hulika

Author Topic: LAYLA vs M-AUDIO  (Read 953 times)

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
LAYLA vs M-AUDIO
« on: October 19, 2009, 02:35:15 AM »
A music store in quiapo called and offered me ( at very nice price ) a Delta1010 (M-Audio)...
when i ask for the package, sabi nya " rackmount daw... i asked for the pci card
but replied.. " anong card ?? "

But then napaisip pa rin ako... so i searched and read some reviews...

...until i found this:

" Compared to my faithful Layla, the sound from the Delta was a
touch more transparent and a bit more focused. "

" what happens when you start comparing the Delta to the Layla? With the Delta 1010, you've
got a solid 24/96 box that for all practical purposes is what we'd expect a "Layla 24" to
look like--almost $100 cheaper than the price of the current 20-bit Layla."

- Bruce Richardson

=================================================================

" I'm still very faithful with my Layla... How about you? " ( she's 11 years old yata )

- alien_inside

http://www.echoaudio.com/products/Discontinued/Layla24/specs.php
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 01:15:05 PM by alien_inside »
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Re: LAYLA vs M-AUDIO
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 12:09:41 AM »
Dalawa kasi ang delta 1010. Mayroong delta 1010LT which in my mind has the best bang for the buck if you want an entry-level setup. PCI card lang kasi yun. It looks ungainly with all its "lawits" but hey, if you're more for function than form, it's hard to beat.

Then there's the Delta 1010, which is (in my understanding) electronically the same but is more professional looking with its rack-mount wajjamacallit. It still has a PCI card going into the computer and again I understand all the important A/D and D/A electronics are in that card. Mas mahal di hamak ang rack-mount it's like double what you could get the card for, with just about the same capabilities.

Then Boskit tells me, you can actually stack Delta 1010LT's to get a maximum of 20 inputs and of course 20 outputs. I haven't come to the point yet where I'll need that many, but it's reassuring to know that I have an upgrade path without having to ditch my beloved 1010LT.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 12:12:23 AM »
Oh yeah the rack-mounted wajjamacallit is just a break-out box. The 20 max is for my setup because my DAW only has 2 PCI card slots. But I think the limit is just about as many PCI slots your DAW has.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 01:14:10 AM »
Then Boskit tells me, you can actually stack Delta 1010LT's to get a maximum of 20 inputs and of course 20 outputs. I haven't come to the point yet where I'll need that many, but it's reassuring to know that I have an upgrade path without having to ditch my beloved 1010LT.

I'm almost positively sure na you can do that with the Delta1010 too.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 08:54:41 AM »
But I think the limit is just about as many PCI slots your DAW has.

I think I have to qualify this. The problem with populating all pci slots is that you run the risk of IRQ conflicts, especially if you are mixing different cards from different manufacturers. M-audio, I believe, has been able to skirt this issue because it assigns only 1 IRQ if it detects there are same/similar cards in the slots. For example, you can mix the Delta 1010 card with a Delta 44 or Delta 66 at will without IRQ issues and the cards will sync with each other via the pci buss.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire