hulika

Author Topic: Tube Amplifier crackling sound?  (Read 1132 times)

Offline koton4

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Tube Amplifier crackling sound?
« on: April 08, 2013, 01:02:18 PM »
I have a Peavey Classic 30 which sounds great but one day I start hearing this crackling noise. The weird part is when i tilt the amp forward at a slight angle the problem goes away. I've tried tapping each tube to see if it might be the cause of the problem but the crackling occurs regardless whether im playing or not or tapping any of the tubes. It only disappears when I tilt it forward.

Any suggestions?

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Tube Amplifier crackling sound?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 01:06:42 PM »
Is that the old or new C30?

Problem with the old C30 is the crackling sound which may be remedied by placing a tube guard with a rubber that touches the tip of the tubes. One cause of crackling in the old models was the lack of this tube guard with the rubber support thus the tubes are prone to being shook by the vibrations.

Offline koton4

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 01:16:18 PM »
I believe its the old model http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss197/StratsRule07/DSCF04071.jpg

I'm not quite sure if its vibrations causing the crackling sound since it crackles even when I'm not playing when the amp is turned on.
But note that when I tilt the amp forward slightly, the crackling goes away even when I'm playing.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 01:21:34 PM »
I believe its the old model http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss197/StratsRule07/DSCF04071.jpg

I'm not quite sure if its vibrations causing the crackling sound since it crackles even when I'm not playing when the amp is turned on.
But note that when I tilt the amp forward slightly, the crackling goes away even when I'm playing.

That's the new model since it has the tube guard.. Although it doesnt have the rubber support under the power tubes..

Hmm.. Try interchanging V1 and V2 of the preamp tubes and see if the noise/crackling sound goes away.. If it does, you might have a tube that may be in need of a replacement..

Offline koton4

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 01:26:36 PM »
I'll try that out as soon as I get home and let you know of the results. Thanks  :)