hulika

Author Topic: The Scale Modeling Thread  (Read 78589 times)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Scale Modeling Thread
« on: May 01, 2011, 10:31:49 AM »
Ok, I'm going to start this one off.

Cars, planes, ships, tanks... you name it. I'm an aviation buff myself and I'm currently into German WWII aircraft with my latest being this:

Presently have 100+ kits that I intend to build... someday. At my present rate, I'll finish all of those in 300 years!

Let's discuss.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: The Scale Modeling Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 04:54:38 PM »
No takers, huh? No worries.

I've been assembling scale models since I was 7 and I bought my first 2 kits by saving P20 of my baon for several weeks. They were Lindbergh F-104 metal plated and an Airfix A-20B Havoc. Fast forward to today and most kits are in the P1k range. Prob is, I happen to like assembling large scale; 1/48 and 1/32. By far, my largest kit is a 1/48 Revell B-1B which is about 1m long when assembled. Then there's that Tamiya 1/32 F-15E and F-14A...

I've done some tanks and cars, but I still go back to aircraft, esp. WWII German planes. and Soviet block jets... anything out of the ordinary. My first airbrush was an Olympos HP-100 and that set the tone for trigger-type airbrushes for me. I presently use a Tamiya HG but I would like an Iwata HP TR-1 or -2 to add to my tools. One thing I really need, it's a compressor/tank combo with regulator/water trap. The humid air here has a tendency to condense in the tank making the airbrush spew drops of water ruining the finish sometimes.

Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline kimhags

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 04:59:23 PM »
I don't know if this counts but this thread just reminds me of my dad (God rest his soul) who used to buy model planes and helicopters and assemble them. he assembled a lot of them before, from F-18 jets to apache choppers and some WWII planes.  :-)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 05:19:41 PM »
Believe it or not, I have those too, although I'm saving up for an updated kit of the F-18 (maybe the Trumpeter EA-18G Growler will fit the bill) and an updated F-16. Turns out the Hasegawa 1/32 F-16 I bought wasn't exactly based on an Block 30 F-16C.

Lemme guess... your dad was a very patient man and you were very curious about his 'toys'.  :wink: I've had a nephew or 2 play around with some of my assembled projects when I wasn't looking.

Offline kimhags

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 05:40:53 PM »
Believe it or not, I have those too, although I'm saving up for an updated kit of the F-18 (maybe the Trumpeter EA-18G Growler will fit the bill) and an updated F-16. Turns out the Hasegawa 1/32 F-16 I bought wasn't exactly based on an Block 30 F-16C.

Lemme guess... your dad was a very patient man and you were very curious about his 'toys'.  :wink: I've had a nephew or 2 play around with some of my assembled projects when I wasn't looking.

yeah I was a kid when he was into this. it became a hobby of his and even made a small shelf for his models. he didn't want us to touch it 'cause it was a little fragile but we did help in assembling them. he was supposed to buy this big C-130 model but sadly he passed away. we kept his collection for a few months but gave it to my uncle instead who was also into this before.

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 04:10:25 AM »
I'll post soon, Kit.  I'm just deciding whether I'll get a Raptor or a Black Bird (or scratch build one).
X2M Coffee Moment: Did want You

New Manila Sound

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 09:47:30 AM »
he was supposed to buy this big C-130 model but sadly he passed away.

Sad to hear a fellow modeler passing, but I'm sure he's busy tinkering away in that great modeling bench in the sky. I have an AC-130A myself that will someday be built. My quest for accuracy does make for long builds though.

I have a couple of blackbirds myself, ML, although the other one is the YF-12 variety. Even got a U-2R to complement the recon collection, all in 1/48. What I want is a raptor as well, but I have yet to see the Hasegawa version.

Offline kimhags

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 09:50:49 AM »
Sad to hear a fellow modeler passing, but I'm sure he's busy tinkering away in that great modeling bench in the sky. I have an AC-130A myself that will someday be built. My quest for accuracy does make for long builds though.

