hulika

Author Topic: RIP Jim Hall  (Read 2424 times)

Offline blackwingchai

• Forum Fanatic
MAKE ME SICK I MAKE MUSIC

Offline dannygatton

• Veteran Member
Re: RIP Jim Hall
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 12:45:16 PM »
We celebrate the life of Jim Hall-- a giant in jazz.  Less is more, few notes yet spot on with depth-- that is Jim Hall (RIP).

Hall was once quoted as saying, “Players should force themselves to hear something and then play it, rather than just do whatever comes under their fingers. I try to make my playing as fresh as possible by not relying on set patterns.”

His best work IMHO is "Jim Hall Live" (1975).  Listening to it right now and thanking God for Jim Hall.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 01:02:40 PM by dannygatton »

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 11:12:04 AM »
I got into classic jazz guitar after seeing him perform on TV. RPN 9 used to show musical performances taken from PBS in the US. This was one of those.

Offline klause

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 11:17:15 AM »
Another loss.
Well, yeah.

Offline bluesy_pt

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 02:08:34 PM »
The first Jim Hall song I heard was his version of "You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To" and he had been one of my favorite jazz guitar players ever since. RIP, Jim Hall. :-(

Offline dannygatton

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 04:38:13 PM »
The first Jim Hall song I heard was his version of "You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To" and he had been one of my favorite jazz guitar players ever since. RIP, Jim Hall. :-(

That is indeed a great version. Try listening also to J.Hall's versions of T.Monk's 'Round Midnight, and Scrapple from Apple too. Tonewise-- fat anf round from his ES175 P90s.