hulika

Author Topic: stick twirling  (Read 2865 times)

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
stick twirling
« on: June 27, 2006, 09:44:10 AM »
I mean it's nice to watch and all, but nowadays, it's becoming too much.

I watched some kids play in Jam218 in Mindanao Ave. ("kids" kasi matanda na ako, hehehe) and their drummer was doing a bit of stick twirling.  I thought it was nice of him to display some showmanship, and I had fun watching and had no problems with it. Well, until he did his drum solo.

While soloing, he twirled a stick with his right hand up in the air while his left did some pounding. Then he fumbled on his left hand and dropped his stick. Instead of doing something to save the solo, this kid continued to twirl the stick in the air while for about 10 seconds (a lot of time already) he was trying to get his stick back to his left hand.  It was just the hand in the air and his head buried down while he was trying to get his stick. So while the left hand was out, his right foot was only sometimes working the bass drum and his right hand was twirling the stick in the air.

Yeah, THAT's going to really sound good.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
stick twirling
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 12:15:57 PM »
He should buy more sticks and place his stick bag close by so he can just grab one whenever he drops a stick (which happens a lot anyway, even without the baton, er, stick twirling). The way you describe it he sounds like could only afford one pair  :roll:

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
stick twirling
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 01:23:08 PM »
Twirling is unnecessary.

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
stick twirling
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 02:00:50 PM »
^^ I agree... but it does make for a good show.  I wouldnt recommend it for recording tho (how would a twirling stick sound? hahaha).

For me, it just means that rock is on the up-trend. Aside from twirlers, I'm seeing the comeback of shred.  See, like stick-twirling, there's really no money there, but a lot of people are practicing hard on their instruments not only to have good technique, but also to give audiences good shows. It tells you a lot about on what music and shows are to people nowadays.

Offline max506

stick twirling
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 03:57:43 PM »
Maybe he should've gone to EB3 and gotten some tricks from Benni. Hehe That man could really twirl his sticks!  :shock:  Ang layo naman ng inabot mo Inigo! Di ba your from the South?

I agree that stick tricks and twirling aren't really needed but it is fun to watch. The new drummer for Alamid does this a lot bordering on being O.A. IMHO. He goes more for quntity than quality in what he does. Just imagine a zillion notes and fills sa "Your Love" medyo overkill na.  :?

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
stick twirling
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 04:32:53 PM »
@max506... Yea, taga south ako.  Alabanger. But a gig's a gig.  Ika nga, pag may nangangati, mahirap nang hindi magkamot :)

In fairness, yung mga may sticking twirling exhibitions sa EB3, bumawi naman sa lupet pumalo. Benni, for example, twirled his sticks on "fun" parts of his playing, which actually accentuated how lively his performance seemed.

(Baka naiinggit lang ako, since I can't even twirl a pen decently.  :oops: Hahaha.)

Pero grabe ha, "Your Love". Ahihihihi.  Baka na-bore. :)

Offline Eni

stick twirling
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 06:51:47 PM »
sorry pero di q gnagwa un while playing,pero marunong ako wakeke. :lol:

Offline max506

stick twirling
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 12:06:12 PM »
Haha natawa ako dun Inigo! Rommell to bro  8)

Eni are you the drummer for Alamid?  :shock:

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
stick twirling
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 01:30:39 PM »
Oi Rommel... Long time :)

Practice muna ako ng twirling... heehee

Offline emperwurm

• Philmusicus Noobitus
stick twirling
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 04:10:30 PM »
stick twirling is fun at times wen ur in the zone especially if ur half drunk and ur band is playing these space out grooving jams and u just wana kick it into high full gear..sometimes i do stick twirling but i dont overdo it too much...it does get a bit cocky at times...and ur merely showing off to other people that u can twirl a stick while playing...well people would rather listen to u and ur band play rather then twirling sticks the whole time....that my friends is what u call punish! :twisted:
"I fear no beer for I am the man without beer.."

Offline Eni

stick twirling
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 06:58:25 PM »
Quote from: max506
Haha natawa ako dun Inigo! Rommell to bro  8)

Eni are you the drummer for Alamid?  :shock:

? haha no. :lol:

Offline panterica

• Board Moderator
Re: stick twirling
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2006, 04:02:16 PM »
Quote from: inigo
I mean it's nice to watch and all, but nowadays, it's becoming too much.

I watched some kids play in Jam218 in Mindanao Ave. ("kids" kasi matanda na ako, hehehe) and their drummer was doing a bit of stick twirling.  I thought it was nice of him to display some showmanship, and I had fun watching and had no problems with it. Well, until he did his drum solo.

While soloing, he twirled a stick with his right hand up in the air while his left did some pounding. Then he fumbled on his left hand and dropped his stick. Instead of doing something to save the solo, this kid continued to twirl the stick in the air while for about 10 seconds (a lot of time already) he was trying to get his stick back to his left hand.  It was just the hand in the air and his head buried down while he was trying to get his stick. So while the left hand was out, his right foot was only sometimes working the bass drum and his right hand was twirling the stick in the air.

Yeah, THAT's going to really sound good.

wow, anong banda ito?
I know you would say that at for the record di mo ako kilala ROOKIEBOY. Tinawag kitang rookie at di lahat, IKAW LANG GET IT. Hanggang dyan ka na lang....puro cheap shots - Pallas

"Good artists copy, great artists steal"

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
stick twirling
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 01:57:33 AM »
^^panterica... I've no idea.  They might have mentioned it, but the sound system was so bad, that I couldnt understand anything that was being spoken into the mic. I didn't bother to find out either. :)

Offline engot_spears

Re: stick twirling
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 03:55:13 PM »
d bale ba sana kung si john blackwell ang mag twirl ng sticks..Ü