hulika

Author Topic: bad monkey  (Read 27146 times)

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
bad monkey
« on: February 23, 2007, 10:12:09 AM »
this is not a diss against the digitech bad monkey.....rumored to be a PERFECT replacement for a ts808.

i tried one at a music store the other day ( guitar center- el toro ). it is DIFFERENT, the similarities are 50-60%.

i felt kinda relieved, coz a few months ago i shelled a serious amount to buy the reissue, which rumored to sound different to a vintage ts 808. to realize that i spent too much mula on an overdrive, then to find a $39 ts808 clone would be a total bummer. :-D

i'm not sayin it sucked, it's just diffferent. the BM has the potential to become it's own monster. compared to the ts 808 though, it's not as clear and tubing sounding IMHO....but good enough!
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: bad monkey
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 10:24:06 AM »
this is not a diss against the digitech bad monkey.....rumored to be a PERFECT replacement for a ts808.

i tried one at a music store the other day ( guitar center- el toro ). it is DIFFERENT, the similarities are 50-60%.

i felt kinda relieved, coz a few months ago i shelled a serious amount to buy the reissue, which rumored to sound different to a vintage ts 808. to realize that i spent too much mula on an overdrive, then to find a $39 ts808 clone would be a total bummer. :-D

i'm not sayin it sucked, it's just diffferent. the BM has the potential to become it's own monster. compared to the ts 808 though, it's not as clear and tubing sounding IMHO....but good enough!

for an inexperienced OD user like me i have to say that BM is good enough to be his own monster.
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline Boosted

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 10:25:56 AM »
i like my bad monkey :) tried ts9 pati ung may dx.. sa gcsf and samash sa cerritos. ung hinahanap ko na tunog nasa baaaad monkey. :)

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 10:41:55 AM »
welcome back, pareng Jon!

it really depends on our preferences :) i use the Bad Monkey as a backup "ngongo" drive pedal and i sold my TS-808 because of it (and my trusty ol' HBE Power Screamer).. of course, the TS-808 can definitely capture the SRV tone better than the Bad Monkey, but the BM has just this smooth sound that makes it worth the $39.95 + tax :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Kulas

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 10:58:49 AM »
uy? binenta mo na si power screamer?

ako my opinion on the badmonkey, yeah, it's good enough for me. i was satisfied na with my badmonkey until i got an offer for a TS-9 which i just had to take, hehe. upon getting home, i A/B-ed the pedals, to my dismay, they're almost the same. mas clear lang yung TS-9 and mas "analog" yung tone, pero the badmonkey is a close second, actually parang kaya pa habulin with the more flexible controls on the badmonkey. so yun i sold the badmonkey and kept the TS-9. mali ko i should've kept both na lang, sarap nun pag cascaded eh, SRV baybeh!

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 11:02:01 AM »
uy di noh.. mahal ko si Power Screamer, di ko ibebenta yun hehe. yun pati BM ang reasons why binenta ko na yung TS-808
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Kulas

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 11:09:36 AM »
uy di noh.. mahal ko si Power Screamer, di ko ibebenta yun hehe. yun pati BM ang reasons why binenta ko na yung TS-808

kala ko binenta mo eh, hehe. kala ko ok ka na sa "upgrade complete" mo, hahaha!

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 11:13:28 AM »

kala ko binenta mo eh, hehe. kala ko ok ka na sa "upgrade complete" mo, hahaha!

haha! saka na muna ako mag-uupgrade pre, "we require more minerals" muna e haha!

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 11:13:45 AM »
I have both the reissue 808 and the BM.Right now the 808 is under my bed gathering dust.I say the extra bass knob for the BM made the difference because I could tell whenever I use it to push my mesa OD,its smoother and more sustainey compared to the 808 reissue.Imagine if the BM had a mid tone knob?
The BM deserves another banana  :-D

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 11:29:07 AM »
just in case you guys didnt read what i posted....

i said the BM's got it's own sound.....comparisons to a ts808, kaunti lang. kasi that's what i read at harmony central, na sobrang huli daw ang tunog ng ts808.

not a diss, but i really think hindi nya huli ang 808. but it's a good pedal.

