hulika

Author Topic: Why do you think Jazz isn't very popular?  (Read 10285 times)

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Why do you think Jazz isn't very popular?
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 02:59:17 PM »
a lot of jazz musicians or bands for that matter, dont connect with their audiences and usually take the stage either copying their idols moves or just playing their instrument for the sake of playing.

when you are onstage, you are playing a show. if you play for yourself, please stay out of the stage and stay in the bedroom.

Miles davis, Herbie Hancock, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Greg Howe, John Mclaughlin, Barney Kessel, Lennie Tristano, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie and a WHOLE SLEW OF OTHERS never really got into any of that stage presence [gooey brown stuff]. They connect through their MUSIC.

It's not ALL ABOUT THE THEATRICS. It's about the music. SADLY THOUGH, THERE ARE SO MANY DAMN PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO BOTHER LISTENING TO THE MUSIC AND THINK THAT IT ALWAYS HAS TO BE ABOUT THE SHOW.

Just look at the music scene now. Everyone's trying to compress sound and increase volume. If the music doesnt JUMP AT THEM, a lot of people won't bother to listen.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 03:02:03 PM by Lahed92801 »

william251082

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 03:08:48 PM »
Miles davis, Herbie Hancock, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Greg Howe, John Mclaughlin, Barney Kessel, Lennie Tristano, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie and a WHOLE SLEW OF OTHERS never really got into any of that stage presence [gooey brown stuff]. They connect through their MUSIC.

It's not ALL ABOUT THE THEATRICS. It's about the music. SADLY THOUGH, THERE ARE SO MANY DAMN PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO BOTHER LISTENING TO THE MUSIC AND THINK THAT IT ALWAYS HAS TO BE ABOUT THE SHOW.

Just look at the music scene now. Everyone's trying to compress sound and increase volume. If the music doesnt JUMP AT THEM, a lot of people won't bother to listen.
oy! tama 'to ah! Bill Evans doesn't have any stage presence too! hahahahahha :-D

william251082

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 04:28:45 AM »
People find it better if every tiny bit of information is spoon fed to them. In other words, they feel more comfortable lying in front of the TV. :-D

Offline dungsdai

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 02:28:34 PM »
gusto ko talagang matuto tumugtog ng jazz, dati pa.
"u dont have to prove anything, if u dont brag about anything" -dungsdai

william251082

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2008, 02:03:55 AM »
Jazz isn't popular cause you don't have guys wearing makeup and girl pants, pyrotechnics, attractive girls with the latest dance moves, large multinational corporations promoting the crap out of it to the sheeps who gobble it up, these corporations should know that true musical talent is irreplacable. Britney, boy bands, self-centered rap guys, crappy rock and metal bands can easily be replaced by people who are younger and prettier. Popular music (not all) is more image than the music itself. I think it is sad that most people never really discover and experience of actual MUSIC.

Sorry for the rant...

« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 02:06:06 AM by william251082 »

Offline Helmet

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2008, 02:09:19 AM »
Generation gap

william251082

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2008, 02:09:16 PM »
Mozart, perhaps the world's greatest musical genius, died in an unknown, mass pauper's grave. Meanwhile, Britney Spears has 100 million dollars. In the battle between art and commerce, commerce usually wins. (In a shallow kinda way) :|

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2008, 04:03:58 PM »

when i say "connect with the audience" i didn't mean wearing marilyn manson make-up, strapping on a Ace Frehley guitar (the one that shoots fireworks), and replaying the battle scene of 300 ...

Connecting with the audience is emotional, and yes, even with just standing like a willow tree, you can actually achieve that ...

watch this video of stanley jordan's rendition of Stairway to Heaven:

then watch this unplugged set of Pearl Jam's Black:

then Slayer's Disciple:

all different music genres... all have one thing in common ... Audience connection. That's one of the reasons why they are succesful. and nope, i dont think you can find any Marilyn Manson make-up or Emo stage stunts there...

And yeah, i love this clip too... (if you dont feel like dancing to that you are dead, hehe) :

i wont give you examples of "bad audience connection" cause all you have to do is turn on the TV or go to gigs... they are very common. even those who do all the "Stage Pyrotechnics" ... they bore the crap out of me because i dont think they know what they are singing about nor do they have any message they are trying to convey. Either just a bunch of kids with guitars doing mechanical things or some old guy just demonstrating a bunch of scales and harmonies along to a time signature.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 04:10:28 PM by IncX »

william251082

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2008, 02:45:25 PM »
when i say "connect with the audience" i didn't mean wearing marilyn manson make-up, strapping on a Ace Frehley guitar (the one that shoots fireworks), and replaying the battle scene of 300 ...

