hulika

Author Topic: Do you always spend $$$ in setting up your guitars?  (Read 4417 times)

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Do you always spend $$$ in setting up your guitars?
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 06:07:04 AM »
any guitar tech--kahit gaano pa kagaling yan--pag nahalata nilang wala kang alam sa ano kelangan ayusin at anong desired outcome, pwedeng pwede ka bolahin lang niyan, naperahan ka pa.

But as someone who plays guitar, I think you'll know if the luthier is pulling a fast one on you, especially if something doesn't sound right.  If that's what's happening, one is always free to look for another luthier.  Para na rin yung driver na ipaparepair sa mekaniko yung sasakyan.  Mahahalata pa rin namang hindi maganda ang pagka-repair ng sasakyan kung medyo may mararamdaman yung driver na mali ang tunog o kaya pagtakbo ng makina, etc.

Also as a consumer, you have a right to go back to the luthier anyway to have him rectify what you've found as a result of your fault isolation.  They're supposed to provide satisfaction to their customers anyway.

So far I've found my luthier to be very trustworthy and informative of what my guitar needs.  He's always aware of the fact that he'll be getting business from me in the future, so his reputation has to always be at stake when making repairs to my guitars.

My caveat of course is that I'm speaking from personal experience.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 06:08:35 AM by Deadwing »

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 07:11:32 AM »
Because you can do more harm than good if you don't really know what you're doing.

I suddenly remembered my botched attempts to refin, fret level, crown frets, nut shaping, etc etc  :x :eek: LOL! Making mistakes really is a part of learning. Hahaha!  :-P
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 07:36:29 AM »
*ouch*

That's got to be a really expensive lesson.

Offline iyzburg

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 06:09:30 PM »
Just wanna share my PRS SE CUSTOM JUN CASTRO SIG

got my guitar from Jun Castro, a total overhaul for my loved one. My PRS SE CUSTOM 22 in GRAY BLACK.

REVIEW:
There hasn't been much love for my PRS this past few weeks because i effin Fcuked up my graphtech nut.  i have been to other luthiers, the one i have a bad experience, the other one in sta mesa was too far for me (had good experience with him, i had a custom tele from him before). So i was browsing philmusic and i remembered Mr Jun Castro.

Its a mistake that i went to him last. His talent in setting up guitars are superb. Did i mention his ears are good too?

so i brought my PRS to him, and told him everything he needs to know about it. he then diagnosed my problem. one of it was my intonation. HUH? i always thought i was super OC about guitar set up, especially intonation, up to the very minute cent.

reality bites, he did not tell me i was wrong. HE SHOWED ME. suddenly my ears opened up. OO NGA ANO, hindi papala ganun ka intonated ang guitar ko.
another thing. output from my pickups were not balanced. he showed me, i heard it. another light bulb moment. i thougt ok na yung out of the box dimarzio, i dint bother to change the pole pieces. akala ko walang diff yun, at ok lang na wag i adjust.

well then we talked and talked about guitars, set ups, and what nots. i stayed there very long. i was listening and gaining knowledge from him while he was asessing my guitar. really nice guy.

Someone really has to teach you that face to face. We don't know how sensitive you are to discerning differences in pitch. I mean a lot of us initially believe we are sensitive enough. I certainly thought I was. But in reality, that is not always the true case. I start having trouble making out differences in pitch when bending an eighth of a step.

Relying on an electronic tuner might even do more harm than good. They usually have difficulty tracking differences between octaves.

I agree with Al.

I've tried intonating solely using tuners, but i never get entirely satisfied with the results, for some reason.

Jun, on the other hand, is very keen on measurements, just as much as the actual intonation (tuning) of the frets. I guess thats the value added from a bona fide luthier.

one of the first things he does is check kung "tama yung sukat" ng gitara mo. i.e. the fret spacing, the bridge, and the nut. kung may issues about the measurements, iaadjust nya yung nut mo, if it can't be compensated by the bridge.

i can also attest that he doesn't solely rely on measurements and tuners to intonate. he "sweetens" his tuning para maganda resonance ng mga nota, esp. when playing chords sa upper registers. benchmark lang nya yung tuner.  pag saliwa sa tenga yung result, Jun will tweak it further.

It's hard to explain, but it's not magic. Neither is it always perfect. but all i know is that it works for me.

Plus he's a straight-up nice guy to deal with, who makes an effort to get to know you and your likes and dislikes. so when you hand him a guitar to work on, he will know what you want from it. so i guess that adds to the experience.

These replies really intrigued me for the last two weeks... I mean, I could spare some money to have my guitar set-up... But those priceless knowledge they MAY impart to you? That's priceless... It's something not only you would keep for yourself, but also something you could use to keep yourself from sounding bad... I wouldn't want to make Sir Al Librero cringe..

It's hard to say. But based on my observation, many of us underestimate how difficult it is to actually get it. I've seen it a number of times -- guitar players confident with how they intonated their own guitars. But the moment they start soloing over the high frets... ayaw ko na makinig, lalo na pag band setting.

I've seen it lead to people blaming the hardware and/or the electronics as well. This leads to pickup upgrades and whatnot. When that happens, many players don't have the sense to be particular with height and polepiece adjustments either. They end up with souped up, yet still bad sounding guitars. When that happens, for some people, it's off to the Guitar Classifieds!  :wave:
Deut 11:13 ...love the LORD your God, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul...

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 08:04:41 PM »
I suddenly remembered my botched attempts to refin, fret level, crown frets, nut shaping, etc etc  :x :eek: LOL! Making mistakes really is a part of learning. Hahaha!  :-P

those are part of the learning and those things along the way get so easy to replace/fix

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 09:34:50 PM »
Some folks have the inclination to learn on their own and can bury their head down to the details that matter, and prefer it that way.  Some folks can't be bothered with the trial and error and mistakes that can come with it.  Most of us are a little bit of both, and it's all about the player's comfort level and where that balance of learning vs risk lies.  Prefer to do my own setups, but fretwork is another ballgame I'd maybe take elsewhere first if I get around to needing it.  The reason for this is simple, not everyone likes their guitars set the same way.

Should it always be intonated to absolute perfection?  The guitar by virtue of its straight frets will have slight variations in temperament.  Always try to get the instrument intonated, but don't lose sleep over it.

Should the pickups always be balanced in output?  Depends on what you use it for and how.  Some like the neck slightly hotter, some like it the bridge when rolled back to balance with a neck in full output, so you could reserve that boost when you roll up or toggle down.

Should the action be set high or low?  Again, only you as the player knows where it should sit when you fret it.

Should the neck be close to straight?  A bit of relief is desired if you attack the strings harder than most folks.  Watch that trussrod, once a day lang in quarter turns, watch for stripped threads or difficulty in turning.

I know the good folks here in GC are talking mostly in general terms, and the info is all good.  But these are just some things you might want to "talk shop" over with whoever is doing your setup.  Go over the specifics, and try to pick up what you can.

My dad and my grandpa always thought every man should work on his own plumbing.  But if sh*t happens, call the plumber and see what he's doing right.  My brothers aren't so inclined with these things (would call the plumber every turn), but like generations of men before me, I want to know what's going on.  So a big NO, I don't always spend for a setup.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline hiskoolstudes

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 09:45:13 PM »
My dad and my grandpa always thought every man should work on his own plumbing.  But if sh*t happens, call the plumber and see what he's doing right.  My brothers aren't so inclined with these things (would call the plumber every turn), but like generations of men before me, I want to know what's going on.  So a big NO, I don't always spend for a setup.

i myself try to do some work myself first, and if it's not up to par with how i envision it, i ask a pro look at it for me.
LF:
Ibanez Musician Bass

Offline ermonski

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 10:52:33 PM »
truss rod, action and intonation I can DIY.

fret sanding and electronic sh*t I give them to the pro's. :D

Offline BOOGIE_79

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2012, 08:02:23 AM »
It's hard to say. But based on my observation, many of us underestimate how difficult it is to actually get it. I've seen it a number of times -- guitar players confident with how they intonated their own guitars. But the moment they start soloing over the high frets... ayaw ko na makinig, lalo na pag band setting.

I've seen it lead to people blaming the hardware and/or the electronics as well. This leads to pickup upgrades and whatnot. When that happens, many players don't have the sense to be particular with height and polepiece adjustments either. They end up with souped up, yet still bad sounding guitars. When that happens, for some people, it's off to the Guitar Classifieds!  :wave:

hmm, napaisip ako dahil dito....

Offline morley89

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2014, 08:34:34 PM »
yes,kc kahet ano gawin ko.di ko tlga ma setup ung guitar ko ng maayos.and wala aq tools. :-D

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2014, 11:27:34 PM »
After years of trial and error I'm not afraid anymore to do basic fixes on my guitars.

I can do:
Soldering
Intonation
Refinish

I've also drilled holes on my guitar when I converted the 5-way switch to 3-way toggle switch; and filled the cavity of the middle pickup because I removed it.

The only thing I haven't mastered is adjusting the truss rod.

I tried to make my own pedals but no luck. A/B looper lang ang nagawa ko XD

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 12:32:13 AM »

We are lucky here in the Philippines. We have bonafide luthiers who charge for peanuts, unlike in other countries where they would've made a fortune doing what they do. I say take advantage of it. And if possible, learn from them. Then just maybe, we can start getting the hang of set up fundamentals.

I've seen so many new guitars. Nearly all of them needed at least some degree of tweaking. In my experience with my own gear, isang beses pa lang ako nakabili ng bagong gitara na wala nang gusto galawin yung luthier ko. That eventually didn't happen either, because I had pickups installed and more importantly, our nice Philippine climate wreaked havoc on its bracing. So ayun, major repair and setup din in the end.

Still, I'm in no position to doubt your assessment. Maybe you really are lucky.

Medyo masakit nga sa pride. I know the feeling. But this is actually a good thing. Even if you opt not to have it set up. At least you can try studying what is wrong on your own. You still might not be able to correct things on your own. You might even ruin your guitar if you try too hard. But at least you have a chance of understanding the theory behind it.

spot on. sa amin nga murang refret na yung $400.  the highest i've encountered for a refret is $1400. i told the guy, id just buy an intermediate guitar every time i wear out the frets. LOL.
simple stuff can cost up to a hundred bucks depende sa place. 

kaya peeps here don't easily jump on refretting. tsaka i was told dahil sa mahal ng redressing/refretting marami na din nag aral on their own paano mag refret/redress/relevel.

also another reason why people jump on the Rectify Master product line in first world countries.

reality bites, he did not tell me i was wrong. HE SHOWED ME. suddenly my ears opened up. OO NGA ANO, hindi papala ganun ka intonated ang guitar ko.
another thing. output from my pickups were not balanced. he showed me, i heard it. another light bulb moment. i thougt ok na yung out of the box dimarzio, i dint bother to change the pole pieces. akala ko walang diff yun, at ok lang na wag i adjust.

marami talagang hindi nakasulat sa books or nasa video. minsan meron pero iba yung may kausap ka face to face at ipapaexperience sa iyo yung concept.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:40:21 AM by analog.matt »

Offline Allan_Reamillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2014, 08:15:38 AM »
Yes and it was money well-spent.
I enjoy playing all my guitars.

+1 on Al's and Mojoefly's insights. :)

Offline rmanala

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2014, 09:23:48 AM »
noon pinag aralan kong mag set up etc..hanggang natuto ako,pero indi ako huminto,kaya ngayon gumagawa na ako ng sarili kong electric guitar.huwag lang tayong matakot matuto
HEAVY DAW ANG DATING?!MUKHA NAMAN MGA PRANING!.<fm>

Offline marcus_gloom

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2014, 09:30:02 AM »
I do basic setups only on fender guitar. but on les paul/sg I can't seem the grasp how to do it correctly..  :lol:

Me too Sir Juan, Fenders are a breeze to set-up. but les paul types, I just cant find that sweet spot.  :-( 

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2014, 11:36:14 AM »
Nope..I never spent any money yet for another guy to set my gear up..I usually do it myself..and its great learning experience..and you get you know more about how your instrument works and reacts...I just find the sweet spot ...some can take just 5 minutes some can take days..but its all good..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline voidmain

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2014, 05:20:49 PM »
Initial setup lang for my instruments ang pinag-gagastusan ko. Yung mga susunod na setup, ako na yun.

Soldering, nagpapa-tulong pa ko sa kaibigan.
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2014, 02:47:11 AM »
i "learned" to do basic set-up / intonation on my guitars. i think i can do it well enough, but i always leave it to a pro to do the initial setting up after i buy a new guitar.

yung pro II ko took me some months of looking and working on it. hindi ako familiar sa floating bridge, and i haven't encountered something like what it uses, plus i didn't have the tools to work on it. the tech i brought it too was stumped for a few seconds, but after dismantling the thing and putting it back together, he figured it out then finished the deal within half an hour.

if it was left entirely up to me, i would've end up with another display guitar
Bedroom Rock Guitar

check out my blog @ http://lifeinadreamlessworld.wordpress.com

Offline Tasty

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2014, 01:20:34 PM »
I do pay someone to set up my guitars. I just don't have the time (and interest) to learn how to do it myself. I can do basic intonation and action adjustments though. But for everything else, I'd rather have someone more knowledgeable do it for me.
Change the way you gig with innovative gear upgrades from gigkitty!

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2014, 10:10:37 PM »
Basic set-up and soldering, I can do it. Refret and others that require tools i don't have, I take it to micsis.  :-D

this could be different now right?  :)

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2014, 10:28:28 PM »
this could be different now right?  :)

Yes. ^-^

Offline zisnarf_miranda

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2014, 10:38:47 PM »
before i use to do it myself (intonation, pihit ng truss rod and other basic stuffs kasi masaya din matuto pero these days I just let other people do their magic on my guitar. mismo kasi gawa nila.

wink @Cayle and Chino \m/

Offline BlackandGoldLP

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2014, 11:28:16 PM »
aside from the cost of the strings and some tools/supplies, i haven't spent a dime or centavo on the set-up of my guitars. i started to learn how to set up my guitar at the same time i started learning how to play 20 years ago. now i think i'm better at setting up guitars than playing them :lol:. i probably spent more time tinkering my guitars than playing them. i can do basic set-up, pickup and electronics, did some nut change, minor finishing, and minor fretwork. haven't done a full refret yet but i'm confident i can do it if i have the tools and the time.