hulika

Author Topic: The Magical 2% of Electric Solid Body Guitars  (Read 10093 times)

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The Magical 2% of Electric Solid Body Guitars
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2018, 10:49:57 AM »
in...
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2018, 11:17:33 AM »
Mukhang mas maraming kanta ata ang ginawa sa magandang tunog na Gibson Les Paul Standard na gawa noong 1957-1960.  Just saying... Only a Gibson was Good Enough.

That's too wide of a summary saying most hits from  the golden age of music was done on a Gibson.
Steve Cropper on a plank of wood comes to mind.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 11:20:20 AM by pallas »
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2018, 04:49:51 PM »

That's too wide of a summary saying most hits from  the golden age of music was done on a Gibson.
Steve Cropper on a plank of wood comes to mind.

Just to clarify:  I was saying that MORE hits were made on a Golden Age Les Paul Standard with Humbuckers

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2018, 05:03:46 PM »
senyor firemodel, you talked about specific percentage, and in this case a whole 2%. when people read this, of course, we want to know where you get this data. we want to know where you acquired an accurate statistical data from this 2%. you said you talked with folks from prs. ok, that is good, but what about folks from gibson? fender? and other manufacturers? etc...etc...

just because you have "magical" guitars in your stablel, you assume that 2%. have you tried all the guitars manufactured in the world by all manufacturers for the last 30 years? have you done that to back up your 2% claim. that is my question. yes, i do believe there are "magical" guitars. some are so magical that rabbits pop out of a hat or the statue of liberty will disappear every time you play that guitar. you claim to own some magical guitars , well that's good. keep telling yourself that. but to tell you frankly, a huge percentage (just the word huge, not a specific number coz i do not have the statistical data to back it up) of people in this forum d-o-e-s n-o-t c-a-re.

My data is acquired from experience and exposure.  Thats why I say, I will tell you when try 100 Made in USA Fenders.  In the meantime, I am short cutting the process for you. 

I have to give you a ball park figure for magical guitars right?  As I said, for Fenders its 5% for me.  John and Paul have lower estimates.  On the extreme is Gibson with about 1% and the other extreme is Suhr at around 10% -- yes I am surprised by Suhr because they seem to be getting their numbers up.

I do not mean magical to be rabbits and circus.  For me, the magic is that a guitar encourages deeper levels of expression and delight when you play it.

You claim a majority don't care -- yet majority turn over their guitars like so on this forum.  Ito pa ang kakatawa -- mamaya makikita mo sila with the same type of guitar kung may pera na uli.  Di ba on tonequest sila at least a majority of the time?

I have nothing to gain and I am NOT selling any of my guitars.  So really, its just fair warning for all.  With the way you ask your questions, it gives me an impression that you still have not found any magical guitar.  Thats cool because it takes time to learn it.  I was also stuck with Ibanez and ESP signatures back in the day.
Up to this day, I am hoping to find a magical Ibanez guitar --- wala talaga suspetsa ko panget talaga kahoy nila.  Sana nga kung minsan kasing suwerte ako ni Steve Vai na nakahanap siya ng FLO at EVO.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2018, 10:44:47 PM »
Just to clarify:  I was saying that MORE hits were made on a Golden Age Les Paul Standard with Humbuckers

That’s seems odd but even though I like les pauls. They were pricy to begin with hence artists tend to go to the other camp.
When Zimmy went electric it was all Fender.
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2018, 06:38:15 AM »
That’s seems odd but even though I like les pauls. They were pricy to begin with hence artists tend to go to the other camp.
When Zimmy went electric it was all Fender.

Well... Beat it (except for the solo) and Rosanna are recorded on bursts.  Don't know how you can top that.

Money for Nothing is burst all the way.   A lot of the newer metallica stuff are done on the burst specially on Hardwired.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2018, 08:09:19 AM »
Well... Beat it (except for the solo) and Rosanna are recorded on bursts.  Don't know how you can top that.

Money for Nothing is burst all the way.   A lot of the newer metallica stuff are done on the burst specially on Hardwired.

We can do this all day song for song back and forth from hitsville to present but I gotta take my son out swimming now so that's that.
Still pretty wide summary and over generalization.

Somewhere there is data that needs to be collected on your argument.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2018, 08:54:24 AM »
We can do this all day song for song back and forth from hitsville to present but I gotta take my son out swimming now so that's that.
Still pretty wide summary and over generalization.

Somewhere there is data that needs to be collected on your argument.

No need.  Go out and try out 100 USA made Fenders.  Unless you cannot hear it; then you need a database.

Offline Ben Tsing Co

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2018, 08:55:33 AM »
I still want a unicorn  :cute:
“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2018, 10:55:50 AM »
My data is acquired from experience and exposure.  Thats why I say, I will tell you when try 100 Made in USA Fenders.  In the meantime, I am short cutting the process for you. 

