hulika

Author Topic: ZT AMPS USERS THREAD  (Read 121249 times)

Offline mrslow96

• Forum Fanatic
Re: ZT AMPS USERS THREAD
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2010, 02:44:08 PM »
Now you gave me confidence to buy Club.
through turi?

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2010, 02:45:55 PM »
here's my short review of my ZT Lunchbox Acoustic.

finally got my ZT Lunchbox Acoustic amp today through turi (thanks man!).  

AESTHETICS:
you really have to love ZT's job with the amp enclosure and the grille cloth.  instant acoustic vibes.  it has softer features compared to the Lunchbox or the Club, with the "woody" amp enclosure that even shows grains and the brown grille cloth covering the 6.5" speaker.  it will really warm up any acoustic player just by looking at it.  here are some pics:

FEATURES:
i will just highlight the key features of this amp since they are available on the website anyway.  
http://www.ztamplifiers.com/products/lunchbox_acoustic.html

this little amp is 200-watts with 2 channels, one for instrument and one for mic.  each channel has dedicated controls for Gain, Bass, Treble and Reverb, and it also has a master Volume knob.  instrument input is on top of the amp with unbalanced input.  mic input is behind with options for balanced (XLR) or unbalanced input.  it also has an effects loop which is perfect if you want to add some modulations.  it also has a speaker input to allow the amp to be used with a much larger speaker cab for added power.

CONTROLS:
the controls are extremely interactive.  the Gain and Master Volume knobs need to be tweaked to achieve the optimal tone you want.  turn up the Gain too much and the acoustic tone will become a little fuzzy.  the Bass and Treble knobs are enough to dial-in an appropriate EQ for the guitar.  Reverb quality is very good as it adds just enough color to the acoustic tone.  

TONE:
here's the juicy part.  the Lunchbox Acoustic's tone is very dependent on your basic guitar tone.  if your guitar is naturally bright, then the amp will project a bright guitar.  same is true with a more full-sounding guitar.  but the Bass and Treble controls will definitely help even out the tone to fit your taste.  contrary to the common belief that small amps lack low-end, this amp has a tight low-end and retains sparkly highs.

the Reverb is subtle and adds just enough ambiance so that the tone will not be too dry.  it doesn't sound digital at all.  dedicated reverb controls for instrument and vocals adds more versatility in the acoustic player's tone.  if you want more, then you can add a reverb or delay pedal in the effects loop.  

volume.  yes.  this little baby can be as loud as it can be.  it can increase volume without being muddy or fuzzy AS LONG AS you can dial in a good balance between Gain, amp Master Volume and your guitar's volume.  

USE:
personally, this amp suits my needs perfectly.  this amp is well suited for home practice but it can hold its own in indoor bars and coffee shop-like venues.  when i go to bar gigs or events, i just bring my DI/preamp and plug directly to the mixer hence i do not need a big acoustic amp.

MORE PRON:

PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline stonelake

« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2010, 02:51:11 PM »

AESTHETICS:
you really have to love ZT's job with the amp enclosure and the grille cloth.  instant acoustic vibes.  it has softer features compared to the Lunchbox or the Club, with the "woody" amp enclosure that even shows grains and the brown grille cloth covering the 6.5" speaker.  it will really warm up any acoustic player just by looking at it.  here are some pics:

FEATURES:
i will just highlight the key features of this amp since they are available on the website anyway.  

this little amp is 200-watts with 2 channels, one for instrument and one for mic.  each channel has dedicated controls for Gain, Bass, Treble and Reverb, and it also has a master Volume knob.  instrument input is on top of the amp with unbalanced input.  mic input is behind with options for balanced (XLR) or unbalanced input.  it also has an effects loop which is perfect if you want to add some modulations.  it also has a speaker input to allow the amp to be used with a much larger speaker cab for added power.

CONTROLS:
the controls are extremely interactive.  the Gain and Master Volume knobs need to be tweaked to achieve the optimal tone you want.  turn up the Gain too much and the acoustic tone will become a little fuzzy.  the Bass and Treble knobs are enough to dial-in an appropriate EQ for the guitar.  Reverb quality is very good as it adds just enough color to the acoustic tone.  

TONE:
here's the juicy part.  the Lunchbox Acoustic's tone is very dependent on your basic guitar tone.  if your guitar is naturally bright, then the amp will project a bright guitar.  same is true with a more full-sounding guitar.  but the Bass and Treble controls will definitely help even out the tone to fit your taste.  contrary to the common belief that small amps lack low-end, this amp has a tight low-end and retains sparkly highs.

the Reverb is subtle and adds just enough ambiance so that the tone will not be too dry.  it doesn't sound digital at all.  dedicated reverb controls for instrument and vocals adds more versatility in the acoustic player's tone.  if you want more, then you can add a reverb or delay pedal in the effects loop.  

volume.  yes.  this little baby can be as loud as it can be.  it can increase volume without being muddy or fuzzy AS LONG AS you can dial in a good balance between Gain, amp Master Volume and your guitar's volume.  

USE:
personally, this amp suits my needs perfectly.  this amp is well suited for home practice but it can hold its own in indoor bars and coffee shop-like venues.  when i go to bar gigs or events, i just bring my DI/preamp and plug directly to the mixer hence i do not need a big acoustic amp.

MORE PRON:

Ill back you up on this one maxi_musikero.

Heres a clip i have made, with just a normal videocam.

feature=related

Enjoi!

Thanks alot

StoneLake

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2010, 02:59:27 PM »
Ill back you up on this one maxi_musikero.

Heres a clip i have made, with just a normal videocam.

feature=related

Enjoi!

Thanks alot

StoneLake

thanks bro!  i'm going to make a demo of this myself sometime soon.  i'll also share it in this thread.  :-)

Offline stonelake

« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
Right on!

Ok, time for another shameless plug.

We will be having Demo/Test tomorrow(July 1 2010) from 6pm onwards CLub Dredd Eastwood.

ZT Amplifiers Lunchbox, Lunchbox acoustic, and ZT CLUB12

Radix Guitars

VintageFX

Option5 Destination Pedals.

Please tell all your friends.

Thanks!

Offline masterchoxter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2010, 03:33:30 PM »
nice review maxi!  8-)
[

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2010, 09:58:46 PM »

AESTHETICS:

FEATURES:

CONTROLS:

TONE:

USE:

MORE PRON:

Love it.
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #107 on: July 01, 2010, 12:37:16 PM »
nice maxi..

hindi mo na kailangan mag dala ng DI sa gig, you can use the Headphone out as per ZT website. (DI out din yun).
although i'm not sure if gagana pa rin yung speaker, walang block diagram sa manual eh para makita.
try mo..

I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2010, 12:40:30 PM »
nice maxi..

hindi mo na kailangan mag dala ng DI sa gig, you can use the Headphone out as per ZT website. (DI out din yun).
although i'm not sure if gagana pa rin yung speaker, walang block diagram sa manual eh para makita.
try mo..

thanks!  if ever makapunta ako sa tone party, dalhin ko ito.  :-D

ah mas gusto ko pa rin ang direct ako sa house sound system through the DI tapos timpla na lang sa mixer.  tsaka unbalanced pa rin yung output ng lunchbox acoustic, kaya hindi din maganda for the acoustic signal. 

so kung dadalhin ko ito, it means walang sound system sa venue.  stand alone ko gagamitin ito.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
Nice, Maxi. Personally, I would try to use this as monitor and  feed a signal to the board for PA. What if you used your DI box in between this and the board just to interconnect unbalanced and balanced?  Kung walang PA, of course, not a bad choice at all.

Did ZT say if it's an FRFR system? If so, the modeler guys should seriously look at this amp.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2010, 01:36:09 PM »
Nice, Maxi. Personally, I would try to use this as monitor and  feed a signal to the board for PA. What if you used your DI box in between this and the board just to interconnect unbalanced and balanced?  Kung walang PA, of course, not a bad choice at all.

thanks!  ok...i have a lot more inputs than my review above that i find difficult to put into words.  i think i will be able to discuss better when the group meets personally.  i still prefer direct to PA and their monitor speakers.

Did ZT say if it's an FRFR system? If so, the modeler guys should seriously look at this amp.

sorry, what's FRFR?  :-D

Offline jefisipbata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2010, 01:47:41 PM »
^^  i think it's Full Range Flat Response

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2010, 02:11:53 PM »
@deltaslim..

hindi full range ito...checked the technical data, its within the range of 10Hz-10kHz.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #113 on: July 01, 2010, 02:14:10 PM »
^^  i think it's Full Range Flat Response

thanks Jeff!  :-D

@deltaslim..

hindi full range ito...checked the technical data, its within the range of 10Hz-10kHz.

ano ba ibig sabihin ng full range?

