hulika

Author Topic: Good Stores... Bad Stores  (Read 20591 times)

Offline 16track

• Netizen Level
Good Stores... Bad Stores
« on: January 27, 2006, 07:39:23 AM »
In my 30 years of playing- I have gone to just about every store in Metro Manila that sells any item that is guitar related. In a few cases- I have also visited several stores in the provinces as well. If I see a guitar on display I often take time to stop by and check the place out.

Some of those shops are a joy to visit as the the staff and service provided are simply top rate.... while many of the shops are just down right snooty or just so plain bad you'd swear never to give them your business again.

I would like to make clear that this is not to put down bad stores just for the sake of it--- but rather-- maybe one of their own staff [or owners] will read this and do what they can to implement changes. Constructive criticism.. in a way.

For the the good shops...  hope they also read this and do what they can to maintain or even furthere improve their services...

BTW... please include shops outside the country if you have expreriences with them as well.
Child of the Blues!

Offline 16track

• Netizen Level
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 08:06:14 AM »
Let me start.

I often visit Audiophile in Pioneer St in Mandaluyong. One of their staff-- Jaime-- is very accommodating. Good service and you can tell that he aims to please a customer. Over the years- I have patronized Audiophile Pioneer ( even when they were still on the other side beside Sogo which is now Robinsons ) and I have seen the staff change quickly. Jaime easily ranks as one of the better ones.

On the bad side.... I recently visited the Yamaha shop over in a mall in Singapore and the service was so plain bad-- rather non-existent. The staff won't even help you unless they're sure you're going to buy something.

The Guitar shop in Kuala Lumpur which is right beside the Regent in Bukit Bintang had some pretty accommodating staff. Very warm welcome and service given. Unfortunately--many of the staff are not well versed in gear specs and accessories.
Child of the Blues!

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 08:20:57 AM »
Very good customer service....

Guitar Center - Sherman Oaks, CA - Ventura ave.
- salesman approached me with a pick at hand and said, "would you like to play some of our guitars sir." (with a smile)

Guitar Center - Hollywood - Sunset Blvd.
Helped me all through out shopping some cables, picks, straps, mic stand...inquired about a MusicMan Sillhoutte...called the factory in San Luis Obispo to see if the guitar I want is in stock.

SamASH at Canoga Park, De Soto St.
Musician salesmen and women(long hair, tatoo, piercings...the whole getup) ...down to earth and knows the equipment.

CARVIN store at Hollywood
helped me picked out an amp stand....good customer service.

Note: Don't ask for suggestions and recommendations from these stores about vacuum tubes.....they sell it at a high price and don't know crap.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline 16track

• Netizen Level
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 08:44:52 AM »
Good Morning Phil!

Yep-- I agree with you on the two Guitar Centers you mentioned. I go to LA regularly and one of my stops is the Guitar Center in LA. My favorite staffer there is the friendly guy manning the accessory counter. Always a smile to welcome you in his area of operations.  I often visit the accessory counters first as there's really a wide variety ot select from and the guy always knows his stuff.

Regards!

Quote from: Phil
Very good customer service....

Guitar Center - Sherman Oaks, CA - Ventura ave.
- salesman approached me with a pick at hand and said, "would you like to play some of our guitars sir." (with a smile)

Guitar Center - Hollywood - Sunset Blvd.
Helped me all through out shopping some cables, picks, straps, mic stand...inquired about a MusicMan Sillhoutte...called the factory in San Luis Obispo to see if the guitar I want is in stock.

SamASH at Canoga Park, De Soto St.
Musician salesmen and women(long hair, tatoo, piercings...the whole getup) ...down to earth and knows the equipment.

CARVIN store at Hollywood
helped me picked out an amp stand....good customer service.

Note: Don't ask for suggestions and recommendations from these stores about vacuum tubes.....they sell it at a high price and don't know crap.
Child of the Blues!

Offline harmless

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 09:04:54 AM »
I called up a music store in Baguio City to inquire
on a guitar i saw there once.

the conversation goes like this
harmless: good morning sir, meron pa ba kayo available na &%$@# at mgkano?
salesman: meron sir, pero mahal!

wow what an answer, last november 2005 lng nangyari

Audiophile Dagupan City Branch
They were very accomodating, even though i told them i
was just asking for prices and availability of an ibanez i saw online
they even called up their Manila office to see if they had that model,
they even offered to order it for me cause they didnt have it.

