hulika

Author Topic: Your very first blues experience.  (Read 6543 times)

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
Your very first blues experience.
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2006, 02:49:32 PM »
Quote from: vegetablejoe
Quote from: dantuts
hey vege ..your also a janis joplin / Big Brother and the Holding Company
 fanatic.. ayos..!!!

does blue_buddha's band cover these ?

well request din...  :wink:

Hindi ata. Pero kung mangulit tayo ng mangulit, baka tayo pagbigyan, hehehe.

Naku, di ko nakita 'tong thread na 'to until just now. Had we seen this yesterday we could have done Piece of My Heart for you last night Veggie Joe. Right now, that's the only Janis tune in the current songlist with Mai.

With Tricie singing, we also do "Piece.." along with "Try" and "Mercedes Benz". We did "Ball and Chain" once with her too. When she visits in December we can get her to "yank your chain", hehehe.

With Clare a couple of years ago, we also did "Piece" along with "Move Over", "Turtle Blues", "Summertime" and "Half Moon".

So yes, we can and did do a lot of Janis.

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2006, 09:37:36 PM »
AWESOME!!!!! :D

There you have it, dantuts, straight from the horse... errrr... rat's mouth  :lol: Now all you gots to do is watch their gigs like we do and request!

Offline ortigas

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2006, 12:14:24 PM »
Quote from: Tarkuz Toccata
Quote from: 430nmtune
But the album that did it for me was the 'Guitar Boogie' by Clapton, Page and Beck.

I have that vinyl album also.

I've also got that album on vinyl!!! Awesome!

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2006, 12:22:06 PM »
Quote from: spilledmilk
my dad played "from the cradle" ni eric clapton sa car player. he said "dapat ganyan ka...yan ang magaling...". I remember by that time i was already able to improvise a little bit and i said to myself "ahhhh so ive been playing a bit of blues na pala" (ANG KAPAL KO NO???!!!)

Whew! Well I can say is you have a very hip dad to be laying that kind of music on his offspring. Hope you took that to heart. :)

From the Cradle was Clapton's tribute to the old blues greats. There's another album he did later on. Sessions for Robert J - which is a tribute to Robert Johnson. I think he tried to do all the Robert Johnson songs in this one. This came out in CD and DVD - the DVD was great, they tried to shoot in the same hotel/studio that Robert Johnson used to record those old songs (Crossroads, Ramblin', etc) The DVD is widely available around town as a dibidee if you catch my drift.

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 04:06:24 PM »
Quote from: vegetablejoe
AWESOME!!!!!  

There you have it, dantuts, straight from the horse... errrr... rat's mouth  Now all you gots to do is watch their gigs like we do and request!

ayos.. hopefully sana malate or makati yung gig.. blue buddha..PM me your real name para isisigaw ko na lang yung request ko .. hehehe..

or better yet i can request it right here na.. "piece of my heart" , "ball and chain" and "Bye bye baby"...yan ang mga request ko .. sa ngayon hehehe..

mag a-la james gurley ka ..hehehe ..

@vege

lapit na lang ako sayo pag nakita kita sa gig nila..  :wink:

I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2006, 04:02:39 PM »
hehe... we were planning to cover some janis' tunes too, especially since may keyboards naman kami.  stuff like 'Move Over", "Try", "Piece of Heart", etc. nasa study cd namin yang mga yan eh. adapted for a male voice, of course. but i bet it would be a homerun w/ the Blue Rats.  mag-focus na lang kami  instead sa mga Otis Redding and gospel/soul stuff namin... hehe. :-)

been a long time fan of Janis blown away by the liver version of "Ball and Chain".

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2006, 04:31:20 PM »
i read somewhere that when janis joplin left the Big brother and Holding company...ang pumalit sa kanya ay lalake...to avoid comparisons...(parang e heads--nagbabaeng singer naman)

si nick gravenites....anyway,delta slim you could cover some songs from his tenure with the band Big Brother and Holding company.at least panlalake.
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2006, 01:43:00 AM »
Quote from: deltaslim
hehe... we were planning to cover some janis' tunes too, especially since may keyboards naman kami.  stuff like 'Move Over", "Try", "Piece of Heart", etc. nasa study cd namin yang mga yan eh. adapted for a male voice, of course. but i bet it would be a homerun w/ the Blue Rats.  mag-focus na lang kami  instead sa mga Otis Redding and gospel/soul stuff namin... hehe. :-)

been a long time fan of Janis blown away by the liver version of "Ball and Chain".

a "homerun"??? you're kidding right? :)

Janis makes me shudder. she's just too f***in great. iconic. but yeah, we do Piece...usually as the finale to cap the night, when it's already safe to siphon out all the vocal energy from my arsenal. i fear your expectations though, so you better start chugging those beers way ahead so you won't even notice the gaps hehe...:)

i heard mr. crayon's ball and chain version live at the Fete two years ago. i still worship the guy who belted it...what an inspiration...=D>

going back to this thread's topic...kudos to the boys of Snakecharmer for igniting my curiosity about the blues. my first experience would have to be my introduction to their cover of Hoochie Coochie Man. i was a classic rock latebloomer, until they made me discover the origins of these awesome amalgamations of blues rock, soul, jazz, country and everything else in between that i am so addicted to today...the blues bottomline stays intact, and i have not looked back since...:)
"When I see waste here, I feel angry on the inside. I don't approve of myself getting angry. But it's something you can't help after seeing Ethiopia." - Mother Teresa

Offline spilledmilk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2006, 03:59:15 PM »
hehe. yep. nung mga panahon na yun kasi ang mga trip ko pa mga nirvana, sonic youth, breeders...etc.
im not sure if my dad really knows what blues was all about...i mean, napaka wierd kasi ng mga trip nya e: asin, beatles, clapton, abba, beegees...somehow tumatak rin sa akin lahat ng yun (yes including abba)...pero yung tape nya ng clapton na "from the cradle" isa talaga sa favorite nya yun. di lang nya na mapatugtog kasi nawala ko yung tape...hehe

i also like that record kasi talagang "old fashioned" chord progressions ang tema...halos pareho2x nga yung ibang kanta...pero by way of his playing, parang iba-iba ... thats where i learned the power of the vibrato...you can make one note sound different depende kung pano mo papatunugin...ang galing talaga

by the way, pareho ata kami ni clapton: we seldom or never use our pinky for fretting. ang kapal ko talaga!!!

Quote from: pinoymusika
Quote from: spilledmilk
my dad played "from the cradle" ni eric clapton sa car player. he said "dapat ganyan ka...yan ang magaling...". I remember by that time i was already able to improvise a little bit and i said to myself "ahhhh so ive been playing a bit of blues na pala" (ANG KAPAL KO NO???!!!)

Whew! Well I can say is you have a very hip dad to be laying that kind of music on his offspring. Hope you took that to heart. :)

From the Cradle was Clapton's tribute to the old blues greats. There's another album he did later on. Sessions for Robert J - which is a tribute to Robert Johnson. I think he tried to do all the Robert Johnson songs in this one. This came out in CD and DVD - the DVD was great, they tried to shoot in the same hotel/studio that Robert Johnson used to record those old songs (Crossroads, Ramblin', etc) The DVD is widely available around town as a dibidee if you catch my drift.

Gibson SG Standard Silverburst
Siochi Custom Lead GT 50 Watt Head
Matching 2x12 Cab with Vintage 30s