hulika

Author Topic: bass drum tuning  (Read 7659 times)

Offline contractor

• Philmusicus Noobitus
bass drum tuning
« on: July 16, 2016, 04:52:33 PM »
Could anyone please explain why some drummers loosen the batter skin of the bass drum ? halos wala
ng resonance ang maririnig . I don't find the logic.I have a hard time mixing the bass drum sound then when miking it in.

Thank you.

Offline musicianurse28

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: bass drum tuning
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 11:22:26 PM »
Could anyone please explain why some drummers loosen the batter skin of the bass drum ? halos wala
ng resonance ang maririnig . I don't find the logic.I have a hard time mixing the bass drum sound then when miking it in.

Thank you.

IMO, it's what they call the "wet/fat" sound. Usually used in rock genre. You don't need the logic there. It's more of the preference of the one who's producing it. Bass Drum doesn't necessarily need resonance all of the time as compared to Rack Toms where it's a must for it to sing. Again, it will all boil down to the song's requirement or preference.
Planning for a Band Rehearsal Studio business. Baka may alam kayong space for rent around QC area lang. Please PM me. Thank you.

Offline suspendead

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 11:29:49 PM »
IMO, it's what they call the "wet/fat" sound. Usually used in rock genre. You don't need the logic there. It's more of the preference of the one who's producing it. Bass Drum doesn't necessarily need resonance all of the time as compared to Rack Toms where it's a must for it to sing. Again, it will all boil down to the song's requirement or preference.

Good point there sir. Another thing is that, some drummers doesn't want that bouncy feel when their pedal beater hits the bass drum head. Some drummer prefer that their legs do most of the work.
" I HEAR VOICES AND THEY DON'T LIKE YOU "

Offline harugrugrug

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 10:56:25 AM »
when the drummer prefers "dead" sounding drum kaya ganun. imagine a bonham sounding drum sa punk song.
The bass would be ringing all the way. But if you own a studio then some records like that. Test it both ways.
Your tuning and the loose dead tuning that the drummer wants. Then make a side by side comparison to them and other friends of yours
without telling which is which so you'll know what they hear better. do this just drums and drums with music. :-D
Then you'll find the answer.
josephmariosep.wordpress.com,josephmariosep instagram
Pwede naman magreply sa pm,libre naman serbisyo ng philmusic bat ang tamad niyo pa magreply sa mga offer niyo.

Offline contractor

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 04:26:48 PM »
Thank you All for the comments. But, I"ve visited all the sites of how to tune the bass drum, and also youtube instructionals on how to tune the drums... I still could not find professional tuning instructions that loosens the skin of the bass drum all the way until it sounds like a wet plastic.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 04:42:16 PM »
Thank you All for the comments. But, I"ve visited all the sites of how to tune the bass drum, and also youtube instructionals on how to tune the drums... I still could not find professional tuning instructions that loosens the skin of the bass drum all the way until it sounds like a wet plastic.

find tutorials on tuning drums for recording of metal or other rock genres. tuning drums will often adhere to the tradition of having a resonant bass drum, but in a recording setting, most rock drummers and producers prefer a dead sounding kick as it is easier to mix and gives a better "thud in your chest" sound rather than a ringing, resonating, jazzy sound.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline musicianurse28

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 11:42:57 PM »
Agreeing with Ralph.

Rock goes with the wet "thud" sound. Kaya loose tuning. Again, you don't need logic there. It's with the prefered sound. Funk goes with this as well.

Jazz goes with more resonance and ring, that's why most jazz drummers prefer to have a smaller diameter bass drums such as 18" and 20". Some goes with 16". And aside from Jazz, ringy and resonating bass drum is also preferred by RnB and Hiphop drummers.

And with all due respect sir, I don't mean no harm, hayaan mo na lang sila kung bakit ganon sound ng bass drum nila. Sa pagiging drummer kasi madalas tenga ang ginagamit sa pagtono. No logic, mathemathics, physics required. If what you're hearing from the bass drum sounds good to you, that's great! If you're not happy with it, re-tune it to your liking.

Again, preference. No professional tuning, just ears.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 01:16:42 AM by musicianurse28 »
Planning for a Band Rehearsal Studio business. Baka may alam kayong space for rent around QC area lang. Please PM me. Thank you.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 11:17:04 AM »
Agreeing with Ralph.

Rock goes with the wet "thud" sound. Kaya loose tuning. Again, you don't need logic there. It's with the prefered sound. Funk goes with this as well.

Jazz goes with more resonance and ring, that's why most jazz drummers prefer to have a smaller diameter bass drums such as 18" and 20". Some goes with 16". And aside from Jazz, ringy and resonating bass drum is also preferred by RnB and Hiphop drummers.

And with all due respect sir, I don't mean no harm, hayaan mo na lang sila kung bakit ganon sound ng bass drum nila. Sa pagiging drummer kasi madalas tenga ang ginagamit sa pagtono. No logic, mathemathics, physics required. If what you're hearing from the bass drum sounds good to you, that's great! If you're not happy with it, re-tune it to your liking.

Again, preference. No professional tuning, just ears.

yap yap yap, in the end, if it sounds good to your ears, mas gaganahan kang tumugtog.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 05:38:34 PM »

there is no universally 'correct' tuning. kahit wet plastic sir, tama pa rin yun kung ganun yung tunog na gusto nung drummer or if the sound fits the music. parang sa sound system kayo, i suggest stay away from clicky sounding kick drum mics like audix d6 para hindi ma accentuate yung plastic sound. beta52 is always safe for any tuning or d112. kung di nyo masyado gusto talaga, add more muffling sa loob ng kick or use heavily dampened heads

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 05:42:54 PM »

Thank you.

you can add resonance to the kick by changing the tuning of the front head, usually by tightening it.

batter head is always at the mercy of the drummer, kailangan kung san sya comfortable

Offline gss

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 08:45:20 AM »
Just think about this - you have to contend with finding the sound you like given these variables: 2 heads of usually different types, 16 or 20 lugs to tinker, your pedal's beater head, plus some other external add-ons you may have like muffling, rings, and your mic, etc....so I agree with everything said. No math, no "standards"... they are just "references" to guide you. Be patient. Mahirap din kasi malaki ang bass drum mahirap i handle. In the end it's up to you, whatever will make you happy, comfortable, and content with the final sound will be the correct one for you. ...that is at a particular time only haha, pwedeng bukas makalawa iba na naman gusto mo :)

Offline Drummeroo

• Formerly known as "Iyan"
  • Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 07:36:55 PM »
Its your personal preference kung papano mo itu-tune ang Bass Drum. Me personally i love that loosed head type of kick. Mas masarap ang effort sa pagsipa. And pangit ang feel kapag binabalik ng batterhead yung beater. Di ko feel.
Nakipag 69 ako and then kakatapos lang pala niyang umebs, eh hindi ko natanong sa kanya , nasabik eh, ayun pati ebs nakain ko. Hindi ko nalang sinabi sa kanya baka ma offe