Musician's Corner Dagupan City
good customer service, even though i was just browsing.

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 10:21:01 AM »
Haven't really had a chance to visit the music stores there in PI when I was there (very long time ago) but from what I've read here and in different forums seems like the sales people doesn't really want any business. Most of the comments about them sales people are either arrogant or rude and un helpfull. Not a good way to run a business.

I have to agree with boss Phil. I guess it's different here in L.A. Most, if not all, of the music stores have nice and accomodating sales people (the girls look nice as well, hehe :twisted: ). They will even let you try their expensive gear providing you ask them first. They're not discriminating towards customers. During summer I go Guitar Center in my long shorts, flip-flops (tsinelas) or Jesus sandals (sandalyas), and sando. They treat me the same way as anybody else that walks in the store. You don't even have to buy anything. Could it be because they work on commision here? Hmm... well... whatever... they still treat their customer right.

Offline markflo

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 02:50:33 PM »
stores i hate:
the main audiophile...yabang nung isang guy dun...y'all probably know who he is, so i ain't gonna mention names...tropa ko yung utol niya eh...hehe...sayang...bait pa naman utol nun...oh well...

3r's music school, bf....tatanong muna sayo kung may balak ka bilhin...hassle...tapos yung nabubulok nilang gear, nangangalawang na, brand new price parin...

yamaha in southmall...parang alang umaasikaso sayo dun...

lahat ng guitar center except sherman oaks, northridge, hollywood, cerritos...epal yung mga lintik na emo na yan sa GC kakainis pumorma

lahat ng sam ash pwera lang yung asa walnut ba yun? or rowland heights...ah, atsaka yung asa sunset, ayos din...

mesa hollywood...why do they allow idiots to run such a beautiful amp store???
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline markflo

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 02:55:26 PM »
now for the stores i luuuuuuuuuv...heheh

jb music...this is where it all began...sabi sakin nung pumipili ako ng first amp ko nung12 years old ako..."ok tong amp na to...pwede mo pang upuuan"

ako naman: uy ma! ayos na ayos yan ah! PWEDE PA UPUAN! bilin na natin!

bwahahah

perfect pitch ermita (robinson's place)...home of eternal now!
perfect pitch makati
rj...i dunno why...i just like 'em

guitar center sherman oaks....da hookups!
guitar center hollywood...laid back atmosphere...i like it...friendly people
guitar center northridge...pretty new, so no as$h0le$ yet...hehehe
rockit music, brea, ca...i like the people there...they let me try everything! with explanation of gear features pa! no pressure to buy

styles music, pomona, ca...this is my fav'rit...i actually don't mind buying full price from them coz they're the friendliest people around...

rondo music is pretty cool...they're the ones who distribute essex guitars, i think...hehehe

yun nalang muna for now...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 04:09:58 PM »
3R Music school along Aguire Ave sa BF Paranaque, Markflo?

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 04:43:10 PM »
Perfect Pitch Ermita (Rob Place) is probably the best branch that I've seen so far from Yupangco.
When I went there to look for a new acoustic guitar, Ryan (the salesman) was so accomodating, even if he knew I was just gonna test some guitars.
I actually bought the guitar the following day.

Bsta....ang bait nila dun. Kahit yung PR nila...

Offline markflo

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 12:21:42 AM »
Quote from: BP_Lizard

yup that's the one! that's where i studied guitar...hehehe...

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 12:36:27 AM »
Bro, taga BF Paranaque ako dati kaya alam ko yan. Meron pa nga dung kulay green na gitara na hindi mabenta-benta di ba? LOL.

Offline markflo

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006, 12:38:17 AM »
hahah oo pare!
asa YM ka ba men? ano YM mo?

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2006, 01:11:15 AM »
Quote from: markflo
stores i hate:
never been there.....bunch of idiots huh......thats funny. :D

I only go to the store next door down....SOLID eh. :D
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 01:53:33 AM »
hahah oo pare!
asa YM ka ba men? ano YM mo?

PM'd you my handle, men. Tapusin ko lang tong mga gawaing bahay, la-login ako.
Phil and Dan, paki PM yung YM hadles nyo para madagdag ko kayo.

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2006, 02:20:00 AM »
Quote from: Phil
stores i hate:
never been there.....bunch of idiots huh......thats funny. :D

I only go to the store next door down....SOLID eh. :D

I must agree, Mesa Sunset is kinda snobish. I just go there to look at the gears, specially when they used to have Andersons and Groshs. I feel intimidated to try anything there. Although, there was this 1 good salesman before a few years back named Jimbo Head. He used to work at West L.A. music. I knew him way back then because he was the one who sold me my first decent amp head.  guess he's moved on now coz' don't see him anymore.

Another store that at first seems kinda snobish but isn't is Carvin Holly (sorry Phil). They will just let you walk around and not offer any help or assistance unless you ask them too. Then again, I usually just go there to browse and try out gears and not to buy, hehe. The last thing I need is a salesperson up in my face bugging me, hehe. The good side about them is that they are nice enough to let you try out they're gears in the back room and nice enough to talk to, not just sales talk but real musicians talk. I guess snob for the first impression but down to earth afterwards.

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006, 02:24:29 AM »
People... PM me your YM IM. Tnx.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006, 03:17:29 AM »
Good stores:
 (local):
Perfect Pitch Ermita, Audiophile Alabang, Perfect Pitch Megamall... very friendly and accommodating staff!

(abroad):
Tommy Lee Hong Kong = lots of choices, first time ko makapunta sa guitar store na abroad kaya memorable tong store na to hehe
Guitar Center Tukwila/Seattle = great deals, gives discounts/freebies
SamAsh Raleigh = good crowd, lots of jazz players who hang out there
SamAsh Las Vegas = always has stock of items

Bad stores:
JB Music Southmall = mayabang na maangas yung manager dito! tingin sa lahat ng tao walang pera.. magpapaquote lang ng PRS, etc. kala mo inaaksaya lang yung panahon nya
Perfect Pitch Southmall = sold me a Gibson Les Paul Standard with LOTS of damage without even telling me! they told me that they'll just deliver the guitar to my house and when they did, that's when i saw the body scratches and binding cracks. i returned it instead for a full refund
Guitar Center Charlotte = sold me some defective pedals, i had to wait till my next trip there to have em replaced
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline josecuervo06

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2006, 05:29:43 PM »

dyan din ako nag guitar lessons.. cnu teacher mo mark?

BP san ka sa pque?
coz im a voodoo child...

Offline josecuervo06

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2006, 05:32:25 PM »
stores i like... Perfect pitch ermita( RP), PP(makati).. jb music alabang..
stores i dont like.. isang music center sa may recto, angas ng mga tao dun eh... "bibili ka ba o hindi???"...... e tumitingin lng ako.. pfft! :twisted:
coz im a voodoo child...

Offline pinkybrief

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2006, 07:52:37 PM »
good stores
guitar center san diego - pina try nila yung mga effects sa kin kahit d ako bibili, saka yung isang beses binigyan ako ng sang katutak na pick, d'addario lang pero ang bait eh

perfectpitch sa may malapit sa taft (nakalimutan ko yung branch) - nagtanong lang ako kung may patch cable sila, tapos kinausap na ako tungkol sa line 6, emg na pickup, toneworks, marshall (cool yun dreadlocke dude na yun)

bad stores/crappy salespeoplesss

audiophile sa may boni- bumili ako ng pickup tapos pina install ko tapos pagbalik ko patid na yung high E string ko (note: bagong lagay lang yung string yung time na yun)
tapos siningil ako ng 350 (note: 300 lang yung usapan namin)

tapos tinuturuan pa ko nung pano magtono ng floyd rose (note: 5 years ko nang gamit yung ibanez ko, bullsh*t d ba????)

