hulika

Author Topic: Why I hate artist endorsed Major Brands?  (Read 53702 times)

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Why I hate artist endorsed Major Brands?
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2007, 07:18:00 PM »
Lahed,

There are some gear that excel in what they do that no one can deny.  And there are properties in common across great sounding equipment that people will notice across all genres.  My point with eddie and the rest is that they don't endorse the best there is on the field because the best cannot afford to pay them to endorse.     

yeah! what i was saying hahaha  :-D

also bwiset si dave mustaine for going to line 6 amps hahah (i love dave, but come ON! ano ba yan)

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2007, 07:18:35 PM »
Nung nasa Rivermaya pa si Sir Perf akala ko may endorsement siya sa Ibanez.  :-)

Do we have local guitar players with endorsements from Ibanez or any known brand? AFAIK merong mga artist sa ibang Asian countries na nageendorese ng Ibanez eh, bakit dito sa atin wala?
ikaw dati diba? before you switched to washburn?

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2007, 07:46:32 PM »
he's back. cooooool.
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2007, 08:25:47 PM »
Nung nasa Rivermaya pa si Sir Perf akala ko may endorsement siya sa Ibanez.  :-)

Do we have local guitar players with endorsements from Ibanez or any known brand? AFAIK merong mga artist sa ibang Asian countries na nageendorese ng Ibanez eh, bakit dito sa atin wala?
ikaw dati diba? before you switched to washburn?

:lol: i wish.
nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2007, 08:47:04 PM »
Chad Robles has an Ibanez endorsement in the making.  I love his J Custom.  Not your typical Ibanez.

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2007, 08:49:27 PM »
Chad Robles has an Ibanez endorsement in the making.  I love his J Custom.  Not your typical Ibanez.

cool! j custom ibanez is way much better than ibanez jems.
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2007, 08:54:07 PM »
lahat ng Jcustom nakita ko puro rg type...wla bang SA type? or S type?

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2007, 09:15:07 PM »
ooohhhhh.....

so where's JC_Shredder?
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2007, 09:48:41 PM »
Whoah....

Biglang humaba ang thread na ito...

PRSman,

1) Actually, though I tolerated artist endorsements, the successive Guitar World features on EVH's amp and Steve Vai actually using a Fender got me pissed.  Because I don't think its fair that other people will feel some doubt about what was sold to them previously.  Whats more, I feel that there are better manufacturers out there who make better stuff.  There is just a lack of transparency and sincerity in a lot of today's music and though I know its really about making money for a majority, it just does not feel right.  

2) I have been a victim of artist endorsement, I used to have an Ibanez PGM MIJ, Ibanez Reb Beach with Brazilian Rosewood MIJ, Ibanez Jem 7 VWH MIJ, ESP George Lynch around 3 of them, Washburn N4 Nuno Bettencourt Padauk.  I had them all at the same time but was beat by a no-name cheap Japanese Les Paul knock-off.  The only signature thingy I have left today is a George Lynch Time Machine Boost pedal.   So, technically I dont go for the signature stuff today.  However, I still try signature stuff and most of them are disappointing.  

3) On Baker#55, it gets better every day.  I am speechless. I have to say that this guitar will beat 99.9% of electric guitars out there.  Nothing ABed against it has beaten it at least to my ears.  Its really that good.  So good that I am now in the process of buying my 2nd baker in less than 2 months.   DISCLAIMER: the statements are extremely reflective of my bias and sense of hyperbole.    

On 1 -- Agree, especially on the point about there's better stuff out there.  When I check out new builders and see who's using their products, it's refreshing to see players who are not big-named but still superstars in their own right.

On 2 -- I've actually never tried an artist model.  I've never idolized any player's tone so much that I'd feel the urge to use exactly what he uses.  The closest I got to getting an artist model was the Eric Johnson model, primarily because I was gassing for a Strat and thought that the EJ model might be the way to go.  Didn't get it in the end.

