hulika

Author Topic: 1960's Rock Roots  (Read 11979 times)

Offline dariusbabylon

• Forum Fanatic
1960's Rock Roots
« on: December 21, 2010, 07:23:32 AM »
In the spirit of the Beatles thread
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,130073.875.html

Post away

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: 1960's Rock Roots
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 08:33:39 AM »
If people ask me what are my musical roots, I say that the music of the '50s, '60s, '70s and classic rock and soul. You could never go wrong with that for me. I grew up in the '80s were Punk, New Wave were all the rage in my side of town they were my "coming of age" music.

That being said, the music of the '60s still affects my outlook as a professional musician. With all the Justin Biebers, Lady Gagas, Bruno Marz, Rihanna dominating the charts, you start to wonder - the records of today sounds so processed, with only chords less than the blues, all artificial sounds. Synthesizers were still in its infancy in the '60s and are very very unreliable, sequencers were alien to them so the music you hear on those '60s records are done by real musicians.

The '60s was an era that the artists demand that they themselves write and record their own original compositions. That was unheard of in the '50s (until a certain Paul Anka came with "Diana") were all the singers were branded as "vocal stylists" or "interpreters" only. The '60s changed that, with brilliant composers like Bob Dylan, Lennon-McCartney, Jagger-Richards, everything demands a high standard of musicianship, musicality, arrangement. Besides of course you have to be excellent live performers.

Here are the artists of the '60s that shaped my musical roots:
1. The Beatles
2. Herman's Hermits
3. John Smith And The New Sound
4. Petula Clark (I finally got her autograph on one of her albums in 2008!)
5. The Zombies
6. The Ventures
7. The Shadows
8. The Jimi Hendrix Experience
9. Gary Puckett and the Union Gap ('60s white soul like the Righteous Brothers)
10.The Temptations
11.The Monkees
12.The Dave Clark Five (but lately, I've been getting bad news about them especially Dave Clark being a douchebag for refusing to release the recordings)
13.The Bee Gees (before those malaria falsettos, hehehehehe, they wrote some very melodic pop music mixed with baroque influenced strings)
14.The Outsiders
15.The Turtles
16.The Hollies
17.Peter And Gordon
18.The Association
19.The Beach Boys
20.The Wonders (! Ha! para lang mapuno yung 20! Hehehehehe)

I hope we can stage a sequel to the Beatles event last Sunday. This would take things to a higher level, slowly but surely more musical dreams will be fulfilled.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline dariusbabylon

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 02:02:56 PM »
For me, 60's music was initially about checking out the Beatles' competition, so to speak. I was initially more attracted to the raunchier, dirtier sounds (Stones, the Doors, the Kinks, some Hendrix, the Byrds). But of course, it's hard to resist the more melodic ones from the Hollies, The turtles, monkees and zombies. "Bus Stop" would not be out of place, in say, "Beatles for Sale" or "With The Beatles".

I got into listening to prog rock in the 90s and discovered early Genesis and Yes (1968 to 69).

And we can argue to death if Simon and Garfunkel is "rock" (this is the Pinoy rock thread after all), but they had some landmark stuff in the 60s (Sound of Silence went toe-to-toe with Paperback Writer at top of the Billboard charts in 66). And Paul Simon trumps most lyricists today (sample : Dangling Conversations).

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 03:09:03 PM »
My Musical influence are the music from The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Firefall, The Orleans, The Guess Who , Jim Croce, James Taylor, PPM, Graham Nash, Starland Vocal Band, America, Bread & Chicago.

hmmm 1970s na ata ang iba :wink:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 03:10:33 PM by slowhandpal »

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 09:06:28 PM »
My Musical influence are the music from The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Firefall, The Orleans, The Guess Who , Jim Croce, James Taylor, PPM, Graham Nash, Starland Vocal Band, America, Bread & Chicago.

hmmm 1970s na ata ang iba :wink:

Afraid so....
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline audio deft