like poundcake said, depende sa preferences mo. ako kasi diehard srv fan e. sa pandinig ko, mas fuzzy sound ang BM kesa 808. that doesnt mean it's BAD, ok? :-D
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 11:31:28 AM »
Anything that's monkey is good. Like spanking it, for example. It has provided countless hours of solitary entertainment when I was in my early teens.
I got nothing against Bad Monkey either. Rock on.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 12:29:21 PM »
Anything that's monkey is good. Like spanking it, for example. It has provided countless hours of solitary entertainment when I was in my early teens.
chickens are good too....... you either choke it or wank it.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 01:04:11 PM »

like is said the BM has the potential to be a monster....one eyed monster that is. :-D

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 01:09:55 PM »

like is said the BM has the potential to be a monster....one eyed monster that is. :-D

And BM do have its own sound. Especially when loose.
Putcha, palayo na nang palayo ah. :lol:

Offline lao

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 01:32:59 PM »
ipon ng money para sa bad monkey!!! tube sceamers arent that bad din naman :-D

Offline ejbasses

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 01:51:35 PM »
ako ang favorite ko sa BM yung ultimate double burger  :?
analog signal processing equipment
Read My Blog! http://kaliKotaudio.blogspot.com
Like my Facebook Page! http://www.facebook.com/KalikotAudio

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 01:55:32 PM »

ok sana un kaya lang ang nipis ng patty(tama ba spelling???)...
GAS Free 2007

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 02:34:45 PM »

Me Burger Machine pa rin ba? Lakas ko dating kumain dun.

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 02:58:25 PM »

Me Burger Machine pa rin ba? Lakas ko dating kumain dun.

mdami pa sir bart. lalo na sa mga provincial area. pero ganun pa din ung store nila.
GAS Free 2007

Offline knightburn

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 03:01:52 PM »
I would take any Jumbo BM with Coleslaw anytime in my day...  :-D

* drool :lol:

On topic, I was able to to A/B the Digitech Bad Monkey with Ibanez' TS9 and they are almost the same. The TS-9 just has its analog like feel on it, more smooth sounding when boosting an amp or existing overdrive. Whereas the Bad Monkey, somewhat colors my sound... but the added Bass knob is where it really shines! Really a must for heavy to rock enthusiast guitarist.  I still kinda feel sometimes that this BM is digital... or maybe it's just me...

How A/B'ying it with SD-1? Anyone have tried that?  :wink:

Psalms 33:3 - Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Ibanez SAS32FM, Washburn Mercury, Ibanez DE7, DOD FX17, MiAudio Crunchbox, Small Clone, Boss RV3, Digitech BadMonkey, Vox 847A, Zoom TriMetal, Fulldrive MOSFET

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 06:13:10 PM »
I would take any Jumbo BM with Coleslaw anytime in my day...  :-D

* drool :lol:

On topic, I was able to to A/B the Digitech Bad Monkey with Ibanez' TS9 and they are almost the same. The TS-9 just has its analog like feel on it, more smooth sounding when boosting an amp or existing overdrive. Whereas the Bad Monkey, somewhat colors my sound... but the added Bass knob is where it really shines! Really a must for heavy to rock enthusiast guitarist.  I still kinda feel sometimes that this BM is digital... or maybe it's just me...

How A/B'ying it with SD-1? Anyone have tried that?  :wink:

I have both the SD1 and the BM... the SD1 has more gain and is in the trebly side of things... yung BM, i like the way it puts a lot of mids in the tone...agree ako ke B2D, its a different monster... TS808's has more gain as well, not sure yung orig na ts808, i only tried a reissue, fact is, mas close pa yung SD1 sa 808 kesa sa BM...

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2007, 05:41:35 AM »
wouldnt mind having both. hehe
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Chito

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2007, 06:56:44 AM »

Do you have the fat boost on your PS, Poundcake?

I also have the BM, SD1, BD2 but never had a TS9 or 808. I find them different is some ways but they're all in the TS9 family which for me are the pedals with the pronounced mids.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2007, 09:13:35 AM »
wouldnt mind having both. hehe

you wouldn't mind having all pedals in the world! pangarap mo yun diba? haha! :lol:

Do you have the fat boost on your PS, Poundcake?

I also have the BM, SD1, BD2 but never had a TS9 or 808. I find them different is some ways but they're all in the TS9 family which for me are the pedals with the pronounced mids.

yup, my Power Screamer has the Fat Boost. i keep it on all the time :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 09:33:22 AM by Poundcake »

Offline ritch_079

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2007, 11:24:14 AM »
question po.. what do you think of digitech's tone driver? nasisimulate daw nya ung ts808 and ts9.. kaya ba talaga? mern ako xtd pero havnt tried the TS's.. so wla akong pang compare.. hehe