hulika

Author Topic: The Greatest Pinoy Rock Band of All Time Is...  (Read 99423 times)

Offline jvmzen

• Philmusicus Noobitus
The Greatest Pinoy Rock Band of All Time Is...
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2006, 05:23:03 PM »
ERASERHEADS... The greatest band the Philippines had ever produced.

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2006, 01:22:20 PM »
Like beatles alright.........

Offline Tedmod

• Netizen Level
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2006, 07:45:54 AM »
Eheads.
Fruitcake is their legacy.

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: best pinoy rock band
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2006, 02:14:30 PM »
Quote from: hari ng sablay
eraserheads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they shattered the door between the underground and mainstream para marinig ung iba pang magagaling na pinoy rock bands

I agree. The Eraserheads' songs allowed rock to be pop.  

So, I say:

Eraserheads - for bringing rock back to the musical map
Wolfgang/Razorback (can't really take the two apart, IMO) - for bringing the bite back to rock
Juan dela Cruz - for making rock Pinoy

These are the big three.  Can't get any other Pinoy band with the greatest impact than these three.

Oh... does VST & Co. qualify as a band?  :lol:
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2006, 02:22:50 PM »
Free... this is an excellent, excellent reply.

I only agree with you partly, kasi I don't consider Yano to be a band, I think they're more of a group of poets than a rock band... like how Patti Smith was as an artist.

That was worth PHP 0.02 for you  :)

Quote from: free
Quote from: War Nerve
Old School Rivermaya

Sorry but the e-heads are so overrated

the eraserheads? the band that pretty much paved the way for local bands to get airplay on local radio when the airwaves were plagued by ballads, "overrated"? they deserve every credit that have been given to them. it didn't take good looks for them to get noticed by everyone (which is more than i can say for bands these days). all they had were their talent and a few songs about everyday life. unlikely heroes, that's the charm of the eraserheads. the four boy-next-door kids from UP who captivated the country with their music and changed music as we see it in the philippines. overrated, indeed.  :roll:

i believe that the "old school rivermaya" would have to be the most overrated band in the history of filipino music. i believe that perf de castro and bamboo, though good musicians in their own right, hindered rico blanco's creativity and progress with the band. rivermaya has always been all about rico blanco, he penned the lyrics and wrote the music for the group. it's not easy being green, a rivermaya without bamboo and perf, is a testament to this. taking over vocal duties, rico blanco came out of his musical shell and started writing some of the most original, refreshing and beautiful songs of the decade, and continues to do so to this day. rico blanco deserves his place in the limelight. he is, and will always be, rivermaya. the new rivermaya is here to stay.

wolfgang? the band would have been great if they didn't have leslie gemora as their drummer. a shame, really, the rest of the band are gifted enough to handle their positions well. leslie gemora has got to be one of the worst drummers of all time. the way he attacks his skins are boring, **** and predictable, he doesn't lift the music at all. instead of adding subtance, he seems to strip it away from the rest of the band. a drummer should be able to make a good song into a great song. just listen to jimmy's stuff on the early pumpkin records.

P.O.T., though a great band in their own right, does not deserve to be labelled as "the greatest pinoy rock band of all time". in order for you to be the greatest, you would have to do great things. the band just hasn't done enough to be even considered for the coveted title. they've only released one album. one of their most popular songs from that album, "yugyugan na" is just a cover version of the original hit by the advisors. they were a band that had plenty of potential but never really got to tap into it as much. shame, really.

Yano, they could be considered as one of the greatest bands ever. why? alongside the eraserheads, they've influenced a lot of bands. also, they were able to take a slice of the scene as their audience back when everyone was still listening to ballads. their folk-acoustic-punk-rock approach is unique and pleasing to the ears. also, they were never afraid to speak their minds, their tongue-in-cheek lyrics often speak of corruption in the country, everyday life, joining rallies and activism, just to name a few. this honesty in their music has made their songs into anthems for the average young filipino. sick and tired of copping bullsh*te from everyone, it's good to stick it to the man while listening to Dong Abay screaming "TRAPO! TRAPO KA KASI!". Yano did what they did best, play what they want to play and sung about what they're going through along the way, which i find admirable. there are already too many scenesters out there.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline LORD_TAMSZ

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2006, 04:22:25 PM »
Juan delaCruz band
at pagkatapos.....

The YOUTH!
kung nde lng cla nagkawalaan! :cry:  :cry:

"...remember kids, there are no stupid questions...just stupid people..."-- Mr. Garrison, South Park

Offline waybine

• Veteran Member
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2006, 02:48:23 PM »
BAMBOO
Great vocalist, great bassist, great guitarist, and an excellent drummer!
WayneQB
deadly in black

Offline bass monster

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2006, 07:02:22 PM »
Quote from: LORD_TAMSZ
Juan delaCruz band
at pagkatapos.....

The YOUTH!
kung nde lng cla nagkawalaan! :cry:  :cry:

Juan DelaCruz.....................
Maria Cafra.........................
Asin....................................

shempre
The Youth!!!!!

The Youth [buhay pa sila..... hehe, mabuhay si Erap!!!! mey mga gig pa sila at ng Alamid sa Malate/Baywalk area........ :twisted: and meron silang album na tinatapos ooops secret natin to ha?]
☠☠☠☠☠☠

Offline Allan_Reamillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2006, 06:59:42 AM »
Eraserheads.

Offline DjMOSA

• Netizen Level
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2006, 08:30:35 AM »
asin, eheads, and rivermaya ( old and new )  ...