tapos napilitan ako bumili ng bagong string, tinuro ko yung .12 na gauge na string, tapos NAGALIT PA! .09 lang daw yung gauge ng may mga floyd rose, tapos binenta din yung .12 na string, tapos biglang sinabi MARUNONG KA?! (kailangan kasi i-adjust yung spring sa likod kapag thicker gauge yung string) yung tone nya, parang sa isip nya walang alam sa gitara yung mga customer dun.
*shole dba???
tapos hindi binigay sa kin yung old pickup ko, bumalik pa ko para PAALALA sa kanya yung pickup ko..........  style nya bulok!

jb southmall - tama yung sinabi nung iba, tingin sa lahat ng tao walang pera.

shop sa may recto - bumili ng ng cheap ibanez yung gtarista ko, tapos sabi ko palitan nya na lang ng pickup, tapos biglang sumingit si mamang salesman sabi nya "d na kailangan magpalit ng pickup, maganda na yung pickup nyan"  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock: AHAHAHAHAHA!!! lam naman natin na most na mga bundled pickup sa gitara=crapsounds
Oo na, kayo na Diyos ng Philmusic

Offline pinkybrief

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2006, 07:59:19 PM »
Quote from: josecuervo06
stores i like... Perfect pitch ermita( RP), PP(makati).. jb music alabang..
stores i dont like.. isang music center sa may recto, angas ng mga tao dun eh... "bibili ka ba o hindi???"...... e tumitingin lng ako.. pfft! :twisted:

yung sa recto ba yung may "fat bastard na may patilya" yung tinutukoy mo, b*llsh*t yun! bibili na nga yung kasama ko dun, minamataan pa din kami
Oo na, kayo na Diyos ng Philmusic

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2006, 08:14:07 PM »
Quote from: pinkybrief

perfectpitch sa may malapit sa taft (nakalimutan ko yung branch) - nagtanong lang ako kung may patch cable sila, tapos kinausap na ako tungkol sa line 6, emg na pickup, toneworks, marshall (cool yun dreadlocke dude na yun)

You were referring to Perfect Pitch Robinson's Place.
The dreadlock guy is a really good salesperson, along with everyone else at that branch. You should see him when there aren't any customers around (maybe in the afternoon) - he plays the guitar, with effects pa. Then he has a keyboardist jamming with him. Magaling!  :D
Although I kinda forgot his name...Tanong ko nga next week...

Offline markflo

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2006, 02:48:41 AM »
Quote from: josecuervo06

dyan din ako nag guitar lessons.. cnu teacher mo mark?

BP san ka sa pque?

tatlo teacher ko dun eh...una si allan tenorio, tapos arnel something, tapos jonathan manuel ata...pero yung dalawang later ones, medyo useless eh...si allan tenorio ang teacher na cinoconsider ko. galing yun!

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2006, 04:17:53 AM »
stores i love:
1) yamaha sm north.. (mababait mga tao, pero yung mga kakilala ko umalis na eh :( )

2) audiophile main - si eric, yung head nila, ok naman.. sinamahan pa kami sa bangko para mag withdraw. hahaha

3) audiophile alimall (pero sayang, wala na si lito.. sya ang ok dun eh.. pero ngayon, oks din mga tao, mababait :) )

4) swee lee singapore - masaya tumingin tingin, tutulungan ka pa ng sales rep :)

5) some store sa virginia.. nakalimutan ko na.. simple lang na store..very accommodating.. dito ko nakuha mt2 ko..pero bnenta ko na. hehehe

6) guitar center nevada - masaya mga tao.. tapos karamihan may mga bigote..ang kulit tignan. hahaha.wla lang. pero 2002 pa huling bisita ko dun.

7) perfect pitch sm north (nun andun pa si sherwin)
8) perfect pitch alimall (mababait)
9) electronics depot galleria - masaya kausap mga tao dito

stores i hate:
1) JB music sm fairview - putcha mga nagbebenta dito, magtatanong ka lang, ang sungit pa sumagot. nakasimangot pa! taena.

2) jb music sm north - wala pakialam sa customer pwera lang pag nagpakita ka na ng pera. wala rin ganong alam yung mga tao tungkol sa mga produkto nila

3) perfect pitch megamall - urat mga tao dito. isang beses nagtanong ako kung magkano ax1500g, sabi ba naman "MAHAL". taena. tama ba yun??

yun lang...