hulika

Author Topic: Ordering my first GFS pups  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
Ordering my first GFS pups
« on: December 28, 2006, 05:03:47 AM »
Im in the process of ordering my first set (bridge and neck) of GFS pups. I have done my share of research on these, i just wana know your opinion on the ff items.

Here are my choices:

GFS Crunchy PAF

GFS Fat PAF

GFS Dream 90

I play riffy rock/alternative. Im gonna be installing 'em on my Yamaha SG.

Btw, if you guys need something at guitarfetish baka pwde isama. Small objects lang ah, like knobs and switches and stuff like that.

Thanks!

Offline Avayaman

Re: Ordering my first GFS pups
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 06:15:42 AM »
you got pm! thanks!

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 08:08:29 AM »
Im in the process of ordering my first set (bridge and neck) of GFS pups. I have done my share of research on these, i just wana know your opinion on the ff items.

Here are my choices:

GFS Crunchy PAF

GFS Fat PAF

GFS Dream 90

I play riffy rock/alternative. Im gonna be installing 'em on my Yamaha SG.

Btw, if you guys need something at guitarfetish baka pwde isama. Small objects lang ah, like knobs and switches and stuff like that.

Thanks!

Any of those would be good for what you play.  Personally, I would go with the dream 90's though.

GFS are awesome pickups.  Lots of people say they are better than EMG, Dimarrzio or Duncan.  I had a strat that I gave my son that had the Premium Texas Alnico single coils on it in the mid and neck and the hot overwound PAF humbucker at the bridge.  Those things rocked and I compare them with the Evolution for the humbucker and the texas specials for the single coils.  The humbucker is about the same as the evo tone and output wise for about 1/3 of the money.  The Premium Texas single coils just flat out put the Fender Texas Specials to shame - again at about 1/3 of the price.

They are simply the best bang for the buck in my opinion and have a tone that shames many of the other pups out there.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 08:09:51 AM by ussfdoc »
Be well,

"Doc Rick"  Even when life is a bed or roses, there are still those damn thorns!!

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 12:15:53 PM »
Yea im also leaning towards the Dream 90s. I might get 2 sets, a set of Dream 90s and a set of the zebra pafs. Doc Ric, have you personally tried the Dream 90s?

FYI: To those who want to order, I will only charge you whatever's stated on guitarfetish. Catch is i cannot commit, it all depends on how much cash and how much baggage space my father has left. I'll place the order hopefully this week, i'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 12:18:56 PM »
Yea im also leaning towards the Dream 90s. I might get 2 sets, a set of Dream 90s and a set of the zebra pafs. Doc Ric, have you personally tried the Dream 90s?
Thanks

The dream 90's sound great for rock and blues.  I tried them out on a friend's les paul an plan on putting them in this rj prs copy I have.
Be well,

"Doc Rick"  Even when life is a bed or roses, there are still those damn thorns!!

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 12:24:32 PM »
Do you think the Dream 90s can handle heavy distortion well? Im kinda goin for the Mark Tremonti tone.

Offline Shekoski

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 12:31:25 PM »
That's funny because I'm getting a Crunchy PAF and Fat PAF too. Bridge and neck respectively.

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 12:32:44 PM »
Cool! When are you getting 'em?

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 12:45:12 PM »
nate,may PM ka.

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 12:51:36 PM »
Do you think the Dream 90s can handle heavy distortion well? Im kinda goin for the Mark Tremonti tone.

Well, think "Can you take me Higher".

Tremonti used a PRS with P-90's for that song.

The dream 90's have a tone in between a single coil and a humbucker.  A "Fat" single coil sound.  I think they work very well with heavy distortion, most of that heavy sound comes from amp adjustments and pedals anyway.  Tom Moreno puts out some very heavy metal sounds and almost always uses single coils.

If you have ever heard of Steve Earle, check out some of his rock riffs.  He always uses P-90's and they are quite dark and heavy.
Be well,

Offline Shekoski

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 01:06:02 PM »
Someone might be able to tag along with it on the 16th from the US.

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 01:10:58 PM »
Thanks for all your help Doc Ric. Dream 90s it is. :)

No ive never heard of Steve Earle, i'll do a search on him and listen to what his P90 can do.

Thanks.

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 01:20:57 PM »
i got the FAT PAF. sold it after a month and got myself pearly gates. Like what it said, its FAT. very growly and boomy. not for me nor my LP. 
lesson learned. dont go for PUPs (specially when its patternd from PAFs) with dc 9 and above. just my experience and my opinion.  8-)
might be perfect for most  8-)

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 01:23:56 PM »
Growly and boomy, is this the same as muddy?

May i know what kinda music you play?

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 01:37:04 PM »
i play some of some, little of blues and jazz (just starting to learn).

growly and boomy may be muddy to some and a feature to some. it works great for those fusion, heavy rock leaning to metal. dont expect it to be great for blues.

i paired it with a bluesbucker on the neck (p90 emulate from DM) and it balances well when both are on. but it just doesnt match with the bluesbucker. the FAT PAF's too ballsy for me. because what im looking for a bridge pickup  is something that will open up that position. ergo, sold it and change it. the guy who bought it here is really satisifed so again it really depends.

but the zebra looks great though  :-D

i thought of ordering a pair of dream 90s. but they dont seem to have it in cream. im looking for cream to match my goldtop's pickguard and rings.. :-(

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 01:42:00 PM »
I see. Maybe its just really not for jazz and blues. May i know who you sold it to? Maybe i can ask his opinion.

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 01:53:53 PM »
ofcourse never for jazz. i play a different ax for that. but if im lazy and with the LP, i stay with the neck for jazz.

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,32690.0.html

funny, i forgot to ask his handle. but i have his number though

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 01:55:46 PM »
Can you please pm me his number?

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2006, 02:18:17 PM »
Speaking of P90s, i used to own a P90 equipped Ibanez Talman. I recorded a few soundclips of it running thru a Zoom G2 straight to pc.

Doc Ric, does the Dream 90 sound close to soundclips?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 02:20:58 PM by Machine_Head »

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2006, 03:17:27 PM »
Speaking of P90s, i used to own a P90 equipped Ibanez Talman. I recorded a few soundclips of it running thru a Zoom G2 straight to pc.

Doc Ric, does the Dream 90 sound close to soundclips?

Pretty close.  The ones I heard were a little brighter than that but it is probably because it was on an LP.  A Talman is a hollow body right?
Be well,

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2006, 03:20:10 PM »
The Talman that i have is made of resoncast. I believe that's another term for MDF.