I have a couple of blackbirds myself, ML, although the other one is the YF-12 variety. Even got a U-2R to complement the recon collection, all in 1/48. What I want is a raptor as well, but I have yet to see the Hasegawa version.

yeah he really did love this. you should post pics of your collection sir KitC.  :-)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 11:18:57 AM »
I would once I get a long vacation and begin building again.

You might say this hobby came in 3 phases. Phase one was when I was a kid and I was building 1/72 kits (mostly WW2 bombers) like crazy. We would go to Dau during summer shop at the PX 'market' and I would usually come home with an MPC or Revell kit. I loved those bombers since they were huge (for me at the time) and they had positionable control surfaces and moving props! Since I was a kid, brush painting was the norm and I cringe everytime I remember how I painted those poor, poor planes. Summers were always great for me back then.

Fast forward to my late teens and phase 2 came with 1/48 jets this time. My phase 1 planes are gathering dust and becoming difficult to maintain. Plus, my kid nephews would sometimes play war games with the bombers when I'm not looking (which would explain why the .50 caliber guns were missing barrels and props were missing blades). I also discovered Monogram by this time and F4U-4 Corsair was a fave as well as that interesting Fujimi A-6A Intruder that initiated me into using spray paints. When I started working a few years later, then the kit collecting began in earnest. Being single at the time, I can almost say that I went home each sweldo with a spanking new kit courtesy of Lil's when they were still at Goldcrest. Also got my first airbrush, the Olympos, at this time. Sadly, phase 1 completed models and some phase 2 kits are gone now, victims of ondoy and a move away from the familial home, while my airbrush was borrowed by my cousin, never to be seen again. It also happened that I got married, had kids, and it didn't help that my wife would get jealous if I paid too much attention to my hobby - the things you wouldn't know while still courting a woman.

I'm now at phase 3, returning to a hobby after being away for a decade. I'm now into superdetailing although I've been doing some detailing during the latter stages of phase 2. After amassing a lot of kits, articles and Fine Scale Modeler mags, I'm going to restart this hobby. This (and ondoy) partly explains why I have no completed kits today and most of them are in various states of build until I come to terms with my new airbrush as well as time management.

Offline kimhags

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 11:34:54 AM »
wow this hobby of yours has been with you most of your life. it is a great feeling to go back to an old hobby, infact this thread has inspired me to try this in memory of my dad but being a student it would be hard to buy the things I need especially that I still have to handle my guitar GAS.  :lol:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 12:22:09 PM »
It's all a matter of priorities. It wasn't so easy for me too trying to save up for kits as a student. Add to that time needed for our GFs. Good thing my gf at the time supported my hobby and even bought me a kit or 2. All I can says is... if you find someone who understands your hobby, never let her go!

Offline kimhags

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 12:31:28 PM »
It's all a matter of priorities. It wasn't so easy for me too trying to save up for kits as a student. Add to that time needed for our GFs. Good thing my gf at the time supported my hobby and even bought me a kit or 2. All I can says is... if you find someone who understands your hobby, never let her go!

agreed. :lol: well I'll be graduating soon so maybe I can have funds for that. will be fun to try it again.

Offline eleven

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 02:19:43 PM »
sali din ako... my dad introduce me to this hobby. Ito din kasi yung hobby nya before, when I was little he

assembled a hasegawa Boeing 747. Fast forward, when I was in high school dun na ng simula yung hobby ko

nito. I assembled mostly aircraft carriers and helicopters, italleri yung brand. saan ba pwede bumili ng mga

hasegawa na model kit? at magkano nman yung price? Thanks!

Online haha

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 02:51:12 PM »
Sirs, does building WWII diorama is counted as scale-modeling? :?
"My Master, Thank you for putting music in my life."

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 04:41:37 PM »
I think Lil's still carries Hasegawa but price varies according to the model. You could also try JMN over at Harrison. The new Trumpeter kits are calling out to me, even though I'm wary of chinese brands.

