hulika

Author Topic: Freedom and Responsibilities for Threadstarters  (Read 13727 times)

Offline Vito Corleone

• Veteran Member
Freedom and Responsibilities for Threadstarters
« on: February 02, 2012, 01:10:56 PM »
Dear All,

RIC:  Mods

I can't find a thread about threadstarters thus this.

Do we have any thread that shows the proper conduct or rules for threadstarters? The responsibilities and limitations? I hope we can pin it somewhere where we can all see it.

If none, then, we might  as well agree on some rules. Also, I would like to propose additional powers to the TS. I''m thinking of giving TS a semi- or mini-moderator mode only on the threads he started. By giving responsibilities to TS, I believe, we can have more mature discussion. I'm not saying we can absolutely take out trash but we can substantially minimize it to more tolerable level.

If TS can delete comments and lock the threads he started, I  believe we can see more responsible TS and hopefully posters. I am coming from the angle that TS want to say something and expects replies. I want to give the TS the responsibility for making his thread interesting or boring. Of course, the mods are expected to retain this powers and overwrite the TS.

I hope the technical (computer language) aspect of this is the least we have to worry.

What say you?         
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 01:16:45 PM by Vito Corleone »
"I'm gonna make you an offer you can't refuse."

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Freedom and Responsibilities for Threadstarters
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 01:21:39 PM »
better post it here, para mabasa ng mga Global Mods / Admin

http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?board=149.0

Offline Vito Corleone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 01:24:26 PM »
Thank you par!

Offline pixelwise

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 02:45:07 PM »
yup SMF can grant moderator status to a TS only to his own thread ...

Offline MrGobots

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 03:39:34 PM »
Start a thread, gain censorship power. Hmmmm.

You want everyone to be able to read what you write but have the power to select who can respond and what they can post as a response? I don't think that's such a good idea, especially when there are posters that refuse to acknowledge accountability to their posts.

Anyway, that's just my opinion lets see what others have to say.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
- Oscar Wilde

Offline pixelwise

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 03:50:32 PM »
i'm on the fence on this one ... but then again a TS who censors too much could end up with nobody replying to his topic at all.

another plus i guess is it could stop thread-crapping.

Offline heyman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 04:02:08 PM »
may question lang ako, papano kung may past na girian kayo ng isang forumer sa isang thread mo? hindi kaya mali rin naman kung iblock mo siya or pigilan to express whats on his mind? or maabuso mo naman na everytime na may makita kang saliwa sa paniniwala mo or hindi nagaagree e i-delete yung post niya?

plus siguro to para di magtraffic or mabawasan yung crap posts, trolling at mga non-related issues sa thread mo.

sana may "kick" at "ban" buttons sa room parang chat rooms lang hehehe

yada yada yada.....

Offline Vito Corleone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 04:38:02 PM »
i'm on the fence on this one ... but then again a TS who censors too much could end up with nobody replying to his topic at all.

another plus i guess is it could stop thread-crapping.

Par, you feel me on this one!

The TS who would abuse his responsibilities would definitely produce a boring thread which will eventually die of natural death.

On the other hand, the TS who can manage well would be able to maintain an interesting thread which I think is a top, if not the top, reason why anyone would start a thread in the first place.

First level control should be with the TS while mods maintain control over the safety valves.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 05:03:10 PM by Vito Corleone »

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 05:35:18 PM »
I disagree.  The reason I have MY threads closed is when people who have no business in it and are simply posting personal grudges start mucking it up.  When a thread loses its purpose, why keep it open?

A threadstarter's main responsibility is to get the ball rolling.  To open up the topic, and keep it on topic as much as possible.  When it goes awry, why bother?  It becomes just another popcorn thread where everyone says IBTL and popcorn.
X2M Coffee Moment: Did want You

New Manila Sound

Offline Vito Corleone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 06:09:32 PM »
I disagree.  The reason I have MY threads closed is when people who have no business in it and are simply posting personal grudges start mucking it up.  When a thread loses its purpose, why keep it open?

A threadstarter's main responsibility is to get the ball rolling.  To open up the topic, and keep it on topic as much as possible.  When it goes awry, why bother?  It becomes just another popcorn thread where everyone says IBTL and popcorn.

Welcome to my thread ML. I understand your views and if that's how you treat your threads that is your business.

As for me, I see my threads as my little babies. Hehehe! Very softy. Anyhow, whenever I start a thread (which is very seldom) I am usually driven by an important personal purpose. So it pains me to see my thread being hijacked and eventually locked. Unfortunately and fortunately, keeping my threads rolling or open does not feed my family. I have a job, other responsibilities and most of all a life to attend to.

I am requesting for additional controls because I believe that these controls would do more benefit than harm in PM in general. I may be wrong but this is how I see it. It would be for the mods to think about. In the end, if the additional controls over our own threads are granted we are in no way required to use them. If you do not want to control your thread, again, it is your business.

For those who want to take advantage of the additional controls in order to salvage what they think is good in their own thread, this is a solution that I'm presenting. Lastly, the outcome of using, not using or abusing these additional controls would be a measure of how mature and responsible a TS is.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:11:37 PM by Vito Corleone »

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 06:21:08 PM »
No worries Vito. Personally, people should self-moderate.  Learn to follow simple rules.  So far, they've followed it on a couple of the threads I've made (Pop Quiz).  There are specific "triggers" why a thread goes haywire after all.  I've been a moderator before, and an admin at a Gundam forum, and giving moderator powers to individual threads is time consuming at best. 

People say it's their right to post when they post on topics I create and make a mockery out of it, but when it's on a topic THEY like, it's a different matter.  People shouldn't expect to be treated fairly when they themselves don't play fair.  Everyone has opinions.  Unfortunately, not all are that well-informed enough or articulate enough to give them.

