hulika

Author Topic: Do you always spend $$$ in setting up your guitars?  (Read 4447 times)

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
Do you always spend $$$ in setting up your guitars?
« on: August 15, 2012, 11:40:33 AM »
or you finally learned how to adjust action, intonation, change pickups, etc.

i understand, yung iba takot galawin yung guitar pag mamahalin pero pay P500 for intonation? ganun ba talaga kahirap mag intonate?

change of nut here costs P2k pesos.... sakit sa bulsa.

Offline Ryn

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Do you always spend $$$ in setting up your guitars?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 11:47:46 AM »
Basic to intermediate setup, usually I do it by myself except for pickup changes, medyo alanganin ako maghinang.

Now for the intonation, hindi siya ganun kahirap but it needs a trained ear to do it. I myself do not rely on a tuner solely when intonating my guitars, aside from that it is time consuming. Try to intonate a floyd-rose equipped guitar and you'll know what I mean.

Offline kernelsalonpas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 11:49:38 AM »

intonation is easy peasy.

adjust height kinakapa ko na lang san ako komportable. naiinis lang ako ngaun nawala ung 1/2" ko na allen...

now for other stuff.... nagpapaturo ako kay jentsen para makatipid. mahal dito eh  :-D
no pic, no advise...

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 11:55:20 AM »
Try to intonate a floyd-rose equipped guitar and you'll know what I mean.

buti na lang wala ako floyd guitar  :lol:

nasasayangan lang ako sa pera for basic set up, oh well, pag marami namang pera ok lang yun  :wink:

Offline kernelsalonpas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 12:20:14 PM »
ah sa floyd kay mark na lang ako papaturo  :-D ginawa ko dati un sa unang gitara, di ko na maibalik. tapos dito sa isa ko ngaun nagpatulong ako langya ang hirap gawin. katakot...  :eek:
no pic, no advise...

Offline TagaRetiro

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 12:25:31 PM »
wala kasi masyadong budget to have my guitars set-up by luthiers T.T kaya tiis tiis nlng ako sa config ng mga gitara ko ngayon haha

Yung truss rod hindi ko ginagalaw kasi natatakot ako baka masira ko lang.

May konting idea lang ako about setting up the intonation. Any tips on how to intonate a guitar properly? Ang ginagawa ko kasi nakatuner lang tapso inaadjust ko hanggang nasa tune lahat ng frets. Ok na ba yung ganun?

Offline GNOB29

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
Mahirap kasi makipagsapalaran pagdating sa gitara mas malaki ang gastos kapag nasira kesa ipagawa sa marunong.

i already dispose here: Fender Strat 50th Anniversary Made in U.S, Fender Strat MIJ Reverse Headstock, Epiphone Firebird, Godin Acoustic, Octave OC2, XBOX 360.

My Gear: Hamer Vector, Fender Strat 57ri, Warlock and my Pedalboard...

Offline mojoefly

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 12:37:12 PM »
Some luthiers just have that magic touch. Setting intonation isn't just simply matching the 12 fret harmonic to the 12 fret depressed note. Truss rod adjustment, nut height, pickup height, saddle height and other factors all have to be precise so the touch (action and tension of strings)  and intonation is great all through out the fretboard.

I just had some guitars set up but because of the humidity these days, the set up was altered. Will have to fine tune them again myself. Sayang binayad ko recently.  :cry:  So kung minor adjustments lang, I suggest you guys do it yourself muna. The air is too moist.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 12:40:36 PM by mojoefly »

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 12:38:15 PM »
Basic set-up and soldering, I can do it. Refret and others that require tools i don't have, I take it to micsis.  :-D

Offline BOOGIE_79

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 12:44:35 PM »
gusto ko magpa-setup ng gitara matagal na kaso namamahalan ako. i'd like to think na sinuswerte lang ako kasi both guitars i bought brand new were setup very well out of the box. aside from that i have this feeling na pag dinala ko siya sa luthier madaming ipo-point out na mali sa setup.

Offline juan_alderete

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 01:03:57 PM »
I do basic setups only on fender guitar. but on les paul/sg I can't seem the grasp how to do it correctly..  :lol:

Offline cjsantos

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 01:06:58 PM »
I do, I'm not complaining though. But I do want to learn how to do it.

How about somebody conduct a (mini) workshop?  :)

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 01:30:05 PM »
i understand, yung iba takot galawin yung guitar pag mamahalin pero pay P500 for intonation? ganun ba talaga kahirap mag intonate?
It's hard to say. But based on my observation, many of us underestimate how difficult it is to actually get it. I've seen it a number of times -- guitar players confident with how they intonated their own guitars. But the moment they start soloing over the high frets... ayaw ko na makinig, lalo na pag band setting.

