hulika

Author Topic: BIT RATE CONVERSION AND DOWN SAMPLING  (Read 1726 times)

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
BIT RATE CONVERSION AND DOWN SAMPLING
« on: June 29, 2008, 01:19:04 PM »
ok mangangarap muna ako sandali... IF ever na makakuha ako ng Apogee AD/DA Rosetta 200.. how will you manage to do the down sampling and bit rate conversion, say 176.4/ 24 bit to  44.1 / 16 bit mastering
1. should i use 2 computers Pent 4 x 2 and transfer files thru AES/EBU ( no ADAT or S/PDIF ) or
2. Use 1 computer with 2 AD/DA converters,  1 for multi track and 1 for SRC and bit rate conversion ( Apogee Rosetta 200) btw yes Apogee will work with Pentium / Win XP combo thru X firewire card.
Apogee has this thing called CODA with Aptomizer/ SRC and UV22HR dithering.
Music is art in sound...

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: BIT RATE CONVERSION AND DOWN SAMPLING
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 02:32:33 PM »
of course #2 would be the most painless route, with analog being the universal converter. you won't have to mess with clock sync problems, and all the other issues related with digital transfers. it all depends on how much of the actual data you're willing to 'lose'. i personally have no issues going analog, only to go back to digital. :-)
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 04:28:07 PM »
Marvin actually Apogee has a built in clock - Intelliclock , i am just curious if there will be no jitter problems when using AES cables.
Music is art in sound...

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 06:05:12 AM »
well, since you are downsampling, the first question would be which sampling rate would you be using for the clock, and that's not even considering the bit-rate first. honestly i still haven't ventured beyond the sampling rate i've been using ever since -- 44.1khz, and that's why i really never encountered any major digital transfer problems. what you wish to do, however, is very different. well, even my friend angee rozul would mix at 48khz, then transfer to 1/4" analog just before mastering, only to convert it back to 44.1khz.
============
Marvin Querido

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 08:41:17 AM »
Some studies have shown that there is less jitter when using electrical digital transfers compared to optical. The thing is... when you downsample, it has nothing much to do with digital transfer protocols like AES/EBU or spdif, but more with the downsampling algorithm available to you, usually via software. There is also the subject of dither, which adds very low level noise to minimize the artifacts of quantizing error during downsampling.

Personally, I am not fond of A/D/A transfers, but I somehow think that if you are using top notch A/D/A converters when 'downsampling' via analog, it should not be that much apparent as long as you use the highest bit rates available (usually 24-bit) and you keep A/D/A transfers to a bare minimum, preferably during the mastering phase. I prefer to downsample via software, and I have been using r8brain which has proven to be quite transparent compared to other algorithms, although I really haven't tried any newer ones to date.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 03:24:06 PM »
KitC the CODA feature in Apogee Rosetta 200 looks very promising... i think we will be getting one soon.. if only i can get hold of a few more thousand bucks for a Genelec 1032A, to test the AD/DA on how good it sounds... then i will be happy   :-D   GAS RULES!!!
Music is art in sound...

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 03:39:04 PM »
Marvin.. i am thinking of doing the mixing in either 176.4k / 24 or 88k/ 24 bit
but i may settle for 88k/24 since some of the plugins in my UAD card wont work in 176.4k.. dithering on Apogee's UV22HR is excellent. i have a 1/4 inch 2 track analog reel but i think i can get a better sound by going digital.  8-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 09:28:45 AM »
well, whatever get's you the sound you want. 'better' is relative. :-)
============
Marvin Querido

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 10:09:36 AM »
ei marvs... diba yung apogee mo eh rosetta 800?
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 10:50:59 AM »
oo. rosetta 800. naka-bigben din. hehe. :-)
============
Marvin Querido

Offline xtrarice

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 06:33:18 PM »
wow usapang apogee!