hulika

Author Topic: behringer ub802  (Read 3005 times)

Offline aperture

• Netizen Level
behringer ub802
« on: November 23, 2005, 12:12:33 AM »
im very new to this..  
I bought this last saturday.. electronics depot was having a sale..
from 4.7k then less 15% and got it for 3.9k..
i have some questions about this mixer.. are there really audible
hiss with this mixer? because i believe i can hear one while using
shure 16a condenser mic..  
have i made the right choice in buying this mixer? i could have gone
buying the samson mdr624 or the peavey pv8 instead..
how do i really confirm that this mixer really does produces a hiss...

or have i got a lemon UB802? :(

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
behringer ub802
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 12:33:42 AM »
if u bought it at electronics depot, i doubt that its a dud. best thing is you take it back there together with your mic and retest.  8)

Offline julianesmiles

• Philmusicus Noobitus
behringer ub802
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 11:22:26 AM »
hey where is this electronics depot?
freedom is just within you...........

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
behringer ub802
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 03:20:31 PM »
Your Shure 16A is a cardioid small diaphragm electret condenser that requires a 1.5V AA battery in order to function. The battery is used to keep the condenser backplate charged and as such, I don't think it requires phantom power in order to operate. According to Shure, the mic is a high output design and you should be have a substantial signal to noise ratio. Try checking and replacing the battery isn't on it's last legs already.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
behringer ub802
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 07:37:43 AM »
i have a shure 16LC i think. pencil type condenser that requires a 1.5V battery and it IS quite noisy. i usually have to use a denoiser on the track recorded with it. :)
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
behringer ub802
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 09:23:39 AM »
Quote from: starfugger
i have a shure 16LC i think. pencil type condenser that requires a 1.5V battery and it IS quite noisy. i usually have to use a denoiser on the track recorded with it. :)

that's strange. there are a lot of drum kit setups in clubs and home recording studios that use shure 16L as overhead mic. i also know some churches that use shure 16L as their choir mic. it works very well in all those applications. the shure 16L is an old model but very reliable and affordable condenser mic.

maybe your shure 16L needs to be serviced. please bring it to audiophile for inspection.
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
behringer ub802
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 11:05:27 AM »
Quote from: starfugger

I'd go easy on the denoiser 'coz it usually has a detrimental effect on the sound unless used judiciously and in stages.

If the Shure is noisy, first thing I would look at is the gain structuring of the audio path. Another source would also be impedance mismatching along the line.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline aperture

• Netizen Level
behringer ub802
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 02:44:50 AM »
Quote from: julianesmiles
hey where is this electronics depot?

I bought it here in Festival Mall Alabang...    

how do I can i really test if the mixer does really  produce a hiss..
I did some testing with no mic connected with headphones connected...
Volume level for all channels set to the lowest, headphone level at 80% and main volume level at max..  level of the 1st channel to the center and gain level is at the lowest. i can hear some hiss from my headphone..

this is my first mixer.. and i really cant conclude if this is just normal...  
thanks in advanced..

Offline YJMCowboy

behringer ub802
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 12:51:48 AM »
I have a UB1202.

It seems the headphone amp is the one producing the hiss.
This is not the path to the recording out or simply outs.
I tried it on my computer speakers and the UB mixer is silent enough.
It's almost dead silent, just dont crank the faders to high.
I dont think they would call them IMP pre amps for nothing,
nor would Uli Behringer use his initials if these things where
total crap. The noise on the headphones is a trade off,
but hey, it's just for listening. I've tried recording from the XLR's
which are balanced and it's almost dead silent. I have yet to try the line ins. They're a bit noisier I think.
Pumping music, sex and iron...