hulika

Author Topic: Worship Members with tattoos, your opinions  (Read 26212 times)

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus
Worship Members with tattoos, your opinions
« on: August 27, 2014, 10:38:37 PM »
I have a friend/buddy, a bassist perhaps got inked last month at inulan ng batikos from the oldies attendies ng church kasi nagpatattoo sya.

Is it really necessary na pansinin ang bagay na yon?
 Does it really affect what does he do in church?

your opinion guys because i really want to get inked also. i don't see it as a bad thing.
Sa pinipig, bukod sa pwede mo singhutin, pwede mo rin tikman.

Offline NTM

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Worship Members with tattoos, your opinions
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:00:57 AM »
For me, it doesn't matter. What matters to me is "Anong motibo mo bakit ka nagpatattoo?" hehe

If you just wanted to be "cool", hmmm, mukhang di sya acceptable sakin. If you'll be using it to win this generation then that would be good. Isa pang dahilan siguro kasi masyadong conservative yung mga Filipino pag dating sa Tatoo..hehe.
Unlike yung mga western countries ok lang sa kanila. I still do like to have my own tattoo someday.....pero iniisip ko pa kung necessary.hahaha. Like Carl Lentz. :D
"Accomplishing the impossible is all about seeing the invisible."

- Sun Stand Still

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 08:45:55 AM »
I don't think it should be an issue. But of course conservatism frowns down upon it, especially that not many Filipino tribes did not have tattoo cultures in the first place.

As for the motive or necessity, I don't think it should matter either, because tattoos are an aesthetic choice. It's like choosing what clothes to wear, or what pendant or bracelet to wear, but you can never take them off. Except of course, like NTM said, if the motive is to "look cool" or "be a rebel without a cause" or to  purposefully offend, then those are legit reasons NOT to get inked.

Personally I'd like to get inked, but I have skin problems so I can't (or until a doctor says it's fine). I'm a Catholic though, so it's gonna be more of a Filipino taboo thing than a church one.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline NTM

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 09:20:51 AM »
I don't think it should be an issue. But of course conservatism frowns down upon it, especially that not many Filipino tribes did not have tattoo cultures in the first place.

As for the motive or necessity, I don't think it should matter either, because tattoos are an aesthetic choice. It's like choosing what clothes to wear, or what pendant or bracelet to wear, but you can never take them off. Except of course, like NTM said, if the motive is to "look cool" or "be a rebel without a cause" or to  purposefully offend, then those are legit reasons NOT to get inked.

Personally I'd like to get inked, but I have skin problems so I can't (or until a doctor says it's fine). I'm a Catholic though, so it's gonna be more of a Filipino taboo thing than a church one.

Nice one.  :) I also do like to have one, been designing some "dream tattoo" that I want. hahaha. But I'm working and I think it is not appropriate to have a tattoo in a workplace. (I'm working in an NGO, Christian Org). But some of our missionaries has a tattoo.

My primary motive in getting a tattoo is to reach out this generation, most of our youth is from streets, so I think that would be useful. I don't know. haha

- Sun Stand Still

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 09:31:40 AM »
Nice one.  :) I also do like to have one, been designing some "dream tattoo" that I want. hahaha. But I'm working and I think it is not appropriate to have a tattoo in a workplace. (I'm working in an NGO, Christian Org). But some of our missionaries has a tattoo.

My primary motive in getting a tattoo is to reach out this generation, most of our youth is from streets, so I think that would be useful. I don't know. haha
Even if the world has progressed, tatoos are still not widely acceptable in the workplace. It's acceptable, but since business has its own aesthetic (sharp, clean, and lots of rules and etiquette. not a bad thing though, it's something one can actually appreciate.), visible tattoos are not allowed.

If you want a big tattoo, go for the back, and don't go cheap on it. Since you can't even see it yourself, better entrust your skin to a really good artist. If smaller is okay, get some at the sleeves. Something more easily visible but not out of line with work is at the nape, or below the collarbone. If you're a girl, the hip is a pretty popular place.

