hulika

Author Topic: USB playback vs. HDMI playback  (Read 3208 times)

Offline hunk0429

• Philmusicus Addictus
USB playback vs. HDMI playback
« on: November 27, 2013, 10:05:58 AM »
guys,

recently got a LED TV 29" (dont ask the brand since its not branded  :wave: )

anyway, i noticed that when playing movies via its USB port, the quality is not that great. i even tried playing 1080p movies, same quality. but here's what ive noticed. those demo video they played on all their led tv, it has a great detail on quality. then i noticed that its played via HDMI hub (multiple HDMI connection on all their LED tvs).

does it really matter if its played direct via USB or should i need to buy those media players that has HDMI connection; i would then connect my harddrive to that media player.

any thoughts? :?

Offline maruzen

• Forum Fanatic
Re: USB playback vs. HDMI playback
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 10:24:53 PM »
I think if you use the USB port for the movie the TV will have to use the internal chip to play the movie whereas using the HDMI means you are using an external player to decode the movie. the playback quality is directly based on the chip that is decoding/playing the movie.

maybe the TV chip that decodes the movie isn't that good compared to the external media player used at those stores for demos.

I noticed a similar problem when I used a Measy player and my PC with an Nvidia 8800GT videocard. both are HDMI out. the Measy showed jagged stuff while the PC movies are amazing. these are 1080p movies as well. that's when I learned that the decoder really has a significant part in the playback of media files.     
FS: Effects Pedals, Blackstar HT5-R - http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=302374.0

Offline hunk0429

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 08:11:06 AM »
I think if you use the USB port for the movie the TV will have to use the internal chip to play the movie whereas using the HDMI means you are using an external player to decode the movie. the playback quality is directly based on the chip that is decoding/playing the movie.

maybe the TV chip that decodes the movie isn't that good compared to the external media player used at those stores for demos.

I noticed a similar problem when I used a Measy player and my PC with an Nvidia 8800GT videocard. both are HDMI out. the Measy showed jagged stuff while the PC movies are amazing. these are 1080p movies as well. that's when I learned that the decoder really has a significant part in the playback of media files.   

wow! thanks for sharing!
now i know that it has nothing to do with being played via HDMI! i actually tried googling this question myself but didnt get any helpful websites.

also, maybe it has something to do with bitrate of the movie? ill try to find a 4gb 1080p movie, let me try to check if that will play with great detail.

oh btw, i noticed that audio when playing movies via its usb port is MONO.

NOTE to myself - dont get measy!  :wave:

Offline maruzen

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 09:54:26 PM »
wow! thanks for sharing!
now i know that it has nothing to do with being played via HDMI! i actually tried googling this question myself but didnt get any helpful websites.

also, maybe it has something to do with bitrate of the movie? ill try to find a 4gb 1080p movie, let me try to check if that will play with great detail.

oh btw, i noticed that audio when playing movies via its usb port is MONO.

NOTE to myself - dont get measy!  :wave:

hi bro thanks for sharing your observations regarding TV USB playback of movies. the Measy model we got did not have a great decode chip but it was really cheap. VGA cards really offer great resolution, as well as the PS3. No complaints on playback using those units. And these were movies with 1080p resolution in the 10gb size. 
FS: Effects Pedals, Blackstar HT5-R - http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=302374.0

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 01:14:09 AM »
kelangan talaga yung HDMI hub para HD.. yung sa pinsan ko ang laki ng TV, tapos nakakabit eh "cignal cable", stretched yung resolution, kaya bumili pa siya nung HDMI cable para maging HD!
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline hunk0429

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 09:49:10 AM »
anyone who can help me decide which media player to buy?

please reply to my other thread: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=306490.0

:wave: