hulika

Author Topic: Question on recording my guitar playing...  (Read 2410 times)

Offline hello_apocalypse

• Veteran Member
Question on recording my guitar playing...
« on: April 05, 2006, 10:26:29 PM »
what do you call that thing you use so that you can plug your guitar lead into your pc's microphone input thingy? (sorry if all my terms are wrong.) i wanna record my guitar playing properly instead of using a cheap mic, hehe. so yeah, i need to know what it's called so that i can buy one.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 11:09:22 PM »
you dont use any "thingy" to plug into a microphone jack on the PC. go get a proper guitar interface such as the Line 6 Guitar Line that uses a USB interface on the computer to record guitar. not only will you able to record guitar, you can jam to backing tracks, uses effects, and record a good guitar signal to use as a building block to make music on the computer.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline hello_apocalypse

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 06:11:09 PM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
you dont use any "thingy" to plug into a microphone jack on the PC. go get a proper guitar interface such as the Line 6 Guitar Line that uses a USB interface on the computer to record guitar. not only will you able to record guitar, you can jam to backing tracks, uses effects, and record a good guitar signal to use as a building block to make music on the computer.

really? :shock: i swear i used one back in music tech in college but i forgot what it was called... it was this little thing i plugged into the pc's mic jack and then i plugged my guitar's cable into it so that i could record. but anyway, ok, around how much is that thing you mentioned? sounds expensive, haha.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 06:18:07 PM »
there are a lot of choices floating around - check yoour local guitar store for an idea on how much these units cost brand new - if you can find one used, those might work out better for you if you go that route.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 06:21:35 PM »
You just need a DI box.

GUITAR-->D.I. Box-->PC SOUNDCARD LINE-IN

Now what will you use as your amp?  If you do VST instruments then try these free stuff:

http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

Offline kuyaneo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 08:08:59 PM »
sir baka ung sinasabi niyo ung 1/4 to 1/8 na jack? ung simpleng converter lagn para lumiit ung guitar jack mo

Offline hello_apocalypse

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 03:21:16 PM »
Quote from: kuyaneo
sir baka ung sinasabi niyo ung 1/4 to 1/8 na jack? ung simpleng converter lagn para lumiit ung guitar jack mo

ah! yun nga yata! so tawag dun 1/4 to 1/8 jack?