hulika

Author Topic: Your best blues guitarist inspiration?  (Read 95886 times)

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
Your best blues guitarist inspiration?
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2006, 03:14:08 PM »
Yup! Whittington... killer, modern blues licks! Napa iling si Clapton sa galing nito on the video of Mayall's bday 70th concert... thanks, bro!

And how could I have forgotten Michael Bloomfield!

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2006, 04:31:21 PM »
Quote from: vegetablejoe
Yup! Whittington... killer, modern blues licks! Napa iling si Clapton sa galing nito on the video of Mayall's bday 70th concert... thanks, bro!

vegetablejoe, do you have any mike bloomfield listening stuff you could share with me and deacon blues? we were curious about his music a few month ago... how about describing his guitar style?
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline nicosci

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2006, 12:05:53 AM »
<-----Yun oh
Let USA invadeThe Philippines

Chito

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2006, 12:20:46 AM »
Eric Clapton - who hopefully will be here in September which would  be my 2nd time since I saw him in Manila in 81 (if I remember right)
Duane Allman/Dickie Betts of the Allman Bros. - Dickie Betts is playing here at the Ottawa Blues Festival this July. I also saw the Allman Bros with Dickie Betts and Warren Haynes a few years ago.
Johnny Winter - Saw him 3 months ago, it's so sad to see him in his present state, needs to be helped when walking and sat down all the time. He still is good albeit a bit slower with his fingers now and prone to committing mistakes. One night he's good other nights he sucked.
B.B. King Who I saw back in 94, sits down playing now.
Buddy Guy I also saw him in 95
Robert Johnson I'd be worried if I see him.

There are others but these are the ones that come to mind.

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2006, 06:52:31 AM »
Quote from: psychic_sushi

vegetablejoe, do you have any mike bloomfield listening stuff you could share with me and deacon blues? we were curious about his music a few month ago... how about describing his guitar style?

Yup, I'll make you a copy of early Bloomfield, via the first two Butterfield albums and the Super Session album...

Deacon Blues (or should it be Deacon Jazz?) can better describe the Bloomfield style to you. He's heard the above albums na. IIRC, he was disappointed...

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2006, 07:25:38 AM »

Yup, I'll make you a copy of early Bloomfield, via the first two Butterfield albums and the Super Session album...

Deacon Blues (or should it be Deacon Jazz?) can better describe the Bloomfield style to you. He's heard the above albums na. IIRC, he was disappointed...

i can see why deacon blues/jazz would be disappointed w/ bloomfield. altho big fan ako, IMO magulo si bloomfield e, parang chopsuey of guitar styles. that's because he is really a chameleon. if you can hear him focus on a certain style and work within it, galeng!  still tho, lumalabas yung pagiging praning nya dahil sa drugs.  parang wala siyang story and just babbles.  

in short, walang isang style si bloomfield. proof of that is the album, "If you love thes blues, play 'em as you please."  

i also have a copy of his Live at the Waldorf album, if you want to hear searing Goldtop P90 tone!

txt txt na lang, boys  ;-)

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2006, 11:49:24 AM »
Quote from: Chito
Johnny Winter - Saw him 3 months ago, it's so sad to see him in his present state, needs to be helped when walking and sat down all the time. He still is good albeit a bit slower with his fingers now and prone to committing mistakes. One night he's good other nights he sucked.

That's sad! I wonder how his brother Edgar is doing...
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2006, 01:51:56 PM »

muchas gracias vegetablejoe! will talk to deacon jazz for bloomfields playing description.

Ron Kirn

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2006, 01:58:14 PM »
Quote from: Chito

Robert Johnson I'd be worried if I see him.

Yeah, so sad to see JW in that state ;( when i got a copy of his dvd, my heart was beating furiously to watch him. when i popped it in the player, it bled ;(

heheheh, who wouldn't be worried if they didn't see robert johnson! how about conducting a seance/clinic where we summon the spirits of the departed guitar greats ;) (count me out! hahaha!) they can teach us their stuff! btw- (off topic) didn't guitar player magazine have a Jimi issue where the interviewers sought the services of a medium to contact him? Jimi stated that he liked Clapton Unplugged. I lost my copy of that...

hmm, great idea for a new thread, hehehehe... will post

Ron Kirn

Offline messyhands

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2006, 04:44:04 PM »
No mention of John Lee Hooker yet?!  Mauna na ako.  Any other John Lee fans there? :)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2006, 05:26:49 PM »
Quote from: messyhands
No mention of John Lee Hooker yet?!  Mauna na ako.  Any other John Lee fans there? :)

"Mmmmm.... You know I hobo'd, hobo'd, hobo'd, hobo'd,
hobo'd a long, long way from home, oh Lord"... Fellow JLH fan here!

JLH, Muddy, Lightnin Hopkins, and BB King are the deepest blues vocalists for me.

Chito

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2006, 09:11:47 PM »
What about Elmore James of Dust My Broom fame?

Offline v00doochi1d

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2006, 09:15:38 PM »
Everyone's mentioned the guitar gods and heroes, but there were/are a lot of other great blues guitarists to listent o and learn from... Peter Green, Mick Taylor, Rick Derringer, Harvey Mandel, Dave Mason, Mick Abrahams... and today's Kid Ramos, Jimmy Vaughan, Bonnie Raitt, and the fat guy who plays guitar for John Mayall (sorry I forgot his name...)

They all inspire!

and the fat guy who plays guitar for John Mayall (sorry I forgot his name...)-Buddy Whitington?

Chito

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2006, 04:52:20 AM »

wahhhh! awesome record! my daddy had that lp, johnny winter in his prime!

your daddy? hehehe This was the first LP that I ever bought for myself:

in 1971. Bought it at Villar Records in Escolta. hehehe

I'm wondering if MarktheV is related to those Villar folks.

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2006, 06:38:19 PM »
Quote from: Tarkuz Toccata
And this...

1976!

8)

wahhhh! awesome record! my daddy had that lp, johnny winter in his prime!

your old man is about the same age as me?!?  :shock:

:wink:
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline v00doochi1d

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2006, 10:27:16 AM »
[/quote]

does stephen stills count? his playing on CS&N (and sometimes Y) stuff like "Black Queen" was very earthy blues. "[/quote]

kakatakot yan black queen!!..alrayt yan...deep blues!! :D

Offline jazhombie

jimi
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2006, 12:46:52 AM »
hendrix,then sCott henderson- then pat metheny! 8)

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2006, 09:23:54 AM »
and the fat guy who plays guitar for John Mayall (sorry I forgot his name...)

it's either walter trout or coco montoya....theyre both pretty huge...both physically and musically.

i watched coco montoya when he had a gig at the blue cafe in long beach.he's awesome.gave me a pick...i probably dropped it somewhere in my drunk stupor!

my best blues guitarist inspiration? stevie ray vaughan is my best GUITAR inspiration...not just in blues...RAVE ON, STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN!
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2006, 09:29:23 AM »
Quote from: messyhands

you know what brother? i just bought an amp from a guy named rick parish.

he used to play guitar for the late great john lee hooker.he has a band called " rick parish and the blue monsoon"

the amp? it's a hot rod deville...really road weary but other wise sounds great. i got a piece of blues history man.
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline extreme16199

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2006, 10:30:04 AM »
Quote from: blues2death
and the fat guy who plays guitar for John Mayall (sorry I forgot his name...)

it's either walter trout or coco montoya....theyre both pretty huge...both physically and musically.

i watched coco montoya when he had a gig at the blue cafe in long beach.he's awesome.gave me a pick...i probably dropped it somewhere in my drunk stupor!

my best blues guitarist inspiration? stevie ray vaughan is my best GUITAR inspiration...not just in blues...RAVE ON, STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN!

it's buddy whittington, man.  he's the current guitar player of john mayall.  it was actually already mentioned earlier in the thread.

that said, walter trout is an amazing player, as is montoya.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2006, 10:53:16 AM »
well....the blues breakers have ( had) three fat guitar players then :lol:

why have only one when you can have three?

Offline masterwindu

• Netizen Level
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2006, 11:56:20 AM »
T-Bone Walker!!!

my brother brought home a t-bone walker good feelin' cd he got on sale for 100 pesos  :lol: . been hooked to the blues ever since.

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2006, 02:24:10 PM »
Quote from: blues2death
well....the blues breakers have ( had) three fat guitar players then :lol:

why have only one when you can have three?

I guess a stage can only accomodate one fat guitar player at a time! nyuk nyuk nyuk....  :lol:

Walter Trout is great, but after watching a whole dvd's worth of his concert, medyo nakakasawa na yung od tone niya. Whereas Buddy Whittington sounds so fresh all the time, with clean strat tone to die for!

Can anyone (in Manila) pls. share cds of this guy?

Offline spilledmilk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2006, 04:16:51 PM »
clapton....the "from the cradle" album...but since i was a kid my dad would always play the older ones...songs like "i shot the sheriff" (which is actually not that blues-y...

then i dug a little and discovered b.b. king

then hendrix and srv....
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst
Siochi Custom Lead GT 50 Watt Head
Matching 2x12 Cab with Vintage 30s

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2006, 04:03:31 PM »
I'm currently enjoying listening to some cds of Robben Ford and the Blue Line. Kakaiba... my latest blues guitar hero.

Di ko makayang sabayan, pero sarap pakinggan. Swabe. Classy.  8)