hulika

Author Topic: Is Nirvana really Grunge?  (Read 13575 times)

Online haha

Re: Is Nirvana really Grunge?
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2012, 04:08:12 PM »
Alice in Chains is known as a hair metal turned grunge band.. But they sound heavier than their co-grunge artist.. hehe
"My Master, Thank you for putting music in my life."

Offline IncX

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2012, 11:44:59 AM »
there never really was "grunge" music... it was just a marketing term created to describe the Seattle sound, which is just as stupid as pigeon-holing the sound of manila based bands to a music genre.

take for example:
nirvana
mudhoney
soundgarden
STP
Alice in Chains

do they sound similar? ... yet they are called "grunge" ...

personally, i just call them hard rock, or 90's rock.

Online haha

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2012, 11:55:02 AM »
there never really was "grunge" music... it was just a marketing term created to describe the Seattle sound, which is just as stupid as pigeon-holing the sound of manila based bands to a music genre.

take for example:
nirvana
mudhoney
soundgarden
STP
Alice in Chains

do they sound similar? ... yet they are called "grunge" ...

personally, i just call them hard rock, or 90's rock.

I have to agree to this.. Hehehe.. It goes the same way with calling an all-male pop group as Boy Band..
"My Master, Thank you for putting music in my life."

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2012, 02:28:20 AM »
Grunge = label created by the media. Hindi rin magkakatunog lahat ng mga bands which came from Seattle during the 90's. "Dark Punk" is how I would personally describe Nirvana's music.

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2012, 04:17:04 AM »
pearl jam, nirvana 90's EMO

alice in chains, soundgarden 90's modern hard rock

mudhoney 90's modern punk rock

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2012, 09:06:14 AM »
thrash metal killer - yan ang dapat itawag sa grunge hehehe
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2012, 05:16:39 PM »
You can say Nirvana is 90s alternative rock.  Think about it this way, there's this grey area in the early to mid 90s where it makes sense for fans to like loud, dirty music in general. Dinosaur Jr., the Dambuilders, Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, the Melvins, all of them (or at least, most of them) take root in the late eighties and early nineties. It's the environment surrounding them that makes them identifiable. That whole touring circuit. Grunge is a stupid term that encompassed one scene in that whole cluster of musical offshoots. Kurt went to Metallica shows dressed in a Vaselines shirt and hung out with Dinosaur Jr. and the Melvins. Says enough about his background.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline stompnoise

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2012, 04:27:56 AM »
The term grunge may refer more to the attitude and aesthetics more than the sound. As far as I'm concerned, Pearl Jam is blues based rock just like G'n'R, they just dress differently.

Offline silverbolt1097

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2012, 10:23:07 AM »

Tama!!! May it be alternative or grunge, pareho lang yan.  :-D
I am the dark side of you

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2012, 01:48:40 AM »
thrash hair metal killer - yan ang dapat itawag sa grunge hehehe
Fix'd. Thrash/speed metal is still very much alive & thriving.

Offline xmelancoholicx

« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2012, 04:24:15 PM »
grunge imo is just a label, parang post-hardcore, post-punk, post-ganito ganyan. walang definite at concrete na genre yung sound ng mga "grunge" bands kaya inimbentuhan nila ng genre. imo it's actually a mix of punk/metal/tamang alternative rock lang. diba?

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2012, 09:32:52 AM »

hahaha
try mo kayang kalabitin baka tumunog...

Offline Indie_Boy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2012, 06:22:02 PM »
according to source, Grunge isn't a real genre. It was made up by record companies trying to put a label on something they couldn't understand. I believe Nirvana started as a punk band.

Offline nitroaurora

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2012, 06:05:48 PM »
You can say Nirvana is 90s alternative rock.  Think about it this way, there's this grey area in the early to mid 90s where it makes sense for fans to like loud, dirty music in general. Dinosaur Jr., the Dambuilders, Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, the Melvins, all of them (or at least, most of them) take root in the late eighties and early nineties. It's the environment surrounding them that makes them identifiable. That whole touring circuit. Grunge is a stupid term that encompassed one scene in that whole cluster of musical offshoots. Kurt went to Metallica shows dressed in a Vaselines shirt and hung out with Dinosaur Jr. and the Melvins. Says enough about his background.
yeah, i remember watching an interview with Kirk Hammet saying he saw Kurt Cobain on on of their show yelling to him "are you going to play For Whom The Bell Tolls?"...
Successful transactions with: Ryan Peralta, MarkV, Geloboy25, Teleclem, Tristan, Dhe (Dwelo_Axeman from PGT), Nickson, Jhule77, Robinissad, Zyehj, Roei03, Anyrandomhole, J3tayag, Samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2012, 10:16:07 AM »
yeah, i remember watching an interview with Kirk Hammet saying he saw Kurt Cobain on on of their show yelling to him "are you going to play For Whom The Bell Tolls?"...

Wait, I think I remember that. Wasn't he asking for Whiplash?
Offset guitars for life.

Offline nitroaurora

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2012, 11:27:22 AM »
hmm... uu yata  :eek:, i think i'm wrong hehehe, thanks for correcting me bro  :wave:
Successful transactions with: Ryan Peralta, MarkV, Geloboy25, Teleclem, Tristan, Dhe (Dwelo_Axeman from PGT), Nickson, Jhule77, Robinissad, Zyehj, Roei03, Anyrandomhole, J3tayag, Samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2012, 11:29:32 AM »
grunge imo is just a label, parang post-hardcore, post-punk, post-ganito ganyan. walang definite at concrete na genre yung sound ng mga "grunge" bands kaya inimbentuhan nila ng genre. imo it's actually a mix of punk/metal/tamang alternative rock lang. diba?

Actually, post-punk and post-hardcore actually DO have a sound.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline officebiker

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2012, 01:53:18 AM »
pa OT, during those years naalala nyo ba yung thriving Chicago scene? Pumpkins, Popes, Local H, Veruca Salt at yung paborito kong FIG DISH.

btt, nirvana looking at them live, i see them as punk talaga e,
If you feel offended, post your grievances using a phone made by a 10 year old in China.

Offline lundai

« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2012, 02:46:14 AM »
Avery97 has the best explanation for this issue...thanks bro!!!! that was cooollll!!!!