New Manila Sound

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 06:37:55 PM »

IMO, its a bad idea.

imagine, trolls given mini-moderating powers...

the FS ads where scammers can censor the ones who are giving people heads up about the item.

some people who can start a thread about their original invention and censoring the replies of the ones who post evidence that the said invention isnt as original.

Offline Vito Corleone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 08:35:45 PM »
@ IncX

Good point on the FS or Musician Classified section. How about an exemption?

If a TS is trolling his/her own thread, the Mods can just press the lock switch.

I do not under estimate the intelligence of the people of PM. I'm sure most are smart enough to stay away from threads of TS with such reputations. But of course there are those who are in the bottom quartile.

To ALL

Keep the input flowing. Let's help the mods make an informed decision. If we get enough information from all aspect, I would even gladly construct the SWOT analysis if requested.

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 09:08:21 PM »
hmmmm  :-\ ako dito...

'one never fails until he quits trying'

Offline Van*

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 09:45:19 PM »
Welcome to my thread ML.
LOL I don't understand why people thinks they own the forum.
What you own, owns you.

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 11:01:11 PM »
@ IncX

If a TS is trolling his/her own thread, the Mods can just press the lock switch.

it would be more work for a mod cause you know trolls... they find ways to play the sympathy card - if you remember this user 'cyrilmosh' you will know how much of a headache he is ... because he just has no idea he was a troll, and mods in turn had to explain their case, which was very difficult since some trolls are just very good at it.

you will notice that there are some trolls still here in PM, and they just cant be banned, cause they know how to play their cards... giving them more power is just more work for a mod.

im not saying your idea is bad... it has its good sides because it will allow you to remove troll posts who are just trying to start flame wars in a thread... but then again, the privilege is easily abused, because let us face it - all of us males have the tendency to kick out anyone in the room who doesnt agree with us, leaving only the ones who do, which makes for a pretty biased set of opinions.

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 11:17:06 PM »
And how about the one who made more than 14 accounts?  No amount of banning it ever made a difference, each time went back and created threads the served no other purpose but to troll...

New Manila Sound

Offline pixelwise

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 11:34:56 PM »
LOL I don't understand why people thinks they own the forum.

hmm i don't read him saying "welcome to my forum."  :-D

the fact the most, if not all, modern forum software allows this has to mean it has its merits ... that it isn't enabled by default (as far as i know) also means it has disadvantages.

<< obviously still on the fence :-D

Offline Van*

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 11:43:20 PM »
hmm i don't read him saying "welcome to my forum."  :-D

the fact the most, if not all, modern forum software allows this has to mean it has its merits ... that it isn't enabled by default (as far as i know) also means it has disadvantages.

<< obviously still on the fence :-D
saying "My thread" means you're telling everyone that you owned it. Which in fact, you don't. You just started it.
What you own, owns you.

Offline pixelwise

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 11:52:45 PM »
^ probably akin to saying "i'm on my way" without owning the road, or "aren't you in my class?" without ...? so, yeah.

Offline Van*

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 12:00:23 AM »
^ probably akin to saying "i'm on my way" without owning the road, or "aren't you in my class?" without ...? so, yeah.
"probably"
What you own, owns you.

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 12:18:35 AM »
Medyo mahaba kasi yung "the thread I started" kaysa "my thread."

New Manila Sound

Offline Van*

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 12:30:55 AM »
HAHAHAHA
What you own, owns you.

Offline Vito Corleone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 07:04:14 AM »
HAHAHAHA

@ Van, do I have to show receipt to claim that something is mine? Do you have receipts for your girlfriend? Pathetic!

This is not a thread to discuss what "ownership" is. This is a thread about giving letting some thread starters take off from being kids to become adults if you know what I mean. Of course, that again, would be debatable because some adults still act like kids.

If you want, start your own thread with a subject like, Is it right to say "my thread" on the thread you started"
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:45:29 AM by Vito Corleone »

Offline Vito Corleone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 07:41:15 AM »
it would be more work for a mod cause you know trolls... they find ways to play the sympathy card - if you remember this user 'cyrilmosh' you will know how much of a headache he is ... because he just has no idea he was a troll, and mods in turn had to explain their case, which was very difficult since some trolls are just very good at it.

you will notice that there are some trolls still here in PM, and they just cant be banned, cause they know how to play their cards... giving them more power is just more work for a mod.

im not saying your idea is bad... it has its good sides because it will allow you to remove troll posts who are just trying to start flame wars in a thread... but then again, the privilege is easily abused, because let us face it - all of us males have the tendency to kick out anyone in the room who doesnt agree with us, leaving only the ones who do, which makes for a pretty biased set of opinions.

I remember cyrilmosh but I was not a fan. However, we cannot expect everything to be nice and dandy. Once in while something will eventually come that would require us to flex some muscles or some brain cells. That is life.

I hope you are not saying that there are more trolls in PM than an average member? Depending how you look at this, like in the glass half-full-half-empty thing, giving some extra powers to thread starters can work for the better or for the worst. If we have more members with acceptable behaviors who are thread starters, then the mods can have an instant army "marshals" in their little threads. Of course if we have more trolls here who are thread starters, I don't even want to think of it.

Again as pointed, if TS becomes abusive of the extra powers, wouldn't it make his thread boring which will eventually kill his thread? Worst scenario comes, the Mods still have the overall power.

Let's weigh in all the pros and cons. I'm not betting that this is perfect but I do hope the advantages out weighs the disadvantages.

SUGGESTION FOR THE MODS: Can we pilot this in AGT even for only three months at least? Then, lets discuss again and decide if you like to modify some rules or to totally scrap this idea.