovers should be the right direction.

Offline nalu

« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2010, 12:42:26 AM »
Moving on...
I created a template where I can temporarily put all 4 pots on, and work from there. What I did was to get a cardboard, shape it using the cavity cover, put it against the mounting holes from the guitar, trace the holes then cut them out. I ended up having this:

Now I mounted all 4 pots into the template and start putting some solder over them.

It's like preparing all the pots for the ground connections. It is the best time to do this since there are no other components that will prevent you from tilting your soldering iron and heat up a bigger area in the pot.

So now we have all four pots with solder for the ground connections.

Next I soldered the vintage clothed wires for connections and then the bumblebees.  This is the final product:

Honestly, I'm not very happy with what it looks like right now. I feel like I need to go the extra mile and scavenge for a bare solid wire for the ground connections (I know... it's just me being me  :-D).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 12:47:34 AM by nalu »

Offline jrpalomo

« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2010, 01:21:29 AM »
wow, good job so far. YOU ROCK!

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2010, 02:30:51 AM »
Naks. Looks good !

Great idea using soldering paste specially with the pot casings. Its quite difficult to create a solder blob on these things without a little extra...mmm...help.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline wireless_system

« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2010, 02:43:09 AM »
really nice thread 8-)

Well documented, with pictures step by step.
Parang naging Tutorial na din sa mga iba pang magmomodify na similar ng sayo :-)
"I know that I know nothing"-Socrates

Offline Boxedking

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2010, 03:10:32 AM »
really nice thread 8-)

Parang naging Tutorial na din sa mga iba pang magmomodify na similar ng sayo :-)
not only that, others get the chance to give/share their personal tips as well.
www.soundclick.com/viruprison | www.soundcloud.com/lei-guitarist

Don't let the gearhead kill the musician in you. Philmusic s/b PhilGEAR

Offline nalu

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2010, 12:23:23 PM »
wow, good job so far. YOU ROCK!

Naks. Looks good !

Great idea using soldering paste specially with the pot casings. Its quite difficult to create a solder blob on these things without a little extra...mmm...help.

really nice thread 8-)

not only that, others get the chance to give/share their personal tips as well.

Thanks for all your kind words... I'm pretty stoked that you all dig it.

Alright, here's some progress on the wiring...

I was able to look for a solid wire hanging around my dungeon. It just felt like the Vintage Clothed Wire is not giving it enough justice. So here it is with the bare solid wires for the ground.

After that, I did check all connections and inspect for any cold solder. At this point, it's also good to check if you didn't TOAST any of the pots. All pots should still read approximately 500K.

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2010, 12:45:14 PM »
^ nice

so if the pots are below 500, they're toasted? will a toasted pot function properly? i mean can you hear the difference?
you got 3 hands nalu? who took the pics? :lol:
looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline nalu

« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2010, 01:20:43 PM »
^ nice

so if the pots are below 500, they're toasted? will a toasted pot function properly? i mean can you hear the difference?
you got 3 hands nalu? who took the pics? :lol:

It actually depends where your knobs are.  If the knobs are set to full scale, resistance value is supposed to be in the 500K range. At minimum scale, it should have a negligible resistance value. Or even vice versa, it depends which pot log you're connected to. But the idea is that it should still swing from 0 to 500K (or 500K to 0), if you sweep through the full range and your DMM is connected between the middle log and any of the two outer logs.

I only experienced a toasted pot once before. It was a B100K mini-pot made in china. After it got toasted, it was just acting as an open switch.

Nope, no third hand bro... LOL. I have a gorilla pad for the camera. It's handy for doing those kind of pics.  :wink:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 01:35:00 PM by nalu »

Offline nalu

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2010, 09:17:07 PM »
Time to post some progress, this thread is about to become stale... :-D

I've completed wiring the Switchcraft Short Toggle Switch...

... with the Vintage Braided Wire

Here's the result:

There are three wires connected to the toggle switch; one each for the two volume pots and one for the input jack. One thing that you really shouldn't miss is to make a common ground connection between the three wires like this.

I used the vintage clothed wire, wrapped it around three times, and put an ample amount of solder over it.  Aside from a common ground connection, it'll also make the installation of the toggle switch easier as it adds mechanical strength to the harness.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:59:16 PM by nalu »

Offline nalu

« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2010, 09:56:25 PM »
Now, it's time to prepare the pickups...

I'm gonna be installing the Seth Lover PAF set on this guitar. There's this article by legendary tones that influenced me in getting this pick-up set. Basically, it's supposed to be a faithful recreation of what a PAF design would be if you were to buy a brand new one today.  It was a collaboration between Seymour Duncan and Seth Lover, the original PAF designer. He's like the PAF daddy of the guitar world I guess... LOL

It comes with a wiring diagram (again), mounting rings (which we won't be using since it's black), srews, and springs.

Another good thing about this pickup is that it comes stock with vintage braided wires...

... so the only thing left to do is to peel off the shielding braid and cloth like this

Offline Naokira

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2010, 10:22:15 PM »
[gooey brown stuff] parang teleserye! :) akala ko OK na ung tones standard LP ng epiphone.  :-(
good work sir. aabangan ko ang mggng final results mo.  :mrgreen:
Why do people tend to believe that there is something or someone behind the clouds?

Offline nalu

« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2010, 10:39:49 PM »
[gooey brown stuff] parang teleserye! :) akala ko OK na ung tones standard LP ng epiphone.  :-(
good work sir. aabangan ko ang mggng final results mo.  :mrgreen:

thanks! teleserye ba? LOL
hope you stick around until the final episode... *cheers*

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2010, 11:40:06 PM »
Seth Lover: the PAF Daddy! :P (i like that!)
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25