Yes, even dioramas count. I'd say even the architectural mockups should also count - I was very impressed over the archi students models when I was studying engineering at UST. To think those buildings started out as construction board.

Online haha

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 04:58:22 PM »
I think Lil's still carries Hasegawa but price varies according to the model. You could also try JMN over at Harrison. The new Trumpeter kits are calling out to me, even though I'm wary of chinese brands.

Yes, even dioramas count. I'd say even the architectural mockups should also count - I was very impressed over the archi students models when I was studying engineering at UST. To think those buildings started out as construction board.

I'm interested in starting a small diorama of WWII. In what part of the diorama would it be ideal to start with sir?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 05:41:52 PM »
Depends. Lots of possible scenarios... european with german/allied armor, pacific with american/japanese (even french) tanks. You could even combine aircraft and armor into one dio, but it'll take a lot of space and they should have similar scales. You could also mix different scales for a forced perspective dio. It all depends on whatever subject matter you have on hand.

Online haha

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 06:01:31 PM »
Depends. Lots of possible scenarios... european with german/allied armor, pacific with american/japanese (even french) tanks. You could even combine aircraft and armor into one dio, but it'll take a lot of space and they should have similar scales. You could also mix different scales for a forced perspective dio. It all depends on whatever subject matter you have on hand.

Thanks Sir KitC. You gave an idea. hehehe.. I think I'll start small for a while.

Offline mozart123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 06:40:47 PM »
meron akong vietcong tauhan di ko pa nauumpisahan dragon tatak. pera talaga prublema at panahon.

wow 100+ kits  :-o 

di ko na check yung ipms forum ke bert anido nag exhibit pa kaya sila dati lagi sa megamall.

me nagbebenta pa rin ba ng scale models sa makati  cinema square dami sila mga lumang stock ng tauhan na scale models na di mo makikita sa greenhills,megamall,sm north, sa futaba meron pa noon tsaka sa me ali mall dati nung di pa na remodel.
check out my new page:Condo for sale Luzon.

Offline gwenmoyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 11:21:56 AM »
Mga sir post some pix of your finished creations please! kinda intrested to build cars tanks, aircrafts, and ships... might shift from gunpla modeling to this... inspire me!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 12:42:46 AM by gwenmoyk »
whoa! nice rig you got there, DINOSAUR!!!

Offline mozart123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 05:18:16 PM »
i already mentioned the name of the forum mag register ka dami pics dun.  :roll: saka mag google dami kaya mga enthusiast.
check out my new page:Condo for sale Luzon.

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 05:06:43 PM »
Kit, would scratch builds qualify here?

New Manila Sound

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2011, 08:31:40 PM »
Kit, would scratch builds qualify here?

Of course. Anything modeling as long as it's to scale as much as possible.

I'd post pics but I'm getting the nerve to start on something. There's this 1/48 B-58A that's calling out to me to complete, but the metallic finish is driving me nuts. The WW2 german camou is just as difficult with those swirl patterns and RLM colors. Think I'll just start with that olive drab B-17G.... :roll:

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 12:37:36 PM »
Of course. Anything modeling as long as it's to scale as much as possible.

I'd post pics but I'm getting the nerve to start on something. There's this 1/48 B-58A that's calling out to me to complete, but the metallic finish is driving me nuts. The WW2 german camou is just as difficult with those swirl patterns and RLM colors. Think I'll just start with that olive drab B-17G.... :roll:

The Kosutte didn't cut it?

New Manila Sound

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 07:26:04 AM »
The Kosutte works fine although it's a shade dark for a plane that's supposed to be polished aluminum. I'll use it for selective shading of some panels; no airplane in natural metal has a homogenous color, even if it's all aluminum.

Just tried to airbrush after what seems like a decade of not handling one. Used Tamiya's white primer to coat a couple of parts so i can detect surface flaws. It's like being new to the medium again... orange peel and difficulty getting the right thinning ratios. Good thing primer was meant for sanding anyway.  :|  Still a long ways to go before I get up to speed with airbrushing. I miss my old Olympos...