hulika

Author Topic: Converting an Amplifier from 110v to 220v  (Read 2995 times)

Offline mawts_gwaps

Converting an Amplifier from 110v to 220v
« on: April 09, 2013, 12:25:55 AM »
Hi guys, I recently acquired a Fender Blues Jr III (US 110v). So yeah, as the title goes, I want to convert this from a 110v to a 220v amplifier.

So far I've been reading this thread (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/327130-converting-amp-110v-220v-where-start.html), and basically understood that it's not a good idea to use a step down transformer (my original plan was to place an external transformer inside the amp)

Basically, my concers are:
1) Did I understand the thread correctly? (sorry electronics noob here)
2) Can this permanent "conversion" be done DIY? with a lot of help from engineering graduate buddies of course!
3) If not, should I let mang Raul do this? or pwede na sa local appliance repair centers?

Would very much appreciate your comments and insights!

Thanks a lot!  :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:57:07 AM by mawts_gwaps »
"OUIDO", hindi "WIDOW"

Offline fretzburner

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Converting an Amplifier from 110v to 220v
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 06:48:24 AM »
If you can find an original drop-in power transformer from the manufacturer that's the best route.re-winding from 110v to 220v is not a good idea,better use step-down transformer and still preserve your amp's value.
"It's not just the game of notes,it's the sound inside your soul"

Offline paul_sigua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 02:02:46 PM »
I have a 110v Blues Junior too. I use a step down transformer and had no problems whatsoever. I stick it inside the amp when I carry it, then I place it outside the amp when I plug it. No hum, buzz or any kind of noise.  :)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 02:07:54 PM »
If you ask a qualified rewinder, converting should not harm your amp.  In fact appliances bought in the USA wanna see 120V AC, not 110V - which most transformers do here. 

Mang Raul knows how to rewind any transformer, including Toroidal transformers - a feat!

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 02:58:28 PM »
I have a 110v Blues Junior too. I use a step down transformer and had no problems whatsoever. I stick it inside the amp when I carry it, then I place it outside the amp when I plug it. No hum, buzz or any kind of noise.  :)

same here..I just bought a regular, readily available sa hardware or handyman store..stepdown transformer and stick in inside i dont even put it out anymore...check the required power though..usually nakasulat yun sa likod..jot the data down para makuha mong transformer ay tama yung output usually dapat sobra sa hinigingi ng amp...

*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline mawts_gwaps

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 07:35:34 PM »
If you can find an original drop-in power transformer from the manufacturer that's the best route.re-winding from 110v to 220v is not a good idea,better use step-down transformer and still preserve your amp's value.

Hi sir, resale value lang ba yung concern for rewinding? Or is there a technical concern? as of now I'm leaning towards to have it rewinded by sir Raul if ever eh, too expensive yung original drop-in transformer haha :lol:

Exactly the same thing I do sir!  :)

If you ask a qualified rewinder, converting should not harm your amp.  In fact appliances bought in the USA wanna see 120V AC, not 110V - which most transformers do here. 

Mang Raul knows how to rewind any transformer, including Toroidal transformers - a feat!

Yeah gonna contact him tomorrow, any idea how much this would cost sir?

same here..I just bought a regular, readily available sa hardware or handyman store..stepdown transformer and stick in inside i dont even put it out anymore...check the required power though..usually nakasulat yun sa likod..jot the data down para makuha mong transformer ay tama yung output usually dapat sobra sa hinigingi ng amp...

From what I read, my blues jr requires 150w, the transformer i'm using now is 300w. No problems pa naman so far. :)
"OUIDO", hindi "WIDOW"

Offline fretzburner

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 08:11:53 PM »
Some technical but depends on you(the owner) if you really want to alter your priced amp.In my case i will never have my Subway Rocket PT rewound to 220v.Stepdown transformers is the easiest,safest and cheapest way.
"It's not just the game of notes,it's the sound inside your soul"

Offline mawts_gwaps

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 12:35:44 PM »
Thanks for the insights guys, I decided to have it rewound by Mang Raul. He'll reinstall the rewound transformer on sunday daw.

After some thought, I realized that I bought the Blues Jr not only because of its sound, but also because of its portability, and medyo mawawalan ng sense yun if I'll have to lug around a transformer everytime. I could have just bought a bigger amp then.

Appreciate all your comments! Thanks!
"OUIDO", hindi "WIDOW"

Offline nasyo

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 07:23:24 PM »

most of the transformers sa mga combo tube amps galing US na Made in China, may terminal na po para sa 220 volts. i-kabit mo lang yong nakakabit sa 120 sa may 220 volts.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 07:38:36 PM by nasyo »