I have to give you a ball park figure for magical guitars right?  As I said, for Fenders its 5% for me.  John and Paul have lower estimates.  On the extreme is Gibson with about 1% and the other extreme is Suhr at around 10% -- yes I am surprised by Suhr because they seem to be getting their numbers up.

I do not mean magical to be rabbits and circus.  For me, the magic is that a guitar encourages deeper levels of expression and delight when you play it.

You claim a majority don't care -- yet majority turn over their guitars like so on this forum.  Ito pa ang kakatawa -- mamaya makikita mo sila with the same type of guitar kung may pera na uli.  Di ba on tonequest sila at least a majority of the time?

I have nothing to gain and I am NOT selling any of my guitars.  So really, its just fair warning for all.  With the way you ask your questions, it gives me an impression that you still have not found any magical guitar.  Thats cool because it takes time to learn it.  I was also stuck with Ibanez and ESP signatures back in the day.
Up to this day, I am hoping to find a magical Ibanez guitar --- wala talaga suspetsa ko panget talaga kahoy nila.  Sana nga kung minsan kasing suwerte ako ni Steve Vai na nakahanap siya ng FLO at EVO.

your data is based on your experience and exposure? therefore, i conclude that this 2% is purely an assumption based from one persons experience and exposure.
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2018, 11:38:25 AM »
No need.  Go out and try out 100 USA made Fenders.  Unless you cannot hear it; then you need a database.

Nice Segway from your original wild summary of Gibson guitars being played on more top hit songs than Fender guitars.

Keep it up.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2018, 11:21:39 PM »

Nice Segway from your original wild summary of Gibson guitars being played on more top hit songs than Fender guitars.

Keep it up.

Actually, I meant that if any unknown undesirable guitar serves as inspiration so do the most cherished and most expensive guitars.  Iyon lang. Of course, may mga talangang hit songs na ginawa sa 59 standard golden age; ako personally may mga gusto akong kanta na gawa at inspired ng super strat.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2018, 11:24:40 PM »
your data is based on your experience and exposure? therefore, i conclude that this 2% is purely an assumption based from one persons experience and exposure.

Yeah but my message is that it coincides with John Mayer and Paul Reed Smith's observations too.

By the way, on a personal level I am NOT just one person when it comes to selecting guitars that are magical.  Just ASK Bong sa Perfect Pitch and Yas Iwande (when he comes around) sa Crescendo.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2018, 02:33:40 PM »
To my mind, I don't doubt there are magical guitars that will just resonate with me on an almost mystical level. But that's only half the equation as far as I am concerned --- the other half is whether I willing to plunk down a crazy amount of money when I do encounter it (I probably won't, hehe). Bless those guys who are fortunate enough to afford those things that give them joy.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2018, 05:25:47 PM »
To my mind, I don't doubt there are magical guitars that will just resonate with me on an almost mystical level. But that's only half the equation as far as I am concerned --- the other half is whether I willing to plunk down a crazy amount of money when I do encounter it (I probably won't, hehe). Bless those guys who are fortunate enough to afford those things that give them joy.

And bless those guys who find inspiration with what they have. Plugged my Les Paul today been awhile. Old Roland rack delay, favorite mid boost pedal, 4x12 clean settings.

Dopamine rush.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2018, 06:39:40 PM »

Thanks for the blessing.  Why don't you come over so I can share my blessings even for just a day?

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2018, 06:40:34 PM »

And bless those guys who find inspiration with what they have. Plugged my Les Paul today been awhile. Old Roland rack delay, favorite mid boost pedal, 4x12 clean settings.

Dopamine rush.

Agree and may you never ever again have to sell anything in the classifieds.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2018, 08:54:32 PM »
Thanks for the blessing.  Why don't you come over so I can share my blessings even for just a day?

Basta may food, lol kidding

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2018, 08:55:29 PM »

Basta may food, lol kidding

Dopamine rush.

This is me. Suffering is not when you don't have what you want, but when you don't like what you have.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2018, 08:59:40 PM »

I think all of us have a guitar (or several) that will only be taken away from us from our cold, dead hands --- whether they sound great or not. The ones we end up selling are either bad sounding or bad decisions, LOL

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2018, 10:10:34 PM »

I’ve had that LP for more than 20 years. It’s staying....nostalgia I guess.

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2018, 08:27:59 AM »

Even more hits with the Yamaha DX7
nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline Stratzkiboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2018, 02:56:58 PM »
A bit off topic but I would be interested in your opinion about Acoustic Guitars Firemodel55
:)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2018, 06:32:29 PM »
A bit off topic but I would be interested in your opinion about Acoustic Guitars Firemodel55
:)
Ngek.  Totally nothing on Acoustic Guitars.  In fact, I don't have an acoustic guitar.

Offline trees

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2018, 03:41:24 AM »

I concur.  If the 2% comes from the inputs of the living legends like Clapton..etc., then case closed.