I've seen it lead to people blaming the hardware and/or the electronics as well. This leads to pickup upgrades and whatnot. When that happens, many players don't have the sense to be particular with height and polepiece adjustments either. They end up with souped up, yet still bad sounding guitars. When that happens, for some people, it's off to the Guitar Classifieds!  :wave:

We are lucky here in the Philippines. We have bonafide luthiers who charge for peanuts, unlike in other countries where they would've made a fortune doing what they do. I say take advantage of it. And if possible, learn from them. Then just maybe, we can start getting the hang of set up fundamentals.

gusto ko magpa-setup ng gitara matagal na kaso namamahalan ako. i'd like to think na sinuswerte lang ako kasi both guitars i bought brand new were setup very well out of the box.
I've seen so many new guitars. Nearly all of them needed at least some degree of tweaking. In my experience with my own gear, isang beses pa lang ako nakabili ng bagong gitara na wala nang gusto galawin yung luthier ko. That eventually didn't happen either, because I had pickups installed and more importantly, our nice Philippine climate wreaked havoc on its bracing. So ayun, major repair and setup din in the end.

Still, I'm in no position to doubt your assessment. Maybe you really are lucky.

aside from that i have this feeling na pag dinala ko siya sa luthier madaming ipo-point out na mali sa setup.

Medyo masakit nga sa pride. I know the feeling. But this is actually a good thing. Even if you opt not to have it set up. At least you can try studying what is wrong on your own. You still might not be able to correct things on your own. You might even ruin your guitar if you try too hard. But at least you have a chance of understanding the theory behind it.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 06:04:18 PM »

Bring yer guitars to Max Rufo and you won't see these numbers. :razz: :idea:
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 08:12:34 PM »

Dito 300 pesos, 8-10 nuts na, may bulalo pa.

I learned. It's fun kasi.
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 08:57:08 PM »
Dito 300 pesos, 8-10 nuts na, may bulalo pa.

I learned. It's fun kasi.

Ah yes! The bulalo nut.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline metalheadz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 09:04:21 PM »
learned except for pickups. I am too afraid to touch the electronic part of the guitar since i have sweaty hands :drool:
Psalm 119:105
Colossians 2:8
"We love because he first loved us." - 1 John 4:19

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 12:30:55 AM »
@mojoefly / Al - you guys nailed it.

I spend money to get the right setup, because it is not as simple as tuning the 12th fret harmonic with the 12th fretted note as mojoefly pointed out.

But I do sometimes tinker with my guitars (and others' guitars) to learn.  When I setup for my friends, I still do tell them to go to luthiers to have the "right" setup.  Right setup means right notes ringing all over the fretboard, great playablity and feel (radius match, right string tension, pickup balance, string balance).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 12:39:26 AM by markcasq »

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 03:58:56 AM »
the only thing i spend now is time..and the time spent to gain the knowledge is well worth it,

Offline CrippledLucifer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 09:00:32 AM »
yup. ang hassle masyado ng floyd rose..hahaha!  :lol:
Transactions: KASALANAN, goodysaises_03, Nitrix, Xelly, glassjoe, Red_Strat, BossingBoss, Stompbox, krizanto86

Got arrested while playing guitar for fingering A minor.

Offline 09thfret

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 03:16:00 AM »

kung kaya i-DIY ,. why not ,.
pero iba parin minsan ang touch ng luthiers  :eek: ,.

Fate is like being raped ,. if you cant fight it ,... Learn to enjoy it ...

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 03:39:44 AM »
Cash + access to an ace guitar technician = walang busisi at mistakes sa pag set-up ng gitara

One problem off my mind.  The only thing to do is plug and play!

Offline candyapplered

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 03:55:56 AM »
i always perform basic setups for my guitars. but when it comes to fret levels, refrets, refinishing, and electronics, i bring it to a luthier. for those who don't know how to set up guitars on their own, make it a point to learn from your luthier the basic principles behind the repairs. any guitar tech--kahit gaano pa kagaling yan--pag nahalata nilang wala kang alam sa ano kelangan ayusin at anong desired outcome, pwedeng pwede ka bolahin lang niyan, naperahan ka pa.

as a rule of thumb, no guitar can have absolutely perfect intonation across all strings all over the fretboard (anyone might make a case for true temperament fretboards, but let's not get there). several other setup factors like action, truss rod adjustment, string gauge, the age of the strings, and how you tune can all have an effect on the guitar's overall intonation. once i've individually tweaked the setup of each string, what i do is compensate with the overall tuning integrity of the guitar. this often involves playing chords high up the neck as well as chord voicings with open strings involved. this is one reason why i don't rely on a tuner for the succeeding strings once i've gotten the low E right. oftentimes i end up tuning the other strings inconspicuously sharp from the root key, but the dissonance actually contributes to a well-balanced buitar.

Offline Chum

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 03:58:00 AM »
I learned how to shape/sand bone nuts and bridges from blanks to get a better understanding of how it is done, and I'm glad to note that Micsis approves of some of my, er, work  :wave: :lol: Not that I can't afford to have set ups done, but it IS quite fun to learn, and for me, I as much as possible try to figure out a problem on a guitar first before bringing it to a pro. Intonation jobs I can also do to a certain extent (especially on strats) out of necessity because I live so far away from Paranaque. But there are certain things that I tried to do, quite unsuccesfully. Soldering is something I leave to Micsis and crew, ditto adjusting truss rods or fret dressing. Maybe someday I will find the time to learn these things from Micsis and crew.

Chum
Immanuel Kant, BUT Genghis Khan!!!

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 04:57:40 AM »
kung kaya i-DIY ,. why not ,.
Because you can do more harm than good if you don't really know what you're doing.

pero iba parin minsan ang touch ng luthiers  :eek: ,.
Hindi lang minsan.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com