Offline jefisipbata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2010, 02:22:22 PM »
^^ frequency response is 0 - 20KHz (eto yung range ng audible frequency)

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #115 on: July 01, 2010, 02:28:55 PM »
normally ang mga speakers may mga certain frequencies lang ang nailalabas nya, kaya paminsan may mga loudspeakers na 3-way or 4 way. (eg. may 3 cones to cover hi-mid-low freq)..pero mayroon din mga speakers na kahit isa lang sya, kaya nya from 20Hz - 20kHz frequency range.

with your ZT, according to the specs, nasa 10 Hz - 10Khz lang. meaning nasa midrange-high ang tonal characteristics ng lunchbox mo.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 02:35:41 PM by dantuts »

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #116 on: July 01, 2010, 02:39:45 PM »
normally ang mga speakers may mga certain frequencies lang ang nailalabas nya, kaya paminsan may mga loudspeakers na 3-way or 4 way. (eg. may 3 cones to cover hi-mid-low freq)..pero mayroon din mga speakers na kahit isa lang sya, kaya nya from 20Hz - 20kHz frequency range.

with your ZT, according to the specs, nasa 10 Hz - 10Khz lang. meaning nasa midrange-high ang tonal characteristics ng lunchbox mo.

ah ok...thanks!  kaya siguro bass and treble lang ang EQ knobs niya para ma-adjust din yung low and high frequencies.   :-D

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2010, 03:08:50 PM »
slight addendum to my review above:

i also have some CONS on the ZT Acoustic.  but these are mostly due to the amp's inherent limitations (i.e., speaker size).  given this, reasonable expectations should be put in place. 

currently i'm working on them to see if there are workarounds (i.e., tweaking, etc.).  i'm going to share these cons when i have identified all possible workarounds.

PS - to my acoustic brothers, i can share these to you personally when we have our tone party.  after all, four or more ears are always better than two.  :-D

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #118 on: July 01, 2010, 03:16:12 PM »
slight addendum to my review above:
i also have some CONS on the ZT Acoustic.  but these are mostly due to the amp's inherent limitations (i.e., speaker size).  given this, reasonable expectations should be put in place. 

currently i'm working on them to see if there are workarounds (i.e., tweaking, etc.).  i'm going to share these cons when i have identified all possible workarounds.

hindi ko makita yung CONS.. by the way, lunchbox continuous power is at 120W RMS. yan ang tunay nyang power. yung 200watt advertised power is actually peak. Malakas parin for a small amp !!

tamang tama, we can test the harana guitars with this baby !!

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2010, 03:36:34 PM »

For such a small speaker, 10Hz is impressive. But 10 kHz seems bitin?  

Maxi - How is the sibilance/brilliance/sparkle?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 03:44:08 PM by deltaslim »

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2010, 03:46:06 PM »
10Hz is impressive but 10 kHz seems bitin? 

Maxi - How is the sibilance/brilliance/sparkle?

by sparkle, i take it you mean the highs? 

i think the sparkle/brilliance is very dependent on the natural tone of the guitar.  but the ZT's EQ knobs really help in achieving the sparkle you want.  the Bass knob can also affect the "Low Mid" frequencies and the Treble knob also affects "High Mid". 

however, based on what i've heard from the amp, it will really help to have a dedicated Mid knob.  but again, this is just me.  :-)

Offline gijira

« Reply #121 on: July 02, 2010, 11:34:51 PM »
congrats max, i was considering then to get the roland cm 30 monitor. almost the same size but with 30 watt rms power. i already tested it and was quite satisfied. but when this got out, darn, i have to rethink again. its double the price but its quadruple the power.. seems like a good deal, ijust have to listen to that on our tone party.

btw, for that size 10-10khz is pretty impressive, tho i believe it has only one full range driver vs cm 30 monitor's 2 way coaxial driver. ano ba ito, gastos! :cry:
"eat with gusto!
  love passionately!
    play your guitar more!"

Offline Roller_Caster

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #122 on: July 03, 2010, 02:56:30 PM »
Any reviews about the ZT Club?

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #123 on: July 03, 2010, 05:43:38 PM »
Any reviews about the ZT Club?

still no complains on my Club 12, arguably my overall best amp ever! and I have had quite a bunch of amps already(just for reference here they are)
-Fender Champion 110
-Fender Blues Jr.
-Fender Blues Deluxe
-Fender Dual Showman Reverb SF
-Fender Twin Reverb SF
-Fender Red Knob "The Twin"
-Carvin X100B
-Peavey Classic 30 and Classic 20
-Vox Night Train
-this small 5W Teisco Tube Amp
I may have forgotten a few but that's pretty much all of them.

the Club 12 wins because
-it's almost as loud as my previous 100W tube amps
-sounds fairly good for my use, actually it can cover most genres if you use pedals (it reacts like a Fender tube amp in terms of pedal friendliness, it's like a clean canvas that you can paint whatever color you like, it isn't as bright as the fenders though)
-it doesn't break my back when I lug it around for gigs and jams (even much more portable than the night train head!)
-it didn't break my wallet that much
-it looks really road-worthy I still haven't experienced any problems with it.

this is really, REALLY a great amp for performing musicians who prefer to bring their own amps and don't have roadies and uses pedals instead of amp drive and other effects or modeling.  :-D

thanks ZT and thanks to sir Bryant (stonelake) for giving me a chance to own one. :-D

Offline Roller_Caster

• Forum Fanatic