Basically, you can get tattoos where Four (from Divergent) has them.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 10:56:01 AM »
it really doesnt matter... I dont know why this has to be an issue...especially in religious groups...who by right, should be more tolerant and understanding and less judgemental towards others..

I say go for it., if it makes you happy..and fulfilled..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline ron_rd57

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 11:04:58 AM »
doesn't matter, go for what you want, fashion and clothing should not be limited by what other people think.
Pero syempre if your in a church setting dapat mataas ang patience mo lalong lalo na daming judgmental na mga tao  :lol:
depende rin sa congregation, I think SOME denominational churches un ung conservative talaga.
none denominational churches, less legalism  :)

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 11:09:08 AM »
doesn't matter, go for what you want, fashion and clothing should not be limited by what other people think.
Pero syempre if your in a church setting dapat mataas ang patience mo lalong lalo na daming judgmental na mga tao  :lol:
depende rin sa congregation, I think SOME denominational churches un ung conservative talaga.
none denominational churches, less legalism  :)

so true..I find this really ironic... the amount of how religious and devout you are the more judgmental and self righteous you become..lalo pag nagsamasama na sila as a group....

*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline ron_rd57

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 11:18:41 AM »
so true..I find this really ironic... the amount of how religious and devout you are the more judgmental and self righteous you become..lalo pag nagsamasama na sila as a group....

yup, I used to be one of those legalistic person in a extreme denominational group.. :lol:
I left that group, now attending a none denominational church.. :)

most of the time the reason why there are judgmental and self righteous people is because of their congregational leader,
because instead of viewing and examining the scriptures they rely so much with their pastors or priest.
Relationship with God should be the primary concern of a person than church membership.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
yup, I used to be one of those legalistic person in a extreme denominational group.. :lol:
I left that group, now attending a none denominational church.. :)

most of the time the reason why there are judgmental and self righteous people is because of their congregational leader,
because instead of viewing and examining the scriptures they rely so much with their pastors or priest.
Relationship with God should be the primary concern of a person than church membership.

this ^

usually especially if a leader is charismatic and cultish...doon na nagfofocus mga tao at na drawdraw... instead sa scripture..human nature lang talaga siguro..

*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline NTM

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 11:26:50 AM »

+1.. nice!

Tama ka jan, I also find this very ironic. I grew up in church, in a Christian family, seen a lot of people get offended and leave the church because of church leaders/elders judgmental religious mindsets. We are taught to live like Christ, not compromising in the "world".
But sometimes because of that teachings, we are being "limited" and "exclusive". Christianity is not meant to be like that. How can you reach this generation and share the gospel with such judgmental mindset. Break the culture. It's not about compromising, but more of "reaching".

But still thinking, what would Jesus do?  :) If He is in a human form again in today's generation will He be like a "cool-type-of-guy" just to reach the youth of today? or a "holy-calm-righteous-guy" like what we have seen in most of the pictures and images.

- Sun Stand Still

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 11:32:47 AM »

sakit yan ng mga Christian religious groups. whether Catholic, Orthodox, Lutheran, non-denoinational, whatever. The catholicism (by definition: all-embracing) of the religion of Jesus empowered people to catechize, evangelize, but at the same time, has given them the illusion that they can judge people in the name of God.

So yeah, come to think of it, tattoos can even be a statement against the earthly judgment we all pass towards people. Sure the ultra conservatives will tell you off for not respecting the sanctity of the body, but of course you know better.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 11:34:33 AM »
+1.. nice!

Tama ka jan, I also find this very ironic. I grew up in church, in a Christian family, seen a lot of people get offended and leave the church because of church leaders/elders judgmental religious mindsets. We are taught to live like Christ, not compromising in the "world".
But sometimes because of that teachings, we are being "limited" and "exclusive". Christianity is not meant to be like that. How can you reach this generation and share the gospel with such judgmental mindset. Break the culture. It's not about compromising, but more of "reaching".