Connecting with the audience is emotional, and yes, even with just standing like a willow tree, you can actually achieve that ...

watch this video of stanley jordan's rendition of Stairway to Heaven:

then watch this unplugged set of Pearl Jam's Black:

then Slayer's Disciple:

all different music genres... all have one thing in common ... Audience connection. That's one of the reasons why they are succesful. and nope, i dont think you can find any Marilyn Manson make-up or Emo stage stunts there...

And yeah, i love this clip too... (if you dont feel like dancing to that you are dead, hehe) :

i wont give you examples of "bad audience connection" cause all you have to do is turn on the TV or go to gigs... they are very common. even those who do all the "Stage Pyrotechnics" ... they bore the crap out of me because i dont think they know what they are singing about nor do they have any message they are trying to convey. Either just a bunch of kids with guitars doing mechanical things or some old guy just demonstrating a bunch of scales and harmonies along to a time signature.

tama 'tong pag connect sa audience pre! kaya hindi sikat ang jazz ay dahil din sa mga talented musicians pero mayayabang na snobs naman! tama lang na huwag silang panoorin! haahahahaa!

william251082

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 01:01:04 AM »
Because of some talented musician but are self-centered snobs! It's just soooo right the nobody listen to them! hahahaaha;-) If you're telling a story you have to connect to somebody you're telling it with i.e. the audience. Otherwise just tell your story to yourself!;-) Honestly, I'd rather just listen to some good pop musician who plays from the heart than those virtuoso snobs!

Music is for everybody who's open enough to accept and listen to it.

Offline namida

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 09:29:16 PM »
Sometimes, jazz can be too much music for some folks. Just like anything, some dig it, some don't. As for the connection part, Ted Greene once said in correspondence that people like to be connected with from below their brains or something to that effect. There is always a choice. You try to be clever or you try to reevaluate your purpose in playing music and once and for all accept the underlying facts why people aren't tapping their toes to your tune, and then try to reach out to those folks...  :-)
"Ano man ang iyong ginagawa sa iyong kapatid, ay siya ring ginagawa mo sa akin" --Yano

Home Recordings ->> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=480230  My Band ->>

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2008, 11:01:44 PM »
This question made me think.  Hindi ba in the same manner that grunge, heavy metal, disco, *insert whatever genre you could think of*, etc. was/is identified with a certain generation, Jazz was identified with a certain generation as well?  Though each genre has its own "product life cycle" (to borrow a phrase from MBA-speak), the length of those cycles vary significantly.  Some were short (disco?), some just evolved over time.  I think jazz is more of the latter.  I guess just like any "fad", patrons latch-on in step with the genre's life cycle, then after the shake-out as the genre ceases to be the "flavor of the month", all you're left with are the afficionados who stick to it through thick or thin.  There will be many reasons why you can't get a boatload of jazz converts as compared to the current genre-of-the-month.  Either way, I'd rather have a smaller audience composed of those who appreciate the genre and those who take pains to understand it, rather than a large group of half-assed souls who don't take steps to move the genre forward.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:02:46 PM by Jaco D »

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2008, 11:39:42 PM »
siguro same reason kung bakit hindi natin magets ang dahilan ng mga "taktak listeners" (mga laging nakikinig ng novelty/pop/street/patok najeepney) kung bakit hindi sila nakikinig o mahilig makinig ng jazz.

.. sana nagets nyo :lol:
Pare1: Pare, bat naman hanggang ngayon wala ka pang syota? wala ka pa<br />bang napupusuan?<br />Pare2: Meron.. Manhid ka lang!<br /><br />heegad.multiply.com

Offline the_godfather

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2008, 04:57:45 AM »
Mas trip kasi ng pinoy yung music na catchy. tsaka 1 factor siguro eh most jazz records are instrumental talaga. may mga jazz musicians na kumakanta pero not that catchy. Believe it or not nung di pa'ko matured sa music because of young age and I'm not exposed to jazz, gusto ko yung kanta ni george benson na In Your Eyes, a very catchy tune. Akalo ko tulad nya sila luther vandross or peabo bryson na singer lang. Jazz guitarist pala.
You...Soft and Lonely, You...Lost and Lonely, You...Just Like Heaven

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2008, 01:18:03 PM »
^hahahaha!^
 :-D
Pare1: Pare, bat naman hanggang ngayon wala ka pang syota? wala ka pa<br />bang napupusuan?<br />Pare2: Meron.. Manhid ka lang!<br /><br />heegad.multiply.com

Offline kahel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2008, 02:03:16 AM »
you have to concentrate to listen to jazz, follow every note to appreciate

Offline John...

