hulika

Author Topic: "Risky" repertoire - good or bad?  (Read 2370 times)

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
"Risky" repertoire - good or bad?
« on: March 02, 2012, 10:57:31 PM »
I have a new band (my 1st jazz band actually) and we are going to have our 2nd gig ever this sunday.

Thing is, this is just our 2nd gig ever and the pianist who has played in our 1st gig (held last feb 24 lang) is not with us in this one . so basically iba yung pianist (and yes, the piano plays an important role in all the songs)

ALSO, the repertoire is quite RISKY. As in mahirap, ambitious pa nga if some would say. Baka magkalat kami and they will have the impression na halatang halata na bago kami. I dont know. I have this slight feeling of regret. HAHA! Should I just NOT care about the audience thinks and play lang?

I dont know, MOST jazz bands who will have their first gig (technically first ulit kasi different pianist) will go ahead with playing "known" and not too risky songs siguro like "The Chicken" or Cantaloupe. Am i a fool for choosing such songs (not so known + ambitious) and taking the risk?

Btw, sa sunday na yung gig and wala na kaming practice. hahaha.

Med student. Bassist. Jazz fan.

View my youtube videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/beabass

Offline hatfield110

Re: "Risky" repertoire - good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 11:25:35 PM »
I have a new band (my 1st jazz band actually) and we are going to have our 2nd gig ever this sunday.

Thing is, this is just our 2nd gig ever and the pianist who has played in our 1st gig (held last feb 24 lang) is not with us in this one . so basically iba yung pianist (and yes, the piano plays an important role in all the songs)

ALSO, the repertoire is quite RISKY. As in mahirap, ambitious pa nga if some would say. Baka magkalat kami and they will have the impression na halatang halata na bago kami. I dont know. I have this slight feeling of regret. HAHA! Should I just NOT care about the audience thinks and play lang?

I dont know, MOST jazz bands who will have their first gig (technically first ulit kasi different pianist) will go ahead with playing "known" and not too risky songs siguro like "The Chicken" or Cantaloupe. Am i a fool for choosing such songs (not so known + ambitious) and taking the risk?

Btw, sa sunday na yung gig and wala na kaming practice. hahaha.

Wag n'yo na isipin yung risk. Kung ano ang na-practice n'yo, yun ang tugtugin n'yo. And most importantly, enjoy the gig. It rubs off the audience when they see you perform w/o pressure. Pero pa'no kayo mag-eenjoy kung puro risk management ang iniisip n'yo haha :))

Offline GL2009

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 01:28:14 AM »
Just play and enjoy it...what matter is what the audience hear..people just listen and enjoy what they see and hear...we do not shout to the people what we play on the stage...i mean we don't tell the audience i'm playing aeolian flat 5th or phrygian major scale..they don care...what matter is what they hear...just show them what you got...and entertain them...he he he....'no sa palagay mo?

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 11:41:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. you are right. :) Malalaman nga ba nila kung nagkamali kami. haha. But i think mas okay parin yung malinis talaga. hahaha!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:51:56 PM by bea_rox »

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 11:58:15 PM »
But i think the gist of this thread says that is it better to choose songs that are rare and more complicated but hard/risky or the usual songs pero malinis.

Hmm.. pansin ko din pati known jazz acts na mga nyor tend to choose the known standards mostly PERO sobrang linis at ganda. hahaha.