But still thinking, what would Jesus do?  :) If He is in a human form again in today's generation will He be like a "cool-type-of-guy" just to reach the youth of today? or a "holy-calm-righteous-guy" like what we have seen in most of the pictures and images.

I like this thread and the direction of the discussion..

the recent insights posted  help me see things clearly from a different perspective... :)

share pa!

*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline ron_rd57

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 11:37:06 AM »
dun nga sa extreme na denominational group na inaatenan ko dati,
pati buhok at balbas pinapakiilamanan e.. :lol:
relasyon ng magkasintahan, career choice.. :eek:

pero judgmental and legalistic people are unavoidable,
Even in the time of Christ He opposed a lot of legalistic and judgmental Pharisees.
kahit saan nandun sila. better have the patience to deal with folks like this.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 11:40:04 AM »
http://kingofthehill.wikia.com/wiki/Reborn_To_Be_Wild

Guys, if you can find this episode..of KING OF THE HILL..

its a good take on the topic..

"Fearing that Bobby is succumbing to bad influences, Hank makes him join a local church youth group. Bobby discovers that the group consists of cool punks (including their tattooed pastor, Pastor K) who worship God through skateboarding and rock. Pastor K's dad Tells His son never come Between a kid and his Dad and says If the Family members don't want their kid praising like him and wants them back in regular Church it's cool."
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 11:47:25 AM »
+1.. nice!

I bet Jesus will tear down every religious organization in his name, including the orthodox and catholic churches. A careful reading of the NT will show how Jesus was a devout Jew, and thus a stickler to the rules, but his understanding of the rules shows that he only follows those that make sense, the ones that follow the nature and spirit of the laws. I don't think he'd be a cool guy, I think he'd be furious with the things we have now. In short, BTT, i think Jesus won't have anything against tattoos,unless you did it to be cool or in, or to feel the pain of your broken heart or some random emo shiz

Offline bakit?

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 11:52:50 AM »
ang alam ko madaming punks/hardcore kids na christians.

tattoos are here to stay. kungmay tattoo ang tao wala sila magagawa.

I believe that the definition of definition is reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself.

Completely.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 11:53:33 AM »
ang alam ko madaming punks/hardcore kids na christians.

tattoos are here to stay. kungmay tattoo ang tao wala sila magagawa.

Mas matagal pa ang tattoo kaysa sa christianity. that says a lot

Offline NTM

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 01:12:25 PM »
Most of the so-called Christians rely their faith more on the Old Testament teachings or I must say the "law", like the Pharisees. They judge people based on the teaching of the law. You don't have to do that, or this. At some point we are boxed in a "religious-law". I believe that Jesus came down, live with the people, break the wrong culture....He replace the "law" by "LOVE". Christians must live by loving others! regardless of who they are and what they've done in the past. Stop playing religion by quoting some biblical verses to judge people! We are all saved by grace after all, all of us our sinners in the eyes of God.

That's why Jesus came, for us to experience His love and at the same time learn to love people. You'll never know, maybe God will accept the worship of those people with a lot of tattoos than those people who are teaching at the pulpit and called themselves as righteous. It's all about the heart more than the deeds and looks.

PS I'm not justifying myself. haha. I don't have tattoos. I don't have long hairs or what they so called bad-guy-looks. hahaha. I just seen it that way and sharing my own opinion. I'm a Pastors kid anyway, but not a rebel in our church. haha

- Sun Stand Still

Offline bakit?

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 01:22:39 PM »
Most of the so-called Christians rely their faith more on the Old Testament teachings or I must say the "law", like the Pharisees. They judge people based on the teaching of the law. You don't have to do that, or this. At some point we are boxed in a "religious-law". I believe that Jesus came down, live with the people, break the wrong culture....He replace the "law" by "LOVE". Christians must live by loving others! regardless of who they are and what they've done in the past. Stop playing religion by quoting some biblical verses to judge people! We are all saved by grace after all, all of us our sinners in the eyes of God.