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2008, 01:08:19 PM »
EVERY musician has its own stages of appreciating music and sounds, specially b4 they internalise it, (respeto nalang sa ibang music) every sound is a music kahit katok sa pinto, tunog ng sapatos.. its music,,,

Why do you think Jazz isn't very popular?

kasi madaming tao marunong lang makinig hindi mag internalise,

MALALIM KASI ANG JAZZ AT MADAMING MABABAW NA TAO...

JOHN C...

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2008, 12:05:43 AM »
This question made me think.  Hindi ba in the same manner that grunge, heavy metal, disco, *insert whatever genre you could think of*, etc. was/is identified with a certain generation, Jazz was identified with a certain generation as well?  Though each genre has its own "product life cycle" (to borrow a phrase from MBA-speak), the length of those cycles vary significantly.  Some were short (disco?), some just evolved over time.  I think jazz is more of the latter.  I guess just like any "fad", patrons latch-on in step with the genre's life cycle, then after the shake-out as the genre ceases to be the "flavor of the month", all you're left with are the afficionados who stick to it through thick or thin.  There will be many reasons why you can't get a boatload of jazz converts as compared to the current genre-of-the-month.  Either way, I'd rather have a smaller audience composed of those who appreciate the genre and those who take pains to understand it, rather than a large group of half-assed souls who don't take steps to move the genre forward.

I guess jazz used to be the "flavor of the month", but I don't think that was the straight-up jazz that the legends originally played - i think that was like their "pop" jazz before. I remember reading that Wes had to go "pop" because her wife can't dance to his tunes; but listening to his "pop" tunes, it still sounds jazzy. However, after listening closely to his straight-up jazz tunes, I can see the difference with their pop-jazz and the straight-up jazz. I guess the straight-up jazz was never really famous.

But then again, most of the other genres didn't really become VERY famous either - all genres just have a certain crowd. For example - Incubus wasn't really extremely famous except after the "wish you were here" and "are you in?" song.  That's when you hear them on radio - but then again, most rock fans would call them sell-outs. But the pop-culture considers that rock.

But don't despair, at least our country has Sitti to promote jazz (Latin jazz that is).

:|

You see, for most people, she is the authentic Latin jazz. But who are we to say that she isn't?  :-D

The sad part of reality is, if we aren't going to be sell-outs, we won't be famous for all - well, maybe just for some. And it doesn't matter whether you are into jazz, rock, punk, classical, soul, etc.

So if you're really good, at least you'd be famous in the jazz community (which is extremely difficult to do.) If you're going to sell-out, and be somewhat good in playing music, and have good looks or be funny (although not always a necessity) - at least you'd be famous to the pop community, and have lots of money. Hmmm... Think of that logic... :?

Just my thoughts.  :-D

william251082

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2008, 06:12:50 PM »
Because everybody acts like everybodyelse, it's  much more easier than figuring out deep inside what you really want!

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2008, 01:55:44 AM »
you have to concentrate to listen to jazz, follow every note to appreciate

just wanna ask, are you a member of the band kahel? :D

Offline ibysdad

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2008, 09:00:54 AM »
 jazz doesn't have that much media exposure here in the Philippines, been to other countries like Indonesia and Singapore and I have been listening to the radio and watching their TV programs, there are jazz nights, jazz radio stations there are classical radio stations, very nice.

Offline guitarpie

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2008, 03:34:33 AM »
Because jazz is mostly musician's music..
(",)

Offline TimeFragments

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2008, 03:41:06 AM »
complex song structure, the understand jazz is to understand music theories, how to apply them and how to create one without sounding just like the other jazzers out there. Imo, a music that is more on listening and trying to think about how its played rather than hopping and running around just like how the normal pop songs give out. Odd time signatures. Im a big fan of this music..and still on the middle or should i say starting to understand how it is composed. Not a lot people would want to listen and think. Some prefer to just listen.
I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down

william251082

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2008, 03:28:54 PM »
Dahil sa mga walang feel na player!!!

I must admit, the first time I heard live jazz in the Philippines, I didn't like it! Sabi ko, ano ba yan bakit parang typewritter yata ang tunog nung nag gigitara! whahaha! I'd rather listen to Satriani than that man!

All that changed when I heard George Benson, John Scofield, Pat Metheny and all the great horn players...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 01:18:33 PM by william251082 »