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 10:49:25 PM »
i started really paying attention to music during the late 80's. but there was a time in the early 90's when dwkc would play beatles music for an hour (i think from 5am-6am). that's what got me interested to dug up more of the 60's. i discovered the stones, the doors, beach boys, hendrix, cream, etc. and now i've been digging motown..... the "rawness" of the sound of the 60's is really appealing

Online Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 12:23:35 AM »
i consider the '60s as my musical roots as well, even if i was born in the late '70s.  i wasn't even in school yet when my parents would expose me to the sounds from their times, particularly the beatles...there was a time na favorite station ko ang DZRJ 100.3, and every time i'd vacation in manila (baguio boy ako from grade 1 to 1st year HS) i'd always look forward to DZRJ...even if those were the times i'd discover the current musical trends of those times by myself, from glam rock, to grunge, to thrash metal...

i just wish there were more people my age or younger who truly enjoy listening to - and playing - music from the '60s.  tama si bryan, iba talaga ang music nung time na yun.  in america, there are bands like the young veins, who are led by two ex-members of panic at the disco, and tres bien, who finished 5th or 6th in the short-lived "next great american band" competition a few years back.  these guys are in their mid-20s yet they sound like bands from the mid-'60s.  in here, if you play such music, either you're in with the bloom brothers (correct me if i'm wrong but i haven't heard much positive feedback re: their attitudes) or you're old enough to be a grandpa.   the PBT All-Stars of beatles tribute fame are somewhere in between but that shouldn't be relevant anyway...oh well, nasa pilipinas tayo and age plays such a big part in so many things where it shouldn't, music included...

it is my hope that my side band would change such conventions...aside from the usual '60s stuff (beatles, stones, kinks, who,  zombies, yardbirds, hendrix, etc.) that i listen to and use as a guide for our compositions-to-be, i also listen to a lot of '60s garage rock.  anyone familiar with rhino's "nuggets" box sets?  the first one, focusing on US one-hit and no-hit wonder garage bands from the '60s, was compiled by lenny kaye, better known as patti smith's guitarist in the '70s.  without trying to be a dictator, i'm trying to get my slightly younger bandmates into these obscurities (as well as the above bands), though their own influences are very much welcome in the mix.  we also happen to be influenced by a lot of '90s britpop...

@rommel, good job for creating this thread!   :-D  and bryan, hopefully that sequel can happen sooner rather than later...kelangan ko lang ayusin ang mga priorities ko, such as brokensauce's album launch and a few other musical and non-musical commitments i may be having...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:27:58 AM by Endshiftresign! »
Drummer -- The Myopics (on indefinite hiatus) / Sole proprietor, er...procrastinator -- Mad Tito Management

rebelrhetoric

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 01:02:13 AM »
Mammas and Pappas, Chuck Berry, Ritchie Valens, Santo & Johnny, THE DOORS!!! haha
 i like the 50's to 60's sound really, though i really don't know much about it. (just starting to explore em)  :-)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:09:57 AM by rebelrhetoric »

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 10:19:53 AM »
Nuggets is a compilation album originally released in 1972 by Elektra records then reissued by Sire 4 years later. The full title of the double album is Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era, comprises of garage bands and psychedelic bands mostly releasing only singles that you can count with one hand with a finger or two amputated.

I like most of these tracks although I don't have that compilation (but I have the tracks on individual cds). My personal faves are "I Have Too Much To Dream Last Night" by The Electric Prunes, "Hey Joe" by The Leaves (covered by Jimi Hendrix Experience not long after) and most of all "Lies" by the Knickerbockers - this track reminds me so much of the Beatles.

Well I wish this next project can happen sooner or later as Enzo says....but nevertheless let's keep this on the official list of projects, ok?

