hulika

Author Topic: The Kings of Solid State Tone  (Read 10775 times)

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The Kings of Solid State Tone
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2009, 04:16:26 AM »
+1 sir turi

How much would it cost for a weber 12?? plannin to get a replacement for my 8040's stock speakers

Will post prices soon. Sabayan mo na ng Vovox Speaker Cable yan.  :-D
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2009, 04:48:40 AM »
I thought i'd share...

I let go my Fender Hotrod few months ago. I've been so used to the tube tone, having have used JCMs and twins and AC30's and a couple others in gigs and recordings, so I still keep looking for one somehow - the yearning is there. Pero whenever I hear players like these cats, it makes me want to venture the SS realm somehow.

So I bought a Roland microcube (with amp sims) rightafter and although it was ok, it didn't sound as delicate as a tube amp, IMHO it lacks the subtle nuances that tube amps have.

Now I'm with a Roland JC120... I've been with it for quite a little while palang naman. I think it sounds considerable AND very different than the tube tone we know. Pero the main thing I guess is that it has a sound its own...and it's a sound whose overlooked beauty is worth discovering. Kaso andaming factors to obtain an objectively decent tone... lalo na yung tipong tunog that connects to you artistically - guitar/pedal/amp 'compatibility, amp's flexibility with genres, amps response with your techniques....i could go on.

I think I'm up to take this tonal direction (in the meantime atleast) and see what I can come up with.

I think i'm at the point where I've gotten over the traditional tonal pedagogy... wanting to to try something different instead.

I dunno, wala lang, I'm just pondering I guess. :-)
fainaly a thread worth reading....  Hey how's it hangin Mark? Sarap ng jam mo nung gas day me likey your style man rapsa type na type kita fafi hehehe....   I think the JC120 is great although it is much too loud for me.... Have you tried the JC77? I think the JC77 is just perfect I love that amp... I have A JC55 myself but I think the 77 is just a little more flexible... I think these amps are just great all around tone wise....
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 04:51:08 AM by bluenote »

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline daryl090804

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2009, 02:45:15 PM »
probably because of his korg multi-effects.

though I like dimebag's guitar playing, i never liked his tone.

Based from Grady Champion (Dime's guitar tech), the Korg multis were only used during the Trendkill era and only for that album. His rig was basically guitar-->Furman Parametric EQ--->Wah (Vox 847/Dunlop Crybaby)-->MXR Flanger-->Digitech Whammy 1-->MXR 6 Band EQ--->Digitech Whammy 1 (offstage) then split into 3 amp heads, 2 Randall Century RG100's and later on, the Warhead just for cleans.

no man...Jon Donais uses a Krankenstein(Dimebag Darrell signature) and Matt Bachand uses a Krank Revolution 1...and theyre both toobs... :-)

Not anymore. They left Krank amps because of Krank's sh*tty customer/artist relations. They're now using Randall amps. Dunno what exact models though.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 02:51:23 PM by daryl090804 »
Part of the Jackson Bloodline

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2009, 02:46:38 PM »
Solidstate is crap. :D  (runs for cover)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 02:49:58 PM by skunkyfunk »

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2009, 02:58:13 PM »
Solidstate is crap. :D  (runs for cover)

:-D

Pero thanks to SS that it was developed narin. Otherwise anlalaki ng mga appliances natin ngayon with all the tubes chunked in. Imgaine a PC with valves instead of transistors. :-D
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2009, 03:10:35 PM »
To answer the question:

Don Felder used a Fender London Reverb (cool '80s SS amp.)

Steve Vai used a Fender Deluxe 112 in some recordings.  One of which is "The Boy From Seattle" IIRC.

Metallica uses Roland JC-120s for cleans in some songs.

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2009, 03:21:45 PM »
fainaly a thread worth reading....  Hey how's it hangin Mark? Sarap ng jam mo nung gas day me likey your style man rapsa type na type kita fafi hehehe....   I think the JC120 is great although it is much too loud for me.... Have you tried the JC77? I think the JC77 is just perfect I love that amp... I have A JC55 myself but I think the 77 is just a little more flexible... I think these amps are just great all around tone wise....

