hulika

Author Topic: Urbandub - Influence (2003)  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Grado

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Urbandub - Influence (2003)
« on: September 10, 2008, 02:36:32 PM »

Got "Influence" yesterday while a thunderstorm hovers over. Was supposed to get "Under Southern Lights" but the record store didn't have them on stock. They also had "Birth" but I'm not so sure of getting 2 albums right away from a group I haven't intensively heard of before. I'd rather get "Steely Dan - Gaucho", which  is surprisingly available in the shop.  I read somewhere here in the Forums that "Influence" was good.

I first heard about Urbandub during a drinking session a few years ago. I thought the host was also on to punk indie, to my surprise he was playing OPM. The host was Cebuano and apparently Urbandub hails from this cool southern place. I should check it out I said to myself. After much delay I finally got an album from Urbandub.

My initial impressions: instrument work is very good, vocals average, mastering awful. I gave it numerous listens with intensive listening in between. Most of the tunes here seems to be catchy. If I heard right "Influence" showcases their "influences". I particularly liked track 1, 3, 6, 7. The album may seem monotonous because of the predictable build-ups. Still a solid record.

The first track delves into relationships and frustrations which most of the songs here are about, a good opening track. Second track, as usual great instrument work. There's awful distortion throughout the third track. Very unfortunate as I was unconsciously tapping my foot to the tune. Sixth track is full of emotions, lyrical goodness. Have you heard of a heavy reggae song? Well the seventh track is one. The line "You know he be playing our song" reminds me of the Australian movie "Bad Boy Bubby". Those backing vocals on track 8 cracks seems out of place.

Mastering was awful. Here are waveforms of the first track and the third track:

Clipping all over.

No clipping but audible distortion. Still heavy compression.

I'm sure they have improved since then. I'll try getting "Under Southern Lights" when I can get the chance. One of the most talented Filipino artists right now. I bet these guys sound awesome live.

Listening equipment:
Keces DA-151  >>  Cheap IC  >>  M-AUDIO AV40
Ipod Classic  >>  Mogami mini quad  >>  Corda 2MOVE   >>  Grado SR225
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 02:55:50 PM by Grado »

Unregistred_Musician

Re: Urbandub - Influence (2003)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 02:45:49 PM »
I like the embrace album. The one thing about urbandub that I like is the lyrical side of them.