Offline Mocho

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 11:33:25 AM »
The first time I heard "She's Not There" by The Zombies, nagka-goosebumps ako literally and (according to wikipedia or some article I've read before) this song was written way before "Yesterday". Alam ko lang kasi dati Beatles, but after hearing that song nag-search pa ko ng ibang 60s bands. Great era for music.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 04:03:26 PM by Mocho »

rebelrhetoric

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 03:42:29 PM »
The first time I heard "She's No There" by The Zombies, nagka-goosebumps ako literally and (according to wikipedia or some article I've read before) this song was written way before "Yesterday". Alam ko lang kasi dati Beatles, but after hearing that song nag-search pa ko ng ibang 60s bands. Great era for music.

yeah I like that song too. The Zombies pala yun. Thanks alam ko na ngayon. cheers!

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 04:16:48 PM »
My favorite songs by The Zombies  are I remember when I loved her, You make me feel good and The way I feel inside. But I only happened to discover them in the early 90s(what a shame  :-D). My younger days were always filled with songs from my favourite band and artists who played with them. I began to like Dylan because of his creative song writing, lyrics were just so clever!

rebelrhetoric

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 04:51:35 PM »
My favorite songs by The Zombies  are I remember when I loved her, You make me feel good and The way I feel inside. But I only happened to discover them in the early 90s(what a shame  :-D). My younger days were always filled with songs from my favourite band and artists who played with them. I began to like Dylan because of his creative song writing, lyrics were just so clever!

I used to hear songs from The Zombies around the mid 90's in some radio station. I don't remember the radio station as I was quite young to remember. They played it almost every sunday and I really enjoyed listening to it with my dad. Naging soundtrack na namin tuwing sunday yung She's Not There pagnagddrive sya. It's a shame I wasnt able to buy any of their stuff to really know them. Ngayon ko nalang ulet naeexplore thanks to this thread. Thanks to Mocho for stating The Zombies yung name ng band.. hehe.. hindi ko alam na sila pla yung artist na nagcompose nun.  cheers!

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 02:07:13 AM »
The Zombies were one of the COOLEST bands of the '60s - not only in the way they present themselves but in the sound! The cool sounding keyboards, vocals and drums they could have been a cool jazz band and got away with it. I have both of their official albums, you gotta check them out!

1. Colin Blunstone - Vocals
2. Rod Argent - Keyboards, Vocals, Harmonica
3. Chris White - Bass, Vocals
4. Hugh Grundy - Drums
5. Paul Atkinson (RIP) - Guitar, Vocals

Offline echo_ikaw

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 06:33:26 AM »
Mga sir, can i join you..love the 60's.. love all the bands that were enumerated... :-)
can i add/share:
 :-)
the Velvet Underground  

Can (my fav band :-))

feature=related

Pink floyd w/ syd barrett  
Jefferson Airplane
Buffalo Springfield
Janis Joplin
Roy Orbison(cant help it.,i like his songs)

the Who
the Kinks

Greatful Dead
JethroTull
Zappa

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 06:58:56 AM by echo_ikaw »

Offline dariusbabylon

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 08:42:49 AM »
One of my favorite tracks by The Doors

The first time I heard that song was as a sappy ballad, by errr...maybe Perry Como

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 09:50:09 AM »
For me, the sixties rock scene was a period of transition.  I think it was during these times that protest songs were a dime a dozen.  Ang dami niyan!  Though decades before and after the sixties had their share of protest songs, medyo it was in the 60s that these songs became more "staple" than fringe.  I guess there was a lot during that time that the folks then wanted to protest against:  the Vietnam War, conformity, etc., etc.  Transition-wise, music in the sixties was not the only one in transition.  Even sartorial trends were in flux.  Compare pictures of pre-65 and post 65 Beatles and you'll get what I mean.  I guess any rock star/act of the decade had a pre-65 and a post-65 persona.  If your image of Jimi was the Jimi of Woodstock/Isle of Wright, you'll find his clean-cut pics during his Isley Brothers back-up day as a throwback to say the least, and you could say the same for Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, and other rock stars who came about during the era.  I dunno what's it about the sixties but lately, I've been stocking up on music (CDs, vinyl, etc.) from the era:  Blood Sweat and Tears, The Guess Who, The Association, Jose Feliciano, The Rolling Stones, Spiral Starecase, etc.  I've been known to buy music way after their time, but somehow it's the 60s stuff that I still have to outgrow.  Funny thing is the sixties had come and gone way before my appreciation of music set in.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 10:25:01 AM »
The Zombies were one of the COOLEST bands of the '60s - not only in the way they present themselves but in the sound! The cool sounding keyboards, vocals and drums they could have been a cool jazz band and got away with it. I have both of their official albums, you gotta check them out!