Ei Johnboy, oks lang bro. Twas nice jammin with you too! Always liked your playing, tas straight to amp ka pa nung GAS day. Ahahaaay charaaap... Fafi narin kita! hehehe

Laki kasi ng JC120 eh kaya ang lakas. Never tried the JC55 and the JC77 though. Pero nung GAS day, pansin ko hirap mag-cut nung SS Crate stack pag kasabayan na yung Juggbox and the Sovtek tube amps.

Hmmm... must be the mid-ish respone ng mga de tubo that makes the Crate drown out of the mix.

Tried a Crate combo sa TMS a couple of months ago (nalimutan ko yung model), decent yung cleans kaso pag dating sa drive channel, ang tinis and napaka-harsh. :lol: I had to adjust my picking style (i.e. how i attack the strings with the pick) to get the tone I want kaso anghirap. :lol:

I think, if you want to get more tone from your fingers...my tradeoff: you have to adjust your playing technique to compliment the gear you're using, that is.

To answer the question:

Steve Vai used a Fender Deluxe 112 in some recordings.  One of which is "The Boy From Seattle" IIRC.

Hmmm. it never occured to me,  although surely the SS feel can be heard on that particular record.

Offline ibanezman

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2009, 03:32:37 PM »
nice jam mga papi, @mark, oo nga natabunan yung tunog ng crate dun sa ten02 nung jam na with sovtek at jugg amp sa gas day, hindi ko na din masyado marinig tunog

Offline glbert

« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2009, 04:03:45 PM »
intention ba talaga ng mga ss amps na i-emulate ang tube sound? kung magkaganun nga, bakit walang tube amp emulating ss sound?  :mrgreen:
Hatankaru:
feature=plcp&context=C3624703UDOEgsToPDskKlm3Q3SJwNn0b34rMFjbp6

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2009, 04:43:29 PM »
^ well, historically NO and NO.

Ang istorya nyang 2 yan boiled down to technological advancement. Google it down for a more indepth info (i.e. the history of valve and transistor technology). :wink:

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2009, 04:57:20 PM »
nice jam mga papi, @mark, oo nga natabunan yung tunog ng crate dun sa ten02 nung jam na with sovtek at jugg amp sa gas day, hindi ko na din masyado marinig tunog

Pero yung 4x12 cab did justice in producing the bottoms somehow. Although hindi ganun ka tight yung low end nya (based on the 1st band's performance), atleast not as tight as a JCM900.

Pero marami paring factors nevertheless. For one i'm sitting on a corner spot in - i believe-  a non-acoustically treated room. So perhaps masyadong exaggerated ang low freqs from where I was sitting. I can't really say. hehe

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2009, 05:28:30 PM »
Ei Johnboy, oks lang bro. Twas nice jammin with you too! Always liked your playing, tas straight to amp ka pa nung GAS day. Ahahaaay charaaap... Fafi narin kita! hehehe

Laki kasi ng JC120 eh kaya ang lakas. Never tried the JC55 and the JC77 though. Pero nung GAS day, pansin ko hirap mag-cut nung SS Crate stack pag kasabayan na yung Juggbox and the Sovtek tube amps.

Hmmm... must be the mid-ish respone ng mga de tubo that makes the Crate drown out of the mix.

Tried a Crate combo sa TMS a couple of months ago (nalimutan ko yung model), decent yung cleans kaso pag dating sa drive channel, ang tinis and napaka-harsh. :lol: I had to adjust my picking style (i.e. how i attack the strings with the pick) to get the tone I want kaso anghirap. :lol:

I think, if you want to get more tone from your fingers...my tradeoff: you have to adjust your playing technique to compliment the gear you're using, that is.

Hmmm. it never occured to me,  although surely the SS feel can be heard on that particular record.