That's why Jesus came, for us to experience His love and at the same time learn to love people. You'll never know, maybe God will accept the worship of those people with a lot of tattoos than those people who are teaching at the pulpit and called themselves as righteous. It's all about the heart more than the deeds and looks.

PS I'm not justifying myself. haha. I don't have tattoos. I don't have long hairs or what they so called bad-guy-looks. hahaha. I just seen it that way and sharing my own opinion. I'm a Pastors kid anyway, but not a rebel in our church. haha

this.

I believe that the definition of definition is reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself.

Completely.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 01:25:50 PM »

LUPET NTM!
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline gitaristadaw

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 02:30:43 PM »
for me, as the worship head in our church, in my honest opinion, i dont care if nagpa-ink ang isa sa member namin if the purpose is to penetrate the next gen..as sir NTM says..wag lang pang porma... and also..depende kung ano pina-tattoo nya.. if it is something satanic or demonic syempre that's a no-no kahit na sabihin pang gusto mag penetrate sa mga satanista hehe

Offline bakit?

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 02:32:14 PM »
agree. iba naman na yun.

pero kung art naman na okay, why not.

Completely.

Offline p-nut

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 03:48:27 PM »
I opened my PM account kasi kailangan ko ng something for my current setup then I paused for awhile seeing this thread:

Share Lang: I started attending this church org for teens (CFC-YFC) way back HS pa. Back then hooked na ako in playing instruments and I really know what I wanted. I started listening to Black Sabbath, GnR, Pantera, Slayer, Metallica, etc. and some of my older heads would say "ano ba yang pinakikinggan mo? parang demonyo" (pertaining to the bands). I was like: "this is the genre that I wanted to play when I grow old". Hanggang sa pagpasok ko sa college (although naintindihan na nila later on what I meant back then), ganun pa din ako not minding others would say.

Fast Forward: Way back 2011 I had my first ink (kasi madami nang sumunod. haha!) on my left arm (Half Sleeved), and super happy ko kasi 1: I wanted a tattoo since bata pa ako 2: there's a reason behind this tattoo and its design. My former churchmates then commented: you went overboard bro, hindi na kalugod-lugod yan". I just don't mind every word na nasabi nila, umalis nlng ako and moved on with my faith.

My point: regardless kund anong itsura mo: maganda o panget, maputi o kayumanggi, may tattoo o wala, all of us were loved by our God, an Awesome God! Having a tattoo is not a basis for condemning someone, nor to be the subject of insult for some "WORTHY" people. As long as you have Him in your heart and mind as well as in your actions, you are on the right track! Today, hindi ako nahihiya to raise my arms and praise Him with my tats on my arm waving "HI" to my seatmates, kasi hindi lang naman ako nagiisa, madami kaming may tattoo na nagpupuri at sumasamba sa Kanya :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:27:55 AM by p-nut »
"When I tried to play something and screwed up, i'd hear some other note that would come into play. Then I started trying different things to find the beauty in it." - Darrell Lance Abbott

Offline NTM

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 04:02:03 PM »
What's on the inside will manifest on the outside, but what's on the outside is not automatically manifest on the inside.

Hindi porke madameng tattoo ang isang tao, maaapektuhan nun kung ano sya sa loob. I've known a lot of people has a lot of tattoo pero sobrang mabuting Kristyano. Pero ang mahalaga yung kung ano ang nasa loob mo. Kasi yung ang makikita sa labas. Kung puro ka galit sa loob, puro bitterness, etc., lalabas at lalabas yan sa ugali at pananalita mo, at yun sa tingin ko ang hindi tama. Everything that you do, must glorify God. Hashtag parin..... #WWJD hahahaha

- Sun Stand Still