hulika

Author Topic: V-Picks Users Thread  (Read 17307 times)

Offline .Geno.

• Forum Fanatic
V-Picks Users Thread
« on: July 02, 2010, 09:10:59 AM »
V-Picks Guitar Picks and Plectrums

Well, I started from Dunlop Tortex and Eric Johnson Classic Jazz III. However, after acquiring a Small Pointed V-Pick yesterday and trying it right after at my friend's studio in Tandang Sora, I was smitten for it actually clings to my fingers and it provides a superb grip. Between my previous picks, it has better ability of not slipping from my sweaty hand, and for me, it's the best replacement for small jazz picks out there. I had no warm up for merely a week but I easily felt my hand muscles relaxed, the pick does not move around my hand, helping me to play more accurately. Moreover, I immediately noticed the tone consistency, the sound was crisp and sharp, for I usually warm up for several minutes, just me and my strat, unplugged.

I'll just be more watchful and protective nalang with it this time for it is very prone to be mislaid, transparent pa man din :lol:

Many thanks to Sir Chris for bringing them to us! :-D

Link: http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,192290.0.html

Offline raybrig

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: V-Picks Users Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 12:28:35 PM »
Me, im a user, not happy, madulas sya e  :?
zzzzzzz

Offline Boosted

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 03:59:52 AM »

clean/wash it using water and toothpaste. :)

@geno
you're welcome! glad you enjoyed the pick!

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 04:31:14 AM »

the more scratches the better lol, i actually enjoyed that they dont wear out quickly..

clean/wash it using water and toothpaste

+ some listerine  = Kumukutikutitap

Offline Boosted

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 04:39:12 AM »
the more scratches the better lol, i actually enjoyed that they dont wear out quickly..

+ some listerine  = Kumukutikutitap

hahaha that was vinni's suggestion.

are you using the 2.75s?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 04:40:46 AM by Boosted »

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 04:46:48 AM »
hahaha that was vinni's suggestion.

i know its in the website, so to save toothpaste i brush my teeth with the picks in my mouth *gargle...

are you using the 2.75s?

yup, i like these things..i still have a few will last me through the year..good pics, i rotate with the dunlop (small 3.0mm)stubbys sometimes,

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 10:18:41 AM »
i know its in the website, so to save toothpaste i brush my teeth with the picks in my mouth *gargle...

:lol:

Offline pualux

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 05:38:39 PM »

:lol:

Offline Boosted

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 11:35:03 AM »
ahahaha!   :lol:

ill have sir aya post an unbiased review of the picks also.. so abangan natin :D

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 11:39:45 AM »
probably goes something like

i use tu like dunlup piks, bat becos of v-picks i pound samting beeter..now yu kno

Offline Boosted

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 12:11:14 PM »
probably goes something like

i use tu like dunlup piks, bat becos of v-picks i pound samting beeter..now yu kno
hahaha we'll see  :wink:

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 12:24:44 PM »
hahaha we'll see  :wink:

was playin, hope he posts it soon

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 12:28:58 PM »
These picks have always intrigued me, ditto goes for red bear.

How do they sound vs the Jazz IIIs?

I've been swinging between Jazz III XLs and Ultex, depending on my mood and the sound I'm after, but not exclusively to those coz there are times that I dig the big triangle picks, which I enjoy when I play clean.

I'm a pick junkie  :-D
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 12:35:36 PM »

I've been swinging between Jazz III XLs and Ultex, depending on my mood and the sound I'm after, but not exclusively to those coz there are times that I dig the big triangle picks, which I enjoy when I play clean.

being a junkie you know its ok to try one....one lang...one pick..that's all it takes to be v-pick addicted..

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 12:37:38 PM »
being a junkie you know its ok to try one....one lang...one pick..that's all it takes to be v-pick addicted..

yes,  totally agree.... just one pick... only one... look but dont touch... touch but dont taste... taste but dont swallow...
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 01:18:27 PM »

My pet peeve is that the ones with polished edges are a bit chirpy at first. I think they've some unpolished ones now.