4. Hugh Grundy - Drums

Colin Blunstone is one of Allan Parsons Project vocalist bro? I like his solo hit Miles away too

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 10:21:45 PM »
Colin Blunstone is one of Allan Parsons Project vocalist bro? I like his solo hit Miles away too

The Alan Parsons Project recording of "Old And Wise" has Colin Blunstone on vocals. The project also occasionally used the band Ambrosia as side men as the Project has no permanent members except Alan Parsons and Eric Woolfson.

Alan Parsons was one of the recording engineers on The Beatles "Let It Be" and "Abbey Road" albums. He was the one who did the audio recording of the rooftop set. Unfortunately never saw the actual performance. He was then only 20 years old.

Online Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 12:30:39 AM »

4. Hugh Grundy - Drums

"zombie heaven", the 4 CD box set is even better.   :-D  also includes their non-album tracks and many other rare/live recordings...plus both official albums. 

yun na lang ata kulang sa side band ko (the artists formerly known as the vast difference)...isang mala-rod argent na keyboardist...
Drummer -- The Myopics (on indefinite hiatus) / Sole proprietor, er...procrastinator -- Mad Tito Management

Offline dariusbabylon

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 08:14:36 AM »
My 1960's all-star rock band (Beatle members not included, and can't include the jazz musos like Tony Williams or Paul Chambers)

Bass - Bill Wyman
Keyboards - Rey Manzarek
Drums - Keith Moon
Guitar - Jimmy Page
Vocals - Jim Morrison

If Beatle members can be included, here's my all-star band
feature=related
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 08:22:19 AM by dariusbabylon »

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 09:48:06 AM »
My 1960's all-star rock band (Beatle members not included, and can't include the jazz musos like Tony Williams or Paul Chambers)

Bass - Bill Wyman
Keyboards - Rey Manzarek
Drums - Keith Moon
Guitar - Jimmy Page
Vocals - Jim Morrison

If Beatle members can be included, here's my all-star band
feature=related

mine will be

1. Mike Fleetwood- Drums
2. Klaus Voorman- Bass
3. Roy Orbison- Vocals
4. Gary Brooker- Keyboards
5. Stephen Stills- guitars

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2010, 11:37:35 AM »
Mine would be:
1. Janis Joplin, Aretha Franklin - Female Vocals
2. Tom Jones, Colin Blunstone - Male Vocals
3. James Jamerson, Sr. - Bass
4. Steve Cropper - Rhythm Guitar
5. Jimi Hendrix - Lead Guitar
6. Ringo Starr - Drums
7. Jimmy Smith - Hammond Organ
8. Rod Argent - Piano
9. Stan Getz - Saxophone
10. Chet Baker - Trumpet
11. James Pankow - Trombone

Ano kaya tunog nitong grupong ito?

Offline dariusbabylon

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 06:47:08 PM »
Ano kaya tunog nitong grupong ito?
Can be awesome, if somebody like George Martin or Gil Evans is directing or producing.

Kind of reminds of Sting's 2000 -2001 band, which had loads of musicians (all top notch); which had the potential to be all muddy but had a really clean sound
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0271804/

Here's another example, which IMHO, is epic fail
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_(Yes_album)

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2010, 07:22:51 PM »

commercial muna :wink:

CDs for php99.00 only,Astrovision at Festival mall

stan getz, elvis, beach boys, zombies, earl klugh, noel pointer .dami