As Ive said before yun na nga yun nag aajust talaga ang technique pag d mo gusto ang nadidinig mo hehehe kaya dba dati sabi ko tone is in the ears hehehe....  :-D

I feel that the crate was just not set up properly pwede pa i crank yung volume nun eh... napansin ko lang wala ata nag attempt ta i adjust ang volume nung crate...

Im planning to invite Pido to my house one of these days let me know who is interested so I can set a dte na pwede lahat ng may gusto madami tayo matututunan dun kahit sa kwentohan lang pero syempre pwede ba naman mawala ang jamingan hehehe....  :-D

Iwas thinking this saturday what do you guys think?

Offline ibanezman

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2009, 05:36:24 PM »
@mark buti hindi mo naiwan yung board mo sa likod ng pickup, pati kay abstract muntik na haha

@bluenote - ayus yan john boy sa haus nyo, sorry hindi tyo natuloy dun, hindi ka namin napansin ni abstract nasa mini stop ka nun kumakaway, sobra traffic at dami harang nung gabi nun panay check point kasi, mga wat tym sakali sa sat.?

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2009, 05:40:58 PM »
@mark buti hindi mo naiwan yung board mo sa likod ng pickup, pati kay abstract muntik na haha

@bluenote - ayus yan john boy sa haus nyo, sorry hindi tyo natuloy dun, hindi ka namin napansin ni abstract nasa mini stop ka nun kumakaway, sobra traffic at dami harang nung gabi nun panay check point kasi, mga wat tym sakali sa sat.?

I will ask Pido what time he will be free then Ill make a thread about it...

kakainis yung mga harang harang noh pam pa gulo...  :-D

Offline ibanezman

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
@bluenote, cge bro, oo badtrip nga eh, ang layo ng inikot namin lumabas na kami ng katipunan tapos ikot kami hindi na pala pwede bumalik pa teacher's village  :x

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2009, 06:39:16 PM »
I will ask Pido what time he will be free then Ill make a thread about it...

kakainis yung mga harang harang noh pam pa gulo...  :-D

Sige ganun na lang. Looking forward. :-)

@Ibanezman - di ko talaga iiwan yun. Di akin yun eh.hahaha Thanks for the ride pare. Sakto pang gig yung pickup truck mo.hehehe  :-D

Offline shredmonster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2009, 10:16:02 PM »
OT i got a question is it true that an amp with crystal cleans like a fender accepts dirt pedals nicely?

cause if thats true i can just get an ss 60watt amp with crystal cleans and put a dirt pedal to save money on expensive amps

GO TO DMC!!!  GO TO DMC!!!  GO TO DMC!!!

Offline toybitz

« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2009, 01:08:15 AM »
OT i got a question is it true that an amp with crystal cleans like a fender accepts dirt pedals nicely?

cause if thats true i can just get an ss 60watt amp with crystal cleans and put a dirt pedal to save money on expensive amps

its gotta do with your guitar too Shredmonster.

the equation is always whatever you send to your amp, equals the output whether you desire it or not.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline marcopolo

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2018, 02:04:56 PM »
whats the best ss amp available locally? Thanks

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2018, 06:32:04 PM »
whats the best ss amp available locally? Thanks

roland jc 120
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2018, 06:56:20 PM »
roland jc 120

Yup. If space and portability is not an issue...Go for the JC-120.

If space and portability is an issue...Vox MV series. Kelangan mo nga lang ng cabinet.
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline inexperience

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2018, 09:16:50 AM »
Does anyone own the Vox MV50 Clean? How does it take dirt pedals?
"creeping deeaath"

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2018, 10:36:08 AM »
Bandit 112 is always a reliable performer

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline voidmain

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2018, 06:28:05 AM »
Yup. If space and portability is not an issue...Go for the JC-120.

If space and portability is an issue...Vox MV series. Kelangan mo nga lang ng cabinet.
Isn't the Vox MV series considered as a hybrid amp since meron siyang "tube" in the for of a nano tube?
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2018, 02:13:12 PM »
well, there is the jc 40 if the jc 120 is too loud and too huge for someone's needs.
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"