hulika

Author Topic: DIY Travel Ukulele Build (with pics)  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
DIY Travel Ukulele Build (with pics)
« on: May 02, 2018, 12:22:09 AM »
Inspired by Circuits and Strings travel ukulele builds on Youtube and my chronic itch to play a musical instrument while at work during “not so busy” days

Because I cant bring my guitars to work with me and I want to play something with minimal volume and I love DIY stuff especially wood work related, I share with you my first handmade travel uke

I couldnt find a place that retails hardwood here in UAE so it was quite frustrating at first until I saw this chapati/roti maker (Indian bread) at a local supermarket. I’m not sure what wood it is but it is hard

The chapati maker was a little over 12” in diameter so I had to take the middle part of it to make the neck

I printed a template of a soprano neck from the net

Squared all the sides after cutting the neck blank and a sharp bench plane iron is key to success. I spent more time sharpening my irons and chisels on this build than actually carving and shaping the whole uke

I didnt have a razor saw or an actual fret saw so very carefully, I cut the fret slots with my cheapo coping saw

Hammered the frets into the slots with a mallet from Daiso and cut to length using an old clipper. Since the cut is not flush to the edge of the neck using the clipper I used my needle file to file the frets flush to the edge

I dont have a lot of proper tools for this build so I made use of what I have... needle files and chisel and a lot of time to shape the neck

Filed the frets ends crowned the frets

Cut the sides from the remaining pieces of the chapati maker

I glued the sides to the neck and used dowels for extra strength. Also glued a 1/8” piece of pine as the back of the uke
Cut a piece from the chapati maker left over to serve as a bridge

Carefully filed the saddle slot. I ended up planing the bridge after it was glued to the body since the action was too high

Carving the slots for the bridge

Glued the bridge on the body and you can see the string guide at the butt of the uke. I salvaged a baby’s crib from the trash last week and the string guide is from the wooden rails of the crib, not sure what wood it is but it is hard too. I drilled a hole at the center of thw cylindrycal string guide and attached a bolt with a nut to it. i inserted the bolt with the nut part into my cordless drill’s chuck and it became my poorman’s lathe so I can make the grooves as uniform as possible

After a lot of sanding,I installed the bone nut and saddle and Grover friction tuners

And here she is, strung with Aquila Nylgut strings

I didnt put any finish on it yet since Im still researching that part. Maybe you guys can give me an advice. I played it for a bit and it sounded okay :) loud enough for my taste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 12:41:17 AM by Jellybean »

Offline red lights

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: DIY Travel Ukulele Build (with pics)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 02:01:25 PM »

wow! ang galing ah!
Kahit na nasasaktan, Hindi pa rin mahindian

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 03:04:24 PM »

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 03:12:35 PM »
I am envious of Jellybean's resourcefulness and DIY spirit.  :idea:

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 03:24:15 PM »
I am envious of Jellybean's resourcefulness and DIY spirit.  :idea:

hehe...thanks

nakuha lang yun "DIY spirit" dito sa PM

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 05:42:34 PM »
tahts actually pretty good man! post vids!
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 06:04:53 PM »
tahts actually pretty good man! post vids!

Thanks. Sige try ko magpost

Offline Ben Tsing Co

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 12:03:11 PM »
Heto talaga mga topics na GC worthy hindi katulad sa iba diyan na "bot-like-youtube-vid-ads

Awesome build men!  :mrgreen:
“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 11:20:38 PM »
grabe. ang galing e. yung neck shaping palang nakakapagod na sa palagay ko.  :lol:

Sa pinipig, bukod sa pwede mo singhutin, pwede mo rin tikman.

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 11:40:12 PM »
Heto talaga mga topics na GC worthy hindi katulad sa iba diyan na "bot-like-youtube-vid-ads

Awesome build men!  :mrgreen:

Salamat!

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 11:41:32 PM »
grabe. ang galing e. yung neck shaping palang nakakapagod na sa palagay ko.  :lol:

Hirap nga bro needle files ba naman gamit ko hehe. Pero kung may rasp sana ko saglit lang yun neck shaping.

Very important na may bench vise ako

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 05:41:31 PM »
Put a piezo rig!

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

I'd rather be sharp than flat.