Offline raybrig

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 01:39:37 PM »
Are you guys serious about the toothbrush/toothpaste thingy?!?!
Might as well give it a try then hehe
zzzzzzz

Saturn/Return

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 02:02:33 PM »

My pet peeve is that the ones with polished edges are a bit chirpy at first. I think they've some unpolished ones now.

+1 on the additional chirp it adds. Initially, I was also annoyed a bit but it may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the voicing/character of your guitar. I found that if your guitar is already bright, alive and "chirpy" by nature - using V-Picks was a bit over the top. But I noticed with a dark sounding guitar, V-Picks seem to really shine here.

I definitely wanna give the unpolished V-Picks a try.

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 02:32:06 PM »
chris anong pick bagay sa kin at sa tugtugan ko? im using jazz III red yung maliit now

Offline Boosted

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 04:24:33 PM »
Bri - small pointed 1.5 or 2.75 :)

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 08:06:41 PM »
Bri - small pointed 1.5 or 2.75 :)

hmm... same price noh?

Kuha ako small pointed 2.75. Pareserve!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 08:15:16 PM by shredmaestrobri »

Offline juan sinko

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 01:30:13 AM »
V-pick Traditional Lite (gauge 1.50 mm)

acquired last night

ok naman yun tunog nung string at makapit sa fingers yung pick
and na obssess ako sa pick itself because i'm also a guitar pick collector ito yun collection ko kaso wala pang v picks diyan sa pics

ok naman yun laro niya sa 10's(10-46)
yung thickness niya daig pa sa dunlop tortex na gauge 2.0mm
JUAN SINKO UPPERS CLUB<br />MoDUS ExPERIMENTUS ako <br />Upping is not a crime

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 01:33:19 AM »

I'm now a V-Pick user. I was opting to get the small one, the one similar to the jazz III, i tried it i hated it. Why? for the reason, i could feel some pain in my forearm, just be holding it and angling the same way i do with my old picks.. I tried the other samples which boosted gladly made me try, the rounded...it was just to smooth and it glides through the strings a little too much, prone to making those wrong notes, you hit the second string, you'll hit the first string as well, it's not your fault...it the fault of your old picks.

The jazz III's when the get used up, they tend to get that beveled rough edge that kinda sticks to use strings. Now you know why you get to exert that extra effort to make that guitar solo throw up. =)

So what did little ol' me (little daw oh hehe)...I got the screamers. I got three of them. They are bigger than Jazz III's. The medium and the screamers are almost the same, the screamers are a bit longer i guess (tama ba Chris???)

Anyway, i felt soooo comfortable using the screamers, i tried doing the fast runs when i got home. I had to loosen up a bit, my picking now has less tension, meaning di na gigil. Runs are much smoother, i don't get tired, no pain and tonewise, it added more balls and clarity, mas dinig ang sabit notes mo....IN 3D!!!! hahaha!!!!

But seriously, i'm addicted to the V-picks right now. It's a cheaper addition for excellent tone. Acoustically you could also hear the difference.

I wouldn't recommend you guys to do pick scrapes with it because you are going to ruin them picks. Use your nails or tongue instead. lol!!! :-P

PHP180 for a pick...it's a cheap investment to go for. Don't take my word for it, just like you I'm also a user. Different strokes for different folks ika nga.

I will post another review soon if they can withstand the abuse with the 7 string.

kainis nakakagas ka magreview
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 01:34:21 AM by shredmaestrobri »

Offline raybrig

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 08:18:24 AM »
^Bri: seriously may difference talaga sa tone, try it unplugged. I did brought some of my vpicks last gas day, pinakita ko kay jammingpapu, cky and seph/daturd. the problem is we don't have guitars to test hehe.

Did the "toothpaste" solution, and it worked wonders. medyo mas naging clingy. masarap naman talaga gamitin yun lang talaga, daliri ko OA mag sweat, had to make punas punas mya mya hehe
zzzzzzz

Offline yeyeh

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 08:30:16 AM »
tama si p.rising!very cheap investment!!ramdam agad ang linaw:)