Offline art_attack16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2006, 01:17:32 PM »
Kung wala Si Juan dela Cruz

ala sana pinoy Rock

Offline MarkRelos

« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2006, 08:16:23 PM »
earserheads , rivermaya , bamboo :wink:

at isang gabi nasagasaan sa isang madilim na eskenita haaa'

at sa pag tulog ng gabi mariring ang dasal na ang kabataan uhaw sa tunay na pag mamahal - "

hallelujah sinong sawa sinong galit sumigaw gaun gabi hallelu hallelujah ''
At sa pag tulog ng gabi maririnig ang dasal na ang kabataan uhaw sa tunay na pag mamahal " -

Offline Igor

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sir
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2006, 11:59:00 PM »
Juan de la Cruz - Old Skool

WolfGang - present (sayang nagdisband)
Shot na!!!

Offline kulapoot

BEST BAND
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2006, 04:17:32 AM »
ETO LNG BESTBAND S PINAS para sken

JUAN DELACRUZ
RAZORBACK
WOLFGANG
POT
EHEADS

in order yn

Offline MarkRelos

« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2006, 03:43:43 PM »
Quote from: free
Quote from: War Nerve
Old School Rivermaya

Sorry but the e-heads are so overrated

the eraserheads? the band that pretty much paved the way for local bands to get airplay on local radio when the airwaves were plagued by ballads, "overrated"? they deserve every credit that have been given to them. it didn't take good looks for them to get noticed by everyone (which is more than i can say for bands these days). all they had were their talent and a few songs about everyday life. unlikely heroes, that's the charm of the eraserheads. the four boy-next-door kids from UP who captivated the country with their music and changed music as we see it in the philippines. overrated, indeed.  :roll:

i believe that the "old school rivermaya" would have to be the most overrated band in the history of filipino music. i believe that perf de castro and bamboo, though good musicians in their own right, hindered rico blanco's creativity and progress with the band. rivermaya has always been all about rico blanco, he penned the lyrics and wrote the music for the group. it's not easy being green, a rivermaya without bamboo and perf, is a testament to this. taking over vocal duties, rico blanco came out of his musical shell and started writing some of the most original, refreshing and beautiful songs of the decade, and continues to do so to this day. rico blanco deserves his place in the limelight. he is, and will always be, rivermaya. the new rivermaya is here to stay.

wolfgang? the band would have been great if they didn't have leslie gemora as their drummer. a shame, really, the rest of the band are gifted enough to handle their positions well. leslie gemora has got to be one of the worst drummers of all time. the way he attacks his skins are boring, repetitive and predictable, he doesn't lift the music at all. instead of adding subtance, he seems to strip it away from the rest of the band. a drummer should be able to make a good song into a great song. just listen to jimmy's stuff on the early pumpkin records.

P.O.T., though a great band in their own right, does not deserve to be labelled as "the greatest pinoy rock band of all time". in order for you to be the greatest, you would have to do great things. the band just hasn't done enough to be even considered for the coveted title. they've only released one album. one of their most popular songs from that album, "yugyugan na" is just a cover version of the original hit by the advisors. they were a band that had plenty of potential but never really got to tap into it as much. shame, really.

Yano, they could be considered as one of the greatest bands ever. why? alongside the eraserheads, they've influenced a lot of bands. also, they were able to take a slice of the scene as their audience back when everyone was still listening to ballads. their folk-acoustic-punk-rock approach is unique and pleasing to the ears. also, they were never afraid to speak their minds, their tongue-in-cheek lyrics often speak of corruption in the country, everyday life, joining rallies and activism, just to name a few. this honesty in their music has made their songs into anthems for the average young filipino. sick and tired of copping bullsh*te from everyone, it's good to stick it to the man while listening to Dong Abay screaming "TRAPO! TRAPO KA KASI!". Yano did what they did best, play what they want to play and sung about what they're going through along the way, which i find admirable. there are already too many scenesters out there.

i agree on the rivermaya bout rico
At sa pag tulog ng gabi maririnig ang dasal na ang kabataan uhaw sa tunay na pag mamahal " -

Offline rakistang kumag

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2006, 07:02:50 AM »
juan delacruz tsaka eheads
tabi...dadaan ang timang

Offline rakistang kumag

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2006, 07:02:51 AM »
juan delacruz tsaka eheads
tabi...dadaan ang timang

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2006, 08:14:10 AM »
Cueshe

is not...

Offline namida

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2006, 05:08:50 PM »
Thats a very hard question to answer. But I will have to choose between Juan Dela Cruz and Razorback. Yano is an interesting band though :)
"Ano man ang iyong ginagawa sa iyong kapatid, ay siya ring ginagawa mo sa akin" --Yano

Home Recordings ->> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=480230  My Band ->>

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2006, 09:04:30 PM »
Im gonna get burned for this but porke nauna ka the best ka na. JDLC band is a pretty good band but in my opinion the band scene was still very slow until the EHEADS came along 8)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline vinz

« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2006, 02:45:47 PM »
JUAN DELA CRUZ

ERASERHEADS

as of now wala pa!!!

Offline xchax

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2006, 04:52:56 PM »
e-heads

Offline infernal_dante666

• Netizen Level
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2006, 11:08:34 PM »
Eraserheads(Ely Buendia) Wolfgang Razorback Yano The Youth at Siakol

malaking ma influensya ako dito lalo na sa lyrics na bawat kinakanta nila kaya i made a big respect for them as true music.

"As long as it says Metallica on the record it's Metallica."

Offline aBie

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2006, 01:28:39 AM »
for me, e-heads... slapshock..  :roll:  :D
the more i drink,i want you more and more and more...

Offline eonneonone

« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2006, 05:31:23 AM »
^^^ slapshock? sorry but urbandub is way greater than them.

siguro e-heads pa rin. they paved the way and planted seeds while doing so.
ngayon, nakikita natin ang bunga ng mga punlang itinanim nila. lahat gustong maging next e-heads.