On 3 -- The B3s are beautiful guitars.  Gene had a one-off semi-hollow Baker for sale on ebay/TGP just last week.  It was a guitar he started during the "first generation", stopped when he went bankrupt, and then finished off this year.  According to him, it followed an older semi-hollow design with modifications based on the B3.  It sold at a darn good price in my opinion.  I was so tempted to bid on that Baker, but I just got a JG Bluesmaster so had to restrain myself.  Are you thinking of another Fire or some other model?

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2007, 10:32:02 PM »
2) I have been a victim of artist endorsement, I used to have an Ibanez PGM MIJ, Ibanez Reb Beach with Brazilian Rosewood MIJ, Ibanez Jem 7 VWH MIJ, ESP George Lynch around 3 of them, Washburn N4 Nuno Bettencourt Padauk.  I had them all at the same time but was beat by a no-name cheap Japanese Les Paul knock-off.  The only signature thingy I have left today is a George Lynch Time Machine Boost pedal.   So, technically I dont go for the signature stuff today.  However, I still try signature stuff and most of them are disappointing.     

It seems like you are comparing bolt-on signature guitars to a set-in neck no name gibson copy. Maybe you should have tried comparing your les paul copy with a real les paul since a gibson les paul is a signature guitar also.

or a prs tremonti signature model
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 10:33:32 PM by randymarsh »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2007, 10:55:45 PM »
PRSman,

Congrats on the JG.  How does it compare to Baker?

I am planning to get an Earth Model this time around.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2007, 11:02:21 PM »
Randy,

The Japanese Les Paul knock off killed my genuine 1976 Gibson Custom and continues to kill other Historics today.  If you reach my level of experience where I had to sell off my USA made Gibson because a much cheaper Japanese Les Paul knock off really made it a useless instrument, you will then understand that CONSTRUCTION is not the only factor that you can single out as the reason for a good sounding guitar.  I used to have bolt-ons that will kill my set neck guitars and other bolt-ons.

I have tried 3 USA Tremontis in my life and they suck...  I really really wished they sounded good but the three I tried sounded so ordinary.  I even got to try a pre-gibson Ban tremonti with that spider design.

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2007, 11:11:30 PM »
PRSman,

Congrats on the JG.  How does it compare to Baker?

I am planning to get an Earth Model this time around.

I haven't tested the two thoroughly, but I think that the B3 Fire will turn out to be the more versatile guitar.  That's just my initial observation after playing both for like ten minutes before I had to go back to kid duties.  The Bluesmaster's got this really good bluesy tone straight up, as well as a very clear and crisp clean tone.

I've got Wolfetones on both though, and am considering replacing what's on the B3.  But I'm concerned about messing with it so I might just leave it alone.

The Earth model intrigues me.  The XS too.  But it will probably be a looong time before I buy anything again.  I've already reached my gear spending cap, and am letting go of a lot of stuff right now.

Is the Earth on its way to you?  Or does Cliff still have it in the works?

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2007, 12:40:38 AM »
If you reach my level of experience where I had to sell off my USA made Gibson ....

wow hangin  :-D ok so now you are saying gibson is useless.

van13

« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2007, 01:06:08 AM »
If you reach my level of experience where I had to sell off my USA made Gibson ....

which one is useless? :-D

yun guitar ba? i doubt it... :-D

Offline strummer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2007, 01:06:43 AM »

uy firestarter. i dont think he meant that. back to the topic bros..
strum away!

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2007, 01:23:41 AM »

uy firestarter. i dont think he meant that. back to the topic bros..

see the smiling face in my post. i don't want to start any word war dude.  :-D

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2007, 01:49:40 AM »
Kaya pala may revamp, di namin namalayan BINALIK KA NA SA MATRIX.... :oops:
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2007, 05:09:40 AM »
PRSman,

Earth#41 is on reserve for me as soon as I complete the transactions...  Its the one on the Destroy all Guitars website now.  The All Korina Body with Braz Fingerboard and 3 Lollar P90s.  Cliff strongly felt that I get this one to complement my #55.  For Cliff, both #41 and #55 are considered special guitars.

What gets more playing time now,  your Baker or your PRS?

Heh Heh.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2007, 05:19:38 AM »
Randy,

I guess a USA Gibson remains useful until your next good or better sounding guitar.  In my case, my Gibson USA got useless fast.  Up to this date, I have not yet heard or found a killer sounding US Gibson.  The most disappointing trip for me was to test around 12 Gibson Historics and Signatures straight in one day in Tom Lee Hong Kong and conclude than none of them sounded good. The sales concurred. As I said, a white ESP Alex Laiho killed the Gibsons.  Again The salesman concurred and we were playing on clean.    That included a Slash and Zakk Wylde Bulls Eye that I so much wanted to love. 

I suggest that you take some time to call Ken Volpe of Ultrasound and ask how their real Gibson 59 Burst sounds like and compares to other newer guitars.  They never were so excited about it.  Now, we all know that only a few vintage Gibsons specially Bursts sound good.  If the US guys with experience can say that, why do you find it hard to accept to reconcile that there is a large chance that a Gibson may sound bad?

Peace

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2007, 05:49:46 AM »
PRSman,

Earth#41 is on reserve for me as soon as I complete the transactions...  Its the one on the Destroy all Guitars website now.  The All Korina Body with Braz Fingerboard and 3 Lollar P90s.  Cliff strongly felt that I get this one to complement my #55.  For Cliff, both #41 and #55 are considered special guitars.

What gets more playing time now,  your Baker or your PRS?

Heh Heh.

Cliff is amazing.  Considering he's sick and all, he still works very hard.

Which gets more playing time?  No brainer...

... my Lumanogs!   :-D   :-D   :-D

I'm actually going to just keep one PRS moving forward -- my 1990 custom 24.  Reached my spending cap on gear so I've got to let stuff go.  The B3 and Bluesmaster are definitely better guitars than my McCarty and other custom 24... but then again, the B3 and Bluesmaster cost much more.  I still prefer PRS though over Fender or Gibson (duck!).

So I'll now be known as "The Artist Formerly Known as PRSMan"...  :-D

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2007, 06:37:59 AM »
Randy,

I guess a USA Gibson remains useful until your next good or better sounding guitar.  In my case, my Gibson USA got useless fast.  Up to this date, I have not yet heard or found a killer sounding US Gibson.  The most disappointing trip for me was to test around 12 Gibson Historics and Signatures straight in one day in Tom Lee Hong Kong and conclude than none of them sounded good. The sales concurred. As I said, a white ESP Alex Laiho killed the Gibsons.  Again The salesman concurred and we were playing on clean.    That included a Slash and Zakk Wylde Bulls Eye that I so much wanted to love. 

I suggest that you take some time to call Ken Volpe of Ultrasound and ask how their real Gibson 59 Burst sounds like and compares to other newer guitars.  They never were so excited about it.  Now, we all know that only a few vintage Gibsons specially Bursts sound good.  If the US guys with experience can say that, why do you find it hard to accept to reconcile that there is a large chance that a Gibson may sound bad?

Peace

ok dude. that's a good call.

kudos!

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #97 on: August 08, 2007, 07:25:45 AM »
Randy,

Peace
i've had a similar experience. pero it was a mix of 5 or 6 les pauls (iba ibang brand) and 3 or 4 PRS guitars (di ko alam kung anong models). they all sounded crappy to me kasi none of them sounded like a tele. :lol: :lol: :lol:

... So I'll now be known as "The Artist Formerly Known as PRSMan"...  :-D
TAFKAP din ang acronym. taken na yun. :lol:

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2007, 07:36:45 AM »
Randy,

Peace

WOOHOO! Ultrasound new york hahha! BEST rehearsal studio there, IMO. Every studio may matchless amp  :-D

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2007, 08:49:21 AM »
its all about the money...come on'

business is business

its not about,
"this is good folks" or "this is bad fans"

its about,
"ill endorse this, how much do i get?"

after all, they've establish their names...all they need to do now is use it!
There is no tone. There is only music.