hulika

Author Topic: Your best blues guitarist inspiration?  (Read 95898 times)

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
Your best blues guitarist inspiration?
« on: May 09, 2006, 11:28:53 AM »
Who first inspired you to do blues?..  :)

To start off, my first ever inspiration was clapton (hehe :) ).. inspiration din sa strat..

then si bb king, buddy guy..

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 11:22:40 PM »
SRV & Clapton sa umpisa...

tas i dug Hendrix, BB King and Robert Johnson...

tas lately Robben Ford. :D
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 03:50:35 PM »
jimi! my dad turned me on to him when i was starting out, hes been on the top of my list, always referred to in my solos.

then followed EC, albert king, srv, and whoever. johnny winter and jimi are perennial favorites of mine, but i got sad watching the latest JW dvd ;( he was just seated on a chair!
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 03:50:44 PM »
jimi! my dad turned me on to him when i was starting out, hes been on the top of my list, always referred to in my solos.

then followed EC, albert king, srv, and whoever. johnny winter and jimi are perennial favorites of mine, but i got sad watching the latest JW dvd ;( he was just seated on a chair!

Ron Kirn

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 08:49:33 PM »
My first brush with the blues was Jeff Beck's 'Wired' album..

I admit that I'm not really too fond of the Hendrix, Clapton, or BB King styles, but there's something about Beck's playing that sets him apart from his peers ..

His solo on 'Goodbye Pork Pie Hat' is my textbook case of a classic blues solo - in terms of tone and phrasing. It's amazing how he builds up from whisper-soft levels and cranks it up to that searing, distorted tone .. To this day, that song still sends chills up my spine

I haven't seen any of his videos before, so you can just imagine how ecstatic I was upon finding all those rare, historic clips at youtube.com
Beck is best heard AND seen! It's amazing to see him playing with just his fingers - thumbing his notes, 'heeling' the bridge to get that trademark flutter ..

Unfortunately, I don't quite dig his newer albums' 'techno' touch. I still prefer to hear him in the traditional four or five piece band setting.
"No static at all ..."

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 09:23:27 PM »
Clapton, period.  :lol:

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 09:29:49 PM »
Eric Clapton
Duane Allman
Johnny Winter
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline jinggoy

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 12:14:11 AM »
srv at hendrix...yun na yun...

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 09:19:02 AM »
Quote from: Deacon Blues
His solo on 'Goodbye Pork Pie Hat' is my textbook case of a classic blues solo - in terms of tone and phrasing. It's amazing how he builds up from whisper-soft levels and cranks it up to that searing, distorted tone .. To this day, that song still sends chills up my spine

I read a story long ago behind the recording of Jeff Beck's "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" guitar solo. The solo section was simplified because Beck couldn't play through the original chord changes.
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline haringulan

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 11:53:28 AM »
buddy guy's damn right ive got the blues did it for me.

(gee, i havent seen this section before... cool)

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 03:08:02 PM »
i dont play too much blues kasi ang hirap :( ...but elmore james and lightnin hopkins got me hooked :D
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline cool2ny

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 09:58:14 PM »
hendrix, page and black crowes

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 01:34:40 AM »
Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan for me.. :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 12:31:52 PM »
You just named them all actually................. Clapton, hendrix, vaughn, page................... They started it all so they have all our respect and all................. But there are some new artist nowadays that are really, really good & highly innovative when it comes to playing blues................ And take note, most of them are not black americans.................. Hispanic and White americans too............... Try googling some of these names: Leon Chalnick, Rory Gallargher, Peppe Iorio, etc............... Promise you they are cool.......... 8)

Offline narcosis

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 05:19:00 PM »
For me, I started to like blues when I heard the Door's House of "BLues" and some BB King tunes.
Fun Is Fun, Done Is Done

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 06:11:23 PM »
This 1975 album inspired me to do blues...

No kidding!

8)

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 06:56:42 PM »
This one too...

1971!

8)

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 08:51:49 PM »
And this...

1976!

8)

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2006, 01:07:44 AM »
My other blues guitar inspirations are Roy Buchanan and Robin Trower...

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2006, 12:27:42 PM »
Quote from: emil_murillo
You just named them all actually................. Clapton, hendrix, vaughn, page................... They started it all so they have all our respect and all................. But there are some new artist nowadays that are really, really good & highly innovative when it comes to playing blues................ And take note, most of them are not black americans.................. Hispanic and White americans too............... Try googling some of these names: Leon Chalnick, Rory Gallargher, Peppe Iorio, etc............... Promise you they are cool.......... 8)

+1 rory gallagher.. pretty cool..  :)

Offline oist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2006, 06:44:49 PM »
jimi hendrix. :D

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2006, 09:19:56 AM »
Everyone's mentioned the guitar gods and heroes, but there were/are a lot of other great blues guitarists to listent o and learn from... Peter Green, Mick Taylor, Rick Derringer, Harvey Mandel, Dave Mason, Mick Abrahams... and today's Kid Ramos, Jimmy Vaughan, Bonnie Raitt, and the fat guy who plays guitar for John Mayall (sorry I forgot his name...)

They all inspire!

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2006, 10:39:33 AM »
Quote from: Tarkuz Toccata
And this...

1976!

8)

wahhhh! awesome record! my daddy had that lp, johnny winter in his prime!

Ron Kirn

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2006, 10:45:19 AM »
Quote from: vegetablejoe
Everyone's mentioned the guitar gods and heroes, but there were/are a lot of other great blues guitarists to listent o and learn from... Peter Green, Mick Taylor, Rick Derringer, Harvey Mandel, Dave Mason, Mick Abrahams... and today's Kid Ramos, Jimmy Vaughan, Bonnie Raitt, and the fat guy who plays guitar for John Mayall (sorry I forgot his name...)

They all inspire!

Oooh, dave mason! traffic ;) he's aweson too! does stephen stills count? his playing on CS&N (and sometimes Y) stuff like "Black Queen" was very earthy blues. "Wooden Ships" when I first heard that song, was my first taste in haunting tone. to see a live vid of him play it with his firebird, you can see him roll the tone knob down to get that fat, jazz-blues overdriven sound. and the licks are killer! special mention: his solo album "Long Time Coming". title track features hendrix funking out and soloing, and another track with EC. star studded cast!

isn't Harvey Mandel the guys who claims to have came up with right hand on fretboard tapping?

Ron Kirn

Offline extreme16199

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2006, 12:10:58 PM »
Quote from: vegetablejoe
and the fat guy who plays guitar for John Mayall (sorry I forgot his name...